Start by marking “Birthday Girl” as Want to Read:
Birthday Girl

Birthday Girl

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  33,274 ratings  ·  4,236 reviews
From New York Times Bestselling author Penelope Douglas comes a new forbidden love story...

JORDAN
He took me in when I had nowhere else to go.

He doesn't use me, hurt me, or forget about me. He doesn't treat me like I'm nothing, take me for granted, or make me feel unsafe.

Published April 15th 2018 by Penelope Douglas LLC

To ask other readers questions about Birthday Girl, please sign up.
Michael There is no cheating by the two principal characters. In fact, neither of the two principal characters (the central romance of the book) have ever che…moreThere is no cheating by the two principal characters. In fact, neither of the two principal characters (the central romance of the book) have ever cheated on anyone they've dated (neither have ever been married).

This is a fun book. I guess you would call it a "cut above" romance novel. There is no doubt it's fantasy - because the way the main characters are thrown together (and stay together for the romance to develop) simply wouldn't happen in real life. However, their attraction, and the way it grows, is realistic. In fact, it's kind of a primer on how disparate people can form attractions and fan the flames thereof.

I've only read a few "romance novels" so I'm not speaking from a supremely informed position here, but the ones I read have the romance develop very quickly. Within the first couple chapters, it's game on. In this book, Douglas goes for the slow burn and the payoff is suitably intense. Folks looking for the quick fix will probably think it's all happening too slowly. The way it develops - particularly in the minds of the two characters - is very realistic and paints an accurate portrait of how attraction can grow in that secret place we hide from the outside world.

Pike (the "older man" love interest), in particular illustrates how to pursue a woman and make her feel special. He helps with the chores, builds her a garden, works on her car, buys her a birthday cake, remembers little things that are important to her, makes her feel safe, never makes her feel lesser when other women are present, listens well (most of the time) and is constantly giving her something to look forward to (which should be the goal of any man in a relationship, IMHO).

Jordan, the protagonist of the story, basically gives a clinic on how to attract and seduce an older man (besides just looking hot in a seashell bikini, although that definitely helps). Nothing escapes her awareness of all things Pike. She quickly sees how vacant his home is of those things that reflect our life and interests - the things that we collect in living a life worth having. Jordan susses out the truth about his character, although his own son (and her former boyfriend... yeah, it's complicated) has been completely bamboozled by his calculating mother. Perhaps (at least to me) one of the most powerful ways she shows how much she cares for him is how genuinely interested she is in his work. She probes him on several occasions about the business he owns and operates (a small construction company). She visits his jobsite and has a wonderful perspective on what he does, "You must be so proud to build things you get to see every day... Places where people will spend their lives and earn their livelihoods". Plus, when rain threatens one of his construction sites, she pitches in to help protect it and does so joyously, despite the fact there is genuine risk she could be hurt and gets drenched in the process (which provides a wonderful opportunity for Jordan's t-shirt to mold to her flawless, teen body).

Anyway, I guess I gave a review in addition to answering the question, but there you go.

PS (Just teasing now, but couldn't resist). You asked if "there's cheating on the book", rather than if there is cheating "in" the book. So, to be completely accurate, there is no cheating "on" the book, unless you stopped reading it and read another book when you should be reading this one. So, only you can truly answer your own question. Just be loyal, read this book cover-to-cover without putting it down and reading another romantic book, and you will remain suitably monogamous. ;-) (less)
Tina She mentioned in the acknowledgements for Birthday Girl that Danni would be getting her own book in 2019 titled Motel, and that the man with 5 sisters…moreShe mentioned in the acknowledgements for Birthday Girl that Danni would be getting her own book in 2019 titled Motel, and that the man with 5 sisters would play a part. On her website, under FAQ, she says this:

When is Motel releasing?
I will most likely shoot for 2021. After Falls Boys, tentatively.(less)

·  33,274 ratings  ·  4,236 reviews

Start your review of Birthday Girl
Penelope Douglas
Mar 26, 2018 marked it as finished-writing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
🔥NOW LIVE!!🔥 Summer is here early!!

"My boyfriend and I just moved to a new place. But now he's not the man of the house anymore."

