Start by marking “The Fall of Io (Io #2)” as Want to Read:
The Fall of Io (Io #2)

The Fall of Io

(Io #2)

The superb aliens-in-your-head SF sequel to the wildly popular The Rise of Io, by the author of The Lives of Tao series

When Ella Patel's mind was invaded by the Quasing alien, Io, she was dragged into the raging Prophus versus Genjix war. Despite her reservations, and Io's incompetence, the Prophus were determined to train her as an agent. It didn't go well. Expelled aft
Published January 8th 2019 by Angry Robot

Bradley
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-shelf, sci-fi
Just what IS the Fall of Io?

I mean, to me, I expected the grand wheel of Hubris to dunk Ella and Io under the water of fate, but similar to the first novel... the rising and falling aren't that spectacular. It's more of a personal choice rather than an epic downfall. :)

It's okay. :) We have a lot more to entertain us here.

Like heists, flashbacks to events that will already have happened right AFTER the events in the first book, heists, tons of action, heists, and feeling all buddy-buddy with th
Margaret
I've really enjoyed the Tao books by Wesley Chu ever since I was lucky enough to go to a reading at a local con and have the author act out his book (a couple of scenes, anyway). Most readings involve the author sitting at a table and reading his/her text but I remember Mr. Chu on his feet and really pulling all of us into his story! He even "read" from two of his books instead of just one!)

The Tao series tells about the Quasings, gaseous aliens unlucky enough to crash-land on Earth who are unab
Geoff
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, spy
When I picked up The Lives of Tao from the library in 2013, I skeptical but liked the striking cover art. I'm glad I did read it because I've really enjoyed every book in the series. Fall of Io is great and I hope it doesn't take as long for the next entry to be released.
Sean O'Rear
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book hits the ground running; I felt like it was more a book that is putting the players in positions as a second book in a trilogy should. Chu really brought it this time, I recommend you start with “The Lives of Tao” because you need background for everything to fully appreciate this book or you’ll be very confused. I was very impressed with the organization of this book with some many important characters and plot lines all intersecting and coming to a satisfying climax. I only wish I ha ...more
Joe Ricca
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great ride from Chu. Ella and Io are in it up to their eyeballs and the action is non stop. It is a really good continuation of the series. I hope we don't have to wait so long for the next chapter.
Willem
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book by netgalley to review.

A thoroughly enjoyable book. It's been a few years since I read the Lives of Tao series and I really enjoyed that. I was a bit underwhelmed with "Rise of Io" that continued the in the world of the Quasing with a few new characters. "The Fall of Io" was a nice surprise though. It felt a lot more like the original series and I can't wait for the next one to come out. Hope it doesn't take too long.
Chris Bauer
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really do enjoy the direction Wesley Chu has taken his series after the initial trilogy. Unexpected, unorthodox and exciting to read. Very unconventional choices.

"The Fall of Io" seems to take place well after the first book in the new series and our protag, Ella Patel, has fallen back to her old ways of crime and larceny. It was an interesting choice and Chu does a good job of informing readers via dialogue and mini-exposition points at the start of every chapter.

Plus some GREAT cameos in th
Rob
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Summary: I found the start slow, but once a certain something happened, things really picked up for me. I'm looking forward to the next book.

Full Review
The Lives of Tao was a pleasant discovery a few years back. It got better with each book, and really stuck the landing. When this series was announced I was really excited to be returning back to the great world building Mr. Chu established in that series.

Io is very different from Tao. And Ella couldn't be any more different from Roen
Vicky
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wesley Chu has created a wonderfully entertaining series that features aliens known as the Quasing that crashed landed on Earth long be before humans walked on the planet. The only way for the Quasing to survive on planet Earth was to form a symbiotic relationship with living creatures. The Quasing have a considerably long life span and can move from one creature to another once their host dies. Eventually they would inhabit humans. Once they were able to form a relationship with humans, they re ...more
Martha
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Fall of Io, which I understand is a sequel to The Rise of Io, is set somewhere in the not impossibly distant future, after the end of the Alien War, which nobody won and which nobody, except perhaps humankind lost. The conflict between the Prophus (nominally the good guys – think CIA, and defender of the humans) and the Genjix an alien race determined to subsume the earth and its peoples, continues more or less underground. Slowly many areas of the earth are being taken over and ‘improved’, ...more
Ryan Mac
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed The Rise of Io and was looking forward to seeing what happened next with Ella and Io but was nervous after seeing the title of this book.

This book takes place two years after the events of Rise of Io. After a brief stint in the Prophus Academy (where she flunked out), Ella and the mind-invading alien Io are in Tokyo, Japan. Japan is a neutral country in the alien Prophus-Genjix war so she should be s
Neonila
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book in one sentence:
“Their stupid rules are stupid.”

My poor love Ella really can't get a breather, can she? Wesley Chu keeps throwing obstacles in her way and, although I love reading the entire adventure, my heart feels for her so much. Other than that, I absolutely loved this book! The action, the writing and atmosphere in general was spectacular.

