Start by marking “The Perfect Assassin (The Chronicles of Ghadid #1)” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Assassin (The Chronicles of Ghadid #1)

The Perfect Assassin

(The Chronicles of Ghadid #1)

A novice assassin is on the hunt for someone killing their own in K. A. Doore's The Perfect Assassin, a breakout high fantasy beginning the Chronicles of Ghadid series.

Divine justice is written in blood.

Or so Amastan has been taught. As a new assassin in the Basbowen family, he’s already having second thoughts about taking a life. A scarcity of contracts ends up being just
Expected publication: March 19th 2019 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Assassin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Assassin

Mary S. R.
Jan 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
Divine justice is written in blood.

An adult high fantasy series about assassins and the question of whether what you were taught is the right thing to do or not, is exactly what I need! Amazing!

There have been such great reviews written about this, praising its writing and story, and to steal a sentence from a reviewer:

“K.A. Doore writes the way an assassin creeps up o
Terence
Amastan has trained to be an assassin. After completing his final test, he learns there are no contracts and he feels relieved. His relief is short lived when he discovers the body of one of Ghadid's leaders, a drum chief. Amastan finds himself ordered to solve the murder of the drum chief soon or he and his assassin family will pay the consequences. On top of all that the spirit of the deceased is roaming free seeking a new body.

The Perfect Assassin is a murder mystery with slightly different s
Megan Lyons
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3 1/2 stars

This was a very solid fantasy. I tend to really like books with assassin's and thieves as the main characters, and this was done well. The world building and plotting were strong, though I felt like the central mystery was a bit too obvious.

Honestly, I feel like I should have liked the book more. I think it lacked a little in terms of characters. They weren't as memorable as I would have liked, which caused the book to drag a little in the beginning. However, the ending was strong, s
Acqua
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Perfect Assassin is the first book in the high fantasy series Chronicles of Ghadid, which follows a family of assassins in a desert city. I found it a solid, imaginative and very gay debut - but don't go into it expecting a romance.
This first book follows Amastan, an unusually reluctant assassin, as he has to find and kill a mysterious murderer on the run and survive the attacks of angered jaani.

The first thing that stood out to me about this book was the worldbuilding: Ghadid has now become
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Jan 02, 2019 marked it as anticipated-2019
I don't know but it sounds like "be gay, undo crime" would be one way to describe this book
Chris
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an eARC of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.

From the blurb, "A novice assassin is on the hunt for someone killing their own..." this pretty much sums it up nicely. I was pleased with this debut effort from K.A. Doore, who may very well be an author to keep an eye on.

Great worldbuilding and lots of action highlight this one, and though some of the twists and turns aren't totally surprising, the novel was very well written and engaging all the way through.

I understand that
Dan
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so much fun!

K.A. Doore writes the way an assassin creeps up on a mark. Her prose glides effortlessly, leading readers along with clues and misdirection that's never heavy-handed.

But I think the most impressive feat was the balancing act Doore strikes throughout.
This is a story about assassins, and it definitely delivers on the fight scenes, but it also doesn't revel in violence. A murder mystery drives the plot forward, while the rich secondary world setting will delight fantasy re
Andrea Rothman
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced reader copy of this book, coming out March 19. This is the first book in a series about Ghadid, a desert city built on platforms, that is terrifying as much as it is magical. I was absorbed by the story of Amastan, a young novice assassin who has reservations about killing but who ultimately has chosen this way of life for himself. He is extremely modest, courageous, and utterly compelling as a character. His personal life, which is masterfully weaved in the action, kept m ...more
Nathan Makaryk
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really unique fantasy world, and a far departure from the usual “slight-variation-of-medieval-England” so common in fantasy. I tore through my advance copy in mere days. I loved the supernatural element in this world, and how it gave profound and terrifying consequences to the main characters’ actions. Fast-paced, fun to read, check it out!
Ellen
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
K.A. Doore's debut novel is spectacular. I was fortunate enough to receive one of the ARCs and WOW. First and foremost, the world is tangible. I tasted sand in my teeth, I felt the blessed moisture in Ghadid's pumphouses, I smelled the threat of jaan. I am so thrilled to (not soon enough) read two more novels set in this beautiful, brilliantly constructed city atop the sand. Not only is the world well-constructed, but it also unfolds expertly. K.A. Doore does an incredible job of introducing the ...more
Anya
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beta read this and it is AMAZING!!!!!!
Martine Watson
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This debut absolutely blew me away. I’m not normally a fantasy reader, but I was lucky enough to get an arc of this book and I tell you, I think it has converted me. Amastan is so tender and believable at the book’s heart, and is supported by a rich cast of characters. The world building is gorgeous, matched by the writing. I was turning pages incredibly fast, following Doore’s artful twists and turns, anxious to discover the solution to the mystery. A great balance between action and introspect ...more
Kim
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

The blurbs don’t lie. Those rooftop scenes are exquisite.

Amastan is a scribe by day, assassin by night. Or he would be if contracts weren’t banned. Instead of hunting marks and eliminating Ghadid’s problems, Amastan practices with fellow assassins on Ghadid's many rooftops. And one such night leads to the discovery of a Drum Chief’s body. Amastan takes on the task of discovering who killed the Drum Chief. But soon there are two more bodies and wild jaan running loose with a taste for reve
Katherine Riley
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It sounds like a cliché to say, but I couldn’t put my advance copy of The Perfect Assassin down. The world Doore builds is intricate and compelling, but in a sense that doesn’t even matter. The prose compel one to read. It transports, which only the best fantasy novels do, rushing one headlong towards the end, even as one does one’s best to savor it. This does not read like the work of a debut fantasy author. It’s clear Doore has long steeped in the genre, and yet this debut emerges completely D ...more
Keena Roberts
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great read! Deserts, assassins, clever characters, acrobatics and real evil... it's all here. Also, knives. The wordbuilding is excellent, especially since it creates a vibrant city that's detailed while also clearly only part of a much larger and wider world, something that I really appreciated knowing there are two more books to come!
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Nov 29, 2017 marked it as releases-2019
a family of assassins, complete with queer characters!!
Lau
Jan 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
The author on Twitter: queer af fantasy! Ace MC!

