Start by marking “The Coming Storm: A Pulse-Pounding Thriller” as Want to Read:
The Coming Storm: A Pulse-Pounding Thriller

The Coming Storm: A Pulse-Pounding Thriller

America is on the brink of collapse, devastated by a brutal government trying to silence its citizens, in the next action-packed thriller from Mark Alpert.

New York City, 2023: Rising seas and superstorms have ravaged the land. Food and electricity are scarce. A dangerous Washington regime has terrorized the city, forcing the most vulnerable and defenseless people into the
Published January 8th 2019 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Coming Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming Storm

Carrie
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Coming Storm by Mark Alpert is an apocalyptic science fiction thriller that takes place in the near future. With a combination of natural disasters and science experiments go wrong the story is filled with action from start to finish.

The story starts in New York City in 2023 as soldiers have come to detain Dr. Jenna Khan forcing their way in and abusing her family. Jenna is a geneticist and she knows what the government have been up to with  altering the DNA sequence and trying to produce t
Juli
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
In 2023, New York City is a dangerous place to be. Superstorms, dangerous floods caused by rising sea levels, and violent squads of soldiers threaten the public daily. Dr Jenna Khan, a geneticist, knows the situation is even more dangerous than most realize. The soldiers are genetically enhanced humans, stronger and more violent than anyone ever imagined. Now the very government that started the experiments into genetic enhancement want to cover it up while they continue their plans to alter hum ...more
Michael Hicks
My review of The Coming Storm can be found High Fever Books.

Mark Alpert is a new-to-me author, so I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect from The Coming Storm. I struggled with it initially, particularly as Alpert set up some of his central characters and their circumstances. You’ve got your lovely leading lady, Jenna Khan, on the run from insane government operatives who have targeted her for unknown reasons. Cue up the genetically modified rogue soldier, Powell, who kidnaps her in order to rescu
Ray Palen
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read my review on Bookreporter.com this Friday!
Amy Rogers
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ScienceThrillers review: I've been a Mark Alpert fan for years because of the cutting-edge science and technology he puts at the heart of his page-turning thriller novels. While there has often been a tinge of social and political commentary in his books, in THE COMING STORM Alpert goes all-in with a political backdrop, fusing a disturbing near-future US government and a nefarious science-based plot by that government to wield its power.

THE COMING STORM begins with a frighteningly realistic, and
Carrie
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
Great science and lots of action. Certainly a political bent, but I enjoyed that aspect. (Readers should know that given the many chapters from the antagonists' POV, there are several derogatory references to immigrants and women.)

Reading about DNA manipulation is always fascinating, at least to me. Let's just hope in this case it's not also prescient!
Jypsy
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
The premise of The Coming Storm is nothing new. Still, I decided to give it a try. It's an engaging story about the end of the world in a way that is not hard to imagine. It's also too political for my taste. The underlying political climate is obvious, and the story would have been better without it. In the end, I can say that the characters were likeable and engaging, but I didn't enjoy this one. Overall, an okay read. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
James Rollins has a blurb that stands out on the front cover of Mark Alpert's latest thriller, THE COMING STORM: "Terrifyingly plausible... Read this now --- before it's literally too late." Ironically, the last two books I have read for review are Rollins' CRUCIBLE, which depicts an end-of-the-world scenario based on the emergence of artificial intelligence that will eventually eradicate all of mankind, and this one, which shows a very near future that predicts what the current political warfar ...more
Diane Hernandez
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
In the near future, the Coming Storm is not just the latest superstorm to hit the East Coast but also a reaction to the federal government’s over-the-top response to immigrants.

In 2023, the United States is fighting a war at home. Poor, mostly immigrant neighborhoods in New York City have been made into cages enforced with barbed wire fences and armed sentry towers run by the federal paramilitary group, FSU.

In the meantime, larger and larger storms have hit the city flooding it up to second stor
Joan
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
In the near-future, New York City faces rising seas, superstorms, depleted food supplies, and a lack of electricity. Defenseless citizens are at the mercy of fierce, genetically-enhanced soldiers with a wide streak of cruel.
Genetic scientist Jenna Khan escapes arrest and joins forces with a rogue soldier and a gang leader in hopes of thwarting the government’s detestable plan to manipulate DNA and transform humanity.

This disappointing end-of-humanity apocalyptic tale can’t decide if it wants t
Linda
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The one thing about this book is there is rampant vilifying of one political party (Democratic/Republican) over another. With reference to global warming and hidden scientific experiments and even the using of a slogan beginning with "Make America" I still kept reading as the premise of the story worked for me. What would we do if there was a secret government lab working on something that could change a person's DNA to make him either non-combative or a killing machine? It helped that the autho ...more
Veronica
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed most of this book - at least the possible part and then it became weird and highly improbable. With the advances of genetic engineering beginning, the basic concept for this novel are very possible and the sudden turn in the plot made the story become a horror movie. The characters are so so and the plot moves quite quickly and does keep one interested. But the ending??? Not sure I'd read the sequel if there is one.
Christa Maurice
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Pros: Fast paced and hard to put down.

Cons: Cartoonish villains and clunky writing.

I'd have given it 4 stars but the end went off of this wildly woowoo direction that appears to be the set up for the next book in the series which I won't be reading.
Marylouise Dreibelbis
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure
Where oh where have all the editors gone? The main idea behind the novel is the dangers of weaponizing gene therapy. I found myself scanning a lot, the story would start to drag then the author thought of a new twist.
Nancy
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
A bit of a rehash of current global warming predictions, police brutality, immigration problems and bioengineering. Yah it’s alot to cover at once. Could easily be the start of a long series.
Jay Scherder
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
A little too predictable and cliche. It was an okay read. Not bad. Not great.
Eileen
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Political thriller/post-apocalyptic - a mix of both - and it definitely had some unexpected political jabs within the book.
Grayham Forsythe-Fields
Pacy - yes. Genetics screws up the world, again. NYC is the centre of the world, again. I do hope genetic modification never becomes this easy and fast! Holiday read.
Debbie Braskey
May 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
One of those books that I kept waiting for it to get good.
Janet
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The Coming Storm takes some of today's most pressing headlines/issues and amplifies them. This book includes global warming, genetic manipulation, immigration, cultural differences, and nationalism. It's a definite roller coaster and it was hard to find a stopping point to rest. The characters are layered and complex, the pacing, as mentioned, is fast. At times I thought that the story became overwhelming, and I believe, from the unresolved issues at the end, there will be a sequel or series. A ...more
Garry
Feb 01, 2019
Tijanailich
Jan 28, 2019
Abbey Sherman
rated it did not like it
Apr 17, 2019
Richard
Jan 22, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Mark Alpert, author of Final Theory, The Omega Theory, Extinction, The Furies, and The Six, is a contributing editor at Scientific American. In his long journalism career he has specialized in explaining scientific ideas to readers, simplifying esoteric concepts such as extra dimensions and parallel universes. And now, in his novels, Alpert weaves cutting-edge science into high-energy thrillers th ...more