Start by marking “Embassy of the Dead” as Want to Read:
Embassy of the Dead

Embassy of the Dead

The first book in a spookily funny new series, where the living meets the dead and survival is a race against time. Perfect for fans of Skulduggery Pleasant and Who Let the Gods Out.

Welcome to the Embassy of the Dead. Leave your life at the door. (Thanks.)

When Jake opens a strange box containing a severed finger, he accidentally summons a grim reaper to drag him to the Ete
Published June 14th 2018 by Orion Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Embassy of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embassy of the Dead

Susan
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book, aimed at children who are approximately 9+. Author, Will Mabbitt, wrote the wonderful, “The Unlikely Adventures of Mabel Jones,” which my daughter adored and so she was keen to read this. Now, it is a bit creepy, so you do need to bear that in mind – it is often funny, rather than scary, but, if you have a particularly nervous child then this might not be for them. However, it will be absolutely fine for most children and is great fun to read aloud.

Jake Green is a perf
Yolanda Sfetsos
After reading such a serious and brilliant book last week, I was looking forward to getting stuck into something lighter and fun, but still somewhat spooky.

That's when this book caught my eye. I mean, look at the cover! It's very cool.

Jake is twelve and isn't very happy about his home life situation. His parents have split up and live in different places, but he wishes they were still together. At least he's got a school trip coming up, and will get to hang out with his friend Sab.

But when a st
Stefania Siano
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 stelle

Un’avventura frizzante e dai toni grotteschi.

Jake è un bambino di dodici anni che vive una situazione molto delicata perché i genitori sono separati. Il ragazzino sta con al madre, la quale lo riempie di attenzioni e premure, mentre con il padre ha un rapporto problematico. Un giorno Jake incontra un individuo dall’aspetto lugubre di nome Stiffkey, il quale gli consegna per sbaglio una scatola con all’interno un dito mozzato. Per questo errore Jake verrà perseguitato dalla Congregazio
Katy Noyes
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mix-up in identity leads to a fantastical after-life adventure that has a fresh feel to it.

It's a little different, a younger read to Derek Landy's Skulduggery Pleasant series that create a world of the dead. It gets off the ground quickly and scoops up the main character in a fast-paced exploit with a fair backstory of characters, plotlines and terms.

Jake unwittingly enters a rather dark and scary world when he signs for a box that's not intended for him. Now the Dead are after him and if he do
Masoome
یه کتاب یه کم ترسناک، درباره پسر بچه ای که اشتباها درگیر اتفاقات دنیای مردگان می شه...
جیک همراه یک شبح تلاش می کنه با آزاد کردن دو شبح دیگه، دنیای زنده ها رو نجات بده.

ویرایش کتاب ضعیف بود، اما ترجمه خوب بود.
Siusan
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting, cute, a little gross, definitely funny
Sarah Seddon
To be completely honest, I had a little difficulty reading this book, as it is completely outside my interests and is not the kind of book I would pick up and read if I had a choice. I can see though that it would appeal to many young readers, perhaps those not quite ready for the Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy. As this book has a small number of illustrations, and the chapters are quite short, its style is appealing for a younger audience. The cover is witty and appealing, and draws ...more
Iestyn Long
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light-hearted paranormal adventure!

This tickled my fancy. A book for children, but it was right up my alley. I love anything with ghosts and ghouls in it and Embassy of the Dead, as you can imagine from the title, is full of them.

I particularly liked the bonewulf. I've got a fascination with crossing animals or creatures to create something new and weird. Love it!

'It was like no animal that he'd seen before. It seemed to be formed from the assembled remains of whatever dead creatures had the
Gilly
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jake is twelve and isn't happy with his life since his mum and dad split up. At least he has a school trip coming up with his best friend Sab.Then one day a strange man wearing a top hat hands him a box. Curiosity gets the better of him and he opens his box and finds a severed finger.Now he finds himself teaming up with the strange man who is an undertaker named Stiffkey. Jake now finds himself getting out of the school trip unbeknown to his parents and taking his dads camper van to run from the ...more
WhatBookNext .com
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The most exciting thing Jake Green was supposed to be doing was attending a school camp. But when a ghost unexpectedly hands him a strange package, life becomes far more exciting than he thinks he can handle.

Curiosity overwhelms him and he opens the package – which is the worst possible thing he could have done. A secret organisation called The Embassy of the Dead has now issued a Death Order against him, unleashing one of the worst Grim Reapers. Oh yes, there’s more than one, and they love foll
Julie Garner
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, kids
I received an advanced reading copy of this book.
Funny, spooky and exciting, this book has it all for kids aged 10+
Due to a misunderstanding, Jake suddenly finds himself on the run from the Embassy of the Dead with an old grumpy ghost by his side. He soon finds himself with Cora who was meant to be a poltergeist and Zorro the sad ghost fox with him. All of his escaping comes from driving the VW campervan of his dad's that he borrowed - by the way, did I mention that Jake is a teenager??
We follow
Michelle
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, humour
If you've just finished the awesome "The Unlikely Adventures of Mabel Jones" series, then I'd recommend trying to forget that the same author has written this book. It's not that this book is awful, I enjoyed it a lot, but it is hard to go from the hilarious Mabel Jones to the slightly more spooky and funny-in-a-different-way Embassy of the Dead.

The other tip I have is to not read the blurb. These are my pet peeve at the moment. Just like those annoying film trailers that give away most of the
Seawood
What fun! This is a great quest story - poor old Jake finds himself dragged into the clandestine dealings of the mysterious Embassy of the Dead, and he's got three days to undo the mistake and save the world, or be cast into the Eternal Void! With a Reaper on his tail, a terrifying and icky artefact in his possession, and a very funny group of ghostly sidekicks, he's got to dodge pursuit, find a way around the Embassy's Byzantine bureaucracy AND stop his parents finding out that he's not really ...more
Lloyd Mackenzie
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Do you believe in ghosts? What would you do if a ghost appeared right in front of you and offered up a parcel in exchange for a signature?

