Jump to ratings and reviews

Look for Me Under the Rainbow

Sometimes all you need is a big heart and burning desire.

Danny, a curious harp seal pup, has soft white fur and black innocent eyes. Helen is an environmentalist and member of a young activist crew of the Rainbow Warriors. Their mission is to save animals.

As winter turns into spring, a new generation of seal pups comes to life. A few weeks later, the killing begins. Against a spectacular backdrop of ice and snow, Helen prepares to look horrific human cruelty in the face.

I do not doubt I have a big heart and burning desire, but is that enough for a person to become a Rainbow Warrior, or is there something better? Something only some of us manage to turn into what we have long missed—humanity.

In the race against time and clubs, will Helen save Danny before the hunt begins?

Though written for younger readers, Look for Me Under the Rainbow will appeal to anyone who cherishes our beautiful planet and wishes to protect its treasures.

Buy this book and experience a pure emotional journey.

Bronze Medalist in the Fiction–Animals category in The Readers’ Favorite International Book Award Contest 2019.

146 pages, Kindle Edition

First published January 1, 1993

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Bernard Jan

9 books212 followers
"There is no greater joy than to share what you love with those who appreciate it." - Bernard Jan

Bernard Jan is the pen name of an award-winning, multi-genre novelist and a poet from Croatia, and he has released five books in English.

Readers' Favorite Honorable Mention Award 2021
Readers' Favorite Gold Medalist 2020
Readers' Favorite Bronze Medalist 2019

A World Without Color is a true story of the last three days he spent with his cat, while Look for Me Under the Rainbow in a unique and gentle way sheds light on the plight of harp seal pups in Canada. It warms the heart of all readers concerned about our planet and its treasures. January River is a heartwarming cross-genre novel about five friends, one dog, and one river carrying a secret that will upheave their world. Cruel Summer is a gripping young adult cross-genre novel about an abused teenager from New Manhattan who only wants to skate, but they have other plans for him, and Postcards From Beyond Reality: The Selected Poems of Michael Daniels is a young adult poetry book written in character as the hero from his novel Cruel Summer.

His first two books were written at the beginning of the war in Croatia in 1991 amidst air alerts and illusory attempts when he wanted to believe and think that life is normal, that everything is all right with the world. He has published five novels, two novellas, and one book of poems in Croatian. Four of his books, including the book of poems, were translated into English.

His passion for music and entertainment resulted in his becoming a partner of Tom's Music Place, which was established in 2009 by his friend Thomas Carley Jr., whose objective was to raise the respect of music.

His desire to help others came to the fore during his years advocating environmental protection and advocacy of animal rights. He did volunteer work for the refugees because suffering does not know any borders. When it comes within your reach in your home, you simply have to do something. As part of his animal advocacy activities, it has been a great honor and pleasure to translate Eternal Treblinka: Our Treatment of Animals and the Holocaust by Charles Patterson into Croatian.

Bernard Jan Official Website
Bernard Jan on BookGorilla

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (1%)
1 star
1 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 46 reviews
Profile Image for Mischenko.
1,014 reviews97 followers
April 19, 2018
This review can also be seen @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2018/...

This book captured my attention from the beginning to end. I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect, but after reading A World Without Color, I knew this was a book I had to read.

It begins with the story of Danny, a seal pup with his whole life in front of him. As Danny spends his days playing curiously with his brother and learning life skills from his mother, he discovers what’s acceptable and also what isn’t safe.

“Is only the sea dangerous? Is there anything on the ice we should watch out for and fear?”

Meanwhile, Helen, an animal activist aka “Rainbow Warrior” is on a mission to protect as many animals as she can. Will she get to them in time before the hunting begins?

“I can only hope that one day we shall be forgiven if it turns out that man is responsible for the extinction of the last inhabitant of the seas, and the walls of death on their ghostly routes come to clutch us all in their deadly suffocating grip.”

This book focuses on the many dangers harp seal pups face from birth to adulthood, including mankind’s cruelty. I was shocked at the facts and wasn’t fully aware that the slaughtering of these seals was still permitted. I found myself doing research online for hours afterward.

