Start by marking “Look for Me Under the Rainbow” as Want to Read:
Look for Me Under the Rainbow

Look for Me Under the Rainbow

Sometimes all you need is a big heart and burning desire.

Danny, a curious harp seal pup, has soft white fur and black innocent eyes. Helen is an environmentalist and member of a young activist crew of the Rainbow Warriors. Their mission is to save animals.

As winter turns into spring, a new generation of seal pups comes to life. A few weeks later, the killing begins. Agains
Kindle Edition
Published April 15th 2018 by Bernard Jan (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Look for Me Under the Rainbow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Look for Me Under the Rainbow

Start your review of Look for Me Under the Rainbow
Mischenko
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This review can also be seen @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2018/...

This book captured my attention from the beginning to end. I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect, but after reading A World Without Color, I knew this was a book I had to read.

It begins with the story of Danny, a seal pup with his whole life in front of him. As Danny spends his days playing curiously with his brother and learning life skills from his mother, he discovers what’s acceptable and also what isn’t safe.

“Is only t
Starjustin
Shelves: ya
An extraordinary story by and 'extraordinary' author who has a strong passion for animals in a world where animals are not always protected and have to fear for their lives.
Bernard Jan adds a human touch to a group of seals that are bearing young in a land that should be theirs alone but mankind has invaded for negligent self-purpose. He speaks of a group of people known as GreenPeace and their efforts to protect the seals from annihilation.
A fantastic book that needs to be read by all includi
James
I've been following the author of this book, Bernard Jan, for about a year, but I hadn't read any of his written works previously. When my shiba inu passed away earlier this year, someone reminded me to get a copy of Look for Me Under the Rainbow: A Novella as it would provide some comfort and offer a few ideas about the life of animals outside what we know. I purchased a copy last month and added it to my TBR once I was ready to deal with the concept of a wonderful animal passing away.

Jan offer
Carrie
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Look for Me Under the Rainbow by Bernard Jan is a fairly short read at novella length that takes readers into an up close and personal look at the life of a seal pup names Danny. The majority of the story is told from Danny’s point of view but in the end it switches to a young girl named Helen who is fighting to save the wild animals.

I loved spending a bit of time looking at the world through Danny’s eyes right from the opening of the book. Anyone who has been around toddlers can relate to Danny
TeaAndBooks

Plot: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Narration: 5/5
Characters: 5/5

Firstly, I must give a huge thank you to Bernard Jan, the wonderful author of this equally amazing book for sending me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

Another great book from Bernard Jan! I can now officially say that he is one of my favourite authors of all time!

This book was wonderful in more ways that one. The style of writing and language used was moving, touching and simply incredible! The plot itself was one th

Peter
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Malignant
Often in nature films and documentaries, we get an appreciation of how precarious life can be for wild animals and that we are all potentially in the food chain for some other animal. If you’ve ever seen the Orca whale tossing a seal in the air repeatedly, it is a brutal and disturbing scene, yet it is nature. Us humans are meant to be more controlled and ‘humane’ about how we manage our food sources and ancient legends cry out to us to respect the animals we kill and ensure that having
Dianne
Every once in a while, an author comes along who wears their heart on their sleeve and pours it onto the pages of a book. If you haven’t read anything by Bernard Jan, you are missing an opportunity to feel his words to your very soul.

LOOK FOR ME UNDER THE RAINBOW begins as a sweet tale of innocence and love and wonder in the big world all around. Danny was born in an unforgiving environment, but for his kind, it was home, safe and filled with the awe of a young child learning at his mother’s sid
Stjepan Cobets
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fan of the story to help animals
Shelves: indie, fiction
My rating 5.0

Look for Me Under the Rainbow: A Novella by Bernard Jan is a book that cannot leave you indifferent. This is a story that will go deep into the heart and soul. The human species sometimes can be very cruel to animals and literally exterminate certain species only because of arrogance and money.
The story leads us through the life of a curious harp seal pup Danny. Danny is like any young cubs are curious and want to explore the world where he lives, but that the world is full of dang
Nico Genes
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inspired by the journal of Helen, an animal activist aka “Rainbow Warrior”, on a mission to protect as many animals as she can, the author takes us on another emotional journey. After reading A World Without Color by the same author, I knew this was a book I had to read. The writing style of the author remained as beautiful as I knew it was, honest, poetic and full of emotions.

This time the author tells us about Danny, a harp seal pup, his parents and brother Jon. This could have been a happy s
Dario Cannizzaro
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There's plenty of things that could be said about this novella, and its polarising topic. I'm tempted to go into details but I also want to avoid spoilers, which is very hard; but what I can say is that the author didn't shy away from telling a story as-is; he avoided falling into cliches which might have left the readers happier, but it would have diminished its message.

