Start by marking “Saving Meghan” as Want to Read:

Saving Meghan

Can you love someone to death?

Some would say Becky Gerard is a devoted mother and would do anything for her only child. Others claim she's obsessed and can't stop the vicious circle of finding a cure at her daughter's expense.

Fifteen-year-old Meghan has been in and out of hospitals with a plague of unexplained illnesses. But when the ailments take a sharp turn, doctors i
Expected publication: April 9th 2019 by St. Martin's Press

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 09, 2019
    Praise for Saving Meghan:
    "Mother doesn't always know best in this thrill ride of a novel...gripping and twisted." —Karin Slaughter, bestselling autho

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 2953 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 04 - Feb 17, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Saving Meghan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving Meghan

Erin Clemence
    Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: first-reads, kindle
    Special thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.

Fifteen year old Meghan has been in and out of hospitals, battling an illness that no doctor or test can detect. Her mother, Becky, has done of all of the research and talked to all of the doctors and still, Meghan continues to struggle with symptoms from an un-diagnosable disorder. As the symptoms continue and the illness remains a mystery, doubt begins to arise. M
    marilyn
    Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Becky Gerard, mother of 15 year old Meghan, is a liar and manipulator, something she learned to be as a very young child, when her mother made her lie and manipulate doctors so her mother could get disability payments. That life haunted Becky, living with a mother whose only effort was put into cheating doctors and the government for money. Now 48, Becky wants to tell her mother how she feels about the way her mom brought her up, but also wants to tell her she forgives her, even if she's not sur ...more
    Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
    This book kept me guessing until the very end... I literally thought everyone was a guilty liar at some point! I really enjoyed it, every single chapter. What an awesome suspense novel!
    Sherri Thacker
    I'm giving this book 3 stars. It kept me interested throughout till the end. I found myself skimming through parts of it because I felt like a lot of it was predictable so for that reason, I gave it the 3 stars. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this book in return for my honest review.
    megs_bookrack
    And just like that, my November reading plans are in the pot - I just received my copy in the mail! This sounds so interesting - a possible case of 'Munchausen by proxy' syndrome or is something more sinister in play. Release Date: 4/9/19

Donna Hines
    Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc, netgalley
    A devoted mom or a crazy loon?
    Becky is on the hot seat as her daughter Meghan fights for her life with a long line of unexplained illnesses.
    Could they be made up for sympathy?
    Is this a case of Munchausen syndrome by proxy, cancer, or a whole host of made up symptoms?
    Could there be more underlying issues causing this 15 yo so much pain?
    When the mom is borderline obsessed you know she's going to be examined closely and upon inspection the notion of her being mental becomes reality.
    Could she really
    Carolyn
    Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    3.5 stars. Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for an advance copy of this compelling medical drama in return for an honest review. It was certainly a 5 star read in suspense as it kept me up reading all night to learn the unexpected ending. I did have a few misgivings because I often did not like any of the characters, thought they all made too many mistakes or acted unsympathetically, and that the conclusion was overly dramatic and not enough clues to predict the outcome. Still it kept ...more
    Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A fabulous medical mystery meets family drama. I literally didn’t know who was guilty and capable of what. This book kept me guessing until the final pages.

Highly recommend.
    PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
    ***Thanks to St. Martin’s Press for providing me a complimentary copy of SAVING MEGHAN by DJ Palmer in exchange for my honest review.***

Becky and Carl’s daughter Meghan suffers from an undiagnosed medical condition, her condition rapidly deteriorating. One doctor suggests mitochondrial disease, another that Meghan’s illness is a product of Becky’s Munchhausen syndrome by proxy. Either, if untreated, might kill her.

My visceral negative reaction toward Becky, who seemed to relish the role of Mom
    Brandy
    Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Thanks for the advance copy of #SavingMeghan #StMartinsPress! This was one of the best books I've read this year. #BelieveBecky. The story was good..I didn't know who to believe at first till I finished the book. Big plot twist towards the end. I highly recommend reading this. If you enjoy a great Thriller!! Saving Meghan goes on sale April 9th. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟!! Be sure to choose your side #ProtectMeghan or #BelieveBecky
    Marj Ward
    Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    My first book by this author who is following in his late father's footsteps. A great story. A teenage girl who presents with symptoms of malaise but there is no diagnosis from doctors. There is a question whether the mother suffers from Munchausen by Proxy. Lots of twists and turns and an ending I did not see coming. Thanks to NetGalley, St. Martin's Press and the Author for allowing me to read and review this book.
    Kat
    Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    How do you begin to review a book like this that brought out so many emotions and at times had me shouting out loud at my kindle!! The story centres around Meghan and her ongoing illness, but is it an illness or Munchausen’s by proxy or even something else more sinister ? Well I found myself torn to say the least as the book progressed suspecting one thing then changing and thinking something else it was twist after twist of a story spinning me round in circles trying to figure out just what on ...more
    Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
    Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I was given this ARC through NetGalley. I have never read anything by D.J.Palmer and it sounded good. At first I wasnt thrilled because there were many incidences in a hospital, talking about medical procedures but the more I read the more I needed to know what happens.

