Start by marking “Knight: A Chronicle of the Sibyl's War” as Want to Read:
Knight: A Chronicle of the Sibyl's War

Knight: A Chronicle of the Sibyl's War

(The Sibyl's War #2)

A legend of Space Opera is back with Knight, the second book in Timothy Zahn's Sibyl's War series

Nicole Hammond was just trying to survive on the streets of Philadelphia, then she and her partner Bungie were abducted by a race of mysterious moth-like aliens and taken to a strange ship called the Fyrantha.

Now she is a Sibyl, a special human that has the ability to
Published April 16th 2019 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knight

Start your review of Knight: A Chronicle of the Sibyl's War
HBalikov
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Mea Culpa

I am not sure why, but the combination of me in my public library and a Zahn book on a display shelf usually means I end up with it in my hand. This has happened with mixed results and here I have book two of the Sibyl’s war now read without having read book one, Pawn. You can judge how big a mistake this was.

I was immediately experiencing the spaceship, Fryantha, from the perspective of Nicole Hammond. This is an alien ship and Nicole is a human snatched from the Philadelphia streets…
Judy Lesley
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: aliens
Thanks to NetGalley and Macmillan - Tor/Forge for an eGalley of this novel.

Since I was requesting an opportunity to read the second book in a series I decided to read the first, Pawn, to prepare myself for this one. Both Pawn and Knight are quite similar, this second book has Nicole finding more alien races being pitted against each other so those who control the ship can observe how aggressive they are.

Nicole was a member of a gang in Philadelphia before she was abducted by space aliens. She
Koeur
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Publishing Date: April 2019

Publisher: Tor/Forge

ISBN: 9780765329677

Genre: SciFi

Rating: 1.8/5

Review: This was a story line that languished in dialogue while moving at a snails pace. Remember the movie “Speed”? Great movement tied to a simple story line that kept you involved despite the flimsiness of the overall plot. Think of this novel as “Speed 2”. Boring story line set on a boat in the friggin’ ocean going fast…er? Even the idea that Super Speshul Nicole is trying to hide the fact that humans
James
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, sf
A decent continuation of this series with its interesting variant on giant generation ships. With the young Nicole Hammond as protagonist, the book may be a good YA read as well. A fun read.
S.J. Higbee
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. Nicole is accustomed to living by her wits and it’s this attribute that keeps her alive and relatively unscathed. That, and her stubbornness in refusing to lie down and accept the fate that awaits herself, her companions and the rest of Earth… The stakes in this story couldn’t be higher – Earth is at the mercy of a ruthless, technologically advanced race of aliens who are looking to cash in on whatever humanity has to offer in the way of bankable commodities. Up to ...more
Mike
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The series is building nicely.

Review: https://derailmentsofthought.com/2019...
John Purvis
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it

(See all of myBook Reviews) -“Knight” eBook was published in 2019 and was written by Timothy Zahn (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy...). This is the second book in his “A Chronicle of the Sibyl's War” series.

I received an ARC of this novel through https://www.netgalley.com in return for a fair and honest review. I categorize this novel as ‘R’. The story is set in more or less contemporary time, but it is predicated upon the abduction of the main character, Nicole Hammond, as well as a few
Jonathan Koan
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Timothy Zahn is always worth a read. His abilities to create suspense, twists and turns, and good characters are the reasons he is one of the best Sci-Fi writers out there.