I’m genuinely glad I read this book. It’s difficult to use the word ‘loved’ or ‘enjoyed’ when describing how I feel about books with subjects such as this one, but it was intense, shocking, and a real eye-opener. Bernard Jan’s writing delivers such imagery that pictures aren’t needed. I cringed at times with some of the details, but it’s the truth that must be told so that more will be aware, and in turn we can discover how to help. 5-stars
Profile Image for Starjustin.
91 reviews254 followers
April 17, 2018
An extraordinary story by and 'extraordinary' author who has a strong passion for animals in a world where animals are not always protected and have to fear for their lives.
Bernard Jan adds a human touch to a group of seals that are bearing young in a land that should be theirs alone but mankind has invaded for negligent self-purpose. He speaks of a group of people known as GreenPeace and their efforts to protect the seals from annihilation.
A fantastic book that needs to be read by all including our young to prevent the extinction of animals here on earth. They deserve protection and a better life to be able to continue to survive.
God bless this author for taking the time and making the effort, from deep within his heart, to care!
Profile Image for James.
Author 19 books3,483 followers
December 30, 2018
I've been following the author of this book, Bernard Jan, for about a year, but I hadn't read any of his written works previously. When my shiba inu passed away earlier this year, someone reminded me to get a copy of Look for Me Under the Rainbow: A Novella as it would provide some comfort and offer a few ideas about the life of animals outside what we know. I purchased a copy last month and added it to my TBR once I was ready to deal with the concept of a wonderful animal passing away.

Jan offers an emotional tale of beloved mammals of the sea. We love looking at them sitting on icebergs or watching them dive into the frozen ocean playing around with others of their kind, yet we also get angry when people hurt them for the pleasure of a kill or to make money off their bodies. The author's created a family of amazing and gentle creatures who appeal to our hearts as we see what happens when a sibling is killed or a parent dies. Danny's mom tells him to look for the rainbow when death approaches whether it be a killer whale, evil poachers, or something even more nasty. She's a mom to all of us in many ways.

In a short work, Jan has provided an intense connection filled with love, fear, bonds, and touching moments we can easily translate as humans. From oil spills to getting caught between the ice, we understand the struggles of animals who can only do so much to protect themselves or their young. It's not unlike our own reality as humans, but at least we are rarely hunted down and brutally mutilated just for the fun of it.

Without getting into any gory details or making it uncomfortable, Jan has truly shown a different side of life in the ocean. Death is never easy. Loss is profound. Through wonderful imagery, lyrical text, and strong emotions, he's got a winner with Danny's story. I look forward to reading another of his novellas in the future.
Profile Image for Carrie.
3,040 reviews1,500 followers
June 19, 2018
Look for Me Under the Rainbow by Bernard Jan is a fairly short read at novella length that takes readers into an up close and personal look at the life of a seal pup names Danny. The majority of the story is told from Danny’s point of view but in the end it switches to a young girl named Helen who is fighting to save the wild animals.

I loved spending a bit of time looking at the world through Danny’s eyes right from the opening of the book. Anyone who has been around toddlers can relate to Danny’s poor mother answering the whys and hows of Danny’s endless questions as he starts out in life and grows.

As the story moved on so did Danny’s world with him getting little brother and his days with his protective and loving mother. Of course life is not all sunshine and roses in the life of a wild animal and eventually that makes it into the story too with Danny facing struggles that a seal pup would.

This was a wonderful little story with lovely writing that all animal lovers of any age would be sure to enjoy. The author also put forth a strong message of doing your part to save these and other beautiful creatures which I is a very positive message to be shared with all too.

For more review please visit https://carriesbookreviews.com/
Profile Image for TeaAndBooks.
81 reviews92 followers
April 21, 2018

Plot: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Narration: 5/5
Characters: 5/5

Firstly, I must give a huge thank you to Bernard Jan, the wonderful author of this equally amazing book for sending me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

Another great book from Bernard Jan! I can now officially say that he is one of my favourite authors of all time!

This book was wonderful in more ways that one. The style of writing and language used was moving, touching and simply incredible! The plot itself was one that had me thinking of this novella for days, even after finishing it.

This book explores the greed and cruelty of humanity and how we as humans often oppress and harm those species we deem to be inferior to us, completely neglecting the fact that everyone can feel, whether they re animals or not. This book focuses on the murder of seal pups and how we simply cannot see to understand that these beautiful creatures have feelings too. We focus mainly on a small seal called Danny and how he too was affected by the avarice nature and acquisitiveness of humans.

This book clearly showed how humans are some of the most harmful predators on this Earth and how we need to put an end to this. There is a difference between murder and protecting ourselves- we can keep ourselves safe without harming other species.

You simply must read this book- you truly will be missing out if you don’t! Words cannot give justice to this book!

Whilst reading this book, I was rather amused at the playful nature of the seals. Upon finishing the book, I was in tears and I was just stunned at the sheer intensity of the message that this book carries. The writing style was perfect- simply stunning. I also enjoyed the narration.

