Start by marking “Bikes for Sale” as Want to Read:
Bikes for Sale

Bikes for Sale

Maurice rides his bike to his shop every day. Lotta rides her bike to collect sticks every day. Both go about their separate routines, unaware of the friendship that awaits them just a few blocks away. But what happens when a branch and a lemon peel get in the way?
Published April 2nd 2019 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Bikes for Sale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bikes for Sale

Start your review of Bikes for Sale
Lata
Light story about friendship and cooperation with cute, bold images.
Abigail
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Maurice and Lotta both loved their bicycles, using them to sell lemonade, in Maurice's case, and to gather and give out sticks, in Lotta's. But when they meet with misfortune, in the form of a stick and a banana peel, and their bikes are wrecked, it looks like the end of their riding fun. Fortunately, what is now junk to them offers possibilities to Sid, the bicycle repairman, and he cobbles together a new mega-bike. It is this new vehicle that brings Maurice and Lotta together...

The third pictu
Barbara
Appealingly bright acrylic illustrations complement a story about friendship and innovation. The opening and closing lines that are so similar except for their verb tenses bookend the story quite well and allow readers to think about it on different levels. I couldn't help thinking about the positives and negatives to shiny newness. Maurice loves his bright yellow bike, which he uses to haul his lemonade cart. Lotta also loves her bike, and she uses it on her explorations as she gathers sticks. ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Maurice rides a lemonade stand bike.

Lotta rides a red bike with a big basket for hauling things.

Then Maurice crashes.

Then Lotta crashes.

How can things be made right?

A fresh story about “new and old, serendipity and fate, problems and solutions, and lost and found.”
Sara Grochowski
Holy macaroni! What a book! <3 ...more
Susie
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A simple concept done well. There are lots of nuances in here that students might get on a re-read.
Pam
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Charming story about two animals who ride their bikes for work and fun every day. Both bikes are ruined in crashes accidentally caused by the other. The two give up on their bikes and try getting around in other ways. A third character fixes them and creates a tandem bike. Together they bring both of their joy filled businesses back to life.
Clever illustrations bring the text to life. Lessons in community and working together as well as finding your role in life.
Tasha
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Maurice has a bright yellow bicycle attached to his lemonade stand. He never lacks for customers even as he drives through town, into the park with best lemon trees, and then onward. Everyone wants to buy his lemonade. Lotta rides her red bicycle to gather sticks every day. She gave them away for free. The two of them never met, but one day Maurice’s bike crashed because of a stick and Lotta’s bike smashed because of some lemon peels. The two of them tried to move on past their ruined bicycles, ...more
Julie Hedlund
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Absolutely adored this book. It's rare to find a book perfect for young kids where all of the characters are so well-developed and with an unexpected, yet perfect, outcome. If you want to share the simple sweetness of a timeless summer story with your kiddos, this is it!
Alex  Baugh
Maurice rides his bike all over town, selling lemonade from it, and he always has plenty of customers. Lotta collects sticks all over town on her bike, because everyone loves sticks and they are so versatile - they can become anything you can imagine while you play. But one day, Maurice and Lotta both have accidents that leaves their bikes broken. Abandoning them, the bike are found by Sid, who knows just what to do with the broken bikes in his repair shop. Maurice and Lotta each see the sign "B ...more
Gmr
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Initially, I wasn't enamored...though I think it was the abstract way the story unfolded and the color palette utilized that did it for me; in hindsight, it had it's own cute factor. It tells of an unlikely friendship developing from an unfortunate meeting thanks to chance, circumstance, and the particularly awesome skills of one bicycle shop owner. Both Maurice and Lotta are dedicated to their chosen crafts and when those are put on pause, it obviously saddens their hearts. When they discover t ...more
RedPoppyReading
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story of how two kids and two bikes become friends is an absolute delight! Maurice sells lemonade (aka “squeezy drops of sunshine”) all around town to his customers on his lemonade stand bike. Lotta collects sticks on her bike and shares them with everyone she meets. Two bike accidents lead to the kids trying to figure out how to entertain themselves without their bikes. Luckily someone new sees great potential in the two broken bikes, bringing the two children together for new adventures! ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The end reminds me a bit of old Reese's commercials "You got chocolate in my peanut butter!" "And you got peanut butter on my chocolate!".

Maurice rides all over selling glasses of lemonade until an unfortunate accident wrecks his bike.
Lotte rides all over collecting sticks and sharing them with those who want them, until an unfortunate accident wrecks her bike.
They meet many of the same people, but there's no sign that they ever meet each other.

