Start by marking “The Prairie Homestead Cookbook: Simple Recipes for Heritage Cooking in Any Kitchen” as Want to Read:

Jill Winger, creator of the award-winning blog The Prairie Homestead, introduces her debut The Prairie Homestead Cookbook, including 100+ delicious, wholesome recipes made with fresh ingredients to bring the flavors and spirit of homestead cooking to any kitchen table.

With a foreword by bestselling author Joel Salatin

The Pioneer Woman Cooks meets 100 Days of Real Food, on the Wyoming prairie./>The/>
With/>
Published April 2nd 2019 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about The Prairie Homestead Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prairie Homestead Cookbook

Start your review of The Prairie Homestead Cookbook: Simple Recipes for Heritage Cooking in Any Kitchen
Mellie Antoinette
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grab a chicken and let’s get cluckin’!!

Whatever that means?!?! 🧐🧐🧐🧐
Lisa Suit
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
I love cookbooks-I love them so much that I read them like novels! With that being said, however, it is very rare that I get a new cookbook and want to make every.single.recipe, but with Jill's new cookbook I do! It is a whole foods, cooking from scratch cookbook, minus the guilt inducing "you must be perfect, eat everything organic or else grow your own" mentality prevalent in many cookbooks of the same ilk. There is a plethora of information in the back of the book with tips and ideas to get y ...more
Jessica
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't realize when I put this book on hold at the library that Joel Salatin wrote the foreward - that's all the endorsement I need to know this is a great book! Jill Winger and her husband decided when they were first married to buy a farm in Wyoming and start homesteading. At the time Winger was learning through trial and error, but she wants to pass on the knowledge she learned, especially about cooking, on so others can benefit from what she learned. There is SO MUCH great information in t ...more
Cheryl
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
A lot of cookbooks by well known folks have a palate I will never possess. Due to a serious health issue, there is much I can no longer eat, spicy is one category I cannot touch, fresh fruit and veggies, wheat, dairy, etc. I get to the point that I crave an actual meal that doesn't require ingredients I have never heard of or being nuked. So when I saw the cookbook and flipped through the pages, I was sold. Then a couple weeks after I checked out the book, my oven motherboard died. I had, had a ...more
Beth
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Normally I suggest people pick up 'the Joy of Cooking' if they only have ONE cookbook. This book might be a better alternative in that it walks you through a lot of cooking and living concepts that make eating well a less daunting task. Even if you live in an apartment or RV and don't have room for a potted basil on a sunny windowsill, this cookbook is worth having. My absolute favorite thing about this book, is that it is a book you can read. In fact it is a Good Read.

Enjoy!
Kaitlyn Abshire
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Equal parts cookbook and information on how to live a homesteader life, this book has completely changed the way I will look at “country life.” My husband will be happy to know that I now want to move to the country with some chickens and cows in tow, while simultaneously baking homemade bread and canning pickles and the like.

4.5 out of 5 stars
Joanna
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my new favourite cookbook. Great for both the novice and experienced home cook wanting to cook from scratch. In addition to recipes the book gives lots of tips, advice, and reasons to switch to homegrown food and from scratch cooking without being preachy or condescending. Just be prepared to want a milk cow.
Linda
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yep, I read this cookbook from start to finish. I follow Jill Winger’s Prairie Homestead blog and have many favorite especially her recipes for hamburger buns, biscuits, pie crust, and pumpkin pie starting with baking an entire pie pumpkin in the oven.
Becky
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this lives on my counter in my kitchen now. her recipes are REAL food. REAL cooking with easy instructions. In this crazy world of dietary restrictions I loved this. plus we're ranchers so her lifestyle is just mine by default :)
Lindsey Flaute
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My most prized cookbook. Not only are there fantastic recipes, but a lot of information on homesteading.
Leah
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Delightful book. I want to try a lot of these recipes.
David A. Carey
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! This is sort of a Homestead Manual, written by a very passionate individual. Many really interesting sounding recipes are also in the book.
Lauren Paletta
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Awesome sounding recipes but a little too much work for me. I wish I had a farm to create some of these amazing dishes. Plus in general I wish I had a farm.
Lcharlson
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ended up purchasing this cookbook to add to my collection. It is a keeper!
Rita
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
One of those "meals from grandma" hearty books. Great section on homesteading and growing your own ingredients.
Ericka
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This cookbook is on my to buy list,I hated returning it to the library. The tomato soup recipe is my favorite I've made it a few times now and is a huge hit. I highly recommend this book
Riegs