Start by marking “Bloodwitch (The Witchlands, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bloodwitch (The Witchlands, #3)

Bloodwitch

(The Witchlands #3)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  9,576 ratings  ·  1,695 reviews
Fans of Susan Dennard's Witchlands series have fallen in love with the Bloodwitch Aeduan. And now, finally, comes his story.

High in a snowy mountain range, a monastery that holds more than just faith clings to the side of a cliff. Below, thwarted by a lake, a bloodthirsty horde of raiders await the coming of winter and the frozen path to destroy the sanctuary and its secre
Published February 12th 2019 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Bloodwitch, please sign up.
Edit~A My OTP was and always will be Safi and Merik! <3
Well, Iseult and Aeduan the 2nd!!
3rd the heart-threads of course, Kullen and Ryber.
Tbh, weird but I wa…more
My OTP was and always will be Safi and Merik! <3
Well, Iseult and Aeduan the 2nd!!
3rd the heart-threads of course, Kullen and Ryber.
Tbh, weird but I want to see Vivia and Vanessa together... (less)
Habibah Moflehi I love Safi and Merik so much I COULD DIE I LOVE THEM SO MUCH AND I ALSO LOVE ISUELT AND AUDIN I LOVE THEM THE MOST!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!.
i als…more
i also like that Isult and Audin kind of adopted a child but not really.this child could talk and control animals. like shit i love that. i also love love the world and the world building.
I ship Audin and Isuilt and i also ship Merik and Safi because the make out scene they had in book one was fucking gold i loved it. I love everything that happen in this book and the characters are so relatible.
i was not a huge fan of Vivia in this book or the last one. but i hope that will change in this book because i want to like her because she is a Tide Witch and i love me some water witches and i am trash for anything that has witches.
This book is called BLOODWITCH which means Audin and that means i am here and ready to die for him. i love him he is my fave and that means i will read it. I DONT CARE WHAT MY ANYBODY SAYS I WILL READ THIS BOOK WHEN IT COMES OUT. I WILL!! i cant wait to see how Iseult and Aeduan relationship progress because they are attracted to each other its so ovi.(less)
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberA Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
YA Novels of 2019
873 books — 3,133 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoNinth House by Leigh BardugoThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonThe Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,457 books — 3,987 voters

More lists with this book...

·  9,576 ratings  ·  1,695 reviews

Start your review of Bloodwitch (The Witchlands, #3)
Samantha
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2019
4.5? 4.75? I haven’t decided yet but.. my emotions.

Edit: who am I kidding it’s 5 stars

July 2021: 5 stars again on reread!
✨ A ✨
I've said it before and I'll say it again: SUSAN DENNARD IS A QUEEN

I truly love how, though each of these books features POV of the 4 MC's, every book focuses just a bit more on one character.

Aeduan's book was everything I had hoped for. I've been intrigued by Aeduan since Truthwitch. He is somewhat of a morally grey character and in the first two books it's hard to discern who's side he is on.

Death follows wherever you go, yet by the grace of the Wells, you always outrun your own.

Reading
— Massiel
EDIT 2.0 - 09/21/18

WE HAVE A COVER, AGAIN, REPEATING, WE HAVE A COVER

CAN WE JUST THANK SUSAN FOR THIS? I MEAN ADEUAN LOOKS GORGEOUS
description

I CAN'T WAIT TO READ ADEUAN AND ISEULT, I SHIP THEM SO MUCH!!

SERIOUSLY, FEBRUARY 12TH JUST COME ALREADY

AND AEDUAN WITH ISUELT

I REALLY NEED THIS BOOK, I CAN'T WAIT TO 2019

Dear Susan:

Nastassja
She stole his breath now, and he had no breath to spare.

Bloodwitch stole my breath, stabbed me in the heart, and left me bleeding and waiting for the next installment. And I don't really mind, because it's the best kind of pain.

First of all, I must say that Susan Dennard upped her game in Bloodwitch. With every book in the series, she becomes a more superior master of words and aims straight for the readers' hearts. She feels blood and she strikes. Just like her Bloodwitch.

It's not a
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
That one was good and the cover is hot!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Jade Ratley
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series SO MUCH. This book was everything I needed and my heart is so full.
I loved all of the characters, as usual, all of the plots and how they weave together. The writing is entrancing. The world is so captivating. The political intrigue has me hooked and on the edge of my seat at every turn. I love it. So much.
Simona Stoica
Feb 06, 2017 marked it as to-read
UPDATE: WE HAVE A COVER. I REPEAT. WE HAVE A COVER.

