Start by marking “Taker of Lives (Special Agent Tess Winnett, #4)” as Want to Read:
Taker of Lives (Special Agent Tess Winnett, #4)

Taker of Lives

(Special Agent Tess Winnett #4)

A GRIPPING CRIME THRILLER
How can you outrun a killer you won’t see coming?

They are the most violent, blood-thirsty, and vicious of criminals. While hunting for them, FBI profilers call these monsters UNSUBS, short for unknown subjects of ongoing investigations. At any given time, in the United States there are more than fifty serial killers at large, preying on vulner
Published May 4th 2018 by Italics Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Taker of Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taker of Lives

Pat
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
It was fast paced as usual but I did not enjoy this as much as the first three books in the series. Tess Winnett herself seemed very bad tempered and the killer, who didn't kill per se rather used the online identities of his victims to destroy their lives leading most of them to kill themselves, was a bit meh. By that I mean not quite plausible.

This may be the end of Winnett as the Wolfe seems to be focussing on her new series featuring Baxter and Holt which is excellent.
Jim Crocker
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Tess Winnett FBI Serial Killer Profiler Series

I just finished Taker of Lives, the fourth book in the series. This was an outstanding read, just like all the other ones in this series. It had an added element of creep when the UNSUB speaks directly to the reader, without revealing who it is, of course.

Now I’m a huge Leslie Wolfe fan and can’t wait for the fifth book to come out. Here’s the entire series in order:

1 Dawn Girl
2 The Watson Girl
3 Glimpse of Death
4 Taker of Lives

Las Vegas Girl is a
Lynda Kelly
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Now, I am giving this 5 stars this time because, even though it still isn't perfectly presented, there is a noticeable improvement with her editing process and I enjoy this series so much and thus far I've downloaded them all for free. So it's the very least I can do in return. I hope this isn't the last in this series as well. I have the Baxter & Holt series downloaded, too but haven't tried one of those as yet. Then I'll also need to get round to the Hoffman series. Her stories are always ...more
Shannie
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-obsession
Another great book! Shocked me bout the killer.
Eric J. Gates
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘Taker of Lives’ is the first of Leslie Wolfe’s novels that I’ve read; it won’t be the last. To try to sum it up in a few words by labelling it as a procedural crime novel with a difference would not really be doing it justice. Yes, it is about a single-minded FBI profiler’s hunt for a serial killer; yes, it features a strong female protagonist; yes, she’s backed up by a couple of male cops who bring their experience and unique way of doing things to the hunt. It is all this and more. Much more. ...more
David
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was a good read. I was compelled to use all my spare time reading this until I finished it. It is a good detective story. I learned a lot that I did not know about profiling techniques by law enforcement agencies, the internet, and about statistics relating to various types of crimes and various types of criminals and about those who are attracted to vicariously participating in crimes. The book is not "literature" but it is well written and edited in the sense that I did not find a si ...more
Alfred J. Coscia
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
An Excellent Story

NO SPOILERS EVER FROM MY REVIEWS

I would have happily given this book five stars, however I figured out a major plot point quite early on. Others may or may not figure it out, but that aside I found this novel to be excellent for many reasons. It immediately grabbed my attention, and held it due to the nature of the many virtues of this offering by Leslie Wolfe.

There are a multitude of psychological and philosophical layers to be plucked like gems from the earth. The story is ti
Julie Howard
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and this series. Leslie Wofle is a talented author and like her other books I read this book in a day, as I didn't want to put it down.

In this day and age with social media and celebrities famous for just being famous, it is scary how easy it is for things to be manipulated or corrupted. In this book Special Agent Tess Winnett tags along on a suicide case. Its not long before something is telling her it needs to be looked into more and not to just write of as a tragic
Heather
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another thrilling read by Leslie Wolfe, who is fast becoming one of my favourite authors, and I'm not a big crime fan! I have thoroughly enjoyed following Special Agent Tess Winnett and her team as they hunt down merciless killers and, I must say, I did not suspect the killer at all in Taker of Lives. This unsub was cold, intelligent, ruthless and tech savvy. I enjoyed the fact that this was a cybercrime and relied heavily on the dark web - scary!

I loved how the author provided different points
Pisces51
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
TAKER OF LIVES By Leslie Wolfe
MY REVIEW TWO STARS **

This recent release is currently a Number 1 Bestseller in Mystery Series on AMAZON on today's date 6-5-18.

I finished reading TAKER OF LIVES a few nights ago. This fourth installment of Leslie Wolfe's series featuring FBI Agent Tess Winnett was pre-ordered because I have been an avid fan since the outstanding debut novel THE WATSON GIRL.

Winnett was victimized by a sadistic sexual predator 12 years prior to the events that are unfolding in book
Keri
May 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
What in the world?

