Start by marking “Never-Contented Things” as Want to Read:
Never-Contented Things

Never-Contented Things

Seductive. Cruel. Bored.
Be wary of…

Prince and his fairy courtiers are staggeringly beautiful, unrelentingly cruel, and exhausted by the tedium of the centuries ― until they meet foster-siblings Josh and Ksenia. Drawn in by their vivid emotions, undying love for each other, and passion for life, Prince will stop at nothing to possess them.

First seduced and then entrapp
Published March 19th 2019 by Tor Teen

Start your review of Never-Contented Things
Elise (TheBookishActress)
This is a book about the attempt to find relationships and connections when in circumstances where it is hard to develop either, and how that can lead both to unhealthy behavior and to real love — it simply depends how it is expressed.

Don’t look at the average rating yet. We’ll talk about it.

Never Contented Things follows two foster siblings who are in love, or so they think – no, this is not romanticized – and their journey after one makes a deal with faerie. So, yes, the first half of this bo
Acqua
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Let's get one thing out of the way first: this is not like The Cruel Prince.

The synopsis might make you think it is, but there's no court intrigue, no hate-to-love romance, and they are just very different stories with completely different messages. Going into this expecting them to be similar will only lead to disappointment.

Never-Contented Things is a dark contemporary fantasy story about a codependent relationship between two foster siblings. It's ugly, messy, disturbing and hard to read, and
Melanie (mells_view)
3.5 “If you let yourself feel how empty the sky is, you know you’re always falling into an enormous hole.”

To start, if you are looking for a book like a certain cruel, wicked, and fae driven YA series (I was), this book will NOT make you happy. If you are looking to read something that has non-traditional main characters, dark fairies as an accessory, and a very dark magical Labyrinth (yes my age is showing) feel to it, then you will LOVE this story.

The relationships are unhealthy at best. There
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
How am I just now hearing about this! Ahhh.

I'm so ready.
Silvia
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

4.5 stars, rounded up after careful consideration.

This book's biggest flaw was the way it was marketed.

First things first, I loved this book. I think it might have been a 5 stars under slightly different circumstances, and if I can ever bring myself to read it again I think I will be able to give this the 5 stars it probably deserves.

Before we get into what it did right
alana ♡
Jan 08, 2019 marked it as dnf
Shelves: fantasy
DNF @ 50%.

Y’all, I had to do myself a solid and pull the plug on this. I legitimately felt like I was on heavy drugs reading this, it’s such a weird story. Just when I thought it couldn’t get weirder it did, and not in a “this is unique” type of way, it’s a “what the fuck am I reading” type of way. The whole foster sibling / incest discussion / one is in love with the other was just a big nope.

Plus, this promised TCP vibes but where were the Fae?!?!?

Blog | Twitter | Instagram
Fiona
I was the one who said the magic words, and now we're all living under a spell.

This is one of those ratings where I'm being objective, because though it's not an easy, or entirely enjoyable read for me, I was still very much in awe of some of the writing here, and the subjects tackled.

In a small town near Buffalo, beautiful and untamed Josh goes missing after partying with a group of beautiful strangers. His foster-sister, Ksenia, was there but even she can't find him - until one day when a domi
Mel (Epic Reading)
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
This is a dark, creepy book. It's not horror but it's skirting the line. While this is clearly written in the tone of YA/Teen it is maybe only appropriate for about 15+ due to the sex scenes and gore. Sarah Porter takes us into the realm of the Fae (without actually ever referencing fairies) that is far from all happy and delightful. Some things are easy: obtaining food, having clothing, no money needed, etc. While other things are harder: no real people, creepy fairies, mini versions of yoursel ...more
Amy Imogene Reads
4 stars

It's the nightmare in the corner of your eye when you're about to fall asleep. It's the daydream that starts out innocuous and turns sour before you realize your own train of thought. It's twisted, it's stunningly inventive in its nightmares, and the portrayal of its characters is unsettling for a purpose.Never-Contented Things is one of the darkest fantasies I've ever read—and it's not here to cater to any of your preconceptions.

Imagination: ★★★★★
Nightmare Quality: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★★
Chara
Ardent Reader
I tried, I really tried .....
But I couldn't get into the story line..
This doesn't catch my interest..
DNF @ 20%
😥
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
This ... is so bad wow I can't believe I just wasted three days of my life reading this Foster Incest plot with horrible Fae characters and the worst dialogue to ever be published.