FREE with Kindle Unlimited!!
Amazon US---> https://amzn.to/2EQwjKk
Amazon CA---> https://amzn.to/2JQedvr
Amazon UK---> https://amzn.to/2vkEQ8z
Amazon AUS---> https://amzn.to/2H5Hfty

Paperback ---> https://amzn.to/2HF5Hia
Add to your TBR ---> https://bit.ly/2Gp74DE
Pinterest Storyboard ----> https://bit.ly/2pDTnHj

*BIRTHDAY GIRL is a stand-alone, contemporary romance suitable f
Christy
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-five-stars
5 stars!

description

Birthday Girl by Penelope Douglas blew me away! Once I read the synopsis for this book, I knew it would be one that I would drop everything to read. And I did. I stayed up till 4 am reading this book the night it landed on my kindle. I wanted to slow down and enjoy the story, but I had to know what would happen. I could not put it down. This book was straight up addicting and I loved every minute!

Jordan is a strong and independent woman. She may be only nineteen, but she’s a hard work
CristiinaReads❀
➳A forbidden fruit, a romance filled with angst, and the struggle of battling your inner thoughts of the forbidden and desires, making your craving enhance more and more for Pike and Jordan...

➳There are truly no other novels that can utterly compare to anything that is by Penelope Douglas. To me, sometimes I find it hard to believe that once I finish a book by Pen I think to myself "let's google, 'books similar to Penelope Douglas'" but nothing ever seems to come up because every search I ma
chan ☆
"You ever going to tell me what you wish for?"
"It's bad luck to tell...
But I will say, I always wish for the same thing, and everyday it comes true."

holy mother of sweet sweet taboo. this was so damn excellent.

reading the synopsis (kinky and fucked up) and seeing the author (devour every book she writes) i knew i had to have this. and in true chandler-reading-p-doug fashion, i finished this in a day.

the story follows jordan and her relationship with her bf's dad, pike. it sounds totally ridicu
Melanie
“Whatever the birthday girl wants”

Friends, I really wanted to love this, and I still enjoyed it! Penelope Douglas is the queen of writing enemies to lovers. I am obsessed with Corrupt, Bully, and Punk 57! So, when I heard she was releasing a new taboo standalone, I knew I couldn’t resist one-click buying! But… dare I say? This book wasn't taboo enough for me. It read just like a normal romance, where the characters have a big age difference.

Jordan is a nineteen-year-old girl who com
❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MY REVIEW can also be found on my blog:
KITTY KATS CRAZY ABOUT BOOKS

I'm not even going to write up my review how I normally would, just go in blind, enjoy, love like I did, this surpassed all my expectations, it easily went from a 5 star to jumping onto my favourite shelf of 2018. And that alone should tell you how much I loved this book. Get ready to swoon because swoon you will!! Pike crash landed into my heart the very first chapter and he's still there even after
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
5 STARS

You make my heart pound so hard it hurts, Jordan. You, your mouth, and who you are, it all makes me want to touch you. It makes me not want to stop this.”

When I saw that Penelope Douglas was coming out with a surprise release, I didn't even blink before adding the book. When I read the blurb, I think a small part of me cringed, while a bigger part of it was screaming GIMME!! See, I love a forbidden romance. But there's something about the whole father thing that just gives me
Chelsea Humphrey
This was perfection... Well, for me anyway. 💖 Exactly what I needed right now, and going onto the favorites list.
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
LIVE! | AMZ US | AMZ UK |

LOOKIE LOOKIE!

Stand-alone.
LIVE! | AMZ US | AMZ UK |
Blurb:
JORDAN
He took me in when I had nowhere else to go.
He doesn’t use me, hurt me, or forget about me. He doesn’t treat me like I’m nothing, take me for granted, or make me feel unsafe.
He remembers me, laughs with me, and looks at me. He listens to me, protects me, and sees me. I can feel his eyes on me over the breakfast table, and my heart pumps so hard when I hear him pull in the driveway after work.
I have to sto
Dana Ilie
3.4 Stars.

Birthday Girl is a must read for all forbidden romance lovers and those who enjoy their taboo stories. I know without a shadow of a doubt that this is one story I will never forget.
The book is good, the story interesting, but the gap age was to much for me....
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Holy mother of smut 😳🤤 this was pretty nasty and I’m About It. My main complaint is that it took forever for them to actually get together but once they did it was on like donkey kong and I was a BIG FAN.
preoccupiedbybooks
I've been putting off this review because quite a few of my friends on here love this! Apologies to those of you who did love this, please don't be offended, different tastes and all that.....
description
I didn't really like this one that much...not necessarily because of the age gap; my parents have almost 9 years between them, but because of the maturity of the characters, and their suitability for each other. I just didn't find it a believable relationship.
I didn't like Jordan. She was meant to be portra
Warda
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-fell-in-love
[4.5 ⭐️]

There’s something about forbidden romances/taboo topics that tests and pushes and makes you questions your original stances on it, whatever they may have been, and from whatever preconceived notions they may have originated from.

