Jump to ratings and reviews

They All Fall Down

It was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime.

Delighted by a surprise invitation, Miriam Macy sails off to a luxurious private island off the coast of Mexico, with six strangers—an ex-cop, a chef, a financial advisor, a nurse, a lawyer, a young widow.

Surrounded by miles of open water in the gloriously green Sea of Cortez, Miriam is shocked to discover that she and the rest of her companions have been brought to the remote island under false pretenses—and all seven strangers harbor a secret.

Danger lurks in the lush forest and in the halls and bedrooms of the lonely mansion. Sporadic cell-phone coverage and miles of ocean keeps the group trapped in paradise. And strange accidents keep them suspicious of each other, as one by one . . .

They all fall down

320 pages, Hardcover

First published April 9, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Rachel Howzell Hall

21 books1,310 followers
RACHEL HOWZELL HALL l is the critically acclaimed author and Los Angeles Times Book Prize finalist for And Now She’s Gone, which was also nominated for the Lefty-, Barry-, Shamus- and Anthony Awards and the Audible Originals bestseller How It Ends. A New York Times bestselling author of The Good Sister with James Patterson, Rachel is an Anthony-, International Thriller Writers- and Lefty Award nominee and the author of They All Fall Down, Land of Shadows, Skies of Ash, Trail of Echoes and City of Saviors in the Detective Elouise Norton series. Her next thriller, These Toxic Things, out in September 2021, recently received a starred review from Publishers Weekly, calling the novel ‘cleverly-plotted’ and ‘a refreshing take on the serial killer theme.’

Rachel is a former member of the board of directors for Mystery Writers of America and has been a featured writer on NPR’s acclaimed Crime in the City series and the National Endowment for the Arts weekly podcast; she has also served as a mentor in Pitch Wars and the Association of Writers Programs. Rachel lives in Los Angeles with her husband and daughter. For more information, visit www.rachelhowzell.com

Her next novel And Now She’s Gone will be published in September 2020. You can find her at www.rachelhowzell.com and on Twitter @RachelHowzell.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1,113 (25%)
1 star
387 (8%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 737 reviews
Profile Image for megs_bookrack.
1,425 reviews9,005 followers
October 22, 2022
**DNF at 20%**

That's it. I am pulling the plug on this one. Life is too short.

Silver lining: I am glad I gave this one a shot. I never would have known otherwise, but yeah, this did not work for me.

I don't know what's happening and I don't care. Goodbye.

Original:

This giving me heavy And Then There Were None vibes...

I'll bite.
Profile Image for Fareya.
238 reviews854 followers
May 3, 2019
Okay, that was disappointing! Let me make it clear first that I am totally in support of retellings and adaptations of classics, and it's always fun to read a familiar book with a slightly different take and twists of its own. And Then There Were None is one of my favorite books by Agatha Christie, and They All Fall Down is its adaptation, so I was very excited for it.

The premise and the prologue are both excellent, the setting of a remote island off the Mexican mainland was well done, there is some funny banter in between as well, and the newspaper clippings was a nice touch, but that's about it.

Throughout the book, the writing felt jagged, I was hoping for a smoother delivery but it was choppy. I found the narrator Miriam to be highly irritating, and at times I couldn't stand being inside her head. I also felt, the other six characters were very hurriedly introduced that got confusing and I couldn't keep track of who's who later. The story dragged up until the halfway mark, then felt very rushed and the conclusion was just okay. I easily guessed the killer and also how that first kill happened. Towards the end I couldn't wait for it all to just be over. So, overall, I found this to be pretty underwhelming.

However, I know a few friends have really enjoyed this, so I'll say read a few positive reviews and decide if you'd like to give this one a go. Sadly, it didn't work for me.