UPDATE: 2019? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I NEED THIS BOOK NOW. BLOODWITCH. AEDUAN. AEDUAN AND ISEULT. I NEED ANSWERS.
Mayim de Vries
Feb 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
*crying* I don’t think I care for this series anymore. Am I no longer YA? Has adulting finally caught up with me? *enters the gawping maw of self-doubt and existential crises*

The whole Witchlands series has been my guilty pleasure. No surprise then that this book has been one of the most anticipated releases in 2019. As I enjoyed the whole series immensely, maybe even more than I should, the prospect of an instalment with Aeduan at the story’s focal point made me nearly giddy because of the anti
Taylor
“He was caught, like the man from the tale who wanted to feed his family during a blizzard, but could not bear to kill the lamb. In the end, everyone died of starvation, including the lamb. For Lady Fate makes all men choose eventually. Even Bloodwitches.”

...

If you've read my previous reviews for the first couple books in The Witchlands, you'll know that I wasn't a super-fan of this series. I liked it, but wasn't amorously invested or particularly attached to most of the characters.

That has chan
Beatrice in Bookland
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Te varuje.
I trust you as if my soul were yours.”

0.5. Sightwitch ★★★☆☆
1. Truthwitch ★★★★★
2. Windwitch ★★★★★

Just read the quote. I get teary eyed everytime I think about that scene so that should be enough to convince you to read Bloodwitch :))))
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
I really thought this was going to be the one that would tip me into solid 4 star territory at least but alas, it was not. While I found the beginning more interesting than the rest and was engaged pretty early on, this started to feel like a drag (despite reading it fairly quickly?).

The focus on Aeduan and Iseult’s stories made this one more interesting to me, but otherwise I just don’t think the execution was great. Something about Susan Dennard’s writing grates against me. Some one-liners ma
Sabrina
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
HOLY FUCK.
I'M DEAD.

THINGS WHEN DOWN IN THIS ONE. I’ll tell you that.
MY HEART NEEDS MORE.

”Te varuje.
I trust you as if my soul were yours.”

This was a beautifully crafted sequel. I have no complaints. This was more than I could have expected.
Looking extremely forward for the next books in this series.

If you have not picked this book/series yet, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Katerina
Oct 20, 2017 marked it as to-read
2019? 2019????

2019???????

THAT's how long I'll have to wait for Merik and Safi to reunite??

Alexandra Elend Wolf
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2019
"He was born a monster, he will die a monster, and monsters do not get to have Friends."

Emotional and darker than ever before Bloodwitch is a worth it sequeal to this wonderfully complicated and increseasingly twisted world.

Bloodwitch centers its story, as the title suggests, in my precious Aeduan. And boy did I appreciate that.

We get several flashbacks and fill-ins in the story of the best Bloodwitch, while also seeing his progress in his mission to get Owl back to her family.

Of co
Sara
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A book all about my favourite character from this series? Yes please.
I LOVED this!
Eliza ☽
~4.5 Stars~

Ladies, gentlemen, and variations thereupon, it is official: Susan Dennard is the modern queen of worldbuilding. It's seriously been a long while since I've read a book series with such sophisticated and nuanced worldbuilding, where each instalment - practically each chapter - constantly builds upon the world and story in such layered and deft ways. I am honestly enraptured by the world Ms Dennard has created - The Witchlands deserves to go down in history as one of the most legen
Deborah Obida
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Bloodwitch is exactly what I expected even though I'd rather it exceeds my expectations I'm glad I wasn't disappointed.

When power was at play, lies grew thick as weeds and the liars beneath them flourished.

The events in Bloodwitch happened two weeks after Windwitch, it was repeated so much it became annoying, all the characters were just saying it. This book is diverse, action packed, well depicted fight scenes, strong female characters and the adults in this book are just the worst, just on
Cindy ✩☽♔
Jan 10, 2017 marked it as to-read
10/31/18
Alright, finally finished the second book and all I can say is I hope, like the synopsis, this book is mostly about Aeduan and Iseult because I love them.
---
9/30/18
Wait, the release date was pushed back again!? Ugh
January 8th —> February 12th
9/21/18
Okay, so everyone on here probably knows by now I generally don’t like cover models, but you know what? I like this cover. I don’t know what it is but this just somehow works for me. I still need to finish the second book, but I already kne
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
My discontent with this book has nothing to do with the actual book itself, rather, well, let’s just say that really shouldn’t have read it at this moment in time.
This was supposed to be one of my most anticipated releases of the year and I’ve already forgotten everything.

Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
2.5 Stars

If I’m being honest, I feel like this series all kinda blends together and not a lot has happened. Yes the characters are in different places physically, but I feel like they’re still all the same (except for Merrik) and I don’t really feel like I know them. Or maybe I’m just not connecting with the characters, so I’m not invested even if there was a plot. I don’t know.

I was excited to read Bloodwitch, because I did enjoy Windwitch more than Truthwitch and I desperately want to fall in
Bright Star
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2019
Previously on Truthwitch
“Mhe varujta,” he said. “Mhe varujta.”
Trust me as if my soul were yours.

Two books later
“Te varuje,” she told him. “Te varuje.”
I trust you as if my soul were yours.

