Start by marking “Only a Breath Apart” as Want to Read:
Only a Breath Apart

Only a Breath Apart

Bestselling author Katie McGarry’s trademark wrong-side-of-the-tracks romance is given a new twist in the gritty YA contemporary novel, Only a Breath Apart.

They say your destiny is carved in stone. But some destinies are meant to be broken.

The only curse Jesse Lachlin believes in is his grandmother’s will: in order to inherit his family farm he must win the
Published January 22nd 2019 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Only a Breath Apart, please sign up.
Bookish Bella this book is nothing like fault in our stars. this story is more about two strangers rekindling their friendship with dark undertones that normally…morethis book is nothing like fault in our stars. this story is more about two strangers rekindling their friendship with dark undertones that normally not in teen books. ( i don't want to spill too much) while a fault in our stars also has dark undertones, it is about two strangers who have never met who fall in love while fighting through what they have (less)

Start your review of Only a Breath Apart
Katie McGarry
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it. :-)
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 13, 2019 marked it as dnf-lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 30%

I wholly appreciate what the author is doing with this book, which is why I've chosen to stop here and leave off a rating, as I'm simply not the right reader for this novel. Content Warning to sensitive readers for graphic physical and verbal abuse. Many thanks to the publisher for the opportunity to give this one a try.
Nazanin
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Tink & Pan Stars

Jesse was freedom when so much of my life meant confinement. He was laughter during dark nights, he was the warrior who scared the monsters under my bed away . . . he was my friend

Scarlett has everything and nothing. She was known as the Ice Princess because they think she has no emotions, no feeling but they have no idea! She is full of anger, full of fear and confusion! The secrets she keeps…

Jesse’s a train wreck, and he taints anyone in his vicinity. Dating/>/>Jesse
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Loved so hard! Full review to come soon!

*EDITED TO ADD REVIEW*
4.5 Stars!

Only a Breath Apart will have you wrapped up in its pages after the very first heartbreaking, heart wrenching, chapter and it will only get worse as the story goes.

You will be consumed by it, not wanting to put it down for a moment. You will be wrapped up in the characters lives and need to know more, need to know that some how, some way, everything will be okay. That there will be a happy endi
Stacee
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Welp. This was a bit of a struggle. I have read and loved all of Katie’s other books, so I was all in without really reading the synopsis. That cover made me think it was just the standard mid-level angst she normally writes.

I liked Scarlett and Jesse well enough. They have a boatload of history with a second boatload of issues to deal with. There are a few other characters, but no one stood out to me. For me, they read as plot devices—and that is sort of tragic because there’s a lot of potenti
Jennifer Kyle
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars!!

Well done Katie McGarry!!
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
Only a Breath Apart was a beautifully, emotional story. It held my heart in the palm of its hand and I kept finding moments here and there that stole my breath away. This book was filled with heartfelt characters and friendship, love, forgiveness, bravery and finding oneself was a huge part of this story. If you've never picked up a Katie McGarry book, know that one of my favorite things about her stories are the characters she creates. They always feel so real, it's like I could reach into the ...more
The Book Bee
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
REVIEW: 4.5 STARS
"I don't want to kiss someone to feel. I'd rather kiss someone because I'm feeling."

Well, I can honestly say that I will add Katie McGarry to the list of YA authors I will happily read more of. For my first ever book by her, I got caught up in this little world of two teenagers working through their own pain while helping the other deal with theirs - in a very age-appropriate way. I loved it! This book, while it may have started out a little slow for me - that was quickly sorted
Brittany
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!!
🌟🌟🌟🌟

It wouldn't be a Katie McGarry book, if at some point, my heart didn't explode all over the floor! Mission accomplished Dear McGarry!

Only a Breath Apart was a beautiful, emotional rollercoaster. This book was jammed packed with hard topics and it was done brilliantly. The topic of abuse was handled wi🌟🌟🌟🌟
Melanie A.
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melanie by: Nazanin
Shelves: young-adult, scribd, audio
4 STARS!
I don't forgive him for leaving a scar on my soul.
I don't read a lot of YA anymore, but I'm a total sucker for this kind of Romeo and Juliet/bad boy-good girl story. And I'm happy to report that after a rough start, Only a Breath Apart turned out to be a real winner for me.

The rough start involves one of my all-time pet peeves: when an author begins a story with the characters as very young children and gives them the thoughts/feelings/emotions of adults. Honestly, if I hadn't been listening, I wouldSTARS!
arini
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is my new favorite thing!! i'm honestly surprised to see that i loved this as much as i did considering i hadn't read anything by this author before. when i came across it, i thought the cover was really sweet and romantic, and super adorable. i read the synopsis, then decided it was intriguing enough, so i dived in.

this book is what i imagine would happen when two puzzle pieces came together. the pieces being colleen hoover and mariana zapata. those who haven't been a stranger to CoHo know t
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
3.5 - 4 ⭐'s

This is my first book by Katie McGarry and I enjoyed it for the most part. There's some hard subject matter for both Jesse and Scarlett and then throw in a curse and some psychic mumbo jumbo and you have an intricate story line.

