Start by marking “An Anonymous Girl” as Want to Read:
An Anonymous Girl

An Anonymous Girl

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  32,682 ratings  ·  6,283 reviews
The next novel of psychological suspense and obsession from the authors of the blockbuster bestseller The Wife Between Us.

When Jessica Farris signs up for a psychology study conducted by the mysterious Dr. Shields, she thinks all she’ll have to do is answe
Published January 8th 2019 by St. Martin's Press
Featured Notes & Highlights
Greer
Greer - author, wife, runner, dog lover
Sarah Pekkanen
Sarah Pekkanen - author, journalist, mom, adventurer

To ask other readers questions about An Anonymous Girl, please sign up.
Mary This is a book I am certain that I would not enjoy if I were reading it. I'm listening and it is amazing. The two voices added dimension to the…moreThis is a book I am certain that I would not enjoy if I were reading it. I'm listening and it is amazing. The two voices added dimension to the characters. For me, some books are made to be read, others to be listened to.

(less)

·  32,682 ratings  ·  6,283 reviews

Melissa
Twisted. Intense. Deviously fun. Why was it that I skipped this co-author's debut?

This writing duo—composed of Sarah Pekkanen and Greer Hendricks—wields some kind of power with their combined words. That elusive “it” factor present, allowing readers to succumb all too easily to the manipulation. It’s the very experience I hope for each and every time I pick up a book—realistic or not. Life effortlessly fading into the background as the intensity and promise for something truly twisted takes ov
Deanna
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

I really enjoyed Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen’s previous novel “The Wife Between Us”. So as soon as I saw the cover for this novel and read the synopsis, I knew I just had to read it.

I devoured this novel in just a few hours, ignoring everything and everyone as I read.

The book opens as twenty-eight-year-old makeup artist; Jessica Farris is heading to her last appointment of the day. She travels to her clients inste
Chelsea Humphrey
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: from-publisher
Happy Pub Day!

You're Invited: Seeking women aged 18-32 to participate in a study on ethics and morality conducted by a preeminent NYC psychiatrist. Generous compensation. Anonymity guaranteed. Call for more details.

Ok, so you know how every year there are books that come out of the gate hyped up? I'm talking a full calendar year before publication, these books are already being shoved in our faces and by the time they come out we are underwhelmed and sick to our stomachs of seeing said book flo
j e w e l s
FIVE STARS
IMG-4488
I don’t know their secret, but whatever it is (SUPREME TALENT), authors Pekkanen and Hendricks need to bottle up their magic Mojo and spread it like fairy dust over readers around the world. Their ingenious writing technique is guaranteed to pull you up by the bootstraps - out of any debilitating reading slump you may occasionally find yourself in. Believe the hype. It is real. The dynamic duo is currently hard at work on a sure-to-be third mega hit-- 🙏PRAISE YEEZUS!

This is what you n
شيماء ✨
You ever reading a book and thinking, “why was this so expensive? I’m not even having a good time”? Me, the whole time reading this.
Emma Giordano
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I really enjoyed this book! Deceptive, creepy, and unsettling.

CW: sexual assault, suicide, death

I devoured An Anonymous Girl. This book was so easy to engage with. I really enjoyed that the book is actually told in two perspectives; One in first person, one in second. This element really added to the creepy factor of the novel, as it’s almost disturbing to think of someone’s internal monologue constantly being geared towards the actions and thoughts of another character without their knowledge.
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
4.5 compulsive, page turning stars ⭐ for An Anonymous Girl

I must start off by simply saying I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I'm a fan of cat & mouse type thrillers and this played right into that captivating me from the start and never letting go!

"In every lifetime, there are pivot points that shape and eventually cement one's path."

Jessica is a make-up artist, living in NY, struggling to make ends meet. While working on a client she hears about a morality and ethics research study that p
Holly  B
Loved it! Devoured it!
Devious to the max!