One of my favourite quotes is when Danny asks his mother who man was. This was my favourite part because it shows what we as humans seem like to animals who we believe to be lower than us.

I have now learnt to sympathise with animals and the environment as I have been reminded that animals have feelings too. They can feel, see, think, hear and act in the same way we do.

The message of this book was beautiful and simply stunning. It truly moved me and I can guarantee that I will be reading this again! We NEED more books like this one.

If you haven’t yet read anything written by Bernard Jan, you truly need to go and read his work because he is a unique author who writes in such a manner that it will move you and inspire you to bring a change to this world.

Read this book for it will change your life.

July 2, 2018
Malignant
Often in nature films and documentaries, we get an appreciation of how precarious life can be for wild animals and that we are all potentially in the food chain for some other animal. If you’ve ever seen the Orca whale tossing a seal in the air repeatedly, it is a brutal and disturbing scene, yet it is nature. Us humans are meant to be more controlled and ‘humane’ about how we manage our food sources and ancient legends cry out to us to respect the animals we kill and ensure that having done so we make as much use of the carcass as possible so as not to be careless and immoderate. We are, however, cruel, reckless and wasteful in how we hunt for food and clothing, and specifically how we fish our oceans discarding rubbish indifferently to the damage it causes.

Bernard Jan has provided us with a glimpse into 2 perspectives of life for the seal populations that migrate around Greenland. Firstly through the eyes of Danny a young seal pup and his adopted younger brother Jon, and then through the eyes of a Rainbow Warrior volunteer Helen. Both parties are told of legends and tales that relate in some respect to a Rainbow, how we should show respect to all living things, and how in our final moments we follow the rainbow.

While Danny and Jon are taught and instructed by their mother they play happily but always aware of the threats from polar bears and man. Which one is more dangerous, which one is more deadly, and which one is more destructive? The young seals will experience a lot in their lifetimes as they start the migration back towards Greenland. Helen, while she understands the value and commitment the Rainbow warriors make, she can’t come to terms witnessing the abject waste of life and deleterious attitude of hunters and irresponsible fishermen. Helen and Danny’s paths eventually cross and it is a heart-breaking scene.

The story is very well told and it is very clear before reading the authors bio that he has a vocational connection to animal preservation. Through the medium of this book and other communication channels, Bernard is also a strong advocate for wildlife protection and his love for animals is clearly apparent.
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,765 reviews579 followers
April 17, 2018
Every once in a while, an author comes along who wears their heart on their sleeve and pours it onto the pages of a book. If you haven’t read anything by Bernard Jan, you are missing an opportunity to feel his words to your very soul.

LOOK FOR ME UNDER THE RAINBOW begins as a sweet tale of innocence and love and wonder in the big world all around. Danny was born in an unforgiving environment, but for his kind, it was home, safe and filled with the awe of a young child learning at his mother’s side. It is the story of the love between two brothers and a dangerous quest to grow up and see the world too soon.

Danny is a seal pup, born when humans thought nothing of killing them for their pelts, but Danny and his brother, Jon, didn’t know that. They only knew of the wonder of the Great Seal above and the beautiful rainbow created just for each of them at the end of their life’s journey.

His only experience with humans was that of kindness. But when young Danny and Jon decide to see the world for themselves when it was time to migrate back to Greenland, they would encounter the carelessness of human destruction and the cruelty of human greed.

It would be the human that once met Danny who would become part of a new era for humans, and laws to protect creatures like Danny from mindless slaughter or pollution.

This is a story of love, life and humanity at both its worst and very best. Danny is an endearing voice for both seals and animals threatened everywhere in this bittersweet story that is ageless and for all readers.

I fell in love with Danny and his exuberance, not unlike that of a human child and I found myself lost in this warm tale turned nightmare turned call to action for the world. Please, do NOT let the phrase “translated from…” scare you off, the translation is masterfully done without losing any of the impact of Bernard Jan’s words. Although a short read, it is long on heart, and beautifully told with a message for all people of all ages.

I received a complimentary copy from Bernard Jan!

