Start by marking “The Tesla Legacy” as Want to Read:
The Tesla Legacy

The Tesla Legacy

THE TESLA LEGACY follows a precocious young scientist named Lucy Phelps whose fateful encounter in the Tesla Suite of the New Yorker Hotel unlocks her dormant electrical powers. As Lucy struggles to understand her new abilities through scientific experimentation, she is thrust into a centuries old battle between rival alchemical societies.

One side wants her help and the ot
Published March 12th 2019 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Tesla Legacy, please sign up.
Asteropê No idea?
This is the author's other profile: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
Nothing that matches Elizabeth Bathory listed there either. Are y…more
No idea?
This is the author's other profile: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
Nothing that matches Elizabeth Bathory listed there either. Are you use this was the author? (less)

Start your review of The Tesla Legacy
Jessica
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-novels
I received this book for free from BookSparks as part of their YA Winter Reading Challenge.

This was my second book by K.K. Perez and I loved it. I had previously read her other book, Sweet Black Waves, and fell in love with it, so I was eager to read this one.

I don’t typically read sci-fi so this was a bit out of comfort zone, but I still enjoyed it. I actually really liked the science aspects. It was very interesting and I liked how alchemy was also incorporated.

description

I assume this is the first bo
megs_bookrack
Yayee! ARC received - this sounds so interesting! I love anything even remotely related to the life and times of Nikola Tesla so this book sounds like it will be right up my alley! Thank you Macmillan-Tor/Forge, I am so excited to get to this!

Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
This book is electrifying and loads of exciting, power-driven and thrilling fun!

Take an insanely smart but quiet teenager, who has been home schooled most her life because of a seizure disorder, and throw in a bit of Peter Parker meets Electro meets Wonder Woman - and you've got our main character, Lucy. She's finally convinced her overbearing parents to let her attend high school, and she's been staying pretty low key for most of it, finally dating a cute boy and coming into her own and feelin
Laura Lam
Really enjoyed this.

Starring a girl interested in all things science and tired of her parents treating her like something breakable. When she discovers a secret about Tesla, everything changes. Smart and clever!
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Okay no clue why but I thought this was a stand alone so if you're under that impression, the ending HEAVILY insinuates it's book #1 in a series.

Right off the bat, I loved the main character. She's realistic. She's smart. This is basically her superhero origin story? I guess that's the easiest way to explain it.

The plot had SO many reveals, twists and turns to the point that like half way through, I assumed EVERYONE was lying about EVERYTHING and yet I was STILL surprised at the absolute chaos t
Bethany
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

The Tesla Legacy is an eminently bingeable blend of science fiction and urban fantasy that features a brave heroine, plenty of action, a bit of romantic drama, and unexpected twists. All the while, slipping in a surprising amount of science and history of science. It's a definite page-turner that celebrates women in STEM, with an ending that has me wishing I had book 2 when book 1 isn't even out yet! Perfect for fans of The DaVinci Code who want more science and teen dram
Hélène Louise
I liked the beginning of this book, the idea of a very bright girl - bright with science, for once. The mystery around her was interesting and there were all the bases for a good story: parents with personalities, an old unbalanced relationship ready to be replaced with a more satisfying one and some characters with much potential.

But alas at the half the story wobbled: there were too much repetitions (about her relationship with the sooo perfect bestie, about the old love interest, about the da
McCall Hoyle
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genius! Pure genius--YA Sci-Fi that will keep you turning pages. It's filled with drama and suspense. The writing is as intelligent as the teenage protagonist, Lucy. The science, alchemy, and elements about scientists such as Tesla had me wanting to head to the library on a research field trip. And the romance... Honestly, teenagers and adults will gobble this up. Kudos, K K Perez. Waiting with baited breath for the sequel.
Rachel Solomon
LEGACY is a STEM-filled adventure of a book, with a smart, relentlessly ambitious protagonist and a fascinating historical mystery at its core.
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I started The Tesla Legacy. I've read K.K. Pérez's other book (Sweet Black Waves) and know that she's fantastic at tension, characters, and plot twists. The Tesla Legacy definitely had all of that and more.