RTC. Soon cause I need to rant about this stupid shit.
Ashlee » Library In The Country
I GOT AN ARC. YASSSSSS!
Stacee
Mar 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF at 34%

I don’t normally do books about faeries unless they have Holly Black’s name on them, but that cover and synopsis really sucked me in. And I’m not sure how to review this book.

This story was a struggle from the beginning. I had heard poor reviews from friends, but wanted to give it a try. Pretty much from the start, I could tell there was something off about the relationship about Ksenia and Josh...and yeah it’s absolutely what you’re thinking.

Plot wise, nothing made sense. I mean, I
Makenna Fournier
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranormal, arc, 2018, dnf
Considering this has been one of my most anticipated books lately, I did not think I would end up writing a review for it saying it was my most disappointing read of the year, yet here I am. I have honestly been putting off writing this review because I didn't want to, but now I have like 4 reviews to catch up on from the procrastination of this one, so I think it is time. And small disclaimer before I continue, I did not end up finishing this book, I had to DNF it after the first part, there wa ...more
Nastassja
Jan 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of surrealism and magical realism

Reading this book was a big challenge for me. First of all, I deceived myself by believing Never-Contended Things would be similar to The Wicked King. But Never-Contended Things is a story under an absolutely different sauce. It's a tale of two foster kids Josh and Ksenia, who love each other more than anything, bordering on obsession. Faeries are just a side dish to Josh's and Ksenia's story.

Secondly, if you look deeper you'll see a story of codependents and almost-incest, though Josh and Ksen

Jennifer Gaarder
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This E-Arc was provided to me by Tor Teen and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. These words are my own. Thank you!

Never-Contented ThingsBy Sarah Porter
Tor Teen, March 19, 2019
368 Pages, Kindle Edition
From Goodreads:
"Seductive. Cruel. Bored. Be wary of… Prince and his fairy courtiers are staggeringly beautiful, unrelentingly brutal, and exhausted by the tedium of the centuries ― until they meet foster-siblings Josh and Ksenia. Drawn in by their vivid emotions, undying love for each othe
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
This is how you do scary fairies.

I really enjoyed this, although it was hard to get through at times. 1) The subject matter was occasionally a trifle disturbing (not necessarily a bad thing). 2) The paragraphs tended to be long, with dense, flowery writing. The descriptions were probably my favorite thing about this book, and I can't fault the writing, however much it might have slowed down my eyes sometimes.

Having read several fairy books where the evil, cruel fairies are... not evil or cruel,
Elle♣
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
3 stars

*Thank you to the author and NetGalley for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

This book...makes me feel soconflicted. The premise is something that I am always drawn to - seductive and dangerous fae who like to play games. *cough* Cardan *cough*

And that's what I got. To some extent.

The book starts off strong, and I thought "This is great! I don't want to stop reading!" But somewhere along the line, everything became kind of...weak.

This book was staged as foll
Sarah Marie
Never-Contented Things by Sarah Porter

Ksenia and Josh are the odd foster kids who are a little two close for people who are being raised as siblings. When they encounter a Prince and his fairy in the forest where they usually drink and party, they are sucked into a dark and layered world of cruelty. Josh goes missing and Ksenia must pick up the pieces of his leaving. Lexie, their best friend, has to figure out what is going on and enter the dark world of the faeries to save her friends

Raquel Flockhart
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

DNF at 46%

I feel like I’ve been scammed. The synopsis of Never-Contented Things sells something that it’s not true: a fantasy story. So imagine my surprise when I started it and I found myself reading a contemporary book with magical realism elements. I don’t know who wrote the synopsis of this book, but they are misleading the readers. Because if I had known what I was really getting into, I wouldn’t have even requ
Sh3lly
Dec 17, 2019 marked it as wish-list
$2.99 on US Kindle, December 17, 2019

Everyone in the reviews is comparing this to Holly Black, but apparently they shouldn't have expected another Cruel Prince because this seems to be more creepy and lite on the fairies? I'm still intrigued. Whenever a bunch of people don't like something, that's my cue to add it to my TBR. ;)
Dark Sith Lordette Jennymort ♔
I dont know whether to laugh cry or rage right now.
Nora Eliana | Papertea & Bookflowers
Originally I was so excited for this book because I love fae. I love reading about them and when I requested this I was sooo in the mood for some good fae story. But then the very mixed reviews came in and I lost a bit of my interest.