Publication Date: April 17, 2018 (Original 1993)
Publisher: Bernard Jan
Genre: Fiction | Animal Protection Awareness
Number of pages: 61
Profile Image for Stjepan Cobets.
Author 13 books489 followers
July 24, 2018
My rating 5.0

Look for Me Under the Rainbow: A Novella by Bernard Jan is a book that cannot leave you indifferent. This is a story that will go deep into the heart and soul. The human species sometimes can be very cruel to animals and literally exterminate certain species only because of arrogance and money.
The story leads us through the life of a curious harp seal pup Danny. Danny is like any young cubs are curious and want to explore the world where he lives, but that the world is full of dangers. Although his mother warns of danger, his curiosity will overcome.
This is a book that every reader needs to wake up hope that there are still people who do not want to destroy our world in which many animals live and that they will fight for the salvation of animals. If we destroy the animal world and this beautiful place where we all live, what we will remain for as, perhaps desolation and emptiness. In which, no man, will no longer be able to find their place.
Profile Image for Nico Genes.
Author 5 books119 followers
August 27, 2018
Inspired by the journal of Helen, an animal activist aka “Rainbow Warrior”, on a mission to protect as many animals as she can, the author takes us on another emotional journey. After reading A World Without Color by the same author, I knew this was a book I had to read. The writing style of the author remained as beautiful as I knew it was, honest, poetic and full of emotions.

This time the author tells us about Danny, a harp seal pup, his parents and brother Jon. This could have been a happy story about all the funny stuff a seal pup could do, right? But no, unfortunately, due to the man’s ignorance and greed this is a really sad story written though in a relaxing way. It is a story of life, love, existence, and humanity at both its worst and very best.

This is more than a novella, it is a cry for awareness and a call to action to anyone that wants to stop the slaughter of innocent creatures. In time, many organizations, and individuals, including the author, had been actively united forces and did what they could to slow down the annihilation and ease the tragic destiny of these adorable, innocent creatures. We are being offered with a set of links of different organizations for any one of us that it's not a member yet and wants to join. The message of this book was honest, sincere and it truly moved me.

Type of reader: Readers of any age, lovers of animals and anyone else that searches for an emotional read.

My favorite quotes from this book:

“Man’s a great mystery. We know not where he comes from, nor where he’s going. Elusive, like a shadow, he leaves wasteland in his wake.”

“I do not doubt I have a big heart and burning desire, but is that enough for a person to become a Rainbow Warrior, or is there something higher in us, something better? Something that lies hidden deep in our innermost selves, something only some of us manage to express and turn into what we have long missed—humanity.”

More book reviews on: https://www.nicojgenes.com/book-reviews
Profile Image for Dario Cannizzaro.
Author 3 books39 followers
April 17, 2018
There's plenty of things that could be said about this novella, and its polarising topic. I'm tempted to go into details but I also want to avoid spoilers, which is very hard; but what I can say is that the author didn't shy away from telling a story as-is; he avoided falling into cliches which might have left the readers happier, but it would have diminished its message.

It's a tale of love and death, like all the important tales. These tales should be read in school, because too often there's a tendency to avoid the important things in order to protect our younglings; but those are the same younglings that will rule the world one day, and if we do want a better world, our job is not to shield them from the truth, but to show it to them; and with this in mind, Bernard Jan does a superb job, because his prose is poetic and enjoyable, and even the dark moments is has a special quality to it - the quality that comes with knowing that the power to change the world is in our hands.

Thanks Bernard for not shying away from such important topics!
Profile Image for Bernard Jan.
Author 9 books212 followers
Read
October 11, 2021
I will not review my book but will use this space to share Editorial Reviews here.

"It is a beautiful story that will tug at the hearts of all readers who love animals and who want to protect them and the environment. Danny's character is memorable and he will leave a mark in the hearts of readers long after they finish the book . . . The book also captures the beauty of Mother Nature in many ways, inspiring readers with a longing to protect the planet."—Mamta Madhavan for Readers' Favorite
Profile Image for Tina.
2 reviews
REVIEW OF
“LOOK FOR ME UNDER THE RAINBOW"
AUTHOR, BERNARD JAN

RATING: Five Stars

Bernard Jan’s new release of “Look for Me Under the Rainbow”, is a rewrite of his book with the same title released in 1998. This new amazing version of Bernard’s story is a much more exciting, colorful, and family friendly story than depicted in the older version. This story is an insider’s view of the daily life of a baby seal named Danny, and his family. As Bernard draws you into Danny’s world, you are magically transported so deeply into this story that you can’t help but fall in love with Danny and his icy world. The story begins on the ice floes in the Newfoundland area of Eastern Canada then migrates north towards Greenland.

