Start by marking “Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron, #1)

Heart of Iron

(Heart of Iron #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  4,302 ratings  ·  1,135 reviews
Seventeen-year-old Ana is a scoundrel by nurture and an outlaw by nature. Found as a child drifting through space with a sentient android called D09, Ana was saved by a fearsome space captain and the grizzled crew she now calls family. But D09—one of the last remaining illegal Metals—has been glitching, and Ana will stop at nothing to find a way to fix him.

Ana’
Hardcover, Owlcrate Exclusive Edition, 471 pages
Published February 27th 2018 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Iron, please sign up.
Jennifer The Russian royal family was killed in a revolution but rumors that one of the daughters, Anastasia might have survived.

·  4,302 ratings  ·  1,135 reviews

Start your review of Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron, #1)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $1.99 Kindle US today 7/28/19

Owlcrate!! OMG! Look at the purple stained edges! Follow link below picture for unboxing!

The Goods

Cancer be damned, I'm writing a review!! Then of course I really need to stop for a bit.

Far above the crown of stars,
there lay a kingdom cast in shadows
until a daughter born of light
drove the night away.
And so the Great Dark waited
a thousand turns around the sun
and promised on its heart of iron
to once again return.
-"Origin of the Moon Goddess,"
The Cantos of Light

I loved this book so very much!

There are 4 POV's in this book: Ana, DO9, Robb & Jax

I loved these cha7/28/19
Owlcrate!!
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

“Ana had never believed much in the Goddess. She only knew the origin story, as sweet as a bedtime lullaby. How, in a kingdom of shadows, the queen bore a daughter of light who chased the Dark away.”

Heart of Iron had all the potential in the world to be my new favorite book. Basically, it’s a new and unique Anastasia retelling but set in space with a crew of outlaws who end up entwined in secrets and mysteries! We follow four points of view:review.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Yes, this IS a basically positive rating from me. Heart of Iron is basically Anastasia, in space, with lots of extra plotlines. And full disclosure: it’s basically entertaining fluff. But, you know, good entertaining fluff. With messy bits.

[This took me a weird amount of time to finish considering how much I liked reading it?]

This book follows a world in which the imperial families rule over everyone. In this world, robots were created to treat those infected with plague, but after a rebellion
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
When I heard this retelling of Anastasia was releasing, it immediately piqued my interest – even more so, once I heard there was a human/robot love story, because, uh, what?! – so I was incredibly excited to check this one out. There are some fun, unique ideas at play here (which is crucial for a retelling!), but unfortunately, there’s also quite a bit to unpack. I found myself trudging through this book and almost DNFed it several times, but I ultimately decided to finish it so that I could review it ...more
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Whattttt?! That ending though! I need the sequel now!
Sana
God, that was boring. I feel like I just sat in math class for forty five minutes, just staring at the board and not comprehending a thing.

So glad this is off my currently reading shelf. I had 70 pages left and I didn't even bother reading. Good riddance. 😔✊🏼
Samantha
Fun, multiple POV story reminiscent of Cinder but for Anastasia instead.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Holy steampunk!
A scarred in more than one way spaceteam.
A girl in love with her trusty Metal.
A harder-than-Ironblood kingdom space captain.
Ironblood cult.
A princess of light, lost and found.
A prince of nothing, 'Of things forgotten. Of a people who couldn’t feel the stars anymore. Of a people who treated the one who could as a weapon.'
And some very F-F, M-M couples... Cheesy? Yes! But in a very good way.
WOW!
Q:
May the stars keep us steady, and the iron keep us safe (
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
First of all, I gotta say... the writing style was SO FUN. The author knows how to insert maximum personality into every POV. I'm seriously impressed... her way of getting into deep POV felt so natural and fun.

I'm going to keep the rest of this review short. I was drawn in by the pitch - Anastasia in space! Like... why not? Anastasia is my fav childhood movie. That also means the bar was high. So, I liked the story, but I kept searching for Dimitri and never found him. Also, Ana was only one PO
✨    jamieson   ✨

“Stalo ban ach van’en. Stars are not afraid.”

if I was marketing you this book I'd say it's Anastasia meets Treasure Planet and you know what? Those are two of my favourite animated movies. Despite that, I didn't actually go into this with many expectations (which helped) and I ended up really enjoying it. It was entertaining. but I also spent three hours being perpetually frustrated about all the wasted potential. WE COULD OF HAD IT ALL THIS COULD HAVE BEEN EVERYTHING. Lets break down:
Candace Robinson
I had been putting this one off to read for a while. This, was a big mistake! First, the whole Anastasia retelling thing was pretty awesome. Also, if you liked Cinder, I'm pretty sure you'd like this! If you didn't like Cinder, I'd still read it!