It's a tale of love and death, like all the important tales. These tales should be read in school, because too often there's a
Tina
REVIEW OF
“LOOK FOR ME UNDER THE RAINBOW"
AUTHOR, BERNARD JAN

RATING: Five Stars

Bernard Jan’s new release of “Look for Me Under the Rainbow”, is a rewrite of his book with the same title released in 1998. This new amazing version of Bernard’s story is a much more exciting, colorful, and family friendly story than depicted in the older version. This story is an insider’s view of the daily life of a baby seal named Danny, and his family. As Bernard draws you into Danny’s world, you are magical
Rebecca Gransden
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Look for Me Under the Rainbow is a short and imaginative tale, aimed at a YA audience but inviting of all ages. Removed from young (and I’m sure some would say adult as well) I’m not part of the intended demographic for this work, but I’ve read Bernard Jan’s writing before so was happy to give this one a try.

From the off the stakes are presented as extremely high. We are plunged into the world of an infant seal pup, where dangers are incessant. The vast whiteness of an endless icy panorama empha
Brady
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
What a great story that brings wildlife and humanity together. I wanted more. More stories of the Danny and the relationships that he had. More of the backstory of Helen.

The issue that is addressed in this novella is an important one as we see changes we cannot control and changes we can control happening each day on our beautiful Earth. The story definitely gave me a greater appreciation for the warriors who fight for positive change.

The book was very good. I just wanted more of it. That’s wh
Kristina Gallo
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book with a feeling of sadness, rage, and the admiration. Here is more humanity in animals than in some people in the reality. As a big fan of nature, I support protection of animal's right. If Danny was a human he would teach us many things, how to respect the rules of nature and to be less selfish.
The oil stain in the sea, killing animals for hunting, all are signs of human's selfishness. Even I did not read much of this genre before, this author made me like it. Thanks.
Chealsea
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novella took a complete different path than I was originally expecting. That being said, it was brilliant. This story has so much potential to enlighten people on the corruption that humans are causing to this planet. This novella represents everything that I stand for. The author did an incredible job at bringing up this topic and thank you for sending me the copy!
Barbara Vasconcellos
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking/loving

I believe that. the author has a great love for all animals. With the gift of writing about them as soul mates from the heart. Anyone who lived in the 60s and 70s saw this type of event unfold and watched tv clips with tears in our eyes, thinking how can people be so evil. The book was great at telling the story from the victim s point of view. Thank you.
Michał/Michael Nikodem/Nicodemus  Hołda/Holda
Nicely written fairy tale that set you in motion to wonder as one, who has traveled to Icebergs. Lullaby for sweet dreams under the sky.

Jolie
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I read the blurb for Look for Me Under the Rainbow, it caught my interest. I wasn’t expecting the feelings that this book evoked. I felt everything from joy to horror to sadness.

I will admit, I went into Look for Me Under the Rainbow with a certain mindset. I thought that it was going to be a children’s book about a young seal pup named Danny and his adventures. Well, that isn’t the case. Instead, I got a book that showed exactly how hard a harp seal’s life is and the dangers they face.

Dann
Stephanie Jane
Dec 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-europe
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

Look For Me Under The Rainbow is a real tearjerker of a novella. Bernard Jan begins his story from the point of view of a curious young seal pup, Danny, learning about life on remote ice floes. The character of Danny is obviously anthromorphised to a certain extent, but I felt this was done sensitively and the effect is absolutely worth the slight suspension of disbelief required of me as a reader. Danny's mother teaches him about the natural
Toni Osborne
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very touching novella about a pup seal name Danny who spends his days playing with his brother and learning life skills from his mother. It also brings out those with big heart and a desire to save animals: the environmentalists. Helen is a young activist and a crew member of the Rainbow Warriors and will lead the way in the last part of this very emotional journey.

This powerful story invokes all sorts of emotions and focuses on the many dangers Danny faces from birth on. The narration
Ingmar
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A longer review also appeared on http://www.ingmaralbizu.com/look-for-...

An Author with Something to Say,

If A World Without Color was about the last weeks with his cat Marcel, Look for Me Under the Rainbow is about baby seals hunt for their fur. Like the first book, it is a tearjerker and not an easy read for those of us with sensibilities.

What he does right is personify these little creatures, give them personalities, myths and a culture. They feel not like animals but people. Another accomplis
Elaine Emmerick
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN STORY!

"Look for Me Under the Rainbow" is a beautiful yet tragic story about the plight of white harp seal pups. Danny, a young seal pup asks his mother about "man". "Man is dangerous", she says to him. Yet, he sees a woman with blonde hair approach him and touched his fur - she looks kind-hearted.

The journey that begins with Danny and his adopted brother Jon, as they make their way with the others to Greenland is filled with many emotions...love, fear, loneliness and death.
Adam Webling
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
First of all, can we take a moment to look at how haunting and powerful this cover is. It took me a second to realise what was in the foreground, but once you do, you understand this story is going to be emotional.