"A free finished copy was provided by Booksparks as part of their Winter Reading Challenge #WRC2019. All opinions are my own."
Profile Image for La Tonya  Jordan.
278 reviews88 followers
December 5, 2020
This is a riveting story of how far one will go to right the wrongs in society. A.Nanci has invited seven people to a private island in Mexico, for the weekend, under the disguise of a gift giveaway of large sums of money. After it is revealed this actually is a memorial service for their lawyer Phillip Omeke, the true characters of his clients are unraveled. Also, his will may have left them with more money than the advertised competition. One by one their crimes are told by newspaper excerpts with each clients defense and demise.

Mictlan Island comes alive with sounds from the jungle, death's-head hawk-moths, croaking frogs, snakes, thunder, lighting, and fog. In the beautiful Artemis estate will they all fall down and how? Read this page turner to find out.

Quotes

A sick man. A country chick. A shaggy nurse. A cokehead cook. An uppity banker. And a mass shooter. My competition, ladies and gentlemen.

Wallace squinted at the cop. "You are something else, Edward. Truly."

The fog kept me blind, wrapping around tree trunks and slithering up into leaves.
Profile Image for Sara the Librarian.
730 reviews305 followers
May 1, 2019
Some things, as my dear friend the witch says in "Into the Woods," are not to be touched. I can see how this seemed like a good idea on paper. Classics are classics for a reason and they don't get much more classic than Dame Agatha's brilliant And Then There Were None. Its like the whodunnit origin story. Eight strangers lured to a deserted island under false pretenses by a mysterious would be benefactor only to find themselves on trial for their lives. Its the original bait and switch with your perceptions of all the characters shifting on a dime as hero's become villains and everything you thought you understood about the story being totally upended in a final, jaw dropping reveal. Its deftly plotted and perfectly executed. The perfect mystery. And in this day and age that basically means its "perfect" for a reboot.

Because isn't everything guys?

But while she could construct a mystery like nobody's business Christie also had an unparalleled gift for character. Everyone in the story, even the supposed hero, is just totally twisted in one way or another. They're all a veritable smorgasbord of sins. Lust and envy and greed and rage all caged on an island they can't escape. They've all committed terrible crimes but none of them, not even the most vile, are straight up mustache twisting evil doers. They've killed for love or out of desperation, they're good people who made bad choices, or got in over their heads or hurt the wrong people or went right when they should have gone left. They're layered and fascinating and full of hidden motives that Christie only reveals at just the right moment.

Its hard, I'd venture to say impossible, to duplicate that kind of story telling and character building much less improve on it.

So I can't say I'm hugely surprised that this attempt at updating what really is the quintessential mystery novel falls more than a little flat. Maybe its because I'm just a very jaded mystery reader with a fixation on true crime who's seen one too many "Cold Case Files" and listened to one too many podcasts but nothing about this made an impact.

Our narrator is a duplicitous dance mom who's down on her luck following a nasty divorce and some questionable, but initially unrevealed shenanigans involving a teenage dancer who was bullying her daughter. When she gets the invitation to appear on a reality show with the chance to win millions, clear her name, and regain her daughters trust she jumps.

Of course there is no reality show and the other participants are soon revealed to have been lured to the island with false promises as well. Finally its revealed that they've been tricked into attending a weekend long memorial for a lawyer who, at one time or another, had helped them all out of difficult circumstances.

Then, of course, everyone starts dying.

I don't know I just couldn't get into this. Every character is just point blank awful. I hated them all and couldn't have cared less when they bit it. Nor could I really keep track of them. The motivation for it all, when it is revealed, is your garden variety puppet master making up for past wrongs with none of the secret maliciousness of Christie's original killer.

Our heroine, Miriam, is entirely detestable. I don't know if I was supposed to root for her to somehow escape, but she's so utterly awful from page one with her bitchy, "I tell it like is" voice and her utterly awful crimes that I didn't spare even a second on any sympathy for her regardless of the reasons for her actions. Her fellow "hidden" criminals are equally one note and again the reveal is not so much a breathless showstopper as it is a slow, wheezing sputter across the finish line.

This just isn't worth it at all. Read the original.
Profile Image for Brittany McCann.
1,470 reviews379 followers
March 30, 2022
Unfortunately, this one went from bad to worse for me. I highly recommend AGAINST the audio version.

