Start by marking “When Summer Ends” as Want to Read:
When Summer Ends

When Summer Ends

Aiden Emerson is an all-star pitcher and the all-around golden boy of Riverton. Or at least he was, before he quit the team the last day of junior year without any explanation. How could he tell people he's losing his vision at seventeen?

Straight-laced Olivia thought she had life all figured out. But when her dream internship falls apart, her estranged mother comes back in
Published April 9th 2019 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about When Summer Ends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Summer Ends

Start your review of When Summer Ends
Melanie

ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

“Why did we have to meet the summer before I move away?”

When Summer Ends is a really cute read that is going to be absolutely perfect for summer this year. This is a tale about two people learning who they are, and who they want to be, while also supporting one another, and maybe even falling for each other, too! But they also have to decide if this is just going to be a summer fling, because both of their lives are going to
Jessica
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen-novels, romance
I received an ARC of this book for free as part of a Storygram book tour.

I give this book 4.5 stars which rounds up to 5.

When I first started this book, I just thought it would be your typical YA summer romance book. Something generic and cliched. But it ended up exceeding my expectations and being so much more.

This book was so damn cute. Aiden and Olivia had such a cute relationship. Like that is the teen summer romance that I have always wanted. They were so good together and brought out the
Brittany
4 Stars!!
🌟🌟🌟🌟

This was such a cute and sweet read! It warmed my heart this winter- with its sunshine and summer feel.

In When Summer Ends, we follow two teenagers Aiden and Olivia - who discover how an unexpected turn of fate can bring new love to heal old wounds. I really enjoyed the characters and the book as a whole was just a quick fun read. The writing was simple and flowed nicely. The story was about how when you're in high school you think your life is headed in one direction but then so
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
I loved this adorable book!  The only bad thing was reading in the winter instead of summer.  It made me miss the warm weather even more.  I read Jessica's Love Songs & Other Lies and really enjoyed it, but I liked this one even more.

This book has two points of view.  Aiden and Olivia.  I liked both equally.

The book starts off with Olivia getting fitted for a bridesmaid dress for her boyfriend, Zander's, sister.  Olivia and Zander started off as friends and then started dating a couple years ag
Vicky Again
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I actually loved this so much more than Love Songs & Other Lies! It reminds me of Sarah Dessen.
Jessica Pennington
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
"One of the 2 best books you've ever written." - My mom

If you love summery books with lots of swoon, be sure to add my other books to your TBR!
Meet Me at Midnight by Jessica Pennington Love Songs & Other Lies by Jessica Pennington

For all of the latest news like excerpt reveals, pre-order campaigns, and inside info on my upcoming books, be sure to JOIN MY NEWSLETTER! I'm usually drowning in work, so now worries about me spamming your inbox--you can expect to get my "monthly" newsletter 2-6 times a year, and I ALWAYS include a giveaway.
Princess
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Netgalley and Tor/Forge in exchange for my honest review. This was a sweet summer romance and I enjoyed it. There was parental trouble, ex boyfriend trouble and health angst. But in the end, two people who deserved each other found love. I thought everything wrapped up very nicely
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

When Summer Ends by Jessica Pennington is the perfect YA contemporary to kick off your spring reading. The Michigan beach town setting is the perfect backdrop for this sweet coming of age story. Also, the strong theme of family makes this book a really enjoyable read.

❀ BEACH TOWN SETTING

Jessica Pennington seems to have a knack for writing stories that feature settings that are perfect for a summer romance. The characters work at a popular tourist spot in Michigan,
Mireille Chartier
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I was so delighted to be able to get an arc of When Summer Ends by Jessica Pennington. I am not a full fledged YA contemporary person, I’m sorry it’s true, I sometimes find it hard to relate to the characters and story.  BUUUTTTTT Jessica is an exception. I read Love Songs & Other Lies last summer and absolutely fell in love with it  and with Jessica's writing.

Aiden has always played baseball but when his eyesight starts to lessen it becomes clear to him that the future he thought all written ou
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

DNF

Trigger warning: Suffering injuries from a sport. Till the point I read.

