Start by marking “Birthday” as Want to Read:
Birthday

Birthday

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  3,786 ratings  ·  1,025 reviews
Boyhood meets The Sun Is Also a Star in this unconventional love story by award-winning author Meredith Russo!

Two kids, Morgan and Eric, are bonded for life after being born on the same day at the same time. We meet them once a year on their shared birthday as they grow and change: as Eric figures out who he is and how he fits into the world, and as Morgan makes the
Published May 21st 2019 by Flatiron Books

·  3,786 ratings  ·  1,025 reviews

Start your review of Birthday
Lala BooksandLala
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Equally soul crushing and heart warming
Larry H
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Meredith Russo, this book absolutely blew me away.

Eric and Morgan have known each other since birth. That's not hyperbole—they were born on the same day in the same hospital, and there was a snowstorm, so both families were snowed in. Their families were close, at least until Morgan's mother died of cancer. But the boys have been best friends their entire lives.

As their 13th birthday approaches, Morgan knows things are changing. What Morgan knows more than anything is that he isn't whom he's
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡ (semi-hiatus)
5 / 5 stars

I read this one without knowing anything but it’s a story about two friends who were born on the same day, includes LGBT and ...... that’s it. So, when I discovered that Morgan was a trans, I was completely shocked (but in a good way) because I’ve never read a single book that includes a transgender as the main character before. It’s a definitely brand new experience and also a good start for me. It makes me understand those who are transgenders much more than I did before, knowing
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Shelves: queer
I am crying so hard in this club

TW: suicide, death of a parent, homophobia, transphobia
chan ☆
favorite book of the year, hands down.
Gabby
Huge thanks to Flat Iron Books for the ARC!
Holy crap, I loved this book. I loved it so much more than I thought it would. I finished it one one day and it’s been a while since I’ve done that. I just absolutely adored Morgan and Eric.

The premise of this book is super vague so I’m going to try to keep this review as vague as possible - but wow. My fucking heart hurts and this book is so powerful and so important. I love the way this story is told, we get to follow these two characters every year
Lola
Three years ago, I read Meredith Russo’s debut – If I Was Your Girl – and I enjoyed it, but I could not have predicted it becoming a bestseller and award-winning novel, because although I found it sweet and meaningful, it was not a page-turner for me. Birthday is very different from her debut, so different that I feel a switch was made in the author’s mind or she wanted to tell a heart-breaking story instead of a mainly heart-blossoming one.

There is a lot of love in this coming-of-age story—it
Lyn
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lyn by: Jan and Moony's reviews
Audio – 4.5 stars
Story – 5 +++ stars

I don’t really have the words to review this book, but I do have two words for the author, Meredith Russo…THANK YOU!!!

As a mother who very recently found out that her 13-year-old child is FTM trans, this story and the interview at the end between the narrator and the author (who are both MTF trans) proved to be more enlightening than any pamphlet could ever be.

The story may be fictional, but it comes from a place of truth. Even though Morgan and Eric have
Trina (Between Chapters)
Absolutely a favorite of the year. I was immediately invested in these characters and loved the format of only seeing them once a year on their birthdays, seeing how their lives had changed since we last checked in.

I did not expect the grief element in this book. Morgan's mom died from cancer when she was 12, and my mom died of cancer when I was 12. To say that Morgan's feelings hit home is an understatement. Her mother wrote letters before she died, and so on the other side of things, as a mom,
Tucker
Dec 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
well, folks we may just have our next A.J. Finn

I urge you to read this article before reading any of Russo's books.

Trigger warning for domestic abuse and suicide

Domestic Abuse Hotline [https://www.thehotline.org/]
Suicide Prevention Hotline [https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/]
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
I started reading Birthday on 5/10/2019 and finished it on 5/11/2019. This book is a fantastic read! As soon as I read Morgan’s view I felt heartbroken for him because of his mom. Gosh, I cried so much reading this book! I also really like Eric too. Eric’s such a good person and a caring friend despite having those jerks for brothers and dad. Their struggles felt so real and the secrets they live with makes me ache for them. Both of the main characters are well liked. I love Morgan’s birthday ...more
Moony Eliver
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Moony by: Hollis
Oof. This one’s hard to talk about. Here’s why…

I highlighted 2 lines in Birthday. TWO. Normally I would have at least 20. But people, I forgot I was reading. I didn’t reach out to highlight for the same reason I don’t reach out to highlight the air when a friend in front of me says something great.

(Although…hmm…put a pin in that. Someone please make this capability??)

I wasn’t reading a novel, I was living Morgan’s life. I wasn’t seeing into her head, I WAS her. With the added bonus of also
Camryn
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I feel like crying. I couldn’t put this down because I fell in love with both Eric and Morgan. This broke my heart and twisted it and made me tear up. But it was also so triumphant. This is going to save lives.
Sara
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was some book.
I loved the characters, i loved the concept and i loved the execution.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m just sitting here crying??? This was so wonderful, and I think Morgan’s story (and Eric’s) will resonate with so many people. The format— Birthday is told through snapshots of the two main characters’ birthdays from age 13-18– was executed to perfection. The Southern small-town setting was all-too realistic. Birthday is a great reminder that coming out stories are still important and that there are so many coming out narratives that still need to be told.