Just give me Witchshadow and nobody will get hurt :)))))
Bethany
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

So, I am having a kind of difficult time rating this one! I am a huge fan of the Witchlands series and think Susan Dennard is one of the most brilliant high fantasy authors in terms of world-building and crafting intricate plots and character arcs with hints and easter eggs that you may not notice until re-reading the series. However, I sometimes wish that this series had been sold as adult fantasy with characters aged up a few years and books clocking in at closer to 800
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Trigger warning: animal death (page 283), violence (child & mother)

It's been so long since I've read Truthwitch and Windwitch that it dampened my enjoyment of this book, because I couldn't remember anything that I had happened. I'm glad I read Sightwitch though because seeing Ryber in this book was awesome, even though her involvement was limited.

Loved hearing more from Aeduan's perspective and finding out about his past, he's definitely a complex character. I also loved seeing what had happene
Shanna Hughes
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SPOILER-FREE!

Bloodwitch isn’t a good book. It’s phenomenal. It’s fast-paced yet balanced, full of action while never forgetting emotion, and just an amazing adventure all around.

For a while now, I’ve been looking for a fantasy book that would sweep me off my feet. A story I could get lost in. A book I didn’t want to put down.

I found all of this in Bloodwitch.

I find that many series lose their spark as they progress. This one does the exact opposite. In Truthwitch, we got to know Safi and Iseul
Travis
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow was this ever a "bloody" great sequel. Bloodwitch was well worth the wait and then some. Susan has created such a magnificent and complex world and it felt so great to be back with my children.

Bloodwitch picks up 2 weeks after the events of Windwitch. The story remains the same and there is really nothing more I can say without spoiling the rest of the books. The politics of the book are still as strong as ever and I believe even more so in this installment. The great thing so far about the
Fares
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it

I keep saying this with every book in the series but it's very true!
Not much action, good character development and I'm left confused on how I feel!
I think the reason for that is from book 1 there's a promise of war that will start soon but we don't see much of it and I'm honestly a bit sad bc I want to see more of the magic system in fights! We're at the last parts of this series and for me something big enough should've happened by now in this world.

But I'm happy with the characters i
Henni Ro
Jan 10, 2017 marked it as to-read
Edit: Jan 10th 2017:
Susan Dennnard's Twitter status announcing the title of Book 3

TITLE: BLOODWITCH
Book: Aeduan's
me: dead

[I am already loving this book, Aeduan is my favourite character, but I don't want to wait another year for this ... aaaghhh]
Ashlee » libraryinthecountry
I was definitely a casual fan of this series after reading Truthwitch and Windwitch. But this book right here? This is the type of book that creates lifelong fans. The kind that theorize about what will happen next, obsess over characters and their relationships, go out of their way to buy merch inspired by the books and definitely add fan art to their phone backgrounds. 😂

Needless to say, this book is an incredible sequel and reminded me of everything that drew me into this series in the first p
Lou
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bloodwitch, the third book in the Witchlands series, is the best of the series so far and one of Dennard's most stunning novels to date. It has a little something for every fantasy fan, and it's crystal clear exactly how talented the author is. Her glorious worldbuilding can rival anyone's, her characters flawed, real and unforgettable had my heart from the very beginning, and the plot is captivating and adventurous. There are so many twists and turns in the plot that I almost thought I was read ...more
Scrill
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
September 21, 2018
OH MY GOSH. I JUST SAW THE SNEAK PEEK OF THE COVER AND I AM COMPLETELY FLOORED, AHHHHHH ITS SOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS!

Well there you have it. It's only 8/30/2107 and I have to create my 2019 to read shelf because the release date on this got pushed back. WHHHHYYY.

• City of Rust
  • Rainbow Grey
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • A ​Sky Beyond the Storm (An Ember in the Ashes, #4)
  • A ​Court of Silver Flames (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Realm Breaker (Realm Breaker, #1)
  • Six Crimson Cranes (Six Crimson Cranes, #1)
  • Rule of Wolves (King of Scars, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • The Wolf and the Woodsman
See top shelves…
Susan Dennard has come a long way from small-town Georgia. With a masters degree in marine biology, she got to travel the world—six out of seven continents, to be exact (she’ll get to Asia one of these days!)—before she settled down as a full-time novelist and writing instructor.

She is the author of the New York Times bestselling Witchlands series as well as the Something Strange & Deadly series.

The Witchlands (5 books)
  • Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1)
  • Windwitch (The Witchlands, #2)
  • Witchshadow (The Witchlands, #4)
  • Untitled (The Witchlands, #5)

Articles featuring this book

Need another excuse to go to the bookstore this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. To create our...
“I trust you as if my soul were yours.” 33 likes
“From the day she had stabbed Aeduan in the heart, that heart had become hers—and she would not let this be his end.” 30 likes