Birthday Girl was that novel for me. I thought I would be uncomfortable reading it, because really, who would want to get themselves into a predicament where they develop feelings for their boyfriends father? It’s not even something you think about. (I hope…)

I l
• Jodi Bibliophile •
(Please note that this review contains curse words. If you don't like the F word then please don't read on).

photo 30738325_10160389370625473_8605629772594151424_n.jpg

HOLY SHIT! Someone please come and hold me while I cry! Why does it have to be over??!!

It’s been 2 hours since I finished Birthday Girl by Penelope Douglas and I don’t quite know what to do with myself.

Normally when I’ve finished a book I’m so quick to write up a review but with this one I’m lost for words. I feel like I’ve just said goodbye to a loved one and I’m really fucking sad,
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
LIVE AMAZON https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C7N5CBS/...

THIS IS A MUST READ!!! Go get it!!

⭐️5 AMAZING STARS ⭐️

I freaking loved it, I couldn’t put it down!It was so good and this goes immediately to my top favorite books for 2018!Penelope Douglas did an amazing job, she delivers an addictive story with amazing characters and a heavy romance!

description

The chemistry between Pike and Jordan was something else .They were intense,passionate,sensual and super hot!!They were perfect for each other!Their romance has
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Reread update — October 22, 2019:
Yep, still just 3 stars. I could even probably justify lowering it to 2.5. It's an addicting read the second time around, too, but I think I liked Pike even less this time (he's so aggressive and controlling and slut-shaming, WTF). I also feel like a hugely unpopular opinion-holder when I say that, after rereading this, I don't think Penelope Douglas is very good at writing steamy scenes at all. Sorry. *shrug*

“Time passes by you like a bullet,” he says, “and
Sabrina
IT'S LIVE!!!

If you ever need the definition of sexual tension, read this book. Pike and Jordan had me cursing them with the best kinds of insults as I read and waited to finally see them give in to their chemistry. I really enjoyed that it was almost like a slow-burn type of connection they had and then when they finally did give in it was an explosion of all kids of smexiness.

This book completely blew my mind with how amazing it was. In all honesty, I was a little nervo
Jan
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear… Let me grab a metal shield!

Commercial Photography

I am so disappointing, people! This is not going to sound nice but it's my most sincere opinion.
Cutting to the chase:

.) The angst factor I was expecting from this was completely missing.
.) At some point I felt it was dragging out as I had a feeling I read this typical story line before, (good girl from trashy caravan park, drunk father and stepmother, striptease job offers, slutty sister and so on).
.) I found the characters development flat and the chemi
Shabby  -BookBistroBlog
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With the Booklandia filled with forbidden "Daddy" books, this book comes as a breath of fresh air.
We need lies to survive sometimes, because the truth hurts too much.
But this is one of the most truthful stories I've read this year!
Emotions are zipping around speedily as particles in an atomic field of sexual tension and pulsating passion. A small touch, a heated stare, makes your hair stand on end. Highly charged story, the electricity just buzzing through the pages and words that keep you s
Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

“Birthday wishes don’t always come true, so I don’t waste a chance when I blow out a candle.”

Penelope Douglas is right up there as one of those one click authors for me. Chances are, if I’ve read one her stories then it has utterly consumed me and I’ve loved every minute of it. As good as her past books have been, Birthday Girl is my favorite book of hers thus far. It really knocked me off my feet, captivated me and I became addicted almost instantly by Penelope’s signature flawless
Melanie (mells_view)
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“You don’t have a clue what to do with me, do you?”

Age gap. Taboo trope: falling for your boyfriend’s dad. A heroine who is young, but knows what she wants out of life and is working her butt off to get there. A hero who is a bit stagnant, but is sparked to life by our heroine. A love story that you think will be illicit, and surface, but turns out to be so deep and emotional, that you’re left tearing up and smiling and turned on all at the same time.

Penelope Douglas took what can sometimes be
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DNF @ 12%

I don't know what it is about this author. I keep forgetting how much I disliked her books until I pick up the next one. The premises always sound amazing and usually the beginnings are fine, but as soon as the love interest appears, the whole story just falls apart and becomes a hot mess.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't expecting anything highbrow about a smutty erotica novel where the girlfriend of this loser ends up falling for
Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
✪✪✪✪✪
This book made me finally come to terms that older men are one of my weaknesses in romance books.