Danny’s heartwarming story begins with the struggle of his birth. He is born a plump, furry little boy as white as the world around him. As he grows, like all children, he is curious, adventurous, yet timid about his new surroundings. This concerns his loving, nurturing mother. She fears for Danny’s safety as this icy place has many dangers that can take her beautiful baby from her. To protect him, his mother teaches him of the surrounding perils by explaining them to him in fairy tale-like stories; except for one, the most dangerous peril of all – man, which she explains in detail. Danny, being an intelligent and obedient child, diligently heeds his mother’s warnings. One day Danny is blessed by the arrival of a little brother, Jon. Jon, orphaned at birth was adopted into Danny’s family. Danny immediately fell in love with Jon and took the role of mentor and protector. Danny is a happy child for the most part. The only exception to his happiness is his father. Danny admires, respects and loves his dad and desperately wants the same in return but his dad always seems so distant. Uncertain of his father’s affections for him, Danny keeps his distance until one day when Dad must come to his rescue. Danny’s life is a happy, adventurous one but unfortunately, a short one. When you read the last chapter of Danny’s life, his tragic, preventable death will break your heart and bring tears to your eyes. You will mourn for a beloved friend.

Bernard’s characters and their world leap to life! His technicolor descriptions create in-depth imageries so real that your mind will easily become lost in them. The imagery is so clear, so vivid, you can almost hear the ice melt. Although Danny succumbs to his treacherous world, there are no elaborate graphic descriptions of gore. “Look for Me Under the Rainbow” is appropriate for young adults and possibly younger. Bernard Jan’s masterful writing weaves an action packed, fast moving, smooth tale void of the distractions of grammatical or punctuation errors. The book is a clean production that is a pleasure to read and I recommend it highly. I personally enjoyed the book immensely!

Although, “Look for Me Under the Rainbow”, is a wonderfully sweet story, this book does have a purpose. Bernard Jan, being a human and animal rights activist, wrote this book to bring awareness of the climate change dangers and hunting cruelty that these innocent creatures, the harp seals and animals in general, face every day. This book is also a tribute to those who dedicate and risk their lives rescuing these beautiful animals through their work with the Rainbow Warriors and other animal rights organizations like them. This book is not a lecture or a recruiting tool. It is meant to broaden the awareness of the ramifications of climate change and the eventual extinction of a species due to genocide by cruel hunting methods. No matter where you stand on these matters, read the book! Even though it has a sad ending, it is a heartwarming story that you and your family will enjoy. It may influence your thinking, it may not. Either way, Danny’s story is a captivating read.

Tina Mari Combs,
TMC Author Services, USA
April 2018

Author’s Note: Although I had an Advance Reader PDF, I did purchase the book on Amazon for my family. This review is my personal, objective opinion of the above-mentioned work. I was in no way compensated by its author.

Profile Image for Rebecca Gransden.
Author 14 books210 followers
April 17, 2018
Look for Me Under the Rainbow is a short and imaginative tale, aimed at a YA audience but inviting of all ages. Removed from young (and I’m sure some would say adult as well) I’m not part of the intended demographic for this work, but I’ve read Bernard Jan’s writing before so was happy to give this one a try.

From the off the stakes are presented as extremely high. We are plunged into the world of an infant seal pup, where dangers are incessant. The vast whiteness of an endless icy panorama emphasises the vulnerability and natural plight of such a small creature, birthed near helpless onto a shifting frozen surface. The young pup is entirely reliant on his mother and seal family, and at first has many questions about this precarious and exciting world he has been born into.

Seal society has a purposeful folkloric and spiritual tradition, handed down in the mythologies they tell. In this way, the young pup attempts to find insights into the very immediate issues of life and death he sees playing out around him. I found this element of the story very nicely done.

With a book of this kind, with anthropomorphism at the centre of the text, mawkishness is a potential pitfall. Overall, the text avoids this however, setting an exploratory tone from early on, and including the more brutal and pitiless aspects of an animal’s life in quite graphic and brutal detail. This book does not condescend to younger people. There is an agenda to the book, and it is one that is pro animal rights, but I don’t feel in a haranguing or preachy way, instead raising the necessary questions and leaving the reader to make up their own mind.

Some of the most successful passages of the book were, for me, those where the tension of the natural impulse to explore collided with the the risk of straying too far. A constant feeling of menace and dread hangs over this novella, the characters subjected to abiding threats, a peril waiting unseen in the snowy landscape. There are some lyrical descriptions involving the natural formations of this world, and also regarding the precipice between life and death, that are very memorable.

A thought provoking read, to be especially appreciated by younger readers who want to explore the ethics surrounding environmental and animal rights movements.
Profile Image for Jolie.
1,457 reviews34 followers
August 23, 2019
When I read the blurb for Look for Me Under the Rainbow, it caught my interest. I wasn’t expecting the feelings that this book evoked. I felt everything from joy to horror to sadness.

