Start by marking “What I Lick Before Your Face ... and Other Haikus By Dogs” as Want to Read:
What I Lick Before Your Face ... and Other Haikus By Dogs

What I Lick Before Your Face ... and Other Haikus By Dogs

*The perfect stocking filler for the dog lover in your life!*

You may take my balls
But I will lick what remains
And then, dear, your face

Imagine if your dog could talk to you. Better still, imagine if it could express its innermost feelings in poetic form.

This hilarious, insightful book confirms what we've all long suspected - that inside every dog is the soul of a poet.
Published November 1st 2018 by Bantam Press

Be the first to ask a question about What I Lick Before Your Face ... and Other Haikus By Dogs

Start your review of What I Lick Before Your Face ... and Other Haikus By Dogs
karen
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: roof, pomes
Licks

You seem to think that
The licking thing signals love
Salt is delicious

if you've run out of books by Francesco Marciuliano, don't despair—this jamie coleman guy is ALSO driving the "poems by dogs and cats" bus, so clamber aboard! and while, like marciuliano's many-book output, his is also full of adorable doggie photographs accompanying the haiku'd thoughts and feelings of these pooches, i have saved his for you to discover 'twixt the covers, scouring the internet for my own doggie-pics to
Juli
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As the proud owner of 4 rescue dogs, I totally needed this book! Not only is it filled with doggie wisdom in poetry form, but it also has lots of awesome photos as well. Fun and entertaining!

This collection of 64 Haiku covers just about everything Dog from drinking out of the toilet to turning in circles before laying down. The verses are funny, cute and sometimes disturbing. Who wants to think about what a dog licks before it licks your face? :) The photos are adorable and picture dogs of all
Wrenn
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A charming, witty and entertaining book of haikus and pictures of our four legged friends.
This was fun to read, a great gift for dog lovers.
The beautiful color photos of the many different breeds are so expressive and heartwarming.
The title haiku was probably my favorite, but the one below really tugs at my heart!

Returning
Whenever you leave
The wonder of your return
Almost makes things whole

A must have for all dog moms and dads!
Thank you to @meganrudloff and Atria Books for the gifted copy.
Lyndsay
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a wonderful collection of poems. It was the perfect mixture of sweet, sad and just plain hilarious. I think this a perfect gift for any dog lover and its guaranteed to make you smile!

*Thank you again to Atria Books for sending me a copy!*
Jennifer Brown
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable book! I loved all the pictures of the different dogs. The poems made me smile and some of them are so true!
Vicki
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, 2019, arcs2019, poetry
Wonderfully subversive and laugh-out-loud funny.

My thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for providing me with this digital review copy.
Kelly
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Poems About Poop (and True Love!)

(Full disclosure: I received a free e-ARC for review through Netgalley.)

If my dog could write haikus, I'd like to imagine that he'd wax poetic about his undying love for me: his human, his nurse, his cheerleader; the one constant in his chaotic (albeit tragically short) life. The one person who's stuck by him, through better and worse (and the absolute worst). In reality, it'd probably be a lot of poop talk, interspersed with odes to his favorite noms and a
Trish
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I gifted this to my dog-mommy best friend for Christmas but couldn't help but read it before wrapping it and giving it to her. *lol*

Haikus, for those who don't know, are traditional Japanese poems, the shortest poems in the world. They usually have three sentences going in the order 5 syllables 7 syllables and then 5 syllables again. Moreover, the idea of a haiku is "cutting", which is to say that there is a cutting word (kireji) funtioning as a punctuation between the juxtaposition of two
Samantha
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I think this is the cutest book I’ve seen in quite a while. It is hilarious and full of adorable pictures of dogs. This is a quick read and one you can pick up again and again and enjoy. Perfect book to gift to the dog lovers in your life. Highly recommended for a quick pick-me-up!
Daniel
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book of Haiku's I have read. I once read a book about how to write haiku and that book had Haiku's in it. But, I have never read a book that only had Haiku's in it.

I liked the pictures that went along with the Haiku's. My favorite Haiku from the book is called crayons. The picture that goes along with crayons is adorable.
Cat
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lol! I love dogs and Jamie Coleman has them down pat! I am sure this is exactly what our dogs think. I love the haikus and these ones are just grand. Put it on a buy list if you love dogs. Make a great gift for the dog lovers in your life, as well. Photos are perfect accompaniments to the poems. Brilliant!
I received a Kindle arc from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Cassie
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I actually read this months ago because I got my grubby paws on a copy before publication, and I honestly cried with laughter.

My favourites are a toss up between

Perspective

If you're being genuine
Or rhetorical
Diana Mack
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This an adorable book that would make a great stocking stuffer for the dog lovers in your life.
A cute picture of a dog accompanies each haiku. These are not sappy haikus..these are sarcastic, funny haikus making fun of humans thinking chasing balls is fun. Of dogs peeing everywhere.
I love dogs. Loved this book
Kate
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super cute book of dog-inspired haikus. From chewing on things to drinking toilet water, there’s some really funny ones and some super cute ones. Perfect coffee table book (if your dog won’t eat it) or gift to a fellow dog lover!
Jamie Rose
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty sure only dog people will get it.
Janet
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Whimsical look at the relationship between dogs and their masters.
Aditi
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny haikus from a dog's point of view.

Also lots of glossy photos of majestic doggos
Mads
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, anthologies
3.5 - Very cute pictures. Some really cute poetry. But a little too much poop poetry for me, personally.
Brendan
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Superb.
Jill
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Atria Books for this copy! We all wonder what dogs could say if they could talk, and this book of haikus does a pretty good job of it!
Ashley Hartley
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hilarious!
Mary
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Doggie haiku. Hilarious. Just what one needs sometimes to lighten things up.
Karen
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, animals
Haikus from a dog's point if view. Lots of poop talk. I can see this in a vet clinic waiting room.

Thank you Atria Books and NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for my honesty review.
Jessica Gadd (love_my_dane_dolly_)
I absolutely love this book!! It has the cutest little poems that are both heartwarming and funny. The photos are beautifull as well. Perfect book for any dog lover. Highly recommend!
Gem (Glimpsing Gembles Blog)
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I read this on Dec 26, 2018 but am not counting it in my challenge list as it’s only small. Mum gave it to me on Christmas Day. It is absolutely hilarious and gorgeous. Loved it.
J.L. O'Neill
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Pretty funny. Got this as an xmas gift. Great for dog lovers and got a laugh out of me and some of the haiku made me think about what I say to my pup.
Christian
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short but hilarious read. Well worth it if you want a laugh or you’re having a bad day.
Paige
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious!
Megan Rudloff
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cutest, most (p)awsome book for fans of The Dogist, WeRateDogs, and every other viral internet dog sensation that bless our timelines each day!
Bekka
Thanks to Atria Books and Netgalley for early access to this title.

This was super fun! There were some laugh-out-loud gems, alongside some more serious ones. I really enjoyed the pictures alongside the poems. There are some lovely portraits of all kinds of dogs, some silly, some dramatic. For a dog lover, this would make an excellent gift book.

• Dear Sweet Pea
  • Bird Brain: Comics About Mental Health, Starring Pigeons
  • Me
  • Look Both Ways
  • The Family Upstairs
  • What Is a Girl Worth?: My Story of Breaking the Silence and Exposing the Truth about Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics
  • The Grace Year
  • The Little Book of Lost Words: Collywobbles, Snollygosters, and 86 Other Surprisingly Useful Terms Worth Resurrecting
  • Unfollow Me
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • The Christmas Wedding Ring