Which was a good thing. I know this sounds weird, but hear me out. This story sounded like a book about fae. It isn't though. There are fae in here, but they don't really matter. Prince is barely in the book at all. They are but a clever way to have a closer look at
murphy ✌ (daydreamofalife)
3.5 / 5

The story is different now; that’s how it goes. You think you have a good hold on the thread, you think you can follow it, but then it twists and winds and knots in your hands and suddenly you’re on a path you never even knew existed.

Well! That was one hell of a ride. And before you ask; no, it was nothing like The Cruel Prince. I've seen a few comparisons between the two in other reviews, and can't help but wonder what some of y'all are smoking. Just kidding. Mostly. But really, besi
The Story Girl
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, netgalley, arc
"But what would we be, my darling Ksenia, if we could not spin love into webs far stronger than spider silk?"

Never-Contented Things is a dark tale about different kinds of love, infatuation, and the lengths a person would go to realize their obsession. And it's told from three different perspectives, all queer:

Ksenia Adderley, who is just days away from turning 18 and being turned out of her foster home that's she been living in for the last 6 years.
Josh, age 16. He had
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
I won't be officially rating this because I didn't finish it or read at least 70% of it.

Unfortunately, I could not finish this book. I really tried, I was so excited for a new fae book. This really barely had fae and I've been told it never mentions the word once all the way through the book by a reliable source. My biggest issue is there a lot discussion on incest between two foster siblings that grew up together. One is in a more care-taking role and tells the younger one to wait a bit longer
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
You can find this review and others on my blog shades of paper

Okay, I was so pumped to read this book, because lately I’ve been so obsessed with faeries and anything that have to do with them, so when I knew that this book was about faeries I immediately added it to my TBR, and it became one of my most anticipated releases of this year, and I have to say that it was so much different from what I expected.

The thing about this book was that when I initially picked it up, I expected a story like Th
Arielle Walker
Ok, I think I have forgiven the author for the nightmare (and not in a good sense) that was When I Cast Your Shadow. This was back to creepy-in-a-big-way but compulsively readable, more like Vassa in the Night. Twisty turney slippery slimy dark and scary, full-time horror with some wicked moments of inventiveness and startlingly good imagery.

Though I'm knocking a full star-and-a-half off at LEAST for Josh. Possibly more. (view spoiler)
Kelly Van Damme
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
If you’re looking for a story like The Cruel Prince you won’t find it here. This is a tale of faerie but it is not a Disney fairy-tale with beautiful magical creatures; the faerie are most definitely Unseelie, they are cruel, never-contented beings, far from human and out for the human blood and suffering on which they thrive. This story is chock-full of crazy, mind-boggling stuff and in my opinion, it leans closer to horror than to fantasy. Although the main characters Josh and Ksenia are teena ...more
Arybo ✨
I completely forgot to write the review! This does not mean that I did not like the book, on the contrary. I thought I had already written positive things and liked them the most. Hey, it means I can come back now, after a week, and see if the book is as good as I remembered it.
Let's start with the characters. The cast is very small, including young people who have close ties with each other. Not only they are particular teens, with their own personality, but they also have a particular bond bet

• Here There Are Monsters
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • The Waking Forest
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Virtue of Sin
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Bone Charmer (The Bone Charmer, #1)
  • Teeth in the Mist
  • The Bone Houses
  • Bloodleaf (Bloodleaf, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • White Stag (Permafrost, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • The Devouring Gray (The Devouring Gray #1)
  • Dream Keeper (The Dark Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • Echo North
I'm no longer checking goodreads. If you'd like to contact me, please write to wateryden (at) gmail (dot) com. Thank you!

I write stories that seem to me to be quite true enough for all practical purposes. Among them are VASSA IN THE NIGHT, THE LOST VOICES TRILOGY, and the forthcoming WHEN I CAST YOUR SHADOW and TENTACLE AND WING. Realism makes little sense to me and I experience more truth in the