What in the world did I just read????? I have enjoyed other books by the same author but this book was just silly, contrived, unrealistic, unbelievable, inaccurate, all over the place, etc. I do not recommend this book.
Píaras Cíonnaoíth
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great mystery, thriller and suspense by bestselling author Leslie Wolfe!

Bestselling author Leslie Wolfe weaves another great mystery, thriller and suspense, with intriguing twists and turns that will easily captivate the reader’s attention from the beginning. The author paints a gripping and mesmerizing detective story in a very vivid and convincing way. In addition, the characters are drawn with great credibility and conviction. It’s a fast-paced novel that will keep you engaged from th
Cath
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This thriller starts with a simple apparent suicide of a young model. Special Agent Tess Winnet of the FBI is out running with a friend, when he gets a call to the scene. She tags along and sees something the police don’t. There is no evidence left behind of a crime. The house has been broken into in the middle of the night and something bad took place. We later find out evidence of what took place during this event and what it was that drove the model to suicide.

The UNSUB has left no evidence a
Velvet Messer
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Despite the fact that it took me a little while to get into book - I even had to take a break from it - it was still a good book. If you've read other Leslie Wolfe's books then you know you are in for a treat. It was so good to see Tess and the gang again. I love them all even though I didn't like Tess too much in the very beginning of this series. Her character growth has been excellent. However she seemed to forget that she had a team of people working as hard as she was but didn't really take ...more
Judi
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tess Winlett is a special Agent for the FBI. I read the first in this series and really loved it. But, again, we meet Tess..She is a profiler and a good one. She is going on with her life with the FBI. But, today she is going against a serial killer that keeps bringing up bad memories for her that happened in her life when she was teenager.

Tess in hunting for the "Taker of Life". He is a serial killer but his first victim, he didn't kill. She committed suicide. This serial killer seems to know a
Ellen White
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Christina. a nightmare, so real, was it from low blood sugar, not eating enough, she was twenty four, the last edge of being a wanted model.
To take a shower and notice the uneven buttons, the nightmare was real.
Special Agent Tess.and Detective Fradella, a friend, who was a friend or what ever she allowed him to be. Gets a call, a suicide they say, full bottles of pills, this person wanted to die. High end security, engaged,doesn’t add up to suicide, Tess feels. The parents finally tell her, what
Tatiana Lammers
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
If I was not so busy with my work, I'd keep reading this book in one sitting. This is another great page turner in Tess Winnet's series, but it could be rad as a stand-alone. This novels and fast paced psycological thriller with some strong characters (good and bad) and some pretty amazing insight into the FBI and police work they do to catch the climinals.
I especially enjoeyd the after work scenes that showed the characters ot of their work environment. Wish there were more scenes with Cat in t
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
I absolutely LOVED this book! I really enjoyed the story and it was very interesting, exciting and definitely kept me on my toes.

The character were created very well. They were really detailed and the author still managed to leave a lot to the imagination, making it very easier to feel a part of the story, yet still feel as though I was looking for the answers. I liked that, as it made the book a real page-turner.

Overall, this book was written very well. It was brilliant at keeping the story m
Tam
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this fourth installment, FBI Special Agent Tess Winnett is hot on the heels of a serial killer while still trying to outrun the bad memories and secrets of her past. This case, and this unsub, is unlike any Tess has come up against, and she gets more and more frustrated as body after body is found. The race is on to save the final victim, before she turns up dead as well, and the killer disappears without a trace forever.

WOW! Wolfe has done it, again! She really knows how to bring the pulse-p
Becky Baldridge
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Taker of Lives is part police procedural and part inside the mind of a killer. We do get a few clues to the killer's identity along the way, and I had it figured out fairly early, but that didn't diminish my enjoyment of the story. Figuring out the killer is only half the fun as we get a close-up look at how Special Agent Tess Winnett works the case and the lengths she'll go to stop The Taker. There is a good bit of internet and dark web discussion, but most things are explained well enough for ...more
Donna
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I hadn't read the book before listening to this audiobook, but this made no difference as it's such an excellent story, brilliantly narrated by Andrew Tell, that it swept me up and kept me entranced from beginning to end. So much so, I've listened to it three times so far and am already listening to it again! I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes murder-mysteries and psychological thrillers, and I can't wait to read (and listen to!) more books in the series!
NB I received a complimenta
David Taylor
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Leslie Wolfe's latest thriller follows FBI Profiler Tess Winnett over a two day period as she and detectives Fradella and Michowsky track a serial killer. Leslie's storytelling skills left me feeling that I was on a ride along with these three investigators and deeply engaged in the hunt for this serial killer, and at times I could swear I was on a very violent rollercoaster ride with no end to the twists and turns.
If you like books that grab you and don't let go until you have read that final p
Teresa Peters
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another interesting Tess Winnett case

Another interesting serial killer twist. Allowing the reader a chance to understand the motive of the killer albeit no matter how illogical it may be. It was easy to figure out the whodunnit tho I was leaning towards a member of the team briefly.