Jake is not afraid of ghosts and he most definitely signed for the parcel. A small, simple thing that would change his life in a very big way.

Just by opening the box and finding the finger, a Death Order was placed on him by the strict Embassy of the Dead. On the run and in need of a solid plan to survive, he teams up with the ghostly deliveryman, Stiffkey, a
Pauline
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an exciting beginning to a new series from the author of The Unlikely Adventures of Mabel Jones. Due to a series of events, including being in the wrong place at the wrong time, a case of mistaken identity and over-eager unpackaging of boxes Jake finds himself on the run from the Embassy of the Dead. The Embassy of the Dead police the divide between the worlds of the Earthly Plane and the Afterworld and make sure the two worlds remain separate. Jake is already dealing with a lot: his par ...more
Sarria Butler
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
A fantastic read for 9+, though I think I'll find it hard to sell to the parents. "It's humorous, adventurous and all to do with the dead!" Adults already get freaked out when told there's a death in the book!
But I digress.

This charming little novel is a lot of fun. Jake's relationship with his best friend, though we don't actually meet him is one of my favourite aspects of the storyline. A couple of 12 year olds calling each other idiot at the end of every sentence; ahh, to be a tween again.
Nicole
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this book so gave it to my 9 {and 3 quarters} yrs old son to read and he is loving it so much has just done his book review homework on it.
Instead of going on the school trip he gets given a severed finger in a box {Called The Damned Thing} and lots of Undead want to get hold of it.
Ghosts have people called Undoers who help those who have not been able to pass over. With one of these helping him but with a pack on bonewulfs and 'Mawkins' a grim reaper after him can he get the finger back t
Brindy
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The cover intrigued me initially and, having read the back blurb and the first page, I knew this was my kind of book. Aimed at a 9+ reader, its topic is not for everyone, but the ghosts are more funny than scary. By being in the wrong place at the wrong time Jake comes to the attention of the Embassy of the Dead. Aided by Stiffkey, who got him into the mess in the first place, Jake's journey soon has him on the run.

I enjoyed the idea of the reason there are different types of
Bryan D
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Will Mabbitt has written a novel, yes he's already entertained us with the very fun Mabel Jones trilogy but they were more pictures than words whereas this is a very good solid novel with likeable characters, great twists and a clever take on the oh no I've just been given a severed finger and now I've pissed off the dead, help is required, genre.
Although I did enjoy it, there is a section which a lot of kid books have where I did get a little bit bored but that was soon rectified and joy resume
Theediscerning
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Consider this a stronger fantasy read for the older primary schoolchild (and don't believe the British cover artwork, it reads a lot more mature than that looks). Stronger in that it involves many dead people, reanimated animals, and a gruesome body part. But also stronger in that it's really quite involving and engaging, with a great narrative flow. I guess the older reader will see a little too much coming, and it is a little clunky at times, both in forming its mythology and in building a tea ...more
Dan
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of my ten year old....

HAHAHA!! What a wonderful book by a wonderful author! I loved Mabel Jones so I was excited about this. From the first page, this awesome book had me enthralled by the mysterious goings-on. The intriguing storyline didn't go the way I expected - it had an unexpected plot twist! This book has it all, including so-awful-they're-funny puns, cryptic characters and mysteries that annoyed me so much I had to keep reading to find out the ending! I can't wait for the
Karen Barber
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A story with humour, for fans of Skullduggery Pleasant.
Jake find himself on the wrong end of a meeting with a spirit. He takes possession of a box - and, without thinking, opens it. Inside is a severed finger. For Jake it’s also the start of a rather surreal adventure.
Jake finds himself hunted by employees of the Embassy of the Dead, and in his quest to avoid being sent to the Eternal Void he ends up befriending a Possessor, communing with the dead and doing all he can to keep his life.
Slightly
I Read, Therefore I Blog
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Will Mabbitt’s spooky fantasy novel for children aged 9+ (the first in a series) features some cracking illustrations by Chris Mould (I particularly liked Zorro the ghost fox) and a well-crafted plot peppered with some good jokes, interesting side characters (I especially liked Cora, a hockey stick wielding ghost stuck inside a school cup) and a relatable main character in Jake and I would definitely check out the sequel.
Green Jazz Blues
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, this is certainly a new twist on a rather macabre subject which is quite hilariously told.
However, I did not like the parent divorce subject - Awful.
Also, I was extremely taken aback to find there will be a series on this book.
All I can reveal is that had it not been for a bizarre mistake, the three worlds in this story would be thrown into disaster - However, they're all saved by an unlikely hero called Jake.
Zoe
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun read, full of jokes, scares and a few ghosts. All in a days work! A great start to a new series and I'm excited to see what happens next for our lead character and his friendly (or not so friendly) ghost.
Izzy
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
great book for young readers wanting some excitement. i couldn't put the book down
Abbie merchant
Shelves: children-s
Fun little book.
Stephen Baird
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story of a misunderstanding, but a misunderstanding that drags Jake Green into the Embassy of the Dead in a race against time and could cost him his life.

From the start this is a fast-paced adventure with a lot of humour and spookiness, with a great central character who seems constantly confused at the start but really shines by the end of the story.

Jake is assisted by a couple of great supporting, but ghostly, characters.

Will Mabbitt’s world beyond the veil is a well thought out and executed
Mason