I randomly picked this one up at the library when I needed something new to listen to in the car and was on hold for some other choices. I love a good mystery, and this had some mystery. I definitely wouldn't call it a thriller since I didn't feel thrilled at any time while reading it.

I don't want to book bash or be too harsh. Suffice to say, the narrator was a poor choice, and the story didn't hold up enough to overcome that. If I weren't in so many reading challenges, I would have just taken this one out and chalked it up to a loss, but I pushed through to the end.

I was not too fond of it.. which goes in the 1-star category for the Goodreads rating system.
Profile Image for Fiona.
1,189 reviews216 followers
April 15, 2019
I, too, had waited for something magical to happen in my life. I thought it had been meeting Billy, then marrying Billy. I thought it had been giving birth to Morgan, but then... no. When would it happen, that something magical? On this island, maybe? Maybe.

Of all the novels published by Agatha Christie, And Then There Were None has been the most adapted. What is it, exactly, that calls us so much towards the concept of terrible people isolated and left to determine their own fates? Whatever it is, it's proved a winner - spawning endless TV series, and I believe planting the spark for such juggernauts as Battle Royale and The Hunger Games.

So with such a huge crowd of inspired bys and adaptations of, was there a place for a new novel to join their ranks? In my opinion, absolutely. There's comfort in knowing how the story has gone before, and a wealth of new discovery when you wait to see what a new storyteller has brought to the table. And Rachel Howzell Hall knocks it right out of the park! Her characters are superb. It's hard to write a three-dimensional set of thoroughly unpleasant people, but they absolutely were - just like real life, people don't just act badly in a vacuum. No, instead they have a range of motivations; from the enthusiastic and overly drugged up, to the mentally ill, to the fantasist convinced everyone would understand if they would just let them tell the real story.

It's not perfect, there's some very lightning-fast changes of tone and emotion that could have used slowing down a touch, especially in the charged situations these people find themselves in. Some characters didn't get the "screen time" they deserved, and it wouldn't have hurt the book to give it. But it's a very solid novel, thoroughly entertaining and exactly what I wanted going in.
Profile Image for Chris.
609 reviews15 followers
June 16, 2019
I was expecting Sooooo much more but it didn’t happen.

Mediocre tale of 7 Americans with a questionable legal past travel to Mexico under a false guise of being in a contest/live entertainment for an ultimate prize.

Each has secrets and their lawyer who had died earlier, had hand picked this particular bunch of people for his own selfish reasons/retaliation. He secured the location and people and worked out the background and details of this little post Morten scheme to play out according to his will.

Ahh, but if you thought these selected folks had issues, Mr. Attorney had issues too that he he could not reveal in real life, but was able to carry out in death.

It’s kind of a cat and mouse game;people are all acting weird; who can you trust? And people starting turning up dead - quickly.

This scene all happens on a remote island, so basically, there’s no one to call for help; no boats or other people can be seen. It’s all a good premise, if it had been written better. There was no real suspense or excitement. The parts that could have been outstandingly exciting and terrorizing, were alas, “meh.”

A quick read. I was hoping and waiting for more, but it didn’t produce, so on to my next book...
Profile Image for Amanda Hupe.
953 reviews53 followers
March 29, 2020
I bought this book after I met Rachel Howzell Hall at the Festival of Books in LA last year. I absolutely loved listening to her talk about her writing process with the other authors at the panel. They All Fall Down has been sitting on my shelf since then and I was finally able to pick it up. Miriam Macy is trying to turn her life around. Her family is her life, yet they are at odds with each other. Things start looking up when she is invited to a tropical paradise game-show. She is there with six other strangers. When they get to the island, they discover that their invitation is not what it seems. All the guests have terrible secrets. These secrets destroy and not many will make it out alive.

