Start by marking “American Panda” as Want to Read:
American Panda

American Panda

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  7,621 ratings  ·  1,949 reviews
At seventeen, Mei should be in high school, but skipping fourth grade was part of her parents' master plan. Now a freshman at MIT, she is on track to fulfill the rest of this predetermined future: become a doctor, marry a preapproved Taiwanese Ivy Leaguer, produce a litter of babies.

With everything her parents have sacrificed to make her cushy life a reality, Mei can't bri
Published February 6th 2018 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about American Panda, please sign up.
Gloria Chao Thank you so much, Keira! AMERICAN PANDA will be released February 6, 2018!
Gloria Chao Hi Anjalee! Thank you so much for your interest in AMERICAN PANDA! I do believe that the book releases in the UK on Feb 6th, which is confirmed on the…moreHi Anjalee! Thank you so much for your interest in AMERICAN PANDA! I do believe that the book releases in the UK on Feb 6th, which is confirmed on the Amazon UK page for the book (https://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Pan...). Thank you again so much for your support! Can't wait for you to read! (less)

·  7,621 ratings  ·  1,949 reviews

Start your review of American Panda
Elle (ellexamines)
“You don’t even know what Ying-Na is doing. Everything you hear is a rumor. For all you know, she could be a neurosurgeon married to a billionare tech god.” Or maybe she’s struggling but happy. I kept this thought to myself since my mom wouldn’t understand the value of that life.

4 1/2 stars. What a lovely, lovely surprise. American Panda is ownvoices contemporary fic about a Taiwanese-American girl struggling with her strict parents and with trying to carve her own path. And holy crap. It’s
Cristina Monica
This should have been a winner. Mei, the main character, is Taiwanese-American. She is a college student. I could probably count on one hand the number of YA novels with college settings that are published every year.

The culture is great. Every chapter introduces the reader to a new characteristic of the Chinese culture. Some, however, are not well explained, such as why certain numbers are considered bad luck, but most are fairly straight-forward.

But the problem is that even if this book is cle
Caz (littlebookowl)
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Rating: 4.5 stars

I listened to this on audio and would certainly recommend! I really enjoyed the narrator, and adored the story and our characters.
Danielle
This was another okay/quick read. May is a 17 year old M.I.T. med student, highly pressurized by her strict Chinese parents to be the perfect child and not disgrace the family. 😇 I definitely didn’t experience this kind of pressure with school or career choices growing up. It’s kind of a sad story. As a parent I’ll never understand disowning your own child. It just sounds crazy to me. 🤯
Angelica
I loved this so much! I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It was equal parts funny and earnest, heartwarming and heartbreaking and it was so good!

I laughed so hard while reading this book. And no, I don’t mean awkward little smiles and little huffs of air. No. I actually laughed out loud the entire time. I was reading it between class breaks at school and I keep getting weird looks from people as I tried to contain my laughter. And the way I see it, if a book can make you look like a fool an
emma
Things that were absolutely full-on remarkable/fantastic/excellent/next-level/choose-your-own-positive-adjective about this book:
- the representation
- the character development
- the family relationships

This book is some of the best cultural representation I've ever. Read. In. My. LIFE. Our main character, Mei, is Taiwanese-American (the daughter of Taiwanese immigrants). The culture is so well-included it's unreal. So fascinating and intertwined with the lives of Mei and her family without being
Heather
3/5

A cute, adorable diverse read!!!

Will feature it very soon in a mashup review!!
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

🌟 I read this for the Yule Bingo Challenge, for the category of Cedric: friendship goals. For more info on this challenge, click here. 🌟

This is ARE YOU THERE GOD? IT'S ME, MARGARET from a Taiwanese perspective. Seriously. Seriously. I have waded through disappointing YA all year - and finally, finally, I have read one that was the ground-breaking, emotionally moving experience that I was expecting. And you know what the funny thing is?
alexandra
this is the first book that made me feel like my asian-american-ness is seen. forever grateful. full review to come.
may ❀
this was absolutely one book that SHOCKED me with how amazing it was. here i was thinking it was gonna be a cute, little contemporary, that includes some Taiwanese rep but NO NONONONON THIS BOOK IS SO MUCH MORE

the way the author explores and delves into the culture and traditions as well as all the superstitions and outrageous expectations parents have for their children was SO EYEOPENING

i loved how both narratives were explored. like yes we get to it from Mei's side, the overbearing parents tha
Fafa's Book Corner
Omg this was so good!

