Start by marking “Death In Vermilion” as Want to Read:
Death In Vermilion

Death In Vermilion

A psychological thriller about murder among friends and enemies. Who do you trust?

Artist Leila Goodfriend is laying down the bones of a painting. When she’s interrupted by Iris, the noisy, unlikeable artist in the studio upstairs, Leila is distracted and annoyed.

When Leila discovers the racket was actually Iris' dead body hitting the floor, she becomes obsessed: Who murder
Published April 16th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Death In Vermilion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death In Vermilion

Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
Death in Vermilion is the kind of read that is deliciously saturated with details. Every scene was painted vividly in my mind and I really appreciated the attention to details from the art perspective. Not being an artist, there were many places in this story where I could have been completely lost, or I would have missed a nuance because I am not familiar with the world of art, but the author did an amazing job of giving me all the details that someone as ignorant as I am needed. Also, it was d ...more
ansel
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy reading a good who-done-it
I learned a lot about Artists and painting techniques reading Death In Vermillion. Barbara painted a story with intrigue and suspense as her main character Leila is drawn into solving a fellow artist’s death in a small Cape Cod town. Leila discovers that she really doesn’t know her friends as well as she thought as the entire Red Barn Cooperative is under investigation for Iris’s death.

Barbara did a wonderful job fleshing out each character with very distinct personalities and characteristics.
Mary
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good read and the first in a series. I found it to be well-written with intriguing characters and clever dialogue. Looking forward to more. I received a copy from NetGalley and this is my honest opinion.
Dawn
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2018
This was my first time reading anything from this author, and I will say that this is an excellent first book. This book is a fascinating murder mystery that allowed us to get to know all the characters around the lead. With the main character finding the murder victim within the first chapter of the book, it allowed the story to get on the way quickly.

I always enjoy books that allow the readers to get to know the murder victim and this book gave us that. Though Iris is painted with an unlikable
Robyn
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This a good book with interesting characters. There is a group of artist who paint in at the Red Barn recently there had been items missing from all of their individual rooms. Then one of them is murdered and Leila finds the body. There are lots of suspects and motives to go around. There is also an art history lessons thrown which I enjoyed learning. From the point Leila finds the body her life becomes pubic with everyone wondering if she did it.
Ria
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found Death in Vermilion to be an intriguing story. Leila’s obsession with finding out who murdered Iris leads her to suspect all of the other artists who work at the Red Barn so, as a reader, you feel as vulnerable as Leila, not knowing who to trust. Sections of the book are sinister, and there is also some humour thrown in to lighten the mood. There were some unexpected twists, and although I had a suspicion of what was coming, there were a lot of red herrings to throw me off, so I wasn’t to ...more
Bev
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-read, own-it
Leila is trying to paint when she hears a noise in the apartment above her. This disrupts her painting mode, so she goes to check out what is going on. She finds Iris laying on the floor...dead! Murdered no less! Who would do such a thing? This is a very original story with some very strange characters. The plot keeps changing to where your not sure who killed Iris and why. Very good story.
Jessica Rachow
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved Death in Vermilion. Barbara Elle’s ability to paint vivid pictures with her words. Her attention to detail with an art perspective was something to really admire.

I loved the characters, each with their own distinct personality and charm. The dialogue always moving the plot forward. There was some humor mixed in, which I always appreciate. While this story was a murder mystery, I think much of it was about character relationships. It was very character driven, and I love novels
Shannon Kant
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As an avid reader of a vast genre of books, I highly recommend Death in Vermilion.

The writing is extremely captivating and kept me reading page after page until the mystery was revealed. There was enigma, romance, humor, as well as a special, unexpected twist all within 273 pages.

With some intense conversations among the characters, as well as a slight, witty comical aspect, Death in Vermilion kept throwing twists and turns into my suspense of what happened to Iris.

I finished this mystery in tw
Aisha-Kimberly Hashmi
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This seems to be the first book for the author and nothing but praise from me. There were twists and turns that I totally did not see coming g and found the book intrigued me. Eleventh thumbs up.
Cath
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book plays about with the relationships of a group of so called friends who work in the Red Barn Co-operative for local artists. Leila is one of these artists that spends her spare time, of which she seems to have a lot, in the Red Barn, working on her paintings. She has a studio on the first floor and has only one person up in the attic above her – Iris. Someone that makes a lot of racket, stomping about and leaving Leila frustrated on many an occasion. Iris is also really opinionated and ...more
Sue
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-challenge
All that artist Leila Goodfriend wanted was a little peace and quiet so that she could work on her painting. Instead, fellow artist Iris was up in her studio making enough noise to wake the dead. How could one woman make such a racket? Leila did the only thing she could think of, turn up NPR and try to block everything out. What Leila didn’t realize is that while she drowned out all the upstairs ruckus, poor Iris was being murdered.

Now all of the Red Barn Cooperative artists are under suspicion
T Olsen
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fairly standard mystery, well written and with a good plot. Too much dead meat for my taste, but all in all an OK read.
RABT Book Tours and PR
May 16, 2018
Barbara Elle
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Cyber
Gretchen
Aug 20, 2018
Devanshi Bayanwala
Aug 29, 2018
Goodreads Reviewe...: Reviews request for debut mystery 2 14 May 13, 2018 07:34AM
In her stunning debut thriller, author Barbara Elle paints a clever and twisted picture of women and sisters, whose lives are entwined by a brutal murder in a Cape Cod town. Death In Vermilion asks: Who can you trust?

After falling love with books and writing at a young age, she honed her writing chops as a copywriter at Macmillan, Doubleday Books and other publishers. Working as a freelance journa