I got a definite Agatha Christie vibe from this book. Sadly, it wasn’t executed that well. I love the secrets, the suspense, and how the secrets unfold. Unfortunately, the plot just doesn’t flow smoothly. The information tends to jump around. Not only that but the dialogue is very awkward. Subjects change randomly. This really slows down the pace. I also was not a huge fan of the characters, even though their secrets were fascinating. The characters are just flat. I wanted more. Even though, Miriam did add a little humor to the mix. I just wish it flowed smoothly.

The ending is pretty predictable from the beginning. I really wanted to love this book. Even though this book had its shortcomings, I will definitely try another one of her books. In fact, I hear her Detective series is fantastic. So I will add those to my TBR. I rate this book 2 out of 5 stars.
Profile Image for Michael David (on hiatus).
618 reviews1,451 followers
August 31, 2019
While this Agatha Christie homage kept me entertained, it was definitely a bit of a letdown. Nasty characters, odd writing, and dark humor that didn't fit. It is by no means a bad book, but a bit disappointing given the synopsis.
Profile Image for Rukky.
206 reviews44 followers
September 12, 2019

*Miriam. I really liked how Miriam seemed like an okay person who just did a few wrong things. But by the end of the book, I despised her and half wished that she would pay for her crimes, while I also half wished that she could get a second chance to learn from her mistake. She’s also a very unreliable narrator which made it hard to discern whether she was telling the truth, or she was sugar-coating or lying about whatever she said.

*Plot and Setting. The plot was okay. Slow at the start, but once things picked up, most of it didn’t slow down. There were parts which were boring, and others which were exciting. The setting definitely helped enhance the story and added an extra level of despair for the characters.

*Ending and twist. The ending shocked me, and I don’t want to spoil it by telling why. There was a twist that I did not see coming, and the way things ended was brutal but also realistic. A few people have said that this is like Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None, but I haven’t read it, and I think that made me enjoy TAFD more since I wasn’t comparing the two.

*Characters and their pasts. I think this aspect was rushed and not done well, especially with Wallace. There was a lot of reveals happening at once, and a bit of info-dumping which helped increase the shock factor, but also took away from the thriller aspect because I spent a few minutes trying to process what I’d just read.

*Miriam’s POV. It was a bit annoying and hard to be in Miriam’s head the entire time because she constantly tried to portray herself as the victim, while she was also not what she seemed. The way that she also only cared about money and was really self-centered made it even worse.

I liked this, I would recommend it, and I hope you enjoy it if you read it! Miriam can be annoying, the plot was at first slow and then a bit choppy, but in the end, the twist and revelations saved the book for me. After reviewing it however, I think I’m going to give this 3.5 stars rounded up instead of 4.

One sentence summary: An okay thriller with an interesting plot and an unreliable narrator.

Overall, 3.5 stars rounded up to 4

★★★★☆

Follow me for more reviews! Blog | Goodreads | Reedsy
Profile Image for Sarah.
783 reviews
December 6, 2019
I was so excited to read Rachel Howzell Hall's take on And Then There Were None, and she did not disappoint! I've only read her Lou Norton series previously, and this was something completely different, but with the same quality that makes her other books so gripping.

Miriam Macy receives an invitation to participate in a reality show on an island in Mexico, which conveniently gives her the chance to escape her circumstances at home. But things on the island are not what she expected, and soon people start dying... Miriam is no Lou Norton--she's kind of terrible in a lot of ways, but so is everyone else on the island, and whatever else she is, she's a compelling character, and I was completely engrossed as the tension kept escalating.

If you've read the Agatha Christie novel, a lot of the twists won't come as a shock to you, but still, this is a really fantastic take on the story. It's dark and twisted, and I enjoyed every second of it.

*Used for PopSugar 2019 Reading Challenge prompt "A retelling of a classic."
Profile Image for WhiskeyintheJar.
1,255 reviews518 followers
October 6, 2021

Best of an island is once you get there—you can’t go any further … you’ve come to the end of things.
AGATHA CHRISTIE, AND THEN THERE WERE NONE

This is supposed to be inspired by/reimagining of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, I've never read that book, so I can't speak to any of that. I can speak to my own likes and dislikes and I greatly disliked the style and structure of the writing and story. It's in first person pov, not my favorite but I can handle it, but what I couldn't handle was the stream of consciousness writing paired with an unreliable narrator. Both are styles and techniques that I struggle with, if you don't have the same dislike, your mileage would greatly vary and be better than mine with this book.