I will admit, I went into Look for Me Under the Rainbow with a certain mindset. I thought that it was going to be a children’s book about a young seal pup named Danny and his adventures. Well, that isn’t the case. Instead, I got a book that showed exactly how hard a harp seal’s life is and the dangers they face.

Danny was a great main character. His curiosity and innocence were what I expected from a harp seal pup. The questions he asked were what I expected a child to ask. But, like all children, Danny disobeys his mother, and there are consequences.

The harp seal pups slaughter was horrifying. I had thought that clubbing them to death had ended. The other horrors that the author described (being skinned alive and left to die) made me sick to my stomach. I kept thinking to myself, “How is that humane??? They are babies!!!” I cannot believe that this is allowed. That is when my horror turned to outrage.

The author also showed what the seals went through if they survived the slaughter. Everything from natural enemies (killer whales and polar bears) to human-made hazards (oil spills to nets left floating in the ocean). It was heartbreaking.

I liked that the author showed that people are trying to do the right thing. The Rainbow Warriors and Helen tried to stop the slaughter. How they did it was smart. I wouldn’t have thought to do that!! But those activists are only a small handful of people. More people need to help.

Look for Me Under the Rainbow is a short book, actually a novella. Marketed towards children, I was a little iffy about the age range on this. I decided on Tween because I felt that the younger kids could be traumatized by the descriptions of the seal pup slaughter.

The end of Look for Me Under the Rainbow wasn’t a happy one. But it wasn’t a sad one either. It was an eye opening one.
Profile Image for Stephanie Jane.
Author 1 book226 followers
November 24, 2021
See more book reviews on my vegan book blog, HirlGrend

Look For Me Under The Rainbow is a real tearjerker of a novella. Bernard Jan begins his story from the point of view of a curious young seal pup, Danny, learning about life on remote ice floes. The character of Danny is obviously anthromorphised to a certain extent, but I felt this was done sensitively and the effect is absolutely worth the slight suspension of disbelief required of me as a reader. Danny's mother teaches him about the natural predators and dangers he might encounter during his lifetime, but she is still so severely traumatised from a past encounter with humans that, despite his repeated pestering, she cannot even discuss all the possible dangers from this one potential threat.

The novella is intended for a younger audience so Jan does not go into graphic details of the ghastly seal hunts that inspired him to write this book as a protest against them. Greenpeace action last century brought the cruelty into the global spotlight, but the practice still continues so I feel that Look For Me Under The Rainbow is equally as a relevant a read today as it was on its publication over 25 years ago. Perhaps even more shocking to me though was Danny's encounter with abandoned plastic fishing nets. Reducing oceanic plastic pollution is very much the fashionable campaign of the past few years. Danny's heart-breaking story demonstrates how late we are in realising the reality of our carelessness.
Profile Image for Brady.
86 reviews22 followers
May 11, 2018
What a great story that brings wildlife and humanity together. I wanted more. More stories of the Danny and the relationships that he had. More of the backstory of Helen.

The issue that is addressed in this novella is an important one as we see changes we cannot control and changes we can control happening each day on our beautiful Earth. The story definitely gave me a greater appreciation for the warriors who fight for positive change.

The book was very good. I just wanted more of it. That’s why it gets 3 Stars. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Profile Image for Kristina Gallo.
Author 21 books118 followers
September 14, 2018
I read this book with a feeling of sadness, rage, and the admiration. Here is more humanity in animals than in some people in the reality. As a big fan of nature, I support protection of animal's right. If Danny was a human he would teach us many things, how to respect the rules of nature and to be less selfish.
The oil stain in the sea, killing animals for hunting, all are signs of human's selfishness. Even I did not read much of this genre before, this author made me like it. Thanks.
Profile Image for Chealsea.
50 reviews1 follower
November 22, 2020
This novella took a complete different path than I was originally expecting. That being said, it was brilliant. This story has so much potential to enlighten people on the corruption that humans are causing to this planet. This novella represents everything that I stand for. The author did an incredible job at bringing up this topic and thank you for sending me the copy!
May 6, 2019
Heartbreaking/loving

I believe that. the author has a great love for all animals. With the gift of writing about them as soul mates from the heart. Anyone who lived in the 60s and 70s saw this type of event unfold and watched tv clips with tears in our eyes, thinking how can people be so evil. The book was great at telling the story from the victim s point of view. Thank you.
Profile Image for Michał Hołda .
335 reviews35 followers
May 7, 2018
Nicely written fairy tale that set you in motion to wonder as one, who has traveled to Icebergs. Lullaby for sweet dreams under the sky.

