Start by marking “The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)

The Gilded Wolves

(The Gilded Wolves #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  37,159 ratings  ·  8,841 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Roshani Chokshi comes a novel set in Paris during a time of extraordinary change--one that is full of mystery, decadence, and dangerous desires...

It's 1889. The city is on the cusp of industry and power, and the Exposition Universelle has breathed new life into the streets and dredged up ancient secrets. Here, no one keeps tabs on dar
Published January 15th 2019 by Wednesday Books
Featured Notes & Highlights

The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberA Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
YA Novels of 2019
873 books — 3,154 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoNinth House by Leigh BardugoThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonChildren of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,472 books — 3,681 voters

More lists with this book...

·  37,159 ratings  ·  8,841 reviews

Start your review of The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
Emily May
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
History is a myth shaped by the tongues of conquerors.
- From the Author's Note

Well. Chokshi has really stepped up her game with this book. It's like Six of Crows mixed with the best bits of a Dan Brown book. In short, it's full of friendship, scheming, and lots of puzzles to solve.

I began reading The Gilded Wolves with some trepidation. My multiple attempts to read the author's past work led to me complaining about a disconnect with her flowery, poetic writing style. In this book, the descrip
chai ♡
This book is over and all I’m left with is a fucked-up sleep schedule and 100 more crushes on fictional characters that I don’t have time for.

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Was I confused reading this book a majority of the time? YES. Did I still love it? YES. Why did I still love it? THE CHARACTERS. WOULD DIE FOR THEM. THEY DESERVE THE WORLD. I LOVE THEM. AMEN.
 Teodora
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

As always, I have a mean confession to make: I started this book because of the pretty cover.

The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi is, what we call in Romanian, a struțocămilă. That means the book is an ostrichcamel.

JK. It means it is a weird mixture of things – a hybrid, if you want me not to me so plastic in expression. I can’t seem to remember the word in English to express the same energy the word struțocămilă has, but I know that ther
Melanie

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

“Sometimes the only way to take down what had destroyed you was to disguise yourself as part of it.”

Most of you know that Roshani Chokshi is one of my favorite authors. I loved both The Star-Touched Queen & A Crown of Wishes with my whole heart and soul! So, I knew when she was writing a brand-new series, about a found family completing heists and solving puzzles, that I wouldn’t be able to resist once I got
Sabaa Tahir
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read the first chapter of Gilded Wolves and was like "ok, I need to clear like 2 days because once I start this, I won't be able to put it down." AND SO IT WAS. Roshani perfectly balances the stories of Severin, Laila, Zofia, Enrique and Tristan, taking us on an unrelenting adventure through and alternative Paris filled with magic and intrigue and power-hungry families.

And the descriptions of food! And clothes! The fight scenes! The romance! I felt like I was living in this world, and am sort
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
DNF @ pg. 37
UPDATE: I decided I'm just going to straight up DNF this. I didn't get very far but I just don't think this is a book for me. I think the concept is so cool but unfortunately the writing style didn't mesh with me.

I got about 40 pages into this and just felt very confused, especially since I've heard such rave reviews. I'm not DNFing, I'm just going to try again next month because I don't think this will help me to get out of my reading slump right now!

jessica
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is serving some major ‘six of crows’ meets ‘the da vinci code' realness and i had no idea that was something i needed in my life until now.

gosh, with a story this good, where do i even begin? the massive cast of diverse and interesting characters who have each made their way into my small heart? the intricate and highly thought-out plot that constantly delivers twists and turns at every corner? the effortless and gorgeous writing which paints a historically stunning world filled with
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Here we freaking go again. Once more the Conductor of Crushed Dreams and Disappointment™ has seen fit to kick me off the YA Hype Train. Most of my friends were singing this book's praises, and I was like, "Oh boy, a book about sexy heists with diverse main characters." And then what happens? WHAT HAPPENS? I pick it up, enjoy the first chapter, and then immediately lose interest as soon as the narrative seeps into something that I call Ba
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”The world has a shit memory. It will never pay its debts unless you force its hand.”

Ahh! Where to start? Where to begin? Maybe I should just go for blunt honesty and say it like it is: I could bite myself for not reading this sooner!!! What was I even thinking to procrastinate for so long? This book was already on "My Book List 2019" and it took me until 2020 to read it. (Which is actually sort of typical me! *lol*) Still, if we stick to honesty I’ve to admit that I’m kind of torn about having
✨    jami   ✨
He thought of the stories he'd heard growing up about the underworld. The tale of Orpheus, who looked behind him and lost everything. He wouldn't be that. He would descend and ascend, and lose nothing but a handful of time.

reread September 2020: I love them so much your honour

I. AM. DEAD.

Friends, I have no words to describe how much I loved this book. (But also? I have too many words please scream with me??) This was such a fun historical fantasy, and I ADORED the cast. You know when you j
✨ Helena ✨
Apparently, this is the first in a TRILOGY! YAY!