There are four main characters, and I loved Di, Jax, and Robb! I didn't connect with Ana as much as I did with the others, but it didn't take away from the story one bit! Plus, the romance between both couples was awesome! The friendship and
Angelica
Guys, I think I have a problem. I've been trying to figure out how it is that I feel about this book and I haven't quite managed it. I definitely didn't love it, that's for certain. But, did I hate it? I don't think I did. Maybe I liked it? Not too much, obviously, but maybe a little? How much is a little? I don't know! Hopefully, by the time I finish the review, I would have figured it out.

So, here we go I guess.

The main problem I had with this book is one that actually
Carrie
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston is the first book in the new young adult science fiction fantasy series by the same name. This series is said to be a retelling of Anastasia set in space but truth be told I’m not familiar with Anastasia so I can’t compare the two. It’s also compared to Six of Crows but that seems way off when you simply compare the pacing of the two as this one is extremely fast paced.

The story is told by changing the point of view between several characters in the ser
Alyssa
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases
3.5 stars. Trying to decide if I want to round up or down. It was okay... slow start... maybe I just wasn't as invested as I'd hoped to be. I have no doubt others will love this book. I'm sad a YA sci-fi didn't totally impress me but at the same time, I'm not disappointed. I'll be looking out for book two!

***Review to come***
ambsreads
MY REVIEW FOR THIS SPACE ANASTASIA RETELLING, HEART OF IRON, CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON MY BLOG

I was so excited for Heart of Iron. The idea of an Anastasia retelling is what I need to get me through this world. Unfortunately, this book definitely had some execution problems. I’m not sure if it’s because it was intensely science fiction, and sci-fi isn’t typically a genre I enjoy or simply because the beginning of the story was so slow. I keep seeing this book also being compared to the Treasure P
Stacee
2.5 stars?

I don’t even know where to start. I wanted to love this so much and all I did was struggle.

I liked Ana. She’s feisty and goes after what she wants. Di was sort of adorable, but I think Jax was my favorite. There are a lot of characters in this story and I gave up trying to keep track.

Plot wise, it was sort of boring. It felt like nothing happened. There was some serious action and a bit of a surprise towards the end. Unfortunately, it felt like the build up was nonexisten
Julie Zantopoulos
I am lucky enough to own the beautiful Owlcrate edition of this book with the stunning purple sprayed pages and it's been on my shelves for forever and a day. Then, I saw that my library had the audiobook and I figured, meh, why not? Anastasia in space? Not really my thing and I don't get into sci-fi and I typically dislike retellings...but I went into with an open mind and was super impressed with how much I enjoyed it.

It's got small A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet vibes, like a space crew
The Bookavid
Jun 19, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases
i heard this is queer
i want this
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

"Anastasia in Space" has been thrown around to explain this book... Ana was found drifting through space as a child with Do9, a Metal or sentient robot. Fast forward and she's 17 years old and desperate to save her metal... when she runs into Robb, a spoiled Ironblood boy, a son of the high aristocracy. Now on the run with the coordinates to a lost ship and perhaps a whole lot more...

The short review...

I don't like Ana... She has this build up of secrets around her that g
Sheila Goicea
See my FULL review of this book on my blog along with others at: shesgoingbookcrazy.com

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication. I received a copy of this book via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

DNFing at 40%

Content Warning: Suicide, Violence, Class-Segregation, Abuse
Today, the Grand Duchess would choose her heir--and the thirtieth Emperor of the Iron Kingdom. So naturally, with everyone distracted, it was a good day for a heist.

I think I need to take a break/>Today,/>Content/>DNFing/>All
Nicki Chapelway
DNF'ing about 30 pages in.

It started getting weird when I realized that the girl had a crush on her robot. The robot that has no emotional feelings, and cannot feel anything physically, who has also practically raised her.