Content warnings: death of a parent
Christy
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this. I want to give Morgan and Eric the biggest hug.
Hollis
BIRTHDAY blew me away.

"I don't think we have much choice in who we turn out to be, as much as we might want to."

I honestly don't even know what to say. But my god. I was choking back the sobs by page thirty and that more or less was what I did throughout the rest of the book, too. And just thinking about the journey makes me want to cry.

What do you do when you can't swim up, you can't swim down, and staying put will suffocate you?

As always I went in with only a very very vague idea as to what
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
ffs, if I have to read the f-slur one more time I'm going to cry. It's immensely triggering for me and it's used in such an overkill amount here.
Kevin (Irish Reader)
You know when you read a book and you just know it’s going to have a long lasting impression on you, that’s what this book has done for me. Amazing

CW/TW: Grief, Homophobia, Transphobia, Suicide, Abusive Parent.

This book follows Morgan and Eric, who are best friends and also share the same birthday. Morgan’s mother has recently passed, and they are struggling with grief and also beginning to question their gender. Eric’s father takes out his anger on his wife and sons. Morgan and Eric have such
Boston
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars-2019
Cried like a baby. 5 stars.
SHIRLEY ♡
I can’t describe how much I loved this book.
Romie
I am not going to lie, this is one of the hardest books I've ever read. it was very dark, it was painful to read at times, but most importantly this book is hopeful. so hopeful. I cannot recommend it enough. I truly cannot. this is one of the best & most important books you'll ever read, and I am so thankful for Meredith Russo. we need more ownvoices transgender books. trans lives do matter.

trigger warnings (please take care): internalised transphobia, homophobia & transphobia from other
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Video Review

Birthday is one of the most heartbreaking and simultaneously hopeful novels I have read in a long time. Meredith Russo had a perfect balance between creating a realistic novel with all the hard hitting, devastating truths of life while giving us an ending that is so full of hope and light that it still leaves you with a wonderful, warm feeling.

“Maybe that's what life is about: suriving what you can't control and clinging to the good things the winds whip up.”

While this novel
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Morgan had to find who he was and when he did he could not show it to anyone. He had to live for years, suffocating. Either trying to live as a girl just to hide it again; either embracing his masculinity, wearing it like a mask until everything shattered inside.

Add to his/her suffering the yearly letters left by his deceased mother and to be read at every birthday and I was a sobbing mess most of the time!

This book hit me hard.

I am someone who will empathize with the character, live his life,
Dannii Elle
I spent the most glorious weekend traversing London and the Harry Potter Studios with a bunch of book lovers. One of my highlights was finally getting to visit the renowned Gays the Word bookstore. This isn't a review of the shop so I'll keep my ravings about it brief, but if you ever get the chance to visit do not hesitate to do so as it is an LGBT+ HEAVEN!

I knew I was going to purchase a book from the store but had no preconceptions which one I would pick. Almost immediately upon entering,
Kate
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
5/5stars

this was perfect. i cried. please read this.
Mel
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only have a few words to say on this book. This is not an own voices review, so I don’t feel like I should say anything about the aspects of the book that I don’t understand. What I want to talk about is the friend. Eric.

Eric is the exact definition of a bad friend. This entire book would have been so different had he communicated. Had he reached out. When your friend is clearly struggling, you reach out. It’s what friends do.

That’s honestly the only thing that irked me. Otherwise, I thought
maya
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
4——————————————————
i binge read this book all in one sitting
i cried.
review to come

happy pride month!!!
representation: trans main character
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
The rep is believable and common; however, as someone under the trans umbrella, it wasn't great to be in the negative headspace that comes along with residing in a place where who you are is punishable by death. I wouldn't say that's a negative of the novel, more like a content warning so you know what you're getting into. I liked Eric a lot, and I thought Morgan was a great representation of many different teen struggles, not just gender identity related. I would recommend this, but personally ...more
Neville Longbottom
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia, 2019
Wow. I wasn’t prepared for this book. I’d read Meredith Russo’s first book If I Was Your Girl and thought it was pretty good, but I wasn’t blown away by it or anything. But damn, Birthday exceeded all expectations I had for it.

Eric and Morgan have been best friends since they were born on the same day. The book takes place on their birthday each year from 13 to 18 as they grow, change, and struggle with things in their lives. Over the years Morgan struggles with her gender identity, she knows

• I Wish You All the Best
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • With the Fire on High
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Like a Love Story
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Mooncakes
  • This Time Will Be Different
  • Love From A to Z
  • We Contain Multitudes
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • Bloom
  • Sanctuary
  • Alex in Wonderland
MEREDITH RUSSO lives in Chattanooga, Tennessee with her two children. If I Was Your Girl is her debut novel.
“Maybe that's what life is about: surviving what you can't control and clinging to the good things the winds whip up.” 5 likes
“I wonder if maybe I just can't cry anymore, if maybe growing up means testosterone is running through my body like an invading army, butchering and bunting everything tender.” 2 likes