The story is told around Meghan who is ill, or maybe not, because her mom Becky thinks she is, but her medical tests show otherwise. Along comes Dr. Fisher who thinks she has Mito - a disease his son died from. And then there are
    Johnna Whetstone
    Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book is one of those that just grabs you and doesn’t let up, until you finish. It’s not only disturbing, chilling, and thrilling, but intense and one that is hard to put down, because you must know what is going to happen! Twists and turns galore and an ending that will shock you!
    I will be highly recommending in Chapter Chatter Pub!
    Charlotte
    Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: giveaways
    I won this book through a GoodReads giveaway and I'm really glad I didn't actually but it. I was interested in this book for about the first five or so chapters. After the first few chapters things became repetitive, dull, I became bored. I felt the ending was predictable.
    Amber Welker
    Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Wow!
    I just want to say how much I loved this book!
    I was instantly hooked, I could not put it down. I ended up reading this book in under 24 hours, I just had to know what was going to happen next. The revelation in the end of the book is not what I had expected, I was totally surprised. I will definitely recommend this book to everyone I know!
    Kayo
    Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
    What a rollercoaster ride. Never saw the ending coming. If you like twist and turns then this book won't disappoint.

Thanks to author,publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free,it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
    Lisa Henderson-Farr
    Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    Thank you to St Martin's Press and NetGalley for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Saving Meghan is about a family that has already gone through tragedy and is now facing it once again.
    Meghan is a young teen that has many health concerns but the doctors just can't seem to pinpoint what exactly is wrong with her. Her young life consists of doctor's appointments and a myriad of tests all showing inconclusive evidence of anything in particular. Her health issues are begi
    Joyce
    Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Meghan is almost 16 and unwell. Her Mother has taken her from doctor to doctor to the point that Meghan goes into hysterics when she sees a needle. Her Father, who originally was hand and glove with his wife is now skeptical and resistant to her attempts at helping Meghan. When she becomes ill once again Becky, the Mother, takes her to Zach, a new doctor, who gives her a probable diagnosis. Becky agrees to also see a Gastroenterologist for a second opinion. This leads to them taking Meghan to th ...more
    Heather
    Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
    I’m finally giving up on this book. I was so excited for it, but it feels like a chore reading it.

It’s really boring, and I feel like it just goes round in circles repeating the same thing. There’s no action in the story, and the pacing is beyond slow. I don’t care about any of the characters. Becky is very annoying, and Meghan’s character has the weirdest dialogue.

I would not recommend this book unless you need to be really bored.

(Thank you to St Martin’s Press for providing me with an ARC pape
    Ashley Gallegos
    Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I loved this book! I did see the end coming from a few chapters in but there were a ton of unexpected plot twists to keep it fun! Definitely recommend! This was a great ARC!
    Leslie
    3.5 stars. Rounding up. Review to come soon.
    Melissa
    Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I enjoyed reading the ARC of this book! While many of the events related to hospital and court processes are far fetched, this book kept me intrigued and guessing throughout!
    Gina Maggard
    Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A new author for me.
    I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
    I will be reading more by D.J Palmer.
    Renee
    Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
    What could cause a healthy girl to become sick? That question is at the heart of Saving Meghan. 15-year-old Meghan now suffers from a myriad of symptoms and illnesses. Her mother Becky takes her from doctor to doctor, but no one provides a conclusive diagnosis. Becky is obsessed with getting help for Meghan, and she can be pushy, rude, argumentative, and flirty, depending on who she is dealing with in her quest to get what she wants. Carl, Becky's husband, and Meghan's father is at the end of hi ...more
    Janet
    Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Saving Meghan is a riveting new thriller full of secrets and lies from author D.J. Palmer.

Can you love someone to death?
    Some would say Becky Gerard is a devoted mother and would do anything for her only child. Others, including her husband Carl, claim she's obsessed and can't stop the vicio
    Bookworm LLC
    Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: cindy-bookshelf
    Saving Meghan is a story about what lengths a mother will go to, to save her child.
    Meghan has been mysteriously sick. Her mother has taken her to one doctor after another and has never been able to get a true diagnosis. Every test has come back as nothing and yet Meghan is still getting sick.
    Meghan's father is tired of all the tests and starts to accuse his wife of putting this illness into their daughters' head.
    Certain events happen that will make you question the mom, the dad, the doctors an
    Christine
    Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    Review to come closer to publishing date.
    Authentikate
    Saving Meghan by DJ Palmer is a story about a sick young girl and her mother who refuses to not to fight for answers for her daughter.

Meghan, a teen with inexplicable and sudden symptoms for illness is struggling. Her only true ally is her mom, Becky who doggedly peruses answers to one question: what is wrong with Meghan? Her husband, Carl, is an unreliable partner to that end, often blaming her (not subtly) for Meghan’s woes.

After an incident, Becky and Carl seek additional medical advice for
    Margaret Standafer
    Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you to St. Martin's Press for sending me an advance copy of Saving Meghan. What a fun surprise...as was the really cool bookmark that came with the book! An even better surprise was the fact that this book was wonderful. I loved it from the first page. It isn't often that I'm hooked so quickly and so completely, but in this case, I barely set the book down until I'd finished. I even missed a few Super Bowl commercials due to being lost in the story of Meghan, Becky, and Carl. And that's sa ...more
    • The Night Before
    • The Perfect Plan
    • The Lost Night
    • Keep You Close
    • The Better Sister
    • Just This Once (The Wedding Date, #3)
    • I'll Be Watching You
    • Hot Pursuit
    • The First Mistake
    • Missing Daughter
    • Call Me Evie
    Pseudonym for author Daniel Palmer

D.J. PALMER is the author of numerous critically acclaimed suspense novels, including Delirious and Desperate. After receiving his master’s degree from Boston University, he spent a decade as an e-commerce pioneer before turning his attention to writing. He lives with his wife and two children in New Hampshire.

Librarians note: There is more than one author in t