Start by marking “Apex Five: The Plane, Book One” as Want to Read:
Apex Five: The Plane, Book One

Apex Five: The Plane, Book One

For millennia, the people of the Plane have worshipped five megaliths as relics of the mysterious Zaam.

In recent years, the nation of Tabira has employed remarkably advanced technology to subjugate the entire Plane and eradicate all belief in the Zaam. Now, the three remaining nations must uncover the secret behind Tabira's sudden forward leap in civilization.

At the fore
Published April 16th 2018 by Stepping Stones Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Apex Five, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apex Five

Valerie
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Science fiction should be a lend through which we view ourselves. It’s the new philosophy, the path to introspection. Apex Five: The Plane, Book One is no exception. The Israeli-Palestinian conflict can be seen through the post-genocide Lirians trying to coexist with the desert-dwellers of Garo after they flee to their ancestral land. Meanwhile the jungle people echo Native Americans and victims of Imperialism. In this highly religious world, homosexuality is punished by death, even as some of t ...more
Eric Borgerson
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Sarah Katz opens her Apex Five fantasy/sci-fi series in kaleidoscopic splendor. The Plane, Book One is delightful and intriguing, leaving one hungry for the books to follow.

After a brief peek at an ancient cataclysm, The Plane opens in a fictional world where five societies, Tabira, Lir, Garo, Ayam, and an extinct polity known as the Opal nation, comprise a cultural and political tapestry of overlapping history and ancestry. Glowing and mysterious megaliths from a lost civilization tower over

Martin Freznell
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very interesting story and setting. I'm sure it's not for everyone: the language used is sometimes a bit alienating. To me, it felt a bit like I was a kid again trying to wrap my head around the Jack Vance books of my father. It's worth reading every bit, though.

Maybe that's a good comparison? Jack Vance meets Yoko Tsuno.
Mimi
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, let me preface this review by saying that I am not a huge fan of sci-fi. I read Apex Five because I wanted to branch out from my usual reading preferences and I wanted to support an independent author.
Katz’ writing is excellent, truly poetic and at times utterly beautiful. I found her attention to detail and her world-building amazing. The world she created in this novel is profoundly complex and rich with its own history, and without her writing skills, I would have found myself lost in
Quintero Morgan
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The kind of Sci-fi that takes me back to the great days. Dune, 2001 A space odyssey, Hyperion...
Mystery, good banter, great story and concept, sci fi from an author that understands and loves technology.

I have visited many different worlds and universes through reading, but only a few expand my imagination and leave me wondering and wanting to set foot in those worlds, see more, experience the corners I didn't get to see, learn about the culture and people.
This is one of them.
Kelly
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Lacking access to a proper keyboard, this is just going to be a short placeholder until I'm able to write a full review.

Apex Five is a refreshingly original novel by indie author Sarah Katz. Boasting a politically-fueled storyline and some memorable characters/alien races, this is a book I won't be forgetting soon. There were a few very minor qualms I had with some of the POV transitioning, which is the only reason this didn't get the full 5 stars. Still, coming from such a small publishing hous
Britt Wynn
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sarah’s novel is highly recommend and she sheds light through her work via her characters and the world she’s created. You can easily visualize this as a series playing in your mind. If you love reading good science fiction and drama, I highly recommend!
J.S. Frankel
Jul 04, 2018
Sarah Katz
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Adam Cushman
Audrey
Mar 16, 2019
Readers That Love...: Sci-Fi Discount 1 4 Jul 11, 2018 08:18AM
Book reviews 1 2 Jul 11, 2018 08:11AM
Sarah supplements the creativity of sci-fi with the quirk of satire. Outside of writing, she works in cyber security, enjoys traveling and occasionally gets lost out in nature or on Wikipedia.