Not sure where we are being lead by interaction between two of the characters. Hoping that I am wrong with my theory. If I am right I may be reading further in this series even though I find Tess most appealing.
Lori Shankle
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a stand alone but you can feel the continuation in the story.
I fell in love with Tess Winnet in book 1. I received the audio version of this book as an ARC and to be read the book is wonderful but to listen to it makes the characters come alive. It was like watching a movie in my mind. I would definitely recommend this book and audio book to anyone who is a fan of Leslie Wolfe or who loves a great mystery story!

I received this audio book as an ARC and voluntarily give this review a
Leona
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good serial killer book. I have absolutely no idea how the dark web or much of technology works so I didn't find myself saying stuff I sometimes say when I'm reading these types of books: "That can't happen!" "Are you serious?" "Really? You expect me to believe this?" I just went with the flow and enjoyed the author's writing style. Looking forward to reading other books by this author.
Francie J
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DO NOT MISS THIS SERIES

OUTSTANDING! I have read 3 books in the Tess Winnett series, and all are wonderful. Taker of Lives ( obviously read them out of order) is so far the best; it's basically the perfect book. It's character-driven and has a fast moving plot, and has a generous amount of psychological and real crime info. Yes, all these factors flow (seemingly) effortlessly through the pages. Wolfe scores an A+ for the serial killer series. DO NOT MISS THEM!
Quanita
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Murder by Internet

Another winner by Wolfe. First there are dirty pictures causing a model to commit suicide, than more dirty pictures of a singer - again to cause permanent harm to the individual. As the FBI steps in the pictures progress to live streaming of murders. This story follows the art of profiling when the "unsub " is truly unique in style and invisibility. The unsub is a real surprise.
Judith  Wong
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fame is such a fleeting, fickle entity!

What does being in the limelight do for the recipient? Who garners attention and why? Agent Tess Winnett and her colleagues in the Palm Beach Detectives office, Mickowsky and Fradella, are tasked with finding the person who targets young, beautiful and "famous" women and kills not only their bodies but their entire identities. One he'll of a twisting and enlightening ride!!
Arthur Okun
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
thank you Leslie Wolfe. A mystery that I coudnot put down. And a fantastic ending that surprised the hell out of me.
The cast is great and fun. Tess is someone you have to Admire——Fradella who watches Tess’s
Back as well as front——andMichawsky...who ads brain as well as brawn —-A look at celebs with
A new look..A, okun
Kathi Bond
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
FBI agent Tess Winnert takes these crimes personal.

When someone is willing to do anything to become famous. Becoming a serial killer
is not out of the question. Savvy FBI agent Tess Winnert will go to all means to stop them. Choosing only notable or famous people the killer puts his work on the Dark Web for fans to see in real time.
  • Ruthless (Nomad Outlaws Trilogy, #1)
  • The Songs of You and Me
  • The Marriage Pact (Loving an Aldridge, #1)
  • Tempted by the Viscount (A Shadows and Silk Novel)
  • The Night Human Hunter (Hunter Trilogy #1)
  • Love Unexpected (The Saunders Family Saga #1)
  • White Bone (Risk Agent, #4)
  • Narcosis Room
  • Forgotten (The Deception Game, #2)
  • Persephane Pendrake and the Cimaruta
  • Proper Attire
  • Dream World (Dream Waters #2)
  • Shenanigans (Shenanigans, #1)
  • Miss Wilton's Waltz
  • Rhapsody and Rebellion (Enduring Legacy #7)
  • Someday my Witch Will Come (Wicked Society, #2)
  • Unorthodox Chemistry (The Unorthodox Trilogy #2)
  • Take a Chance on Me (MyHeartChannel Romance)

Special Agent Tess Winnett (4 books)
  • Dawn Girl (Special Agent Tess Winnett, #1)
  • The Watson Girl (Special Agent Tess Winnett, #2)
  • Glimpse Of Death (Special Agent Tess Winnett, #3)
“when you decide to suspend all cognitive processes inside your head and follow these shallow creatures like sheep, bleating happily all the way to the slaughter of rational thought. Some socialite uses Pink Shadow lipstick; now millions of girls rush to buy it, as if that lipstick could change one’s destiny, could shift an unseen railroad switch and take a life destined for mediocrity into much coveted stardom, all for $5.98 plus tax.” 0 likes
“Is this the Taker of Lives we’re talking about?” came a question from the far side of the room.” 0 likes