And emotional it was. Following a young seal, this novella explores the mass killing of seal pups and the effects humans are having on the oceans. It’s an important read that highlights human greed and cruelty in an accessible way. It’s told from a seals POV, so you are fully immersed
Jo Trimgym
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by this Croatian writer with a powerful message regarding conservation/animal protection/environment. Certainly worth reading.

This book follows the story of a little seal pup Danny and his family and shows us the dangers that lurk out there for them. Not only in the form of natural challenges, but also very much so in the form of what we as humans throw their way. From the thoughtless killing of seal pups for their skins, just leaving their flesh to rot, to our fishing nets in
Ivan
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The message is pretty straightforward. I liked how it was written from a seal's perspective, makes people think about what the animals, themselves, might be thinking.

The writing style is amazing, the narration is unique as it's a story from the animal's point of view.

This is a really good book with an awesome story and writing from an animal's perspective regarding people and the dangers and threats that humans can be regarding animals.
Sara Kjeldsen
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this short story about a sweet young harp seal who faces both adventure and loss. This is a gentle, but realistic tale about the life many seals face out in the wild - with humans being their most feared predator. While very sad in parts, I found this story to be very though-provoking and encouraging. If only we can stay brave and true to ourselves even when the darker parts of the world show us their horrible faces.
Angela
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

Look For Me Under the Rainbow by Bernard Jan is an incredibly passionate eye-opening reading experience, which has stayed with me long after I finished the last page. It is a thought-provoking tale which highlights the plight of the Harp Seals and what we humans inflict on them every year. I hadn’t realised that seal hunting still continues to this day- I honestly thought it was abolished decades ago- so I learned quite a bit, not only from the story- but also from my investigation into t
Robin
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
i was immediately drawn to the cover of this novella that popped up on my suggestions and being that it was free i thought why not so i read it one night recently. it is written in a way that is probably geared more so to younger readers and isn't as graphic as a lot of the stories i remember hearing in the news a few years back when this book was probably written, so it is safe and educational for all ages.

the story is told from a baby seal's perspective as well as an animal rights activist's.
Johanna Aldridge
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I first saw this advertised I was immediately drawn to it. As a child, I loved stories about animals and fell in love with the likes of Watership Down, Tarker the Otter, Ring of Brightwater, etc. and Look For Me Under the Rainbow certainly falls in among these greats. You get to follow the life story of a little seal pup, called Danny, and see the world through his eyes right from the moment of his birth.
However, that is not to say that this book is entirely fiction. Most people will have,
Happy Booker
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Look for Me Under the Rainbow is a short story about an environmentalist trying to save a seals life. Helen has to save Danny from the hunters and the ice.

While this book emphasized on the nature aspect of the world and how we are affecting animals and the living. It also touched on pure human emotion and how far one can go to protect an animal.

The literature took me on an emotional ride as we also follow Danny and his life reading along with his experience as a baby seal, his father and what h
Making Connections: 6017. - Look for Me Under the Rainbow by Bernard Jan 1 14 Jan 10, 2021 01:43PM

• The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1)
  • The Visitor: A Post-Apocalyptic Murder Mystery
  • Cassie Cancels Christmas: A Fun, Festive Novella about the Real Magic of Christmas
  • Dancing in the Mosque: An Afghan Mother's Letter to Her Son
  • The Sound of Your Soul
  • Editing Your Novel's Structure
  • The Two Hundred Ghost
  • The Chimes
  • Manifesto: How a maverick entrepreneur took on British energy and won
  • Peripheral Vision: A Supernatural Thriller
  • Eye of the Beholder: A Reimagining of Beauty and the Beast (Magic Mirror Book 1)
  • The Man in the Moonlight
  • Love Under the Stars (The Brashear Series Book 1)
  • Vera
  • To Ride a White Horse (Out of Ireland,  #1)
  • The Henna Wars
  • Pedro's Theory
  • Ink (Tribe #1)
"There is no greater joy than to share what you love with those who appreciate it." - Bernard Jan

Bernard Jan is a novelist and a poet from Croatia, and he has released three books in English.

A World Without Color is a true story of the last three days he spent with his cat, while Look for Me Under the Rainbow in a unique and gentle way sheds light on the plight of harp seal pups in Canada. It warm

News & Interviews

“Sometimes all you need is a big heart and burning desire.” 4 likes
“All that is best in me I have given to (animals) and I mean to stand by them to the last and share their fate whatever it may be. If it is true that there is to be no haven of rest for them when their sufferings here are at an end, I, for one, am not going to bargain for any heaven for myself. I shall go without fear where they go, and by the side of my brothers and sisters from the forests and the fields, from skies to seas, lie down to merciful extinction in their mysterious underworld, safe from any further torments.” —Preface to The Story of San Michele by Axel Munthe” 1 likes