Welcome! It looks like you still need
to set up your Goodreads account.
Start by marking “When Summer Ends: A Novel” as Want to Read:
When Summer Ends: A Novel

When Summer Ends: A Novel

Aiden Emerson is an all-star pitcher and the all-around golden boy of Riverton. Or at least he was, before he quit the team the last day of junior year without any explanation. How could he tell people he's losing his vision at seventeen?

Straight-laced Olivia thought she had life all figured out. But when her dream internship falls apart, her estranged mother comes back in
Published April 9th 2019 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about When Summer Ends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Summer Ends

Melanie

ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

“Why did we have to meet the summer before I move away?”

When Summer Ends is a really cute read that is going to be absolutely perfect for summer this year. This is a tale about two people learning who they are, and who they want to be, while also supporting one another, and maybe even falling for each other, too! But they also have to decide if this is just going to be a summer fling, because both of their lives are going to change
Jessica
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, teen-novels
I received an ARC of this book for free as part of a Storygram book tour.

I give this book 4.5 stars which rounds up to 5.

When I first started this book, I just thought it would be your typical YA summer romance book. Something generic and cliched. But it ended up exceeding my expectations and being so much more.

This book was so damn cute. Aiden and Olivia had such a cute relationship. Like that is the teen summer romance that I have always wanted. They were so good together and brought out the
Brittany
4 Stars!!
🌟🌟🌟🌟

This was such a cute and sweet read! It warmed my heart this winter- with its sunshine and summer feel.

In When Summer Ends, we follow two teenagers Aiden and Olivia - who discover how an unexpected turn of fate can bring new love to heal old wounds. I really enjoyed the characters and the book as a whole was just a quick fun read. The writing was simple and flowed nicely. The story was about how when you're in high school you think your life is headed in one direction but then so
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
I loved this adorable book!  The only bad thing was reading in the winter instead of summer.  It made me miss the warm weather even more.  I read Jessica's Love Songs & Other Lies and really enjoyed it, but I liked this one even more.

This book has two points of view.  Aiden and Olivia.  I liked both equally.

The book starts off with Olivia getting fitted for a bridesmaid dress for her boyfriend, Zander's, sister.  Olivia and Zander started off as friends and then started dating a couple year
Vicky Who Reads
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I actually loved this so much more than Love Songs & Other Lies! It reminds me of Sarah Dessen.
Jessica Pennington
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
"One of the 2 best books you've ever written." - My mom

Be sure to add my debut novel, Love Songs & Other Lies to your TBR, it's full of music, slow-burn romance, swoony boys in bands, and second chances!

If you're excited for WHEN SUMMER ENDS, be sure to follow me on Twitter and Instagram where I'll be sharing sneak peeks, inspiration, giveaways and more as it gets closer! And for the first shot at ARCs and behind-the-scenes news, sign up for my monthly newsletter!
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

When Summer Ends by Jessica Pennington is the perfect YA contemporary to kick off your spring reading. The Michigan beach town setting is the perfect backdrop for this sweet coming of age story. Also, the strong theme of family makes this book a really enjoyable read.

❀ BEACH TOWN SETTING

Jessica Pennington seems to have a knack for writing stories that feature settings that are perfect for a summer romance. The characters work at a popular tourist spot in Michigan,
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

DNF

Trigger warning: Suffering injuries from a sport. Till the point I read.

I received this E-ARC via Macmillan-Tor/Forge and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I read the authors debut and didn’t enjoy it. Still this one sounded promising and I wanted to give it a go. Unfortunately this author isn’t for me.

I didn’t care for the characters or the story. They seemed alright. But not enough to continue reading

This is a personal thing. Still recommend.

Princess
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Netgalley and Tor/Forge in exchange for my honest review. This was a sweet summer romance and I enjoyed it. There was parental trouble, ex boyfriend trouble and health angst. But in the end, two people who deserved each other found love. I thought everything wrapped up very nicely
☼Shannon☼
I'm really glad I was reading this when we had some rare sunshine because it made it feel like summer.