I loved that Lucy, the main character, was so smart and confident. I liked her from the very first chapter. Overall, her character development was fantastic. Also, she was very into science, technology, and math and I loved how Pérez showed that as a go
The Nerd Daily
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Teralyn Mitchell

The Tesla Legacy is the story of a girl who discovers there is more to herself than meets the eye. Lucy Phelps has been sheltered all her life by her over protective parents due to her having epilepsy and she was homeschooled until she was able to convince her parents to let her go to high school during her junior year. She’s now in the last few weeks of her senior year and trying to do everything right so that her parents will l
Darshana Khiani
A fun light read with alchemy, secret societies, and the truth to discover.
Carlie Sorosiak
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Packed with mystery, intrigue and nail-biting action, this novel kept me guessing to the very last moment.
Breeana Shields
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A smart page-turner that kept me guessing! Loved this one.
Liz (Quirky Cat)
The Tesla Legacy is the debut novel of K.K. Perez. The title will probably give you a bit of an idea of what is in store, which is something I love about it. The novel follows young Lucy Phelps as the unbelievable happens to her. Lucy finds herself in a mystery of epic proportions, and she’s at the center of it all.
This novel is a young adult novel, but it’s also very satisfyingly a science fiction novel. It’s fast-paced, quirky, and a lot of fun to read. Lucy’s character is charismatic and st
Wayland Smith
Lucy Phelps spent her whole life struggling with the threat of her epilepsy, homeschooled by over protective parents. Finally, after a lot of arguing, she gets to go to high school for the last two years, along with her best friend Claudia. Senior year brings a lot of surprises, and, for the most part, not the ones you'd expect a high school girl to be dealing with.

Making a strange discovery in her father's study, Lucy finds a picture with a hidden message. This leads her to a famous hotel room,
Gina Schaarschmidt
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I will pick up almost anything that has something to do with Nikola Tesla. I loved this one.

Lucy, a senior in high school, has been home-schooled most of her life due to an unusual seizure disorder. Her mom is extremely protective but has finally acquiesced and Lucy gets to attend her senior year at a public high school. Her father, a scientist, is often out of town, but has bonded with his daughter doing experiments in their home laboratory. Lucy's science chops show at school and she has been
Mara
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very intriguing beginning of a sci-fi/action adventure type YA series. The pacing is a little off (too much build up, too fast of a pay off at the end), but I would definitely continue in this series. I like that it reads as if it is actually written for YA readers, I like how it handles the inevitable love elements in the story, and I think the premise/set-up is a smart one as the engine for a series. All in all, enjoyed & hope the series continues! ...more
Teri
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly, I'm a science nerd, and when I see the name Tesla (not the car), I get excited - that's what drew me to this book.

A lot is packed into this novel - Lucy's typical high school life rapidly turns into a tug of war between two agencies trying to 'win' her.  Unfortunately, one of those groups isn't too concerned with her survival.  There's a good bit of science talk that may throw off some readers, but it's pertinent to the story and explained well.

I loved that Lucy is an unabashed scien
Justine
Originally posted to I Should Read That

I was gifted a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This review is spoiler-free.

I’m always on the lookout for some good science fiction, and The Tesla Legacy caught my eye. Not only did I meet the author at YALC last year, it’s a YA sci-fi novel set in a modern high school that sounded so much fun. I whipped through this book incredibly quickly -- it’s a perfect read-it-in-a-day book.

I didn’t entirely know what to expect from The Tesla Legacy
Savannah Holland
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf
DNF &@ 36%
I think this book really is not for me. I love the authors other series and I like parts of this one but I find I’m just not invested like I should be
Andrea Stoeckel
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Liber, Librium, Aperit”

“One book opens another” is how the Latin above is translated. Lucinda Minerva Phelps, a techno geek/nerd is challenged by everything she knows when she enters High School from being home schooled for most of her life. In many ways, it’s liberation from her overly protective parents. In others, it seems more like an angst-driven Telenovela as her knowledge and emotions crash into each other. She’s over 18; she should have a better handle on life. Hopefully her friend Clau
Paige Green
Disclaimer: I received this book from BookSparks. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book Series: Book 1

Rating: 3.5/5

Publication Date: March 12, 2019

Genre: YA Sci-Fi

Recommended Age: 16+ (language, sex, seizures, science)

Publisher: TorTeen

Pages: 368

Amazon Link

Synopsis: THE TESLA LEGACY follows a precocious young scientist named Lucy Phelps whose fateful encounter in the Tesla Suite of the New Yorker Hotel unlocks her dormant electrical powers. As Lucy struggles to understand her new abilities throu
Zaide
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, contemporary
This had such an intriguing blurb and it was a book that hadn’t been on my radar until the YALC author lists were announced.