I received this E-ARC via Macmillan-Tor/Forge and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I read the authors debut and didn’t enjoy it. Still this one sounded promising and I wanted to give it a go. Unfortunately this author isn’t for me.

I didn’t care for the characters or the story. They seemed alright. But not enough to continue reading

This is a personal thing. Still recommend.

Stephanie
A cute, summertime read. I liked the romance and the characters - though Olivia did annoy me sometimes. One thing that kind of seemed odd to me was that the story was told in alternating 1st person POV and it would sometimes change several times in one chapter. Which isn't that big of a deal, but sometimes it would only be for a couple paragraphs at a time before switching back. I just didn't really see the purpose in it. And since both voices sounded exactly the same, maybe this would have been ...more
Jaime Arkin
I absolutely loved this. Such a wonderful story of family, friendship, love, and new beginnings... with a whole lot of swoon. Jessica Pennington is officially an auto buy author for me! I can’t wait to see what she writes next! Full review to come!
☼Shannon☼
I'm really glad I was reading this when we had some rare sunshine because it made it feel like summer.

It was a cute romance and would make for a great summer read.
Kahea
***4 ‘Surprisingly Nice’ Stars***

This was a ‘surprisingly’ sweet, quick and ultimately fun character driven read that totally hooked me from page one and made it very hard for me to put to the side because I really wanted to see how things would end up for Aiden and Olivia, not only with their relationship, but to see who they’d become at the end of the summer.

Aiden and Olivia. It was hard not to like these two. Both are really good kids who fate, fickle biyatch that she is, has decided to t
Marie
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg I can not wait to get this book!!!

Merged review:

Thank you so much Jessica for sending me an arc! I adored the story, it gave me all the feels. In the end I was balling my eyes out but I was also smiling from ear to ear. I really enjoy the two POV from Olivia and Aiden. This was such a fun, summer read and made me really want to go visit Michigan!
Lourdes
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved, Loved, Loved! This was such a sweet treat from characters to all the summer vibes.

Review to follow.

here is my review of Love Songs & Other lies - https://chapterswelove.com/2018/05/15...
Melissa ~ Missy (FrayedBooks)
read this and more reviews on Frayed Books:

I just realized we're in the last week of August and I still have SO MANY summer contemporary romances I want to read, cue panic mode! So I decided to pick up this title which I've been meaning to read - and I know the end of summer isn't the end of August, but that's still how it feels, even though I'm no longer in school.

Likes
This was such a cute summer contemporary YA romance book, exactly what I was looking for! T
Jessica
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-netgalley, ya
A cute book that has me ready for summer. I liked the premise. It was a nice, fluffy book without too much emotion or heaviness attached.
However, in the same breath, I could say there wasn't enough emotion attached. I didn't really care that much about whether Olivia moved or not, or whether she ended up with Aiden or Zander. I mean, it kept my attention and kept me turning the page, but not with an avid desperation to find out what happened.
The story is told from two perspectives, that of Oliv
Samantha (WLABB)
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This went from being a summer of woe to a summer of OH for both Olivia and Aiden, and I really enjoyed having the opportunity to accompany them on this journey as they embraced their new beginnings.

• Pro: Pennington did a great job crafting these characters, because the empathy flowed instantly from me for both Aiden and Olivia. They were dealing with some big changes, and I was glad they had each other for support. I did think the stakes were a little higher for Aiden, but I also thought he wa
Melanie  Brinkman
This summer it's time to take a chance.

Life doesn't always go the way you plan it. Aiden played baseball, until he couldn't. The thing he fears most is slowly changing everything he knows. Olivia thought summer would be glorious, but then her dream internship falls through, her estranged mother appears once more, and her boyfriend ghosts her. When the two teens meet working together at the River Depot, they decide to live the next three months by the fragility of a coin flip. Embarking on unknow
Rebekah
Aug 14, 2020 rated it liked it
1 Sentence Summary: Olivia’s long-term boyfriend just broke up with her, her estranged mother is back in town, and her aunt is moving to Arizona at the end of the summer; Aidan just quit baseball, ugly rumors are going around town about him, and his vision is deteriorating; when they both end up working together at the River Depot, maybe the summer won’t end up being so bad after all.

