Start by marking “Little Eve” as Want to Read:
Little Eve

Little Eve

Eve and Dinah are everything to one another, never parted day or night. They are raised among the Children, a community of strays and orphans ruled by a mysterious figure they call Uncle. All they know is the grey Isle of Altnaharra which sits in the black sea off the wildest coast of Scotland.

Eve loves the free, savage life of the Isle and longs to inherit Uncle's power.
Published July 26th 2018 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Little Eve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Eve

Joanne Harris
Another magnificent example of Northern Gothic, with all the winning elements of her previous novel RAWBLOOD: the fille fatale; the mysterious cult, the ritualistic lifestyle, the isolated house, the creeping menace. The author handles language beautifully, sustaining the mystery throughout, and the whammy is nicely satisfying. There are shades of Shirley Jackson here, and shades of THE LONEY; my only (small) complaint is that, as in RAWBLOOD, the reader is given no inkling of which actual relig ...more
Blair
After loving her memorable debut Rawblood, particularly the hallucinatory brilliance of its climactic chapters, I knew I would want to read whatever Catriona Ward wrote next. That turns out to be Little Eve, a gothic tale of two girls' lives within an isolated cult. It begins in 1921 with a scene in which Jamie, a butcher in the small town of Loyal, takes a delivery to the Castle of Altnaharra, reached from the Scottish mainland by a causeway which the sea swallows at high tide. The gate is open ...more
Thebooktrail
The grey Isle of Altnaharra is fictional although there is a hamlet of the same name inland in Sutherland in the Scottish Highlands. You’ll be grateful the island isn’t real after reading this!

Why I read novels like this after 9pm I have no idea. It’s the first time the kindle white has felt so chilling and cold, that light shining an eerie spell of shadows and solitude from the screen.

Catriona certainly has a way of scene setting and building up a landscape that is at one terrifying and unsettl
Victoria (Eve's Alexandria)
Another absolutely brilliant novel from Catriona Ward. I wouldn’t call it either horror or crime, although it’s a little of both. Like Rawblood it’s about what happens to the mind when it’s placed under impossible strain; in this case, when it’s exposed to currents of torment, abuse, love and religious mania. The story of the island of Altnaharra, ‘Uncle’ and the four children he raises there is both horrific and beautiful in equal measure. The writing is gorgeous: measured, poetic, compassionat ...more
Vicky
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve not read Rawblood, Catriona Ward’s first novel, but by all accounts it was a pretty terrifying (if excellently written) experience. That said- as I have absolutely no stomach for horror, the wimp that I am- I picked up Little Eve with a little trepidation, and a whole lot of excitement. After all, it was sold to me as ‘Agatha Christie meets paganism’: and with a hook like that, what bookworm could resist?

And the book, you’ll be happy to hear, lived up to every expectation I had of it. By tu
Arielle Walker
This one is the pure definition of a slow burner - and so, so worth that first effort.

I probably read those first few pages five times over twice as many days, never progressing past the same lines (Dinah writes a letter, father's room lies empty, books wait unread, visit butcher's shop, rinse and repeat)

It took a weekend away with no other unread books around to push past those pages into the most unsettling read I've found in a long time. Eerie creepy dark and twistytwistytwisty - you can't tr
Vikki Patis
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly gripping tale of control, suffering, and finding one's true self. The audiobook was an absolute pleasure to listen to, with the narrator's Scottish accent transporting me to this world. An excellent read.
Dan Coxon
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, unsettling gothic horror once again from Catriona Ward. Undertones of The Wicker Man at times, but Little Eve forges its own path, with some genuine surprises in the final quarter. Great stuff.
Joanne Sheppard
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catriona Ward's first book, Rawblood, was a richly intoxicating Gothic ghost story. With Little Eve she ventures into folk horror territory with this dark fever dream of a novel that begins with what appears to be a ritual mass murder committed within a mysterious cult on a Scottish island.

It's 1921 and young butcher Jamie MacRaith is delivering a side of beef to the castle of Altnaharra, cut off from the mainland at high tide. We know from the start that things in this novel will not be quite r
Ann
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge Shirley Jackson and Joanne Harris fan, so I thought I would really enjoy this book.
The story was elegant and creepy, the atmosphere on the island was incredibly well done, and I loved the perspective of a mentally ill narrator.

What made this book a two and a half stars for me was the pace (too slow) and tangential information (elephant side story). I think that this book may have been better if it was shorter and more direct. I also would have preferred, I think if I didn't find ou
Louise
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice-Anne
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Little Eve' is a fantastic book. It's complex, atmospheric, (love the raging storms around a crumbling, isolated Scottish castle), horrifying and very unique. As other readers have mentioned, it has a wonderfully twisted and satisfying ending. But what sets 'Little Eve' apart from other dark gothic mysteries is the very real story of abuse and survival, and the sacrifices made for love.

Highly, highly recommended
Sarah Carter
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, 2018-women
Once again Ward has written an amazing, breathtaking, beautiful and dark novel. Like her debut Rawblood, this pulled me in close and wouldn’t let me go until I’d finished it. If you loved Rawblood, you’ll love this, if We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a fave, then I think this too will hit that sweet spot. Little Eve shows that her debut was no fluke.

Kate Whitfield
I was completely immersed in this right from the start. Beautiful, dark and clever.
Emma Radford
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caspian Reid
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Loved this book. Creepy and enthralling, I immediately wanted to read it again to make sure I caught all the details! The setting was perfect, and the brief time jumps were really effective. I love the author's style of writing, and the characters were complex and other-worldly, while still ultimately human and flawed. A top horror read!
Alice Slater
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inseparable sisters Dinah and Eve are members of an almost-isolated community, tucked away on a windswept island, chilled by sea spray and the darkest of secrets.

Fresh, freaky and utterly brilliant, this haunting novel touches upon sisterhood, snakes and secret religious cults. Following on from her cracking debut Rawblood, I’d like to spend next Halloween trick or treating in Catriona Ward’s brain (if only she’d have me); and I suspect she has as many tricks as she does treats in her arsenal.
Kylie Whitehead
Jan 06, 2019
Vicann
Nov 06, 2018
Yolanda Sfetsos
DNF after three chapters.

Everyone keeps saying this book is scary, that it's creepy, and that it's horror. So, of course I was interested. Of course I couldn't wait to get started... and then, the disappointment started right after the first chapter. Which starred some random character, who happens to discover something gruesome.

And when we finally get to the girls, I was bored instantly.

IMHO, there's nothing scary, creepy, or even horrorish about this book.
Poppy
  • The Parentations
  • Diana
  • A Country Called Home
  • The Countenance Divine
  • The Lost Village (The Ghost Hunters, #2)
  • The Upstairs Room
  • The Doll Factory
  • A House of Ghosts
  • I Still Dream
  • White Heat: The Friendship of Emily Dickinson and Thomas Wentworth Higginson
  • Sealed
  • Red Snow (Tuva Moodyson Mystery, #2)
  • Paul Takes the Form of a Mortal Girl
  • The Furies
  • The Sleep Room
Catriona Ward was born in Washington DC and grew up in the US, Kenya, Madagascar, Yemen and Morocco. She studied English at St Edmund Hall, Oxford followed by the UEA Masters in Creative Writing. After living in New York for 4 years where she trained as an actor, she now lives in London and Devon.
“It is a kind of privilege, to witness the darkness.” 1 likes