“You look at each other like…”
“Like?”
He swallows, an unusually troubled pinch to his brow. “Like the two of you have your own language.”

💬
I bet everyone is shaken by me giving 5 stars to a Penelope Douglas work. I was so hesitant to pick this book up, I even restricted myself when it came out because all the previous books by this author that I have read have been a disappointment full of p
Gabby
More like a 4.5

Holy fuck I loved this book aklsjdlakjsa. This is my first book from Penelope Douglas and I wan't expecting to love this as much as I did. This is a forbidden romance story that follows a nineteen-year-old girl named Jordan. She is at the movie theater alone on her birthday when she meets this sexy older guy named Pike, and they have a ton of chemistry right from the beginning. Shortly after though, she finds out Pike is her boyfriend Cole's Father. Pike is 38 years old and he had
EmBibliophile
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
5 stars

"Hit the ground running.”

You know what? I’m gonna give this 5 stars.

This book is just....Uggghhh, I can’t!

I hesitated a lot before starting this book. I admit, I didn’t think that I’d love it as much as I did. I just felt like I’m gonna be so uncomfortable or i’ll be like “Eww. Really. Her boyfriend’s father?” I’m also always wary going into an age gap romance because they tend to disappoint me when they’re not done well. So, this book felt like a huge risk, but man I was wrong! It wasn’t
melissa ☽
reread (2020): 5 stars

— still hate Cole more than i hate Joffrey and Ramsay combined.
— karma is literally the queen here since Jordan dated Cole's dad. best accidental revenge ever.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
original rating (2018):
5 STARS

This book was a page-turner for me! I literally could not stop reading because I was so hooked, even from the beginning. Whenever Penelope Douglas comes out with a new novel, I’m always so excited to read it because she writes such intriguing sto
Arena♡

It’s 1 a.m here and I should be sleeping but I couldn’t let it go without writing a review so forgive me if i get a little carried away

So, I’ll admit that I was very hesitant to start this book *cough* understatement *cough* but I wanted to read something different, and this one definitely topped the pile. But I am so glad I decided to pick it up cause I was HOOKED from the very first page! I didn’t even know as time flew by and the idiotic smile never vanished from my face! except when two
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
It's live!! https://amzn.to/2qDcZv0

I DEVOURED this book. I was reading up until 2 am and picked it right back up as soon as I woke up, because I couldn't put it down. I was absolutely hooked onto Jordan and Pike's forbidden romance. It's perfectly sexy, angsty, fun, and I'll admit, the emotions were coming across so strongly I even teared up a time or two. I fell in love with these two characters and how much they wanted but couldn't have each other. The chemistry is ON FIRE. I honestly never wa
Sabrina
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: almost-favorites
I'm trash for good romances books, no surprise there.
I love forbidden slow-burn romances with good writing and relatable characters.

“You ever going to tell me what you wish for?” I ask.
“It’s bad luck to tell. But I will say, I always wish for the same thing, and every day it comes true.”

The chemistry was out of the charges with this characters.
I adore it that it had both POV, it wouldn't have been the same without it. It made the story so much more interesting because you know that both char

• Torn (All Torn Up, #1)
  • Welcome to the Dark Side (The Fallen Men, #2)
  • Misbehaved
  • Voyeur (Voyeur, #1)
  • Vicious (Sinners of Saint, #1)
  • The Unrequited
  • Sweet Temptation
  • Scandalous (Sinners of Saint, #3)
  • Medicine Man
  • The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
  • Angry God (All Saints High, #3)
  • Dear Ava
  • Unconditional
  • Pretty Reckless (All Saints High, #1)
  • The Hunter (Boston Belles, #1)
  • The Kiss Thief
  • Bad Habit (Bad Love, #1)
  • The Truth about Tomorrow
Penelope Douglas is a New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal bestselling author. Her books have been translated into fifteen languages and include The Fall Away Series, The Devil’s Night Series, and the stand-alones, Misconduct, Punk 57, Birthday Girl, and Credence,. Please look for Tryst Six Venom and Motel, as well as the Hellbent series, coming next.

She lives in Las Vegas with her

Articles featuring this book

Looking for the perfect reading match? Here to help you find your happily ever after this summer are some of the biggest and...
“Time passes by you like a bullet,” he says, “and fear gives you the excuses you’re craving to not do the things you know you should. Don’t doubt yourself, don’t second-guess, don’t let fear hold you back, don’t be lazy, and don’t base your decisions on how happy it will make others. Just go for it, okay?” 50 likes
“I want a life I never want to take a vacation from.” 39 likes