Start by marking “Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries” as Want to Read:

What do James Bond and Lipitor have in common? What can we learn about human nature and world history from a glass of water?

In Loonshots, physicist and entrepreneur Safi Bahcall reveals a surprising new way of thinking about the mysteries of group behavior that challenges everything we thought we knew about nurturing radical breakthroughs.

Drawing on the science of phase tr
Published March 19th 2019 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Loonshots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loonshots

Start your review of Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
Mehrsa
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I guess this is the new "disruption" book (even though he articulates the differences quite convincingly). Bahcall posits a theory of loonshots using a few emblamatic examples (actually the same ones everyone uses). This is sort of my fundamental problem with these sorts of books--they cherrypick data and then try to come up with grand theories based on a few successes. It's not super rigorous or scientific. This one gets extra points though because there are a lot of interesting tangents and fu ...more
Heidi The Reader
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
"New frontiers of the mind are before us, and if they are pioneered with the same vision, boldness, and drive with which we have waged this war we can create fuller and more fruitful employment and a fuller and more fruitful life." — Franklin Delano Roosevelt pg 257

Safi Bahcall has applied a physics-based approach to understanding innovations and creativity in group settings. Through the careful study of a bunch of historical examples, he has discovered ways leaders can structure their businesse
Peter Tillman
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cool and very readable account of technical history, innovation, and project management. I liked the author’s breezy, conversational style. He opens with Vannevar Bush just before WW2, starting a predecessor to DARPA, which wasn’t a big favorite of the prewar US military. But he had FDR’s support (via Harry Hopkins). The first significant deployment was microwave radar — the British had longwave radar since the 1930s, and that was a big help in winning the Battle of Britain. But microwaves had ...more
Dolly
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Loonshots is a thought-provoking blend of history, physics, and business which seeks to explain group decision-making about "loonshots". I am a social scientist so the idea of thinking about group behavior through the lens of phase transitions (think ice to water or water to ice) was fascinating to me. The real-world examples ranging from WWII to cancer research were interesting and I found the author's personal stories most compelling of all.
Ali
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, science
You would imagine that the first time someone presented the idea of using a beam to detect ships and airplanes, or a drug to reduce cholesterol, or a drug to kill tumors by choking their blood supply, there would be wild jubilation welcoming such a world-shaking breakthrough.
Aaaand you would be wrong. The folks who came up with such well-duh-obviously useful innovations as radar, statins and anti-angiogenesis drugs were rejected, and again, and again, for between 12 and 32 years.

Loonshots are “
Daniele
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
I’ll be controversial and go against the reviews written by Siddhartha Mukherjee and Daniel Kahneman, two authors whom I respect tremendously, who extol Safi Bahcall’s Loonshots on the front cover of the book.

While I did learn some interesting stories regarding the development of drugs, companies, inventions and other innovations, this book felt like it was everywhere and nowhere. It felt to me like the book lacked a strong focus, and was more of a loose collection of random stories that the aut
Ryan
Apr 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Safi Bahcall's Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas that Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries is glossy non-fiction about loonshots, which refers to a "neglected project, widely dismissed, its champion written off as unhinged." Given that the point of the book is to create loonshot nurseries, I view this definition as self-defeating.