Profile Image for Toni Osborne.
1,357 reviews44 followers
May 21, 2018
This is a very touching novella about a pup seal name Danny who spends his days playing with his brother and learning life skills from his mother. It also brings out those with big heart and a desire to save animals: the environmentalists. Helen is a young activist and a crew member of the Rainbow Warriors and will lead the way in the last part of this very emotional journey.

This powerful story invokes all sorts of emotions and focuses on the many dangers Danny faces from birth on. The narration and dialogue are elegant and poetic, the presentation extremely graphic although not gruesome in anyways, definitely no need for pictures. No doubt, the author took a lot of care with this story to drive his points across.

Of course to shock us…..this story brings out some of the dangers Danny will encounter, such as: facing humans during the annual seal hunt, being covered in oil spills during the migratory season north, fighting for his life caught in derelict fishnets left behind by trawlers. The author does not mention the sea of plastic that also roam our oceans. Here come Helen, the saviour, she does her best to safe the young colony from the hunters and Danny from drowning but there is so much to do and little time to do it.

In the last chapters, Mr. Jan does his pitch on activism and has a strong voice about his believes although he abstains from being too preachy….. This is well written story for all ages.

I received a copy for review from the author these are my honest thoughts
4 reviews1 follower
April 17, 2018
A longer review also appeared on http://www.ingmaralbizu.com/look-for-...

An Author with Something to Say,

If A World Without Color was about the last weeks with his cat Marcel, Look for Me Under the Rainbow is about baby seals hunt for their fur. Like the first book, it is a tearjerker and not an easy read for those of us with sensibilities.

What he does right is personify these little creatures, give them personalities, myths and a culture. They feel not like animals but people. Another accomplishment is the author could have taken the easy way out and portrait all humans as ‘evil’. Nonetheless, he shows both sides, good and bad which encompasses humanity.

As you read, you will follow Danny, Jon and their parents and friends from birth to early childhood to their eventual demise. The arctic waters will feel not like a different world but your backyard. Their dreams and games not unlike those of human children. And yet, their fate is so different.

From the beautiful cover to the elegant prose bordering at times in poetic, you can tell there was lots of care into this narrative. This is the kind of story which will make you question why we hunt our fellow creatures.

As a bonus, there is a list of websites and resources if you want to get more involved. And you will.

I will rate the book a 9/10.

Profile Image for Elaine Emmerick.
137 reviews8 followers
April 17, 2018
A BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN STORY!

"Look for Me Under the Rainbow" is a beautiful yet tragic story about the plight of white harp seal pups. Danny, a young seal pup asks his mother about "man". "Man is dangerous", she says to him. Yet, he sees a woman with blonde hair approach him and touched his fur - she looks kind-hearted.

The journey that begins with Danny and his adopted brother Jon, as they make their way with the others to Greenland is filled with many emotions...love, fear, loneliness and death.

The Rainbow Warriors are a group of people trying to protect the seal pups. Their love for these animals can be heart-breaking. Helen and Erwin feel the pain of Danny's death but will continue to search and rescue those in danger. Even the earth feels the pain of his loss....

I thoroughly enjoyed this story and I'm grateful that Bernard shared his story for new readers. His attention to detail and the narration was amazing! As I read the dialogue between mother and son, those emotions of love and protection comes off the page! This is a beautiful 5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ read and I encourage you to read it as well. It's a moving experience!
4 reviews
April 17, 2018
Another great book by this Croatian writer with a powerful message regarding conservation/animal protection/environment. Certainly worth reading.

This book follows the story of a little seal pup Danny and his family and shows us the dangers that lurk out there for them. Not only in the form of natural challenges, but also very much so in the form of what we as humans throw their way. From the thoughtless killing of seal pups for their skins, just leaving their flesh to rot, to our fishing nets in which they can get tangled and killed.

A moving story, which also shows the heartache of the humans as part of the rainbow warriors, who try to do what they can to protect and save them.
Profile Image for Ivan.
231 reviews1 follower
April 17, 2018
The message is pretty straightforward. I liked how it was written from a seal's perspective, makes people think about what the animals, themselves, might be thinking.

The writing style is amazing, the narration is unique as it's a story from the animal's point of view.

