Start by marking “Dark Tribute (Eve Duncan, #24)” as Want to Read:
Dark Tribute (Eve Duncan, #24)

Dark Tribute

(Eve Duncan #24)

New York Times bestseller Iris Johansen is back with another high octane thriller that will leave your mind racing and your heart pounding.

Despite her tragic childhood, violin prodigy Cara Delaney has finally found peace in her career as a professional musician and stability in her relationship with her guardians, forensic sculptor Eve Duncan and ex-Navy SEAL Joe Quinn. I
Published March 26th 2019 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Dark Tribute, please sign up.

Start your review of Dark Tribute (Eve Duncan, #24)
Kat Valentine
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous adventure from the amazingly Iris Johansen!! I love this series so much,so many awesome characters and a great storyline that keeps you on the edge of your seat with so many twist's and turns.. Johansen knows how to writer a totally thrilling tale and her villains are so evil ,but they are no match for eve and all those who inhabit her world !! This is mostly about jock and cara,when cara gets kidnapped by one of her grandfather's enemies it's jock and Joe Quinn to the rescue,bu ...more
Tim
Jun 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
While listening to the audio version, I kept falling asleep. This is a DNF for me that I may come back to...but I doubt it.
Lori
May 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
the same old, I'm strong, your mine, I'll protect you ! I want something different, I want a good juicy story of a reconstruction a hunt for a killer not of the family, There is so much repetitive conversations! Come on Iris Johansen give me something like the beginning of the series, I'm bored.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Cara Delaney, the adopted daughter of Eve Duncan and Joe Quinn, becomes the focus of a deranged man bent on revenge. When she's kidnapped, Eve, Joe, their brilliant, atypical young son Michael, and Jock Gavin (there are unrequited feelings between him and Cara) work to get her back safe. This book is nonstop suspense, and I loved that about it. Cara's fragile but also strong like a strand of silk. She's a great match for Jock, who has a very troubled past that has made him an extremely dangerous ...more
Sandy
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I am over (and I know I said this in another review) of Cara's and if I've being honest every character in this book, saying "I have to protect the other", "it's my fault", "it's my job". This book could have had 50 less pages without that dialog. I'm suprised by Cara and Jock finally hooking up. So this probably means in the next book or two they will kill off Jock. Seems like this author likes to do that. If there was never another book in this series - I would be okay with it. Maybe a new ser ...more
Rachel Walton
Aug 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Couldn't even finish this one. 200 pages in and had to give up. The storyline is too much like all of Johansen's other books, and the dialogue has gotten stale and boring. There's no need to have the characters talking out every emotion they experience. It's also getting really old that the untrained women in the books think they need to be in on the action when they just get in the way.
Marika Charalambous
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm starting to get Eve Duncan fatigue from what I've noticed. Still a great book, but I was not as hooked on the story as before. I found the dialogue forced, and Michael, the kid, had such a rich vocabulary that even most adults don't speak the way he did in the book. No matter what kind of an old soul a child is, he still needs several Earth years to learn proper grammar, vocabulary, and speech. A preteen is simply not capable of speaking the way Michael spoke at times.

Full review at https://
Donna Hines
You can never go wrong with Iris Johansen as she always entices readers from start to finish with her incredibly moving novels that will thrill then chill then set you on a path to pure adrenaline fight or flight responses.
In Dark Tribute she once again doesn't disappoint as Cara Delaney thought she found her perfect life.
She has an awesome career a nice loving relationship with her guardians (Eve and Joe) but what is missing is romance with Jock.
Her lifelong friend won't give her the time of
Katherine
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
In fairness to the author this is the 24th bookin the Eve Duncan series and I have not read any of the others. Also, in fairness to her, this is a review of an ARC. Both of these probably are responsible for the 2 star rating on this Eve Duncan adventure. In actuality, Eve Duncan did not play a very large part in the story but her son, Michael and her daughter, Cara were the two main characters--other than Cara's grandfather and the villain of the piece, an insane old adversary of his, Svardak.
w
Sarah Moschel
Apr 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Used to be one of my favorite authors. Her last 3 books have been awful, the plot old and tired, and I have to force myself to finish
Anke
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book
Jessica
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyed seeing some progress being made in this series! (view spoiler)