I devoured this book in two days and didn't want to put it down! A riveting story of psychological suspense.  I was quickly questioning every move every character made. From beginning to end, I was all in! Yes!

With a promise of anonymity and a fat paycheck, Jessica weasels her way into a study on morality and ethics. She was assigned the name of Subject 52 and presented with numerous questions.  I could feel her tension growing as the questions progres
megs_bookrack
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read

WOW!
First book of 2019 on record and WOW, I loved it!

An Anonymous Girl follows two main perspectives:

Jessica: Single, late-20s, living in NYC and working as a freelance make-up artist. Jessica lives a fairly solitary life. She has a sweet little dog and a couple of close friends but most of the time, she's alone.

A bit haunted by her past due to an incident that occurred with her little sister, from which she has a lot of residual guilt. Due to this incident, she sometimes finds it painful to
Liz
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley

Wow! Five big stars. For once, the hype and buzz are deserved.

Remember the rules: Be open and truthful, and avoid pivoting away from any embarrassment or pain these questions provoke.

This book grabbed me from the get go. A twenty eight year old woman sneaks herself into an ethics and morality study in order to earn some extra income. I was able to immediately put myself in her shoes. The initial questions had me wondering how I would answer.

The chapters alternate between the woman and the doct
Meredith
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Completely unbelievable, yet totally enjoyable!

A psychological study on morality turns into a game of cat and mouse. Who will come out on top? The subject of the study or the doctor who is playing much more than a game.

That’s all I am going to say about the plot. It’s best to go into this blind.

I didn’t love The Wife Between Us due to the number of twists and some other elements. I decided to go into An Anonymous Girl with an open mind. I knew this was going to be over-the-top, but I decided to
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
5 mind blowing stars! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Did you ever have a book you saved, even though you got a copy really, really early, because you knew it would be good? I didn’t want An Anonymous Girl to be over long before I ever started reading it. The year-long wait until another book from this dynamite duo feels longer than a year! That’s a great thing in this case; these two authors are perfection together.

The Wife Between Us by these Hendricks and Pekkanen is my favorite thriller of 2018, and An Anonymous
Felicia
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
"Seeking women ages 18–32 to participate in a study on ethics and morality. Generous compensation. Anonymity guaranteed."

The plot for this story is incredibly original and is what initially piqued my interest in this book. But that's where it ends for me. I already know that I'll be in the minority with my opinions as this book will no doubt appeal to the masses.

Told in two points of view, that of Dr Shields, the alluring, manipulative therapist conducting a survey on ethics and morality, and Je
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

Jessica Farris takes a friend's place in a psychology study of morals and ethics ran by Dr. Shields, since she needs extra cash. She thinks it will be easy money and that all she has to do is answer a few questions. But the questions become more and more intense.

She begins to feel that Dr. Shields may know what she is thinking and what she is hiding. Jessica becomes constantly concerned and fearful and doesn t know what she can trust. She is fearful that her life could be in jeopardy.
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4 stars! A gripping and thrilling page-turner!

Struggling to make her rent payments, Jessica Farris, finds herself involved in a well-paying psychology study revolving around ethics and morality. The compensation is too good to pass up. Upon attending the first study meeting and completing the initial questionnaire, Jess is offered the opportunity to proceed further into the depths of the examination with the mysterious Dr. Shields. Tension builds as Jess begins to feel paranoia and anxiety about
Susanne  Strong
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
4 Stars.

Completely Intriguing and Totally Unexpected!

Jessica is a makeup artist in New York City. After hearing about a paid ethics and morality case study, Jessica jumps at the chance to participate even going so far as to take a spot from a client of hers, who canceled last minute. Is it a choice Jessica will live to regret?

Jessica is Subject 52. As a part of the study, questions are posed at a computer terminal: “Could you tell a lie without feeling guilt?”; “Describe a time in your life wh
Matthew
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matthew by: Bmquiram
Another entry in the "Books with 'Girl' in the title" series. These books are usually hit or miss for me. Luckily, An Anonymous Girl was closer to the hit side of things.