It was a cute romance and would make for a great summer read.
Jaime Arkin
I absolutely loved this. Such a wonderful story of family, friendship, love, and new beginnings... with a whole lot of swoon. Jessica Pennington is officially an auto buy author for me! I can’t wait to see what she writes next! Full review to come!
Kahea
***4 ‘Surprisingly Nice’ Stars***

This was a ‘surprisingly’ sweet, quick and ultimately fun character driven read that totally hooked me from page one and made it very hard for me to put to the side because I really wanted to see how things would end up for Aiden and Olivia, not only with their relationship, but to see who they’d become at the end of the summer.

Aiden and Olivia. It was hard not to like these two. Both are really good kids who fate, fickle biyatch that she is, has decided to tos
Mireille Chartier
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I was so delighted to be able to get an arc of When Summer Ends by Jessica Pennington. I am not a full fledged YA contemporary person, I’m sorry it’s true, I sometimes find it hard to relate to the characters and story.  BUUUTTTTT Jessica is an exception. I read Love Songs & Other Lies last summer and absolutely fell in love with it  and with Jessica's writing.

Aiden has always played baseball but when his eyesight starts to lessen it becomes clear to him that the future he thought all writte
Samantha (WLABB)
This went from being a summer of woe to a summer of OH for both Olivia and Aiden, and I really enjoyed having the opportunity to accompany them on this journey as they embraced their new beginnings.

• Pro: Pennington did a great job crafting these characters, because the empathy flowed instantly from me for both Aiden and Olivia. They were dealing with some big changes, and I was glad they had each other for support. I did think the stakes were a little higher for Aiden, but I also thought he wa
Alison Morquecho
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I received this e-book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have so much love for this book I can't contain it. Honestly, I really just want to talk about how much I love this book in a million different ways, but I'm sure you would get totally tired of it by the 20th reason. Seriously though, this book was amazing. It blew me away. I read it in 2 sittings, and it was really hard for me to not just stay up all night and read it. This book had everything you need for a perfect contem
Jessica
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-netgalley, ya
A cute book that has me ready for summer. I liked the premise. It was a nice, fluffy book without too much emotion or heaviness attached.
However, in the same breath, I could say there wasn't enough emotion attached. I didn't really care that much about whether Olivia moved or not, or whether she ended up with Aiden or Zander. I mean, it kept my attention and kept me turning the page, but not with an avid desperation to find out what happened.
The story is told from two perspectives, that of Oliv
Maria
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review"
This is an engaging story with two adorable young people, each facing their own challenges. Aiden is just an awesome hero, not at all the stereotypical star pitcher, as the author gradually shows us. Olivia is a great heroine, too.
The slow build up of their relationship feels authentic and their HEA is well deserved.
I would have liked to have seen a more thoroughly explanation about Aiden’s vision problem; after finishing the book, I
Lourdes
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved, Loved, Loved! This was such a sweet treat from characters to all the summer vibes.

Review to follow.

here is my review of Love Songs & Other lies - https://chapterswelove.com/2018/05/15...
Marie
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much Jessica for sending me an arc! I adored the story, it gave me all the feels. In the end I was balling my eyes out but I was also smiling from ear to ear. I really enjoy the two POV from Olivia and Aiden. This was such a fun, summer read and made me really want to go visit Michigan!
Kimberly Sabatini
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-ya
This story was adorable and sweet, but still a page-turner. I loved Olivia and Aiden from the start, but together they fit like puzzle pieces. The setting was rich and the characters had depth. If you like Sarah Dessen and Kasie West--you're going to want to read this one as soon as you can--I can't wait for the next Pennington novel.
KarenJo Custodio
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This precious book absolutely warmed my heart and left such a big smile on my face! When Summer Ends by Jessica Pennington was the perfect cozy beach read and I was smitten with writing, the adorable characters, and the beautiful sceneries.

Here’s a little confession – I was approved for Love Song and Other Lies through Netgalley when I first started writing reviews and got a little carried away requesting for all the books I wanted to read. I never expected to get approved for so many and then
Megan Leprich
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you so much to Macmillan-Tor and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I tried really really hard to like this book. It sounded like the perfect summer read with some parental problems and health problems thrown in to the mix. But it honestly fell short for me. I couldn’t get into the story and honestly questioned a couple of times why I was still reading it.

Olivia’s mom has never really been in the picture so she’s lived with her Aunt since
Nicole
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you ever just read a book, and it just totally works and makes sense.. you're able to relate to it on so many different levels? This novel was that for me.

