Start by marking “The Very Best of the Best: 35 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction” as Want to Read:
The Very Best of the Best: 35 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction

The Very Best of the Best: 35 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction

For the first time in a decade, a compilation of the very best in science fiction, from a world authority on the genre.

For decades, the Year's Best Science Fiction has been the most widely read short science fiction anthology of its kind. Now, after thirty-five annual collections comes the ultimate in science fiction anthologies. In The Very Best of the Best, legendary
Published February 26th 2019 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Very Best of the Best, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Best of the Best

Start your review of The Very Best of the Best: 35 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction
Dan Trefethen
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
As much as I admired the late Gardner Dozois' taste in stories, I was disappointed in this volume. Not that the stories are bad – they're very good. But the title is deceptive; this is NOT the best of 35 years of science fiction. Gardner published two volumes of “the best of the best” before this, covering the first 20 years of his annual compilation. This volume covers the years 2003-2017.

That leaves out significant authors from the past 35 years: Octavia Butler, Ursula Le Guin, James Tiptree
Julio
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cf, cuentos
El título es un poco engañoso pues no se trata de lo mejor de lo mejor de los últimos 35 años, sino de una selección de los alrededor de 15 últimos volúmenes de su antología anual de mejores cuentos de CF - que es, de hecho, una excelente selección. Este libro complementa entonces los dos previos Best of the Best que Dozois ya publicó. Y será inevitablemente el último compendio pues uno de los mejores editores en la historia de la CF (y un muy buen escritor también) falleció hace ya más de un ...more
Mona
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall rating of whole anthology: 4

This is a terrific anthology, edited by the late, great Gardner Dozois. It’s long too, chock full of stories by many different, and very diverse, authors, so you’ll get plenty of bang for your buck.

The overall quality of the stories is very high. I liked this anthology much better than the one I read previously, The New Space Opera 2.

The two audio readers, Will Damron and Vivienne Leheny, are top of the line. The number of characters and atmospheres they
Liz
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some excellent writing in here; time to add some new authors to my sci-fi favorites list.
Marcus
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great collection of sci-fi short fiction. On par with the usual annual collections
Pedro L. Fragoso
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The title of this anthology is, euphemistically puting it, deceptive; in blunt terms, it feels like a fraud. Gardner Dozois had already done 2 anthologies of anthologies, and he called them The Best of the Best (2005), and The Best of the Best - Volume 2 (two years later). This is Volume 3: The title, as it is, feels very much like a publisher's business decision to leverage the editor's death; at a minimum it's disrespectfully and also, it stinks, and furthermore, it's not true (the stories ...more
Deborah Replogle
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful stories. All of them were great. But the book is over 600 pages long and over 2 inches thick. My hands can't handle this kind of weight anymore.
Matt
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because I've long felt that I was ignoring the vibrant SF short fiction scene, and this definitely scratched an itch. I wouldn't predict that most people will love every story, as you might expect from a best of the best anthology (I found the stories ranged from mind blowing to just interesting), but I think this is for the best. This isn't a collection of crowd-pleasers: the works are pretty different, and I expect everyone would have their favorites. I particularly liked:

The
Ralph Blackburn
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Disappointing! This was probably a very hard task coming up with a great representative book of all the short science fiction works over the last 35 years. So much was missed! What we got was from my perspective some good stories, many forgettable, and a huge gap of missing genre-defining material. A real head-scratcher!
John
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Uneven, as such collections tend to be, but a few gems in the pile. A lot of the stories seemed to me to be about switching bodies--evidently a hot theme. In the audio edition the intros all come off as dry recitations of titles and awards, but the readers do a good job except when they try on British or other accents.
Luke Bjorge
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Very average stories at best. I’ve never skipped stories in a collection before and I skipped at least six before I gave up at about page 500 and stopped reading. There were three or four very good stories but not worth reading the rest of the chaff. Save yourself the headache and read something else.
Karen
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely marvelous collection of short stories. I have always preferred short stories to novels, but seldom indulge these days. Having plowed through 700 pages of them though, my interest is well revived. Highly recommended for anyone with a love of well written short science fiction.
MJ
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed many of these stories. Though towards the last 1/3rd they seemed pretty much the same. Odd.

As a note there were slightly fewer than 1/3 stories by women. Given that the years cover 2002 - 2017 I would have thought there'd been a few more worthy choices from women writers.
Benjamin
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is what it says. A beautiful collection with just enough background.
Bob In
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fine collection of sci fi short stories.
Josephine
The very best of the best is a matter of opinion. Some where good, some you wonder why they were added, and others had no science fiction thread.
Maria Haskins
Jul 17, 2019
Ken
Apr 08, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• A People's Future of the United States: Speculative Fiction from 25 Extraordinary Writers
  • The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2018
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year Volume Thirteen
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • Permafrost
  • The Science Fiction Collection
  • Tales of Magic and Destiny
  • The Light Brigade
  • The Iron Dragon's Mother
  • The Year’s Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2019 Edition (The Year’s Best Science Fiction and Fantasy Book 11)
  • Fantastic Tales of Terror: History's Darkest Secrets
  • Empress of Forever
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • Rogue Farm
  • Black Crow, White Snow
  • The Tale of Troy: Retold from the Ancient Authors
  • A Place In The Hills
  • Five Novellas
Gardner Raymond Dozois was an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner Dozois