The storyline was pretty interesting and I loved that there was so much science included, it was fascinating and actually quite educational while still being fun! Plus we don’t get many sciencey YA books so yay!

My biggest issue with this book was the pacing. The story was very slow to unfold initially and by the time Lucy accepts her powers and starts to train using them t
AWomanReading
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is a lot to love about The Tesla Legacy. The writing is strong, immediately engaging and I connected with the main character on the first page. In fact, I read this book in one sitting, something I didn't expect with this YA novel with sci-fi themes. I selected this story because I'm interested in Nikola Tesla, which this novel explores while educating the reader in a way that doesn't feel forced.

The story follows Lucy Phelps, a homeschooled genius with a love for STEM. The story does a gr
Gemma
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was kind enough to be offered a copy of this one from the publisher in exchange for review. I'd never heard of it before I received the email and I was really intrigued by the premise. It's a super fun YA sci-fi book that I really enjoyed.

In this book we follow Lucy as she tries to lead a 'normal' teenage life after being home schooled and quite sheltered by her parents most of her life but, of course in true YA fashion, this isn't going to be the case. The writing in this one was quite easy
Bethany
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Lucy discovers a hidden door in the Tesla Suite, she's surprised to discover an egg. Curiosity gets the better of her as she approaches it. What she doesn't expect is for the egg to unlock something within her. She starts having "electricity related phenomena" including tingles whenever her boyfriend Cole kisses her. Lucy is prone to having seizures, but the events that keep causing her to lose consciousness since the Tesla suite have been completely different.

When teaching assistant Ravi e
Ceres95
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I don’t know what to tell you, so I’m going to talk to you about my feelings. It wasn’t that I didn’t like the story because it’s interesting but I didn’t manage to catch it and I think it’s largely because science has always bothered me. However, if it is not something that bothers you, you will be won over because this book is interesting. I learned a lot about Tesla and a lot of other things.

One thing that bothered me was the fact that Lucy can’t finally trust anyone. She is all alone and eve
Gemma McGee
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Tesla Legacy is an intelligent young adult fantasy.

The lead character Lucy it smart and likeable. It great finding a book where the lead is smart and interested in science. One of my favourite elements was the experiments that she conducts to find out the answers about herself.

The way in which Lucy power works is a really interesting take on the electrical power. It has several different element to her powers that I have read before and found really interesting.

The other aspects of the b
Anisha
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review*

I, sadly, didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I raced through the beginning but then just couldn't quite get past the 40% mark. The beginning was absolutely amazing and held so much promise for me, I was intrigued by Tesla, the strange abilities she seemed to have and of course her relationship with the others around her.... but I lost interest after a while.

I wish I could tell you what it was that I didn't like but I gu

• Becoming Beatriz
  • The Total Eclipse of Nestor Lopez
  • Ana María Reyes Does Not Live in a Castle
  • Random Acts of Kittens
  • The Wind Called My Name
  • Where Are You From?
  • Dear Haiti, Love Alaine
  • The Grief Keeper
  • The Fire Keeper (The Storm Runner #2)
  • Lupe Wong Won't Dance
  • The Resolutions
  • On These Magic Shores
  • Furia
  • A Dash of Trouble (Love Sugar Magic, #1)
  • The Truth Is
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • Paola Santiago and the River of Tears (Paola Santiago #1)
  • We Rule the Night
A native New Yorker, I’ve spent the last two decades in Europe and Asia working as a journalist and academic. My YA Sci-Fi, LEGACY is coming from Tor Teen in March 2019 and, writing as Kristina Pérez, the first book of my Tristan and Iseult retelling, SWEET BLACK WAVES, will also be published by Imprint/Macmillan on June 5th, 2018.

I have a penchant for non-defanged vampires, fringe science, angry