This is a really good book with an awesome story and writing from an animal's perspective regarding people and the dangers and threats that humans can be regarding animals.
Profile Image for Sara Kjeldsen.
Author 12 books66 followers
January 25, 2019
I loved this short story about a sweet young harp seal who faces both adventure and loss. This is a gentle, but realistic tale about the life many seals face out in the wild - with humans being their most feared predator. While very sad in parts, I found this story to be very though-provoking and encouraging. If only we can stay brave and true to ourselves even when the darker parts of the world show us their horrible faces.
Profile Image for Haley Belinda.
Author 15 books23 followers
January 16, 2019
Outstanding!

Forgive any errors, I Can't see the screen I am so moved. I have read this in one evening, I couldn't put it down. Told by a seal family, the life of little Danny is an amazing fight for survival. I don't want to give too many spoilers but this book is worth every penny to teach humanity, love and compassion.
Profile Image for Angela.
4,045 reviews48 followers
October 17, 2019
5 Stars

Look For Me Under the Rainbow by Bernard Jan is an incredibly passionate eye-opening reading experience, which has stayed with me long after I finished the last page. It is a thought-provoking tale which highlights the plight of the Harp Seals and what we humans inflict on them every year. I hadn’t realised that seal hunting still continues to this day- I honestly thought it was abolished decades ago- so I learned quite a bit, not only from the story- but also from my investigation into the topic on the internet.
The story follows Danny the Harp Seal who is one of the seasons ‘new’ pups. He is inquisitive, playful, and trusting. I though Bernard Jan was quite clever in the way he used Danny to tell the story, getting us (the reader) invested in him and the outcome of his story, and thereby really making his message hit home.
There are confronting, heartbreaking scenes which were quite intense. It definitely drew an emotional response from me. It highlights the best and worst of humanity- as well as encouraging us to be better stewards of our planet. While the story embraces environmental activism, animal rights, and bringing awareness to this shocking practice- it is all woven around a really well-written and emotive story.
Well worth the read!

Thank you, Bernard Jan!

Profile Image for Robin.
421 reviews2 followers
April 30, 2018
i was immediately drawn to the cover of this novella that popped up on my suggestions and being that it was free i thought why not so i read it one night recently. it is written in a way that is probably geared more so to younger readers and isn't as graphic as a lot of the stories i remember hearing in the news a few years back when this book was probably written, so it is safe and educational for all ages.

the story is told from a baby seal's perspective as well as an animal rights activist's. you see the baby seal being born and starting to grow up and learn about the life and its beauty, and also about the consequences of not listening to what his mommy told him and his brother about predators and staying with their group as they migrated. obviously i know that not all babies survive with predators constantly lurking, but it was still sad knowing what happened and you have to wonder if maybe their deaths might have been prevented if they had stayed with their group. but then again, their sister was with the group and was killed by a man instead of a polar bear, so it is hard to say.

animals have always been hunted both by people and other animals, sometimes for food and survival, sometimes for sport. i remember there was a time where hunters were clubbing baby seals to death, some not even more than a few days old, just for their fur. while i will admit that i do eat meat, i would never purposely harm another living creature (not counting roaches and spiders or things like that) and i cant for my life understand why anyone would beat a helpless baby to death just for a teeny patch of fur. the rainbow warriors, which are animal rights activists mentioned in this story and the lady is part of, have worked hard to try to help prevent this from continuing. i am not sure if it is still as big of an issue as when this book was written, but just reading and learning more about the plight of the baby seals and what so many innocent creatures go through makes you really think about how precious life can be and i can only hope this doesn't continue. sad but moving story that was definitely worth reading.
Profile Image for Johanna Aldridge.
24 reviews8 followers
January 10, 2019
When I first saw this advertised I was immediately drawn to it. As a child, I loved stories about animals and fell in love with the likes of Watership Down, Tarker the Otter, Ring of Brightwater, etc. and Look For Me Under the Rainbow certainly falls in among these greats. You get to follow the life story of a little seal pup, called Danny, and see the world through his eyes right from the moment of his birth.
However, that is not to say that this book is entirely fiction. Most people will have, at some point in their lives, seen the horrifying, heart breaking photos/videos of seal pup slaughter, of how they are beaten to death for their fur. This book holds nothing back and will challenge the reader to face the cold, hard facts of the destructive power of man, but it will also provide hope that we can reverse the tide. We can, if we pull together, change the future of this planet and the animals in our care, as long as we maintain hope and faith in our own humanity. Bernard Jan’s kindness, compassion and Rainbow Warrior spirit shines through with every word, and his experiences with Green Peace are a worthy example to all.

Really can’t recommend this book enough, though I would caution you to keep a box of tissues on standby.
5*s for this wonderful piece of writing and truly eye opening account of life on the ‘bergs.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 46 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.