#3 The Search - ★★★★★
#18 Silencing Eve - ★★★☆☆
#19 Shadow Play - ★
Avidreader
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Of the many characters in the Eve Duncan universe, Jock is one of my favorites and one that I wish they would explore more. Jock and Cara finally confront the nature of their relationship before it is threatened by someone from her grandfather's past. Michael becomes very protective of Joe, and he, Joe and Eve help Cara overcome the latest threat. I honestly knew from the moment they introduced Cara as a child that it was headed in this direction and I had issues with it at first. I do like the ...more
Micky Cox
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another excellent installment in the Eve Duncan series, this one brings Eve and Joe's adopted daughter Kara to the forefront as the main character and will not disappoint! As always the characters are extremely well developed and brought to life in a manner that makes the fast, action packed plot even more intriguing and entertaining. I am quite looking forward to seeing how Eve & Joe's son's character develops as the story lines progress as I think we will see quite interesting plots involving ...more
LInda L
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I think I have read a few other Eve Duncan books a long time ago, but apparently a lot has happened since the last one. For one thing, this book was more about Cara and her FINALLY lover Jock than it was Eve and Joe. The dialogue was awful -- who talks like that?? The plot was really far-fetched, but still enjoyed it and read it through to the end. Michael was really into telepathy, which is even MORE far-fetched and no 10 year old I've ever met had a vocabulary as advanced as his. Despite all t ...more
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-reads
I picked up this book because I do like the earlier books of Eve Duncan. This one kind of seemed a bit repetitive reminiscent of all the other books. No one does what they are told and they are continually getting in to trouble haha, but I guess that is what is needed to make the conflict. However sometimes it is nice to read a book where you will know the ending no matter what happens in the middle.
Wendy Nickl
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Amanda
Jan 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is the first book I read by Iris. I know, I should start from the beginning of the series, but I won the giveaway.
Anyway, I'm not into "Godfather" type plots nor telepathy, so this book wasn't my cup of tea.
Alasandra Alawine
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Cara is kidnapped by a psycho everyone rushes to save her but Cara has changed during her time with the madman and actually does a decent job of saving herself. Her only worry now is his threat to her family. When Joe is captured Cara works with her Grandfather to end the madman's life once and for all and bring Joe safely home. But it's Michael's special abilities that allow them to find Joe in time to save Joe's life.

Cara also manages to get Jock in her bed FINALLY.
Andrea Bolton
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Iris Johansen was the author that got me back to being an avid reader with The Ugly Duckling. I’ve been a fan ever since and Eve Duncan stories are my favorite because I’m so familiar with the characters. It’s an action packed, page turner. Good to the very end.
Brandy
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can never get enough of Eve and Joe and Micheal and Cara. I love that we got to see more of Jock, and Kaskov is getting more interesting all the time. The plot itself was very interesting and kept me enthralled, as usual!
Beth Tilley
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book takes the series in a new direction - Jock and Cara's story - a thriller!
Rebecca
3.5 STARS

Even though this is Eve's series, at this point I care more about Cara and Jock than Eve/Joe. I wish IJ would just give them a spinoff. Some elements are a little predictable, but I always enjoy the experience. The entire Michael piece felt odd, and it kept me from giving this one my usual 4 STARS for the series. I'll definitely be reading the next installment.
Bob
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cara Delaney is the center of this one with EVE, Joe, Micheal, Jock Cara's Grandfather Kashov the Russian mobster and Svardak a Russian nemesis of both Kashov and now Cara. Kidnapping, recovery,
murder and hunt putting all at risk. Cara, an adult now and knowing what she wants with Jock and a revelation about Michael Eve's and Joe's 10 year old son. A good read as only Iris can do it. Enjoy!!
Linda Munro
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
When a mad man sets his sites on Cara Delaney, it is far more than insanity ruling him. His family tormented Cara’s biological grandfather when he was young. Kaskov retaliated, killing every member of the Sardiv family except for one member, now Sardiv is killing violinist as tribute to his murdered sister and Cara is now in his grasp as a double trophy, first retribution and second tribute.

Cara refuses to go calmly into the night, setting off a chain of tragic events which threaten everyone she
Saundra
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The novels are entirely formulaic and the dialogue is stilted, but I still enjoy them. I skip pages now and then.
Rob
Apr 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
Unrealistic dialogue. Characters that are everything from psychic to super spies to world class singers to russian mafia yet supposed to be based on forensic science. A series that you have to be a fan of from the beginning.
Drw
Aug 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Back in book #20 - Hide Away - we were introduced to Cara the idiot girl - who with no known skills is going to save all the trained assassins and former SEAL team members.

Then in book #21 - Night and Day - Cara's idiocy is massively reinforced; almost getting everyone with skills killed because of her hubris. But, at least Cara is a young teen in these books.

Here we are in book #24 and Cara is now a young adult and STILL AN IDIOT. No wonder Jock is staying as far away from her as possible.

I jus
Gloria Zak
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Wanted to rate higher but all of this activity was a little bit incredulous. I gave up on this series some time ago but thought I would try again. It was fun to get reacquainted with the main characters and I love Eve. But the story just was far beyond believable to me.
Trish W.
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
The 24th in this long "Eve Duncan" series, this is a bit below-par for Johansen. Or maybe I'm just getting a tad weary of the series although I haven't read every single one by any means. Frequent reliance on the mystical stretches credibility too much in this story. The loyalty of an author's fan base only goes so far.

• The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
  • Willing to Die (To Die, #8)
  • The A List (Ali Reynolds, #14)
  • Nothing to Hide (Lucy Kincaid #15)
  • The Fifth Doctrine (The Guardian, #3)
  • Hidden Salem (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #19)
  • The 18th Abduction (Women's Murder Club, #18)
  • A Lethal Legacy (New York Confidential #4)
  • Deadlock
  • Paranoid
  • The Summoning (Krewe of Hunters #27)
  • Final Shadows (Bishop Files #3)
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • Unsolved (Invisible, #2)
  • Outfox
  • Wild Card (Stone Barrington, #49)
  • The Seekers (Krewe of Hunters #28)
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great su ...more

Eve Duncan (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Face of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1)
  • The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2)
  • The Search (Eve Duncan, #3)
  • Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)
  • Blind Alley (Eve Duncan, #5)
  • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
  • Stalemate (Eve Duncan, #7)
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Blood Game (Eve Duncan, #9)
  • Eight Days To Live (Eve Duncan, #10)