I basically understand loonshots as big swings whose benefit is counter intuitive but which pay off in the long run. Loonshots can be products or t
Howard
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a dynamite book. brilliantly written. good ideas. safi bahcall is a great story teller, and these tales are well worth telling.
Venky
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
One might be forgiven for nursing a genuine assumption that the most famous “Bush” surname belongs to one of two men, both of whom happened to be the Presidents of the United States of America at different intervals. Safi Bahcall, a second-generation physicist (the son of two astrophysicists) and a biotech entrepreneur might also have harboured a similar notion until the day when the Chairman of a project group constituting the then-President Barack Obama’s Council of Advisors on Science and Tec ...more
Ben Gigone
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some interesting concepts. Unique perspective tying business, science, and history together. Nice break from the traditional entrepreneurship books!
Ethan
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Was skeptical with the bombastic title at first, but this book shines as it recounts many notable inventions across industries and the multiple failures that preceded their eventual success.
Daniel
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
1. New ideas are fragile and require tremendous amount of protection all the way from the top.
2. World War 2: The German U-boats were sinking Allies ships. Radar saved the day, letting pilots find them in all weather. However the military did not like Radar, at least in its original form. Vannevar Bush got the support of President Roosevelt and Radar helped killed U-boat and made allied bombs 7 times more potent by exploding around the wanted German targets.
3. Juan Tripp founded Pan Am, made f
Anthony
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
What I love about Loonshots is how Bachall makes success seem more tangible. He doesn’t settle for a fluffy concept like culture where the amount of good culture isn’t actually measurable. He forms the magic number and theorizes ways to increase it.

What I didn’t like was when he introduced his formula without showing tangible examples of companies that have increased it and the results in numbers that followed. He merely presents an example of a company that has exhibit a good or bad quality an
Brad Lyerla
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Great anecdotes. Decently written. Little scientific rigor. The friend who gave me my copy said, “you can read a chapter or two and you’ll get the idea.” Cannot disagree.
Dan Connors
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
A very fascinating read. The opening story about the invention of radar and how it won World War 2, one which I had not heard before, was worth the read alone.
The author goes into detail about how great advances in technology, art or technology are made and how we can nurture them better. The advice is:

1- Separate the creators from the franchise and let them have some freedom. Discourage politics and encourage collaboration.
2- Create dynamic equilibrium between artists and soldiers so that commu
Daniel Erspamer
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Parts of this book were really interesting and enjoyable. During other parts, I had trouble keeping my eyes open. Generally the storytelling was good, but this was another book that likely could have been a long article - or at least a much shorter book - rather than a book and been twice as effective.

I tend to find Clayton Christensen's work more compelling than this - but I have a built-in bias against solutions that focus on structure. I appreciate Bahcall's perspective, though, and it's wor
Pierre
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book.
I thought I had read a lot about innovation, but Safi taught me a few new things about it in Loonshots. In particular, all the cases studies are excellent.
Of special note is the chapter about Dunbar number and its implication for the quality of innovation in a company. Safi even derives empirically an innovation equation from which he infers the “non-political condition”. The rationale behind the equation is actually quite compelling and innovative. Fascinating!
Henrique
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting stories and light reading to illustrate an idea that could be told in half as many pages. The takeaways are good but it starts to get repetitive towards the end. Good read.
Chia Evers
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure—I did some of the research for Loonshots, so I know the book (and the author) quite well. That said, it's a fascinating mix of history, science, technology, and organizational management (and never did I think to use the words "fascinating" and "organizational management" in the same sentence), written in a conversational style that makes complex ideas accessible, without oversimplifying.
Mark Jr.
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, audio, library-book
Don’t be so loony looking for the loonshot innovation that you forget to tend to the franchise.

Don’t let the franchise go sclerotic and nip loonshots in their precious little buds.

The basic metaphor of phase separation was useful.

One of the best of these business books. I liked the deep dives into WWII and other historical events. Not as given to oracular deliverance of platitudes.
Dave
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Loonshots was a fair book, but not overly great. The author did a poor job defining his terms, particularly the P-type definition was weakly delivered. Ultimately, the book reads like a dissertation that received encouragement from colleagues. The message was decent, just not overly well delivered.
Iliuta
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
“Loonshot: a neglected project widely dismissed, its champion written off as unhinged.”

Loonshots are fragile despite their brilliance. Brilliant ideas or projects do not survive just because they are excellent or unique. Sometimes they are ignored for minor or reckless reasons.