Going to be rereading this when it comes out.
Romie
Dearest Reader,
I wrote American Panda because it was the book I needed in high school and the book I needed when I decided to put my dental career aside to try writing, which I had no experience in.

This is also a book I would have needed in high school or during my three years of pre-med school. People can say all they want, but reading a book and being able to relate to it is probably one of the best feelings ever; I am but one Asian kid among many others, and I wish for them to find themselves
Amy Leigh
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this! It's well-written and engaging. I couldn't put it down! There are some laugh out loud moments and times you wish you could reach in and give Mei a hug or a high five. (Not that she would like that.)

Mei is a Taiwanese-American seventeen year old who is starting her freshman year at MIT. She tries so hard to appease her very traditional parents while her mother constantly speaks negatively about her. She hides her Japanese crush turned boyfriend from her parents because that is the w
monica kim
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
There's something magical about reading a book and feeling so seen. Multiple elements of this story were things I've never seen another book tackle when it comes to growing up Asian. But this is a book anyone can relate to - it's all about the struggle of wanting to be who you are while also being what your family expects of you. The story was poignant and funny, and I can't wait to read future books by Gloria.
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

17-year-old Mei should be in high school, but skipping a grade was all part of her parent's plan for her to go to MIT become a doctor, marry a preapproved Taiwanese Ivy Leaguer, and produce a litter of babies. When she reconnects with her brother, Xing, the truth she's carefully constructed starts to waver and the truth leaks out: she hates germs, falls asleep in biology lectures, and has a crush on her classmate Darren Takahashi, who is decide
Fuzaila
It bothers me that when you hear ‘POC’ or ‘diversity’ it almost always means half-American and half-whatever-culture-they-represent.
Not that it is this book’s fault or anything, but where are those books featuring Indian, Chinese, Japanese, African, Taiwanese, Vietnamese, Australian, French, Dutch and characters from every other nation out there? Where are the books written by people from these nations? WHY AREN’T BOOKS SET IN THESE BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL LANDS? Why are people so interested in Ame
Trina (Between Chapters)
Torn on my rating because although I thought this was really sweet, it's been a few days since I finished this and I don't remember much about it. I did enjoy the fat rep because this character is physically active (she's a dancer) and she herself did not seem to think of her weight as an "issue," although it is brought up a few times by her parents.

Audio rating: Narration was good. Two of my personal audiobook pet peeves are when the narrator sounds clearly older than the teenage character they
Tatiana
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: starred-2018, ya, 2018, 3
I wish the author made an attempt to think bigger and be more creative. A lot of the plot is too familiar and predictable (it's mostly the Asian-tiger-parents-pushing-for-med-school scenario) and the romance, while sweet, is kind of bland and not memorable. Overall it gave me a feeling of a very rookie novel.

Chao captured the voice of a nagging/threatening/pleading tiger mom very well though. Just reading conversations with this "mom" gave me anxiety attacks. Can't imagine having to live in a fa
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
This Kiwi-Panda has mixed feelings about American Panda.

On one hand:
- I didn't find myself in this book, though many others did and I'm thankful for that. Nonetheless, I appreciated American Panda's narrative, its honesty and its vulnerability.
- There were some truly tender moments that made me shed a tear, particularly the stuff that were related to her family.
- I enjoyed Chao's unapologetic and seamless integration of Taiwanese culture into the narrative, and I liked that it wasn't dense wit
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Very, very cute and quite funny too!
Faye*
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First of all, how cute is this cover!!

Secondly, I am not Asian so I have no idea how accurate the depiction of Chinese culture is in this book. But it was very interesting to read about and I'm happy that I read this, if only to learn more about the culture and struggles of Taiwanese-Americans.

Thirdly, I loved the Chinese sprinkled in. I don’t speak Chinese so, again, no idea how well this was done, but I loved the sound of it in the audio book.