Without their bikes, they can't continue what they
Keshia
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
@kidlitexchange #partner Thanks to the #kidlitexchange network and publisher @chroniclebooks for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own! This is a cute little story about Maurice and Lotta, who love to ride their bikes. They go about their separate days. It takes a branch and a lemon to bring these two friends together! The artwork is darling and adds a cute and fun element to the story. I also enjoyed the reminder of what can happen when you take a pause in your day to notice th ...more
Alexis Hughes
Bikes for sale was a really cute book for all kids. Maurice and Lotta were not friends but they did the same thing almost. Except one sold lemonade and one sold sticks. It was a very good book for younger kids and for them to see what it's like to make friends. They both wrecked their bikes and then a few days later saw a sign that said something about fixed bikes for sale, they both go to the shop and the two bikes are attached together. They then go back to 5th street and they start selling th ...more
Becky B
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Maurice rides his bike every day to provide lemonade to eager customers. Lotta riders her bike every day to collect sticks and redistribute them to those who want them. When each of their bikes have accidents Maurice and Lotta try going by foot, but they eventually seek out new transportation.

This book has such a unique plot line. Have you even thought of a character who redistributes sticks to those who want them? The ending that combines the characters' distribution routes and helps them find
This is a super cute story about a chipmunk (a character I haven't seen since Chip and Dale) and a hedgehog who both ride their bikes through the park for different purposes. Maurice sells lemonade from his and Lotta collects sticks with hers. One day a disaster forces them to abandon their bikes. Fortunately, Sid, who knows all about bikes, finds and repairs their bikes. When they both end up in the shop looking for a new bike, they make a surprising purchase, and a wonderful new friendship beg ...more
Nadina
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-e
This was lovely, but it just didnt quite 100% do it for me. I guess in reality it would be a 3.5, but I'm being generous because the meaning behind the book is sweet and also a bit nostalgic as an adult thinking back on your own friendships.
It starts as the stories for two separate characters and eventually right at the end of the book the stories join together, over the bond of bikes.
The illustrations weren't bad, and I liked the pace and layout. I really liked the map of the park too.
Not bad
Michelle Schaub
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Carter Higgins creates another masterpiece in her unique lyrical style. This book is a delightful celebration of renewal and friendship with scrumptiously sunshiny words on each page. Zachariah OHora’s illustrations are a feast for the eyes. Bike riders, stick collectors, lemonade sippers, and readers of all ages will love this book.
Jess
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
July 2019 - I love the concept, and Ben recognized that it's the same illustrator as that classic, Wolfie the Bunny (he said the bunnies at the park were the same family). ...more
Mary
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wish-list, makers
Maurice and Lotta each have a bike. They ride all over each pursuing their hobbies. Then, they each have a crash and their bikes are ruined. But Sid knows how to restore and re-purpose broken bikes. The results are satisfying to both former bike owners. The neighborhood map on the end-papers is a bonus! Possible tie-in with Earth Day or Maker's emphasis. Use to identify motif.
Sheri
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Maurice and Lotta have bikes and choose to use them to sell lemonade or collect sticks. When their bikes crash from items left in the road, they try finding something else to do. But they really miss their bike. Lucky for them, Sid the raccoon rebuilds bikes. The ending brings them all together.
Angela
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
Maurice is busy with his lemonade business. Lotta collects and distributes sticks. They zip around on their bikes unaware of each other until disaster strikes their bikes and leads to a chance meeting.
Shannon
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An uplifting story about finding friendship and joy in the unexpected. The lyrical language and adorable pictures exceeded our expectations and left us feeling warm and fuzzy. In the words of my 6-year old "I thought it was just going to be about selling bikes, but it was so much more..."
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
"No matter where she rode, she always had room for one more." --one more what? Language a little ambiguous--I wish that the bikes were referred to as bikes and not always "this one" "that one" and "they". Overall a little esoteric.
Norkett
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
We enjoyed the cute story about making friends. It was fun trying to identify the type of animal Maurice is. A closing statement about friendship didn't make sense but we thought the story was great up until those last couple pages.
Lynn  Davidson
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maurice and Lotta - who don't know each other - each drive a bike to gather things to share with others. One day they both crash their bikes, and through coincidence a friendship begins. Nicely illustrated.
Ashley Baker
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
The writing was kinda clunky. I liked the pictures but Ive seen better from this illustrator. The lemonade cups were cute but it made me sad to see them littered here and there. Overall I did like the book and it has a sweet message of friendship and sharing.
Kim
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
When life gives you lemons you make lemonade.
Theresa Grissom
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Edelweiss for an ARC of this book!

I loved this adorable picture book. Great lessons to share from this book. I will definitely be purchasing this one for my school library.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lubna and Pebble
  • A Piglet Named Mercy
  • When Sadness Is at Your Door
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
Carter is a librarian at an independent school in Los Angeles. She is the author of A Rambler Steals Home (HMH, 2017) and two forthcoming picture books from Chronicle Books. She is an Emmy-winning visual effects and motion graphics artist. She writes about picture books and graphic design at her blog, Design of the Picture Book, and you can find her on Twitter @carterhiggins.

News & Interviews