We Have a Winner!

Our pov character is Miriam and she is getting ready to take off to vacation on an island off Mexico, Mictlan Island. She won a vacation through her email and will be joining six other contestants on a reality tv show competition. The whole thing isn't quite clear and Miriam must not have watched as many horror movies as me because she doesn't see anything wrong with surprise free vacations to islands off Mexico. But, the author does set-up Miriam as a woman looking for an escape. It's murky in the beginning but Miriam is recently divorced (caught her husband cheating on her with their daughter's ballet teacher), just was found not guilty in a bullying case that involved a high school girl who was bullying her daughter, is an unreliable narrator to us, the reader, and in her own life, and has lost her job. Yeah, Miriam's life is a mess.

We meet the other six contestants when she gets down to Mexico and they take the boat to the island that is 40miles away and has spotty wi-fi and phone service. The first 50% was all about getting Miriam to the island and introducing us to the characters but the stream of consciousness writing, Miriam having, quick, but annoying (to me, anyway), additive comments about their clothing or some such, her job was writing short fun copy for luxury items on second hand websites, made the first half feel chaotic and dragged out in pointlessness all at the same time. If you're looking for characters to like, root for, or even intriguing, I don't think you're going to find them here. The author even put in her acknowledgments that she wrote a story about awful people. I don't have a problem reading about awful characters but they all were that way and the story structure of personal dislikes didn't make up for it.

Detective Giorgio Hurley had left me a voicemail: “Ms. Macy, hi. Just checking in with you. We need to talk, either at your home or here at the station. Sounds like there was some type of altercation last night? Sounds like folks were hurt, you included? Sounds like—”

50% is when we get our first murder and from there on out its pretty fast paced, because of how slow the first half was, felt manic when bodies started dropping like flies. Miriam and the other six learn that the reality tv contest and lure of winning money was all a ruse and they were actually brought there by their lawyer. The lawyer got them all off on their cases but apparently had a come to Jesus moment on his deathbed and now wants to punish them for their crimes they committed that he got them off on. There's a diorama of the seven deadly sins in the house's foyer that they're staying on and as each person gets murdered, the statue of the sin that their crime corresponds with, disappears. It's a locked room mystery because of the island setting and with a storm keeping communication out to the outside world, they are on their own to survive.

This is what you do: lie. Make up stories. Create something out of nothing.

While the murders are going on, we have Miriam thinking about her own case, we get some flashbacks and reveals to what she did to the girl that was bullying her daughter but it's cloaked in Miriam's unreliable narrator, the constant alluding to her “cry wolf” personality, and at first she's taking Valium at a decent clip and drinking. There's some discussion of racism, Miriam being a black woman and the “angry black woman” stereotype but the author mostly (there's more social commentary on one of the other six who is a cop who killed a black man) stays away from higher social commentary as Miriam, yes, contorts instances in her own mind. There was also two components added in, the island being formerly owned by a notorious drug dealer and Miriam keeps seeing(?) the ghost of a young girl, that I guess are supposed to be red-herrings and add to mystery. All they did for me was help to the chaos feel of the story and how none of the ideas the author had seemed to be fully formed to gel together.

I wanted her to lose. That’s all. To lose for once in her life.