Safi Bahcall makes a case for protecting loonshots. In some cases, a change in the structure it's all that's needed. In other cases, changes both in the culture and in the structure are necessary. Based on a series of fa
Grant Cousineau
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Twenty-three years ago, Clayton Christensen introduced the idea of "disruptive innovation," the means in which a company becomes a market leader by introducing something truly new and highly desired into the market. Since then, it's been a premiere book in the business world, explaining how things like disk drives and mechanical excavators changed the world. It's become a frequently cited source by people like Steve Jobs and Malcolm Gladwell, as well as required reading across Silicon Valley.

Sin
Anoop Dixith
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first of the eight books I've read this year which, after completing, made me decide to buy the book to keep re-reading and as a reference! The book is that inspiring.

The author is an accomplished technologist and business executive. So, reading a book about the history of innovation and 'loonshot-ship' is like reading reading a book on the history of OS by, say, Steve Woz!

The book is brimming with real life examples of 'loonshots' (roughly, early stage and weird looking moonshots/
Pete
Mar 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries (2019) by Safi Bahcall is a curious book that describes how various long shots were rejected and then had a big impact. Bahcall has a PhD in physics and he worked for McKinsey. He has also founded biotech companies.

In the book various successful loonshots are described and the systems that were set up to develop these breakthroughs are outlined. The book has the usual problem with these books, only s
Bob
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Why this book: I listened to Tim Ferriss's interview with Safi Bahcall and liked him and what he said - it was excellent. Also this book was a pick of The Next Big Idea Club, to which I belong.

Summary in 3 Sentences: The thesis of this book is that our society only makes progress when it adopts new ideas, which are almost always resisted by those with a strong vested interest in the status quo. He provides us many fascinating and surprising historical examples to support his thesis that an organ
Emily
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: biz people and people who like Malcolm Gladwell
Recommended to Emily by: Fiction Addiction
"I'm still amazed by how often large companies compensate junior or mid-level employees on company earnings. If your project can move earnings by no more than a tiny fraction of a percent, how does a company-earnings bonus motivate you? You might as well put your energy into twiddling your thumbs and fooling your boss into thinking you are indispensable while enjoying the free ride if earnings go up."
Dan Gibson
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A little wonky at times (although I find most business books are, so I might not be the right audience), but about 2/3 of the way through, it hit an interesting rhythm with helpful (to me) insights on the construction of teams and how to encourage innovation in an organization without the lazy (sometimes ineffective) carrot of promotions. Recommended, although don't expect a super fun read. Probably 3 1/2 stars for me.
Laura Noggle
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, history, nonfiction
Interesting ... but, as can be expected by the title, hard to make it feel like a cohesive whole rather than a bunch of super random examples.

Reminded me of several of Malcolm Gladwell's books—he also has the same issue of lacking cohesiveness, although I'd say I enjoy his books more.

Not bad, not great. Solid middle of the road.
Ebi Atawodi
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thought provoking in many ways although you’re left with more questions than answers. Particularly fascinated by his ideas on how to organise a business to harvest innovations. Overall, a fun read with interesting case studies and anecdotes. You might not cure world hunger after reading this but at least you’ll know what not to do to hinder those ideas from ever seeing the light of day.

• Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • Nine Lies About Work: A Freethinking Leader’s Guide to the Real World
  • Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense
  • Upstream: The Quest to Solve Problems Before They Happen
  • That Will Never Work: The Birth of Netflix and the Amazing Life of an Idea
  • Seeing Around Corners: How to Spot Inflection Points in Business Before They Happen
  • The Future Is Faster Than You Think: How Converging Technologies Are Transforming Business, Industries, and Our Lives
  • The Innovation Stack: Building an Unbeatable Business One Crazy Idea at a Time
  • The Great Mental Models: General Thinking Concepts
  • Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We Don’t Know
  • No Hard Feelings: The Secret Power of Embracing Emotions at Work
Safi R. Bahcall is an American physicist, technologist, business executive, and author.