I really loved this! (Even though the ending broke me!)

This book was pretty confusing at times, in regards to the world building, but the character development, and their relationships with one another, were where the book truly shined. My absolute favourite characters were Zofia, Hypnos, and Tristan...which definitely attributed to me not enjoying the ending (and you know what I’m referring to, if you’ve read it).

Honestly, for all the Six of Crow
Elle (ellexamines)
Everywhere he looked, he was surrounded by gilded wolves. And for whatever reason it made him feel perfectly at home. Wolves were everywhere. In politics, in thrones, in beds. They cut their teeth on history and grew fat on war. Not that Séverin was complaining. It was just that, like other wolves, he wanted his share.

I have a story. I guess. In mid-2016, I read this book called Six Of Crows, a frequent comp to this book. I had just started a Goodreads account at this point and wrote
Era ➴
I will never get over this book.

“People die for symbols. People have hope because of symbols. They're not just lines. They're histories, cultures, traditions, given shape.”

This killed me. I mean it really killed me. It dragged me kicking and screaming into the catacombs of overwhelming beauty and precious, amazing characters.

Kidding. I went willingly because I was promised chocolate-covered strawberries.

But then I was ripped to shreds, so that was fun.

“Scars sculpted people into who they were.
Maryam Rz.
(4.5 ★’s)

Wolves were everywhere. In politics, on thrones, in beds. They cut their teeth on history and grew fat on war. Not that Séverin was complaining. It was just that, like other wolves, he wanted his share.

If Six of Crows and The Da Vinci Code dallied and ended up with a love child that was more poetic than both of them, The Gilded Wolves would be it. Unpopular opinion coming your way.

Quiet but alluring, elegant but genius, character-driven but wildly mysterious. This slow and d
;3
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, fantasy
zofia: im lesbian
enrique: i thought u were polish
destiny ♡ howling libraries
The setting is Paris, 1889, and the world is a strange and industrious place, run by Forgers and curators of fantastical items. Séverin is a treasure-hunter with a crew, and he’s looking to find the item he needs to be reinstated in his rightful place, to receive the inheritance taken unfairly from him—but the item will come at a cost, and he and his team will need to overcome many obstacles to retrieve it.

I’d been meaning to read Roshani Chokshi’s work for quite some time, and when I heard
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is mostly introduced as Six of Crows meets Da Vinci Code, which is enough for me to jump in and start my reading quest! But they forget the team members, their characterization and leadership of Severin reminded me of the series “Leverage” so much! (Especially Severin and Laila’s shared past and their undeniable chemistry are similar with Nathan and Sophie’s relationship. I watched just for Coupling’s amazing Gina Bellman)

I have to admit I had a little hard time to focus on the story b
Chelsea Humphrey
"If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell."-Virgil

Hello friends, and let me welcome you to my review of my favorite fantasy novel of the year.... err of 2019? Whichever way you look at it, The Gilded Wolves is the type of read where after turning the final page your jaw hits the floor, and then days later, when you've semi-recovered, it's all you want to talk about with anyone you come in contact with. My husband is sick and tired of me bringing it up over and over, constantly trying to work t
Hamad
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“Half of winning, my dear wallet, is simply looking victorious.”

🌟 This was one of my most anticipated books for the year and given how much I love Six of Crows, I thought I would love this one! My problem is that I wanted something as awesome as SoC and not another milder copy of that book.

🌟 I have been searching and asking and reading reviews since I started this and it looks readers are divided into two groups; one
Charmel
The Gilded Wolves was so enthralling. It has; heists, found-family, freaking awesome lovable characters, genius plot, unique world-building, and an ending that will leave you staring into the void.

Okay, so first of all let me gush about Enrique. Who doesn't love his sarcasm, right? and he's half-Filipino and half-Spanish and I'm Filipino and asdfghjksks. Excuse muah as I fangirl and obsess over him because clearly, he's now on top of my book-boyfriends list.

“If you’re furious, let
Robin
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
↠ 4.5 stars

There are absolutely no words I can find that broadly encompass how I feel about this book. A part of it has staked out a place within my heart to claim forever as its own. Roshani Chokshi is masterful, crafting a story so lyrical and full of power, it grabs a hold of something deep inside us all. A search for knowledge that will never quite be sated, or perhaps how the nature of secrets is for them to be unearthed.