The last 80% was speedy and messy in giving the ending, at one point Miriam just takes a nap??? while on the run/hiding from a murderer. There's no one to cheer for or like in this, usually not a problem for me, but my personal dislikes and the messy storytelling structure made me not a fan of this. One thing I did like was that after someone was murdered, the next page had a newspaper clipping of their court case, what they were accused of and how they got off. I liked how their murders had a tie-ins with their crimes, a' la the movie Saw. As far as thriller, never felt on the edge of my seat, as far as mystery, meh-fairly easy to work out what is happening, and as far as ghost story, mostly a non-entity.
Profile Image for Crystal.
691 reviews89 followers
November 29, 2021
This book is poorly rated, but I wanted to give a try because I loved the locked-room troupe. Well...the low rating is completely valid. A big problem for me was the entire story being told from Miriam's perspective. She's such an unlikable, despicable character...and she's supposed to be...but it wasn't fun to be in her headspace. It was grating. Also, because none of the other characters had a POV, they were essential throwaway characters with no depth and little to no characterization. It felt like they were added just to up the body count.
Profile Image for Monica **can't read fast enough**.
1,022 reviews324 followers
April 9, 2019
I am a fan of Rachel Howzell Hall's Elouise Norton series, so when I saw that she had a brand new book coming out I had to request an ARC. I went into THEY ALL FALL DOWN with some expectation of what I was going to get and had to promptly throw them all out the window. This story is made up of characters who are all harboring dark secrets and are coming together with individual ulterior motives. Even our main character Miriam comes in with a murky story that doesn't quite stand up to scrutiny. With Miriam, truth is subjective and facts have to be explained with her own version of context. There are actually moments when I wasn't sure if what she was saying and believing was real or part of her own 'improved' narrative that she is providing to justify her own actions.

There are no straight lines in this story. Every one of the characters puts a spin on who they are and what they have done to end up connected to the central figure that brings them all together on the island. None of the characters are truly likable, but they are complex and interesting. The subtly of each person's flawed character comes out slowly and in ways that leaves them scrambling to explain who they really are.

THEY ALL FALL DOWN has twists and turns with sneaky little information bombs that kept me turning the pages and finishing this one quickly. The ending is a completely unexpected jaw dropper and I'm still a little stunned by it. I'm looking forward to what Rachel Howzell Hall gives us next!

**I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.**

Where you can find me:
•(♥).•*Monlatable Book Reviews*•.(♥)•
Twitter: @MonlatReader
Instagram: @readermonica
Facebook: Monica Reeds
Goodreads Group: The Black Bookcase
Profile Image for Jamie Canaves.
835 reviews247 followers
April 6, 2019
Great Modern And Then There Were None! (TW suicide/ eating disorder/ anxiety attacks)

I went into this with high expectations because I love Hall’s detective series and “remakes” of And Then There Were None (strangers suddenly deserted together and one by one they start to be murdered). Hall totally delivered! I don’t want to say much on plot, because the not knowing is a fun element of these stories, so I’m going to focus on why this really worked for me. I loved Miriam Macy–who accepts a trip to a Mexican island in hopes of winning a reality show and getting her life back in order–as the point of view because she clearly has baggage but is a fighter. And Hall used a lot of clever crime genre elements that all blended really well together: a main character known to lie who has anxiety and doubts what she sees; everyone has a motive so the killer can be anyone; they’re all stuck together because of a storm so they’re forced to solve the mystery or fight; the challenge of who we are as people when we’re forced to face our worse self; everyone’s got a secret they’re hiding; the boiled frog fable���you’re in danger and you didn’t even realize it until it’s too late! Hall is also brilliant in how she modernized this tale while staring the problematic aspects of the genre dead in the eyes. I’ll read anything she writes.