I thought the book took a creative approach to its twisty mystery. As these books are becoming so commonplace, it is becoming easier to predict the shocks. And, even if there is still a bit of a surprise, it can be easy to say,"Ho hum, that twist was like . . . .". With this book, however - and I will avoid saying too much so as
Elyse Walters
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LONG....but NO SPOILERS......

Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen are on their way to becoming co-author psychological thriller legends. They had a break-out sensation hit with “The Wife Between Us”, last year in 2017.
“An Anonymous Girl”, will be released in January, 2019.

Greer and Sarah are an exciting team. There is something very appealing about two skillful stunning women holding us captive - as awed spectators -waiting to see who we can trust - who to believe- who’s the stalker -and who’s t
Larry H
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'm between 4 and 4.5 stars.

The next time you consider signing up for a research study, you might want to think twice—and you will after reading this book!

You're Invited: Seeking women aged 18 to 32 to participate in a study on ethics and morality conducted by a preeminent NYC psychiatrist. Generous compensation. Anonymity guaranteed. Call for more details.

Jess is a makeup artist who came to New York dreaming of a career in the theater. She has a lot of secrets she's kept hidden, which has led h
Kaceey
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
Ooh! So addictive! You will not be able to put this one down!

Moral choices. No definitive right or wrong, a grey area that’s never that simple. Choices we make everyday. Choices that effect not only ourselves but everyone around us.

Jessica is a struggling make-up artist in New York City. When a chance opportunity for quick cash falls in her lap she just can’t refuse!
She fibs (just a little bit) to be included in a University psychology study. Simple enough - answer a few questions and receive s
Berit☀️✨
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whoop!They did it again!!! Even better than the first book this writing dual wrote together!💥

An intense twisty story that will make your head spin and your heart race! A book that made me check behind me just in case somebody creepy was watching! An absolute must read my psychological thriller loving friends, the hype is real!

Jess is a struggling makeup artist trying to find her way in NYC... in need of money she fakes her way into a psychological research project... The research soon begins to
Paromjit
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having really enjoyed reading The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen, their talent is confirmed here with this hugely intense, compelling and addictive An Anonymous Girl, which moves in a rather different direction. This is a story set in New York City, of deception, betrayal, obsession, jealousy, where we are given two different protagonists, the naive and vulnerable 28 year old Jessica Farris and the clinical and detached psychiatrist Dr Lydia Shields, an academic at NYU. Je ...more
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dark, captivating, and twisted–nobody pulls off a psychological thriller quite like the amazing duo, Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen!

I just finished their newest thriller An Anonymous Girl and I’m shocked and delighted by this twisty novel! This book is SERIOUSLY twisted, in the best possible way. Without question this is one of my favorite psychological thrillers I’ve read–and I don’t just mean this year!

Full review is now on PhDiva!

Reflection

This is one fun ride, and if I may say, a ride th
Linda
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's more than a little treacherous to steer your ship with a broken moral compass. Navigating through the raging waters of life leaves many a shipwreck in the aftermath.

Jessica Farris knows this first hand. She's a twenty-eight year old makeup artist still trying to find her niche in New York City. She struggles to pay the rent on her studio apartment and her bookings from BuzzBeauty are hit or miss. Finding extra money to send home to her parents and special needs sister is coming up short eac
Tammy
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn’t care for The Wife Between Us it was too over the top for me but given the hootin’ and hollerin’ about An Anonymous Girl I decided to give it a go. I did, in fact, like this much more than the authors’ previous novel but I couldn’t shake the feeling that I’ve read this before. Finally, I decided that my sense of déjà vu had to do with the power psychologists and psychiatrists wield over those held in their thrall which surfaces frequently in thrillers. The interesting part of this thrill ...more
Kendall
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Happy pub day!!!!

HOLY GUCAMOLE! This was SOOOO unbelievably devious and good! I devoured this book in a day and a half.

