Start by marking “The Storyteller's Throne” as Want to Read:
The Storyteller's Throne

The Storyteller's Throne

Grace was born a storyteller with a beautifully brilliant mind. Trauma twisted her reality into a tale of darkness. Now, at eighteen, Grace has found herself on the shores of a shadow world created to heal a generation. A world whose purpose is to release our emotions from the bonds of youth.

But she is not alone. It's a world inhabited by others, those working on their ow
Published May 14th 2018 by Jocelyn Bates

To ask other readers questions about The Storyteller's Throne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Storyteller's Throne

Luupi "The Reading Queen"
1.5 stars TW: Rape and self-harm (A lot of it and graphic)

It wasn't that I didn't like this book, it was that I didn't understand it and that's so sad. I still don't really know how to express what The Storyteller's Throne made me feel but I'm going to try anyway.

Let's begin with the things I did like. I really liked the messages this book portraits , it talks about how we should never suppress our emotions because it can get too overwhelming and it's better to embrace them and let them free.
Bailey Ember
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel is unlike anything I have read. I think that it is a great testament to the imagination of a writer that I can say that. This novel really kept me on my toes as far as expecting the unexpected.

There is a lot going on and a lot to understand since you are diving into a new world. I think that Jocelyn Bates really managed to keep her readers up to speed by giving them just enough along the way without making them feel lost or bogged down with information. It really shined light on to th
Gordon Long
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a book of gentle fantasy dealing with terrible situations. It disguises the horrors of life with allegory and poetry, allowing the characters to recognize their vulnerabilities and become whole again in the loving, supportive environment of a fantasy world.

The main character, Grace, spends the first part of the tale remembering and dealing with a sexual abuse incident that happened when she was six years old. Her new friend, Kai, suffers from a surfeit of empathy that causes the emotion
Jolie
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was intrigued when I read the blurb for The Storyteller’s Throne. A woman, scarred by traumatic events that happened in her life, finds herself in a world that can help her heal. It caught my interest. I wanted to know how this world would help her heal. I also wanted to know who Kai was and why Grace had such a connection to him. So I decided to read the book. For the most part, I liked the book. But it was the direction the book took towards the end that made me go “WTH” and give it the rati ...more
Sandra
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Grace was born a natural storyteller. She could tell a story in a way that would change and influence people’s lives. One day, when she was six years old, she had to tell a story of dire importance. But when no one would listen to this all-important story, she began to deal with her trauma in destructive ways. Just as Grace was at the end of her rope and about to do something terrible and irrevocable, she was flung into a magical shadow world. There, she worked on dealing with trauma and improvi ...more
Barbara
Jan 24, 2019 added it
Shelves: review-books
Unfortunately, I ended up DNFing this book. From the beginning there was a lot of showing of the book. I understand that some of it was needed to set up the story, but it kind of felt like someone was leading me through the book instead of letting me experience it myself. There wasn't much dialogue to the story for my taste either. I really enjoy seeing characters interacting with each other, seeing how they respond to each other's comments and concerns. Keep in mind this doesn't mean this was a ...more
Jackie
Aug 04, 2018 added it
Shelves: arcs, dnf
dnf @ 15%

I can’t make myself read a story about the rape of a child no matter how hard the author tries to mask the horrors with a fantasy derived from her mind trying to cope with the trauma.
Sam Ehresman
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this genre of books. I was sucked in by page 10! I look forward to reading the rest of it! I like the authors writing style. This is going to be one of those books I can't put down!
RABT Book Tours and PR
Oct 10, 2018
Jordan
added it
Oct 19, 2018
Jocelyn Bates is a homeschooling mama to three and an arts therapist. She lives in Nj and writes in the elusive quiet that settles in the earliest of hours.