Fourthly, I was disappointed in this book. Yes, it
chloe ♡
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, review-copy
LOVE THIS SO MUCH! 我很愛這本書喔 (。♥‿♥。)

1. IT'S SO, SO RELATABLE.

I'm Chinese, and I could really relate to some of the family stuff Mei had to deal with. My parents are not as traditional as Mei's, BUT - I'M REALLY FAMILIAR WITH A LOT OF STUFF IN THIS BOOK AND IT FEELS GOOD, YA KNOW?

Stinky tofu! It's one of my favorite Chinese street foods and although it stinks, it tastes so delicious *drools* (Sadly, Mei doesn't like stinky tofu D:)

Insecurities - Mei is dissatisfied with the size of her nose, and
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
The cultural aspect of this was very strong - I was fascinated by all of the Chinese customs. I liked the main character a lot, but I did feel like the plot was a bit rushed and some of the side characters were underdeveloped. Overall, this was a really cute read and it had a lot of shining moments. It made me emotional more than once!
Shenwei
it's rare to find a book where I can read along and be like "it me" and yell because the references are so familiar and this is one of them. *cries in ownvoices*
the cover image makes the story seem a bit lighter than you might expect since it gets really heavy at some points with the family drama, I felt like I was being punched in the gut. :'(
I feel like I need to make a playlist for this book now.
Lily ☁️
When the author herself tweets you, saying that she hopes you enjoy her book, you move it to the top of your TBR.

Sadly, however, this book did not make it to the top of any of my book lists.

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | TumblrTwitter
Alexa
I really appreciate the way that AMERICAN PANDA was a book that featured a ton of things I love (cute romance, college anecdotes, self-growth and discovery) AND centered around a Taiwanese-American character. While not quite the same as my own experiences as Filipino-American, there were certain similarities in attitude and expectation that really felt relatable to me and I appreciated that so much. And I really just liked Mei and was rooting from her right from the start!
Kerri
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this had me laughing, crying, and craving dumplings more than i already do. official blurb to come soon, but for now? you totally need to add this to your pre-order lists. one of my favorite reads of the year.
Mel Anie
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyobe, especially young-adult readers
This was so funny and better than good, although expectations of some people annoyed me.

Motto to this book:
Always remember to chase happiness and don't give up on your dreams.

American Panda turned out to be an awesome contemporary YA book. It was far better than I thought knocking down all my expectations. This book emanated such warmth which is so hard to find in book and which I adore so much. All that warmth is entwined with Mei self-discovery, being loyal to her dream and being a prop
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Cute and funny but also heartrending. It didn't skimp on some harsh realities on a young woman's experience growing up surrounded by different cultures.

The story is entertaining, sad,  enlightening, and hopeful. A lot of times funny and oftentimes relatable. I could feel Mei's struggle in living her life in general because her parents have already planned out her future. I could definitely feel the weight on her shoulders- her parents expecting the best from her and for her even if their defini
Book Riot Community
I try not to read books too far in advance because it means everyone else will have to wait before they too can experience the joy I’m feeling. Gloria Chao’s American Panda is about a Taiwanese-American girl named Mei who gets into college early (MIT) and has to straddle two cultures. It’s a story about the importance of traditions but also the room for evolution. I related so much to Mei’s experience as someone who came to Canada as an infant and navigating my relationship with parents as a res ...more

• The Way You Make Me Feel
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • From Twinkle, with Love
  • Love From A to Z
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • I Believe in a Thing Called Love
  • Love, Hate & Other Filters
  • As Kismet Would Have It (Dimple and Rishi, #1.5)
  • 10 Things I Hate About Pinky (Dimple and Rishi, #3)
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • I'll Be the One
  • A Match Made in Mehendi
  • Frankly in Love
  • When Dimple Met Rishi (Dimple and Rishi, #1)
  • Fake It Till You Break It
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
Gloria Chao is the critically acclaimed author of American Panda, Our Wayward Fate, and the upcoming Rent a Boyfriend. When she’s not writing, you can find her with her husband on the curling ice or hiking the Indiana Dunes. After a brief detour as a dentist, she is now grateful to spend her days in fictional characters’ heads instead of real people’s mouths.

Visit her tea-and-book-filled world at

Articles featuring this book

November is National Novel Writing Month and many aspiring authors may be feeling a combination of Rocky-esque determination and sweaty...
“I couldn't go through life as a shadow.” 10 likes