Me, crying cake: PLEASE TAKE ALL MY MONEY
charlotte
actual rating 4.5

Rep: gay ace mc, lesbian side characters

rtc in march lol
Amanda
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you like reluctant murder cinnamon buns who would rather be reading a good book if it weren't for all this pesky MORAL FIBER, with a dash of badassery on the side, then Amastan, the main character of this one, is so for you.

This is one of those glorious books that sneaks up on you with the feels. Doore is a fantastic writer, and she seems especially adept at taking a lot of elements that seem unrelated at the beginning of the book and slowly drawing them in on the reader when they're not look
Julia Phillips
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A vivid, immersive, wildly imaginative story about duty, society, and betrayal.
Dee
Full disclosure: K.A. Doore and I share an agent, which is part of how I got hold of an ARC of this book. But that doesn't alter the fact that this book is a charming and well-balanced delight.

I love stories about assassins, because they're so competent and badass and full of the tough grey questions of society, as you start getting into matters of murder and justice. But at the same time, I am burned the hell out on fantasies about assassins, because it's always just some hooded and jaded smart
Judy Lesley
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I liked the world building in this story more than the story building. I do not usually read young adult novels and this one kept feeling like it would be aimed more toward that reading group even though I could not find anything to indicate that it falls within the YA genre. So I really liked the imagery of cities built on high stilts to protect the inhabitants from the scary things living in the sands below. That tension of having chase scenes moving across cities with the possibility of sudde ...more
Maxym Martineau
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to read an advanced copy of K.A. Doore’s The Perfect Assassin and I was blown away by the world she created. The detailed fight scenes, the deep dive into Amastan’s POV, the queer characters — all of it was amazing and then some. I couldn’t get over the world she established and how real it all felt. It’s tightly plotted with something happening on every page, and the compelling prose made for a great story. Amastan’s inner conflict was so real and believable, and I loved ...more
James Charlesworth
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance copy and am glad I checked this out. Really tight plot with some great imagery and wonderful moments evoked by super solid storytelling. There's a nice mix of grittiness and the supernatural in this well-rendered world, and the mystery at the heart of the story will keep you guessing until the end.
R.L. Maizes
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a great read. Got an advance copy of this and so glad I did. I’m not usually a reader of fantasy, but this book crossed genres for me. The characters were well developed. The plot was riveting. Put this on your to read pile. You’ll be glad you did.
Sibil
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: readtoreview
Questa recensione verrà rimaneggiata più avanti, ne sono quasi sicura, però nel frattempo inizio a buttare giù qualche pensiero scarso, più che altro per non dimenticarmene.
All'inizio ero quasi decisa a promuoverlo comunque, anche se da questo libro mi aspettavo molto di più, ma poi mi sono accorta che stavo mentendo, soprattutto a me stessa. Non posso dire che questo libro sia brutto brutto, ma alle tre stelline ci arriva risicando.
Ha un sacco di potenziale, questo è innegabile, e il suo punto
Miranda Benson
Disclaimer: I received an advanced reader copy from the author through a Twitter giveaway. However, this review is of my own accord, because I like the book so much that I had to take the time to review it. The fact that it was given to me has no bearing on my review.

As an avid reader of speculative fiction, I often find a few overplayed tropes in the genre: monarchical governments, heroes that defeat evil without any killing, a cut-and-dry happily ever after. KA Doore's The Perfect Assassin sha
Darin Brown
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
For the right audience, this is a 5 star book.

The plot is excellent. Doore builds a world in a barren wasteland of the dark ages which contains a few paranormal elements but mostly reflects historical fiction. The story twists and turns with action, intrigue, and emotion. The internal and external conflicts are both well developed and well resolved, with a satisfying and powerful ending. Included also is a message that plays perfectly within the storyline.

The writing is excellent. Except for the
Caterina Gagliardi
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
review to come!!
Cass
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An artful murder mystery in a fantastical setting! Amastan is a thoughful protagonist, cautious and clever, neatly finding his way through a tangle of lies and secrets that are long-buried, but not dead. The desert platform-city of Ghadid is well-drawn and compelling in its politics and its magic.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Ninth House #1)
  • Tarnished Are the Stars
  • The Women's War (Women's War, #1)
  • When We Were Magic
  • Upon a Burning Throne
  • Lady Hotspur
  • The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
  • Reverie
  • Silver in the Wood
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • Irenicon (The Wave Trilogy, #1)
  • Armistice (The Amberlough Dossier, #2)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • Stormsong (The Kingston Cycle, #2)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Deep
  • Unconquerable Sun (The Sun Chronicles #1)
K.A. Doore grew up in Florida, but has since lived in lush Washington, arid Arizona, and cherry-infused-everything Michigan. While recovering from climate whiplash, she has raised chickens, learned entirely too much about property assessment, photographed cacti, and now develops online trainings, none of which has anything to do with – or perhaps has everything to do with – her BA in Classics.

She

The Chronicles of Ghadid (2 books)
  • The Impossible Contract (The Chronicles of Ghadid #2)