--from Book Riot's Unusual Suspects newsletter: https://link.bookriot.com/view/56a820...
Profile Image for Melissa (LifeFullyBooked).
4,483 reviews1,610 followers
January 15, 2020
This book had so much potential, it just didn't live up to it. To start off, comparing something to And Then There Were None is setting the book up for failure, because that is such a tightly plotted, brilliant book and this one just pales in comparison.
I kept expecting a great twist, which is actually why I kept reading, but in the end it just was a straightforward book about revenge upon terrible people. I wanted there to be at least one character worthy of redemption, or barring that, a twist making the journey worthwhile, but alas, none was offered.
The characters overall were more caricatures than real people. The book does get a little rounding up because I did like the ending and that things were all explained.
Profile Image for Mara.
1,463 reviews3,554 followers
December 6, 2019
2.5 stars-- I think there are elements of this book that are successful, but I don't think they come together well for a whodunnit mystery. While the POV character was interesting & I think could have worked well as one of our POVs, the fact that the entire book is through her eyes impacted my experience of the story in a pretty negative way. I also think that in terms of pacing, it takes far too long to get to the murdering
Profile Image for Jane.
351 reviews13 followers
May 11, 2019
They All Fall Down was published in 2019. It is an obvious updated version of Agatha Christie's, Then There Were None. It is a well-written story that has many good points.
My main problem with the book is how terrible the characters were, I found it very hard to care that they were being killed. I know that in Agatha Christie original story, the characters were not good people, but I believe what made her story great was that delayed in showing who these people were for a while, she allowed us to like them before we knew.
In Rachel Howzell Hall story, the characters are so unlikeable from the very beginning, that I just don't feel horrified by there deaths.
Another fault was who was committing the murders was kind of obvious and left me to wonder why the other characters did not see it.
This book is a psychological thriller that does a good job showing the evil that is in humans and how we turn on each other at a moment of crises.
I enjoyed this book enough that I will gladly read the next book by this writer.
All in all a satisfying story.
Profile Image for Kim Michele Richardson.
Author 7 books2,845 followers
February 12, 2019
I flat out enjoyed this book! Seven strangers brought together on a tropical island under false pretenses, each harboring a secret... What's not to love? Hall has given us a twisty, fun and highly entertaining thriller.

Thank you to the publisher, Forge Books, for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Tina.
302 reviews413 followers
April 27, 2019
Damnit this was fun. Really funny protagonist. It was a real caper- just go with the story. Give me more thriller/suspense written by AOC!
Profile Image for Cassie’s Reviews.
976 reviews30 followers
April 5, 2019
I really enjoyed this book!! Miriam’s life is a complete disaster at the moment. Her husband has a new girlfriend, her daughter refuses to speak to her and the police are calling to talk to her. When she suddenly receives an invitation participate in a reality show on a a remote tropical island, she feels like her luck is finally improving. She’s told there will be six other participants but there won’t be any cell , internet or telephone services. She still feels like she can win this competition. However when Miriam arrives she realizes they were all summoned to the island under false pretenses. When several of the guests begin to die as a result of strange “accidents” the remaining guests become frightened and suspicious of each-other. They are stranded on an island without a boat or any forms of communication the new game is called life or death. This plot is a guessing game and the big question is who is going to die next and who is the killer. This definitely was a modern remake of Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None. I give this four stars!
Profile Image for Bri.
Author 1 book171 followers
March 29, 2020
This book was all over the place...in a good way, though. One of the cover reviews described the writing as “compulsive,” and I completely agree. It felt very stream of consciousness à la Terry McMillan, and it kept me engaged. I didn’t particularly like any of the characters who ended up on the island, and I suppose that’s the point. You aren’t even really rooting for Miriam, the MC. Everyone who ended up on the island is somehow a murderer, and I enjoyed finding out how.

The trope of “strangers stranded on a remote island” isn’t new, but Hall managed to craft a compelling and twisty story nonetheless. I can’t tell you how this novel compares to Christie’s AND THEN THERE WERE NONE cus I haven’t read that, but I enjoyed this one and will be reading more of Hall’s books.
Profile Image for Trisha.
4,534 reviews157 followers
April 30, 2019
"There is a price to pay. For all of us."

This was a fun little mystery. It had similarities to And Then There Were None but it deviates from that plot pretty quickly. It played out just like a horror movie - as each person struggles to understand what's going on. I liked the misleads and the misconceptions. I also liked that I couldn't believe anyone - not even the narrator - as the plot twisted and turned and I wasn't sure what was going on anymore. It was definitely entertaining!
Profile Image for Amitaf0208.
159 reviews33 followers
April 15, 2019
4.5 stars!!!!! this was so good and enjoyable. couldn't put it down. this is a homage to And then there were none. totally loved the main character who was hilarious.
Profile Image for Melanie  Brinkman.
618 reviews74 followers
April 21, 2020
Who knew a nightmare could look like paradise?