My Thoughts: Maybe I’ve just been reading too many YA romances recently, but yeah this was just okay. Idk, I just
Maria
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review"
This is an engaging story with two adorable young people, each facing their own challenges. Aiden is just an awesome hero, not at all the stereotypical star pitcher, as the author gradually shows us. Olivia is a great heroine, too.
The slow build up of their relationship feels authentic and their HEA is well deserved.
I would have liked to have seen a more thoroughly explanation about Aiden’s vision problem; after finishing the book, I
Sionna
*I voluntarily read and reviewed and ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. *

This book is sweet, cute, and perfect for summer. Since heat tends to kill my brain cells, anything easy to read and understand are good summer books for me, and this one fit the bill. Unfortunately, I also never felt really invested into the book.

I did like the main characters for the most part. They are thrown into a whirlwind of change and are trying to figure out what that will mean, while
Alison Morquecho
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I received this e-book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have so much love for this book I can't contain it. Honestly, I really just want to talk about how much I love this book in a million different ways, but I'm sure you would get totally tired of it by the 20th reason. Seriously though, this book was amazing. It blew me away. I read it in 2 sittings, and it was really hard for me to not just stay up all night and read it. This book had everything you need for a perfect contem
Hélène Louise
May 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
After a good beginning this book was a deception. I couldn’t even finish it properly and skimmed throught the last twenty per cent.
I really liked the premises, liked the ideas, liked what the characters were about to be. But the more and more I read, the more baffled I was. The story, if a bit slow, was interesting – or should have been. What was happening?

To be sure I was rather annoyed by the very rapid changes of point of view (not every chapter but every few pages, every paragraph sometimes
Christy
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jessica Pennington's books are full of feels and depth and just total swoon. I loved When Summer Ends because...

- Dual POV. I love that we get the story through Aiden and Olivia.
- Summer romance. What is it about slow burn summer romances that make them so fun?
- River Depot. Jessica's worldbuilding for this charming community is so fun, and added to with her postcard preorder gift!
- Feels feels and more feels. Not just about the romance, either. There were family dynamics and concerns about pas
Kimberly Sabatini
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-ya
This story was adorable and sweet, but still a page-turner. I loved Olivia and Aiden from the start, but together they fit like puzzle pieces. The setting was rich and the characters had depth. If you like Sarah Dessen and Kasie West--you're going to want to read this one as soon as you can--I can't wait for the next Pennington novel.
Katy Upperman
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m a super fan of Jessica Pennington’s books! I adored her debut and had super high expectations for WHEN SUMMER ENDS. It totally delivered! I adored the two main characters; their romance was sweet and believable, full of swoony moments and self-discovery. Pick this one up to read at the pool or beach this summer!
Katie Kaleski
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This was a sweet story that I read in one sitting. It was a bit slow, but it’s one of those quiet kind of books, so it works. The setting is well done and the story had moments that gave me light heart flutters and smiles.
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog

• How the Light Gets In
  • Cold Day in the Sun
  • Four Days of You and Me
  • Stealing Home
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • Eyes on Me
  • You'd Be Mine
  • Hearts Made for Breaking
  • On Thin Ice (Juniper Falls #3)
  • Say Yes Summer
  • I Hate You, Fuller James
  • Just a Boy and a Girl in a Little Canoe
  • How to Speak Boy
  • What I Like About You
Jessica Pennington is no stranger to the combination of love and drama. She’s a wedding planner, after all. A writer since the age of ten—when she sought publication for her poem about a tree—Jessica likes the challenge of finding the humor in a sad situation or highlighting the awkwardness in a romantic one. She lives in a Michigan beach town suspiciously similar to the one in her novel, with her ...more