This was my first read by Hendricks/Pekkanen and WOW I can definitely see why everyone strongly recommends their novels. Talk about jaw on floor supreme talent her ladies and gents!! I was very impressed by this book and it's about DAMN time that I was able to get an excellent thriller!

Watch out.... this is going to be THE thriller of 2019. No if's, and's or but's to that stat
Norma * Traveling Sister
Riveting, absolutely unputdownable & totally mind-blowing stuff!

This was an absolutely fantastic psychological thriller novel that I devoured in less than 24 hrs. This books unique storyline immediately drew me in and had me on the edge of my seat for the entirety of reading this book. The pacing and short chapters made this an extremely fast read.

AN ANONYMOUS GIRL by GREER HENDRICKS AND SARAH PEKKANEN is a compelling, thrilling, twisted, and rapid-paced read that was so darn entertaining a
Brandice
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Anonymous Girl was a twisted, suspenseful story that bordered on unbelievable, yet was still a fun read!

Jessica, a young makeup artist in New York City, sneaks into a morality study at NYU, enticed by the promise of a large payment for participation. Jessica agrees to take part in a special project following the initial study. She is promised additional large payments for her participation. Jessica is instantly drawn to Dr. Shields, who she will be working for in the special study. Dr. Shield
Carol (Bookaria)
I picked up this novel because I enjoyed the authors’ previous book THE WIFE BETWEEN US, and as soon as I learned about it, I became interested in reading it.

What if you sign up to be part of a psychological study and you end up entangled in a lot more than you asked for? That is the premise of the book, and let me tell you, it does not disappoint.

“One of them is lying. But who?” This is the question you’ll be asking yourself again and again as you read it.

The novel is addictive and suspenseful
Carol
4.5 Stars!

"Not everyone is brave enough to face their demons."

I really like an author who can spin a twisted tale and Greer/Pekkanen do it again in AN ANONYMOUS GIRL.

28 year old Jessica is a hardworking makeup artist who could use a few extra bucks to help her family back home....and pay her rent, so when she sees what seems to be an easy opportunity to make a fast $500 just by answering a few questions, she sneaks into a highly confidential morality and ethics survey that turns her life int

Cookie Jar Book Club: Part 3 2 3 Apr 12, 2019 06:56PM
Cookie Jar Book Club: Part 2 2 2 Apr 10, 2019 12:08PM
Cookie Jar Book Club: Part 1 1 2 Apr 05, 2019 12:43PM
BillyNBob'sBookClub: Book Discussion 7 11 Apr 03, 2019 08:09PM
Around the Year i...: An Anonymous Girl, by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen 3 28 Mar 30, 2019 03:20PM
Crime, Mysteries ...: Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks (No Spoilers) - March 2019 8 39 Mar 29, 2019 07:30AM
Play Book Tag: An Anonymous Girl 3 15 Mar 28, 2019 08:29AM
  • Before She Knew Him
  • The Night Olivia Fell
  • Untitled
  • For Better and Worse
  • The Turn of the Key
  • Lock Every Door
  • The Suspect (Kate Waters, #3)
  • I Know Who You Are
  • The Winter Sister
  • As Long as We Both Shall Live
  • My Lovely Wife
  • Freefall
  • The Au Pair
  • The Hiding Place
  • I'll Never Tell
  • Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)
  • No Exit
  • Forget You Know Me
Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen are the co-authors of the blockbuster New York Times bestseller, THE WIFE BETWEEN US, as well as the forthcoming, AN ANONYMOUS GIRL. AN ANONYMOUS GIRL has been optioned for a television series by eOne, with Sarah and Greer executive producing. THE WIFE BETWEEN US has been optioned for film by Amblin Entertainment, with Sarah and Greer screenwriting the adaptation ...more
“We all have reasons for our judgments, even if those reasons are so deeply buried we don’t recognize them ourselves.” 8 likes
“One of them is lying. But who?” 5 likes