The world within The Gilded Wolves is one that is rich in history. Set
Sofia
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book broke me and put me back together. Then broke me again.
I demand compensation for my (emotional) injuries.
Amy
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hello! 2021 Amy here to just update this review, as its still getting likes 2 years later!

I haven’t reread this book or anything, and I still don’t really like it. BUT since writing this review there has been plenty of nuanced discussions about comparing books written by POC to books written by white authors with similar plot lines. I surely do that in this review.

I think the comparison is still warranted, not because of the heist plot line—as Leigh Bardugo obviously does not own nor did she in
Renée Ahdieh
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS. BOOK.

it's rare for me to find a book whose world i wish to inhabit. THE GILDED WOLVES is just that kind of novel. everything about it leaps off the page, from the carefully constructed narrative to the wonderful cast of characters, spanning across the globe, from all walks of life. truly this is one of the most richly diverse books i've ever read.

roshani has written one of my favorite YAs of 2019. it's a delight for all the senses.
Zainab
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
So good. So precious. So beautiful.

description

If you are wondering, yes, it is like Six of Crows with The Da Vinci Code and National Treasure sprinkled on top ( I bet you were wondering exactly that)

I loved this. A lot.

Here's a brief description of the characters:

Severin: The only similarity between him and Kaz is that they're both thieves and well the "leader" of the group. Severin is very VERY caring and he also laughs a lot(?) but he isn't as smart as Kaz. I still love him though.

Laila She dances a lo
Layla
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
~ 3.5 stars~

Can't say it necessarily fully lived up to my expectations, but I did have an overall good time.

~ here are the things that stopped me from rating it higher ~

• It took way too long for me to get into it. When I was reading it, I was really interested and immersed, but when I wasn't, I forgot that I even needed to finish it. Kind of a weird phenomenon, that I'm not quite sure of the reason for.

• The entire time I felt a certain confusion especially regarding the world-building, and wh
Felicia
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'll preface this review by addressing the giant literary elephant in the room. Yes, the comparisons to A Six of Crows are legitimate and at times startling. However, there is a huge difference between the two books. A Six of Crows is leagues ahead of this book in the enjoyment factor. Now that that's out of the way, I'm going to review this book on it's own merits with no further comparisons to other books.

This story is said to be set in Paris in 1889, however, the world conjured up by the auth
Tara ☽
Have you ever gone into a book fully expecting it to be a new favourite, but slowly, as you're actually reading it, a slow sense of terrible dread begins to creep over you as you start to realise that...you're not actually enjoying it?

It's like if you were arranging to meet up with somebody that you thought was a beloved old friend, and you have this lightness in your heart at the exciting thought of seeing them. But then, as you're approaching the meeting place, the figure waiting for you looks
Kiki
Jun 22, 2018 added it
I started reading this about a month ago - on audiobook, no less, so it’s not as if I even had the burden of turning pages - but it was so dry and jumbled that I put it down and forgot about it.

Today, intent on my homely Sunday ritual of cleaning the house for the coming week, I tuned back in to the audiobook. Mere minutes passed before I said out loud, “You know what? No,” and turned it off. It’s official: the towel has been thrown in.

I listened to so little of this that I don’t think I can r

• These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • Our Violent Ends (These Violent Delights, #2)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • The Atlas Six (The Atlas, #1)
  • Rule of Wolves (King of Scars, #2)
  • We Free the Stars (Sands of Arawiya, #2)
  • King of Scars (King of Scars, #1)
  • Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
  • Six Crimson Cranes (Six Crimson Cranes, #1)
  • Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns (Sorcery of Thorns, #1)
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2)
  • The Everlasting Rose (The Belles, #2)
  • The Devil's Thief (The Last Magician, #2)
  • An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
  • The Girl King (The Girl King, #1)
  • On the Come Up
See top shelves…
Roshani Chokshi is the author of commercial and critically acclaimed books for middle grade and young adult readers that draws on world mythology and folklore. Her work has been nominated for the Locus and Nebula awards, and has frequently appeared on Best of The Year lists from Barnes and Noble, Forbes, Buzzfeed and more. Her New York Times bestselling series includes The Star-Touched Queen duolo ...more

The Gilded Wolves (3 books)
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • The Bronzed Beasts (The Gilded Wolves, #3)

Articles featuring this book

While it’s hard to truly quantify what catches on in the realm of pop culture, it’s often fun to try. Looking forward is basically...
“Make yourself a myth and live within it, so that you belong to no one but yourself.” 173 likes
“History is a myth shaped by the tongues of conquerors.” 143 likes