This book is no different. I read the first book in his series, Pawn, in June of 2017 because someone at Barnes and Noble had said he'd heard good things about it(really, he was just trying to sell the book off their shelves since it was the only Zahn book they had in hardcover and I was asking for a Zahn book). I read it and
Brian Palmer
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, science-fiction
I didn't enjoy this as much as its predecessor; maybe I just found the premise a bit harder to swallow. Namely, Nicole Hammond was in a street gang in Philadelphia when she was abducted by aliens. It turns out that a spaceship (formrely a zoo!) has become a flying gladiatorial arena ... the aliens are looking for races that can be enslaved to form armies to fight in interstellar wars. Thankfully, humans are only abducted in small crews to be maintenance workers ... but events in the first novel ...more
William Bentrim
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Knight by Timothy Zahn
Knight is the sequel to Pawn. I’ve always enjoyed Zahn’s work. He writes a good story and his characters show moral strength. Nicole has grown a great deal since Pawn. She is becoming the actual protector of the Fyrantha and sees the need to confront the Shipmasters.
Zahn has done a good job in developing the character of Nicole. She is becoming confident and discovering she does not need to be a pawn. Humans are prisoners but although they have pacifistically defied the
Karl Schaeffer
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I like Timothy Zane. He writes good SF. This book is well written. However, it’s like an exposition of a video game. I’m not a gamer, so this subject and treatment does not interest me. Another count against this book, is that I read this book first and it’s the second book of the series, with apparently a lot of the backstory in #1. Nicole’s from Philly, but not a lot about Philly in this book. Got this one at the library as an express book (ie, new and no renewals allowed). I dutifully plowed ...more
Margaret
Nicole explores the rest of the ship in Book Two of the Sybil's War.

Some areas are controlled by the Shipmasters and some areas are controlled by the Fyrantha's computer Caretaker (who chose Nicole as Ship's Protector).

In addition to exploring the ship, Nicole is also discovering more of her role's powers. Sometimes the ship responds to her and, in other areas, it ignores her.

But not everything is what it seems. Who is telling the truth and who is lying (or lying by omission)?

Highly
Janet Sketchley
An excellent story, as expected. With some clever twists and uses of strategy. Again, as expected. It's interesting watching reluctant hero Nicole learn what type of leader she wants to be. She's still abrasive and difficult, but only a character like her could possibly succeed in the task she's been set. I do find some of the language a bit wearing, but I understand it fits her background. This is an intriguing series, and I'll definitely keep reading.
Kathy Sebesta
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
A fair book for the middle of the series.
Josephine
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting twist.
Dean Kuusela
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thought the series would be more enlightening and develop in the second book but it just got more annoying. Adios!
Ron Nurmi
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second volume of The Sibyl's War.
Breane Ross
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Received an arc from netgalley. LOVED this sf book! Highly recommend getting it when it comes out!
Stephen
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok for light reading.
Jeff
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Started on the second book again! Really about 2.75 stars, neat concept, stargate did the same thing
TC

Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great light read.
Rebecca
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got this without realizing it is part two of Sibyl's War, but still enjoyed it. Too bad I have to wait half a year for the sequel!
Joe Hodgson
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bit more tedious read than Zahn's usual books. It's an interesting premise and I will continue the series, but not as great as the author's best work.
B.  Barron
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Definitely underwhelming.
The author had a destination in mind and he arrived there, just wish he could have been a bit more clever in getting there. Everyone is just a bit too dumb for my taste.
Roger
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This, the second novel in the Sybyl's War series, is entertaining enough and easy to read but lacks depth and rather drawn out in my opinion.
Jeff Cavanaugh
Dec 31, 2019
Sean Kerner
rated it did not like it
May 25, 2019
Arjun
Apr 27, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Gordian Protocol
  • The Hive (The Second Formic War #2)
  • To Clear Away The Shadows (RCN, #13)
  • Pass of Fire (Destroyermen, #14)
  • Octavia Gone (Alex Benedict, #8)
  • Eye Spy (Valdemar: Family Spies, #2)
  • Empress of Forever
  • The Last Astronaut
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • The Warship (Rise of the Jain #2)
  • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
  • Permafrost
  • Endgames (Imager Portfolio, #12)
  • The Cruel Stars
  • No Country for Old Gnomes (The Tales of Pell, #2)
  • The Light Brigade
  • The Red-Stained Wings (Lotus Kingdoms, #2)
  • A Gift of Dragons: Illustrated Stories
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he ...more

The Sibyl's War (3 books)
  • Pawn (Sibyl's War, #1)