Also, Io continues being a trash bag, but a trash bag that I love. I certainly have a love for weird AI/alien creatures that don't really see
Linda
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set up to Next Stage

#FallofIo stars Roen, Ella, Shura (Alexa) & Io but not Cameron or Tao. It takes place 2 years after Rise of Io, and tells Ella's story from then to now in flashbacks. It transitions the Gentix-Prophus war & human earth to a new stage. Some characters are retired and others are introduced. It has a novella feel, like a back story and an action sequence merged. It is more Io's story than Ella's, which is unfortunate because Ella is a far more engaging character. One mus
Felix
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The fall of IO would make a great Sci/FI movie !!!
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
I liked the first book but did not care that much for this one. If you took all the fight scenes out you would have a much shorter book and they really did not add much to the plot. In fact I am still trying to decide what the plot is. The ending left Ella in a new place and did not seem to have much left to talk about. For me this was a big disappointment.

I received a free copy of the book in return for an honest review.
Jamie Rich
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fall of Io (Io #2) by Wesley Chu

Ah yes, the further misadventures of Ella and Io. And friends.
You previously have loved, and hated Ella and Io. Now let's come and play with their new found friends. Oh, and some old enemies. And a centuries long power struggle with no clear good guy at all.
Plus, we don't really know if Io is a good guy or not? She suddenly seems rather self centered and to Help with everybody else. And poor Ella keeps having the rug swept from under her feet. So Ella does wh
Ernest
This came onto my radar as I was doing a review of January (2019) books for TechRevu.com, but since it's the second book in its sequence I decided to go back and read the first (The Rise of Io) rather than pick up the story in the middle. That's just me. Having read both, Chu does a good job of bringing you up to speed as the story unfolds, but this is no doubt going to be a trilogy, and each act has its purpose.

Ella Patel, orphan of the Alien World War, which broke out when Earth realized that
Becca
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Since discovering The Lives of Tao I have been captivated with Mr. Chu's world building and storytelling time and time again. And this was no exception, in fact, I think this was my favorite yet.

There are times when you read a series by an author and you think this, this was the author’s gift to his fans. This book, this story. A culmination of characters and storyline that are wrapped up in a wonderful bow just for their avid readers.

The Fall of Io felt like just such a book. So thank you Mr.
Dave
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another "more fun than should be legal" installment in the Quasing saga featuring quite a few familiar faces and a few newbies. I would have read this in a day were it not for three library books all due at the same time, none of which I had started yet. They almost lost out to a Tao/Io book anyway. They're always such fun and this one is no exception.

I found I was significantly less annoyed with Ella and Io in this book than for their first adventure. I'm also happy their future took the direc
Sheldon Wiebe
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The second Io novel (and fifth Quasing novel) is as relentlessly entertaining as previous entries in the series.

The title is deceptively simple (it all depends on the perspective from which it is observed).

Ella Patel and Io are a great, grumpy team and watching their fractious relationship develop further is a lot of fun.

It's also great to see more of Genjix Adonis, Shura The Scalpel (aka Alexandra Mengsk) - Ella's reaction to learning that she once dated Cameron Tan is almost worth the price of
Christine
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chu's writing shows signs of improvement in providing exposition, and his women are better developed. He does seem confused sometimes about his own previous plotlines--the narrator isn't the unreliable one. For instance, he seems to forget how old Ella is. The chapter snippets state she's 19 for the events in the Rise of Io, which were about 2 years before the events in the Fall of Io. But somehow, Ella is supposed to have grown taller? Women are nearly universally done growing by 19, so this wo ...more
Reviews & Robots
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Fall of Io follows an interesting and refreshing recipe. Take an alien-inhabited version of Earth set in the near future, add in well-choreographed fight scenes along with some spy fiction intrigue, top it off with a witty, annoyed alien presence lurking in the background, and you’ve got a hit. Chu’s Tao universe is a masterpiece of modern sci-fi and his prowess shows through in this second novel of the Io series. Get ready for a badass lead who fights like a semi-pro, steals like a boss and ...more
David
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Another fun romp of a near-future sci-fi novel from Wesley Chu. Chu is writing 'action' as well as almost anybody now, but also imbues his work with a humour and humanity that avoids being saccharine or formulaic. Like the first Io novel, the more problematic relationship between host and quasing adds a layer that wasn't necessarily present in the Tao novels (which were also great fun).

Will look forward to more from Ella and Io, and anything else Wesley Chu chooses to serve up from this universe
Ewan
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
As always, a great read. My only problem is that it's been 2 years since the last book (and 4/5 years since I read the Tao series), so I struggled to remember what was going on for a fair bit. The chapter intros helped, but would it really hurt to have a comprehensive recap at the start? I would make this mandatory in long running series if I was in charge. But I'm not.
Davec
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Are we going to space in the next book?
Doug
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three-and-a-half stars.

Not quite as kicky|punchy|bantery as the originals I fell in love with, but still very enjoyable. It felt good to see some familiar faces.
Jon
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A perfectly adequate follow up.
Alex Dupouy
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I usually like mr. Chu's books a lot, and I loved most of this one too, but I just can't 5 star it as I do usually, the scooby doo moment at the end is really, really bad.
Lieke
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Obviously don't read this if you haven't read The Rise of Io. Really liked it as a sequel, but sad that book three isn't out (or maybe even written?) yet. I want to know what happens next!
Bonnie Fong
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulously fun adventure with the irascible yet lovable Ella Patel. I especially enjoyed the blurbs at the start of each chapter which gave insight into the mind of Io.
Wesley Chu’s best friend is Michael Jordan, assuming that best friend status is earned by a shared television commercial. If not, then his best friend is his dog Eva who he can often be seen riding like a trusty steed through the windy streets of Chicago.

Unfortunately, Chu’s goals of using Hanes underwear commercials to launch a lucrative career following in Marky Mark’s footsteps came to naught.

Io (2 books)