I skimmed ahead and yup, this doesn't look like a book I want to finish.
Amanda
Mar 21, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"Pitched as Anastasia meets Firefly--" *hits "want to read button" so hard the mouse creaks*
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
***3.5 STARS*** RTC on Lair Of Books (link is in the Bio)

Full review can also be viewed on Lair Of Books

***3.5 stars***

PLOT

Heart Of Iron immediately appealed to my love for all things Sci-Fi & the bio pitched a ragtag crew of outlaws that I just had to meet on the pages. I’m not familiar with the story of Anastasia but it’s now on my list of flicks to watch during one of my ME time days. That being said, I went in strictly for the space adventure, outlaws, and D09 cause whether h/>
***3.5
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Yall aren't ready for this. The OTPs. The heart breaks. THE FEELS. YOU AREN'T READY!

--------------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

Y’all…. this story. HOLY SMOKES. I’m not sure the world is ready for this powerhouse. Anastasia meets Firefly but I’m telling you – Poston nailed this one. She knocked it out of the park. This will leave you screaming and yet begging for more.

Short recap: Ana and her robot, D09, know no other life than being an outlaw on a s
Kayla
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book! Anastasia meets sci fi, I had to obviously love it. The books everything- Characters, Plot, Romance and Diversity were amazing and so well crafted.
I think this book could have been a standalone if changed a bit but hopefully the sequel is just as good.
Jordan (pagetravels)
THIS BOOK WAS AWESOME. An incredibly built world, characters that just popped off the page, and a plot that was nonstop excitement for the entire 450+ pages.
𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚊 ❁
i’ve been reading a lot of the reviews bc a lot of my friends have rated this between 2-3.5 stars and it makes me sad bc i genuinely loved this book!! but i understand that not everyone is going to love the same book!

i think one of the main reasons i loved this book so much is because i LOVE the story of anastasia! i grew up with the animated movie and i just really like everything about lost princess and the scoundrel (or in this books case, the robot)! i’ve been in the mood for an
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“Stalo ban ach van’en. Stars are not afraid.”

I have wanted to read this story since I heard it pitched as “Anastasia in space”, and while I definitely see some Anastasia elements, Heart of Iron truly shines in it’s characters and relationships. We follow Ana, a girl with no memory of her past, as she fights to save her Metal companion, Di from a broken memory core. Along the way, Anna meets new friends and uncovers secrets about her past that leads to revelations she would never have expects.

/>
Lauren Chamberlin
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews, favorites
This story deserves a star rating of all the stars in the galaxy if I'm being honest.
[SPOILER FREE]
Ana. DI. Robb. Jax.
These characters have coveted my heart until the end of time.
Ashley is a prime example of an author who puts her characters through hell and back. I can't even list out all the times she made them suffer!
DI stole my heart the most in all honesty. Throughout the entire book I just kept feeing my heart melt whenever he was either with Ana or trying to help her i
Andrea
Heart of Iron is a sci-fi retelling of Anastasia. Ana is an outlaw or so she believes. She was raised with her Metal (basically an android in a metal body), D09, on the ship Dossier. Captain Siege and the crew have always been her family. When D09 begins to glitch, Ana will do anything to save him, including stealing from an Ironblood royal to find the parts D09 needs.

I did a super quick reread via audio so I could refresh my memory before diving into Soul of Stars and I am so glad that I did.

• Ace of Shades (The Shadow Game, #1)
  • Catching Stars
  • Sky in the Deep
  • Mirage (Mirage, #1)
  • Grace and Fury (Grace and Fury, #1)
  • From Twinkle, with Love
  • My Plain Jane (The Lady Janies, #2)
  • Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
  • Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)
  • Foolish Hearts
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • Amber & Dusk
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
Ashley Poston’s is a part-time author and full-time fangirl. She was born in rural South Carolina, where you can see the stars impossibly well...

Tweet her at @ashposton and read her inner-most rambles at www.ashposton.com.

Heart of Iron (2 books)
  • Soul of Stars (Heart of Iron, #2)
“Because I will follow you anywhere, to the ends of the galaxy, if I have to. I want to exist where you exist, and that is enough.” 16 likes
“May the stars keep you steady and the iron keep you safe.” 13 likes