Miriam Macy's delighted to receive a surprise invitation to participate on an island game show, especially as it gives her a reason to get away from home. But now, surrounded by the Cortez Sea, she and her fellow contestants are shocked to find that they've been brought to the remote mansion under false pretenses. Soon, it's not long before they all start dying, one by one. Danger lurks behind every door and in every heart. Can Miriam escape? Or is she destined to join the others as they all fall down?

A trip of a lifetime turns into a luxurious nightmare. On this island, past "flaws" may be fatal.

Trigger warnings for adultery, body shaming, drinking, drug use, death, bullying, racial slurs, violent death of an animal, graphic depiction of vomiting, anxiety, and suicide.

Bitter, bad-tempered Miriam's life went from bad to worse. Brash, the protective mother was no bully. She simply said what she said, did what she had to do, no matter the hell that came after. She had been wronged! She was a victim! Why oh why couldn't people see it that way? Increasingly anxious and paranoid, it was interesting to see how time on the island brought out every part of this highly irritating, morally twisted character.

Just what do a snarky old man, a saucily sweet West Virginian widow, a gun loving cop, a ruthless financier, an overwrought nurse, and a chef who's happy to cook more than just food all have in common? Brought together by someone who knew all about their questionable legal histories, the cast unveiled their warped pasts in increasingly less subtle bursts. Much like the original cast, these people danced on the lines of good and bad. What was the truth? What was a lie? I'll leave that for you to decide.

Memories of my highschool's production of And Then There Were None and reading Agatha Christie's classic both hold massive amounts of nostalgia for me, so my standards for this one were pretty high. Dark and gruesome, the chillingly isolated atmosphere only added to the dreadfully mounting tension. After a slow ambiance building start, the helter-skelter pace of the second half had me scrambling to keep up. Even though it was a bit disjointed, it was fun to compare the similarities and differences in this creepy retelling of secrets, lies, and murder. Well-placed newspaper clippings left you questioning every conclusion you made about each of Rachel Howzell Hall's characters. The original remains supreme, but They All Fall Down was an entertaining homage.

It was impossible to stop watching to see if they would all fall down.
Profile Image for Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**.
1,371 reviews649 followers
February 15, 2022

***2.5 Stars***

A sick man. A country chick. A shaggy nurse. A cokehead cook. An uppity banker. And a mass shooter. My competition, ladies and gentleman.

The prologue and first couple of chapters hooked me and I was intrigued by the heroine and where the story would go, but the more I kept reading the more my interest began to wane.

As everyone was beginning to come together, the characters were introduced too quickly for me to keep track of who was who for the first half of the book. I found myself confused too many times.

Also, being inside the heroine's head was dizzying and disjointed. Maybe that was the point, but I didn't enjoy it. And the writing felt the same way. Scattered and choppy. Again, maybe that was the point, but I didn't enjoy the writing style either.

I found that as I kept reading, I stopped caring what happened to anyone and just wanted to get to the "who done it" ending. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with that too.

Overall, a book that hooked me in the beginning and then threw me back in the water unsatisfied.
Profile Image for VickiLee.
950 reviews1 follower
June 15, 2019
They all fall down on a secluded Mexican island. I found utterly nothing compelling about this reimagining of Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None. Now that is a novel that rocked my adolescent world. I found this novel full of dreary, unlikable people flummoxing around in an improbable plot - people tricked into going to this Island then discovering it was at the behest of their deceased lawyer who didn’t love them as much as they thought. And that’s when they all begin to fall down! Sadly, I didn’t care, not for a single one of them.
July 30, 2022
Nope. Just nope. Semi-lucid prose, over-written and unrealistic dialogue, unlikable characters and nothing compelling for 12 chapters. Avoid it. I have absolutely loved everything else this author has written, but this is...
Displaying 1 - 30 of 737 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.