I loved this novel; seeing sunsets and giant goldfish <3 (you will understand once you read). It was equal parts, heartbreak and learning to love yourself, letting go of past hurts, leaping into the future and just living day by day.

Liv is such a likeable main character. She is very much in her head and worries about things she can't co
Helena Summers
Reseña en español aquí

Even though I don’t usually read romance novels, the synopsis of this one immediately caught my eye for dealing with themes like parental neglect and vision loss. It also looked like the perfect book for one of those times when I want a lighter and happier read that’ll leave me with a good feeling, so as soon as that time came, I started to read it very excited. Unfortunately, When Summer Ends only accomplished half of my expectations.

Let’s start with the positive part: i
Colleen's Conclusions
I really enjoyed reading this book. I used to live in Michigan by Lake Erie, so the Michigan summer aspect of this gave me all of the memories from the summers I had growing up. One of the misgivings I had with this book was that I did have to put it down for a bit because I wasn’t quite in the mood for this book yet and it wasn’t the right time to read it yet so I had to find something else to read. It wasn’t anything to do with the author or the way the book was written, but that is mostly why ...more
Dalene
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

I feel like YA novels don't get the credit that they deserve sometimes. YA novels, especially romance ones, leaves the reader with a happy feeling. The books tend to wrap up nicely and everyone is happy. That is how it was with When Summer Ends. When Summer Ends was my first Jessica Pennington book, but it won't be my last. I enjoyed reading Olivia and Aiden's story. Olivia has her perfect life until it all comes crashing down. Now working at
Melissa
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was cute, in that super cute YA summer novel type thing. If you're a fan of all the boys I've loved before, you will probably like it. There were some holes near the end, of things that I wish I knew happened or turned out but overall I would recommend it to someone looking for a quick, nice and easy contemporary story.

The only downside is I wanted a little bit more to the story, when I ended I was like wait what? I needed more of these characters in my life@ But the story can be real
Sarah K
3.5/5 stars!

Super cute summer romance story.

I loved the Michigan beach town summer setting! As someone from Michigan, it’s exactly something you’d see and it was charming!

Aiden has an eye disease (shared with the author) which was nice to see some rep for this in a book. Because of it he’s unable to drive or play baseball anymore, but he’s able to pursue his love of art.

Olivia has been basically deserted by mom and deals with rejection and situations out of her control.

Olivia gets a job at a c
DJ
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Copy provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really loved When Summer Ends. It was a smart, fun and heartwarming contemporary read. Olivia was a lot of fun and I LOVED Aiden. I really enjoyed watching their friendship blossom. My favorite contemporaries are the ones where you root for the couples. When Summer Ends is definitely an example of where you need these two to work out!
Jamie Lee Zonneveld
When Summer Ends is a lovely sweet romance about to almost seniors. Aiden and Olivia know each other for years, because Olivia's boyfriend is a part of the same baseball team as Austin. Each struggling with their own problems they decide the live the summer by chance.

I loved this book. It was sweet and I loved Aiden and Olivia. The writing was also very good. This was my first Jessica Peddington book but after this one it certainly won't be my last.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Eyes on Me
  • Start Here
  • Call It What You Want
  • Better Than the Best Plan
  • All the Walls of Belfast
  • The Quiet You Carry
  • The Deceivers (Vale Hall, #1)
  • Virtually Yours
  • Three Little Words (Bridesmaids Behaving Badly #3)
  • Small Town Hearts
  • If You're Out There
  • The Fearless King (The Kings, #2)
  • Before the Dawn
  • Serious Moonlight
  • Just For Clicks
  • Girls of July
  • In Another Life
  • The Sound of Drowning
Jessica Pennington is no stranger to the combination of love and drama. She’s a wedding planner, after all. A writer since the age of ten—when she sought publication for her poem about a tree—Jessica likes the challenge of finding the humor in a sad situation or highlighting the awkwardness in a romantic one. She lives in a Michigan beach town suspiciously similar to the one in her novel, with her ...more
“This is our thing now, right? Letting chance decide?” 2 likes
“If someone rescues someone, the reader expects that one of three things will happen.

What are the three things?

Right. Well, they can become best friends, they can fall in love, or...they'll end up killing them.

Which of the three do you think happens for us?

We'll have to wait and see I guess. But I'm really hoping I don't kill you; I look horrible in orange.”
2 likes