Jesse and Scarlett grew up together, playing on Jesse's farm and climbing trees. That all changed when they started high school and Jesse did some things that weren't very nice. He has a good reason but it takes a while for us to find it out.

They're seniors
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: January 22, 2019
Genre: Young Adult Romance
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

Katie McGarry has a magical writing ability and she can make any type of reader get lost in her words. Only a Breath Apart is a stunning and emotional read, one that deals with social issues in a realistic way. This book brought many tears in my eyes but it also made my heart swell. The eloquence in which she writes this profound novel has left a deep imprint in my heart and I am so happy to/>/>
Amy
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I loved him once–the way a six-year-old loves with abandon. I loved him how I once loved myself. Jesse was freedom when so much of my life meant confinement. He was laughter during dark nights, he was the warrior who scared the monsters under my bed away…he was my friend.”

“I don’t know what being friends means anymore. Not just with you, but with anyone. There’s something wrong with me. When I look inside me, I don’t see anything. I’m empty.”

“Scarlett, there are two time
B.A. Wilson
This book fronts as a YA contemporary romance, but it has this delicious undercurrent of magical realism that just takes my breath away.

It reminded me of being a kid, when I also felt so tied to the land that I haven’t set foot on again since I was about 13 years old. It’s funny the way the things that shape us as a child can suddenly seem so distant once you are 38. This story threw me back into the shell of an emotionally fragile teenager who fought through the challenges life served up in a
Cecily Wolfe
Just when I thought McGarry couldn't get any better - she does. This had me absolutely spellbound in every way.
Lindsay
Ok, this book was freaking amazing. I've had great luck with Katie McGarry books in the past, so I didn't really have any expectation that this would be different.

Once I started the book, I was sucked into Scarlett and Jesse's story. I loved seeing them as kids, and their friendship and connection.

I loved seeing them come back together, find their way back to being friends and confiding in each other.

From the first moment I met Scarlett's parents, I didn't like them. You could just feel that
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, audio-book-2019
4.5 stars, rounded up

It will take me a minute to gather my thoughts. This felt powerful and real enough that it hit close to home for me.

My full review will be posted as part of the blog tour.
Madison
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Only A Breath Apart is a beautiful, heart-wrenching story about love, hope, resilience and self discover through the greatest of trauma and challenges. It is earthy, emotional and magical- everything readers have come to know and love from Katie McGarry. Devoted fans and new readers alike will not be disappointed with this gripping story.

From the outside, Scarlett has a perfect life - a great family, big house and secure plans for her future. What no one sees is the stifling control
Rae
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Only a Breath Apart by Katie McGarry is a story about two young adults and a curse that brings them together.

I really enjoyed Only a Breath Apart! It was such a sweet story! The writing was beautiful, and the pacing was perfect.

Scarlett and Jesse used to be the best of friends until Jesse stopped talking to her their freshman year. He tries to rekindle their friendship their senior year, though he has an ulterior motive: his family farm. When Jesse renews his friendship w
Seema Rao
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heartbreaking ~ Honest ~ Believable

tl;dr: Abusive parents bring two teens together.

I have a 50-50 feeling on McGarry's books. I adored Say You'll Remember Me. That is why I decided to grab this book. I'm glad I did. This book is a pretty unflinching look at abuse and controlling parents. The love story is very believable. It isn't quite as good as Say You'll Remember Me but definitely worth a read.

3.5

Seema Rao Write : Instagram| Blog| Twitter|
kerrycat
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love McGarry - this is a must read. Classic McGarry in every way.

I was a little concerned towards the end that it was going one way when it JUST COULD NOT - I was like, NO, you can't even do this, kid. But in traditional KMG fashion, it all worked out. Not that these kids have a smooth road ahead (do any of her characters?) but their lives are much better for having each other.
Nicole Hewitt
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I love Katie McGarry. In anyone else's hands, I think this book would have been overdramatic and overwrought, but McGarry draws me in to her characters and makes me relate to them in such intimate ways. She makes sure that the pain in these two lives feels real, and doesn't just feel like drama.

What Fed My Addiction:

Abuse depicted realistically.
The relationship between Scarlett and her father is complicated. While Scarlett hates her father's actions and she fears him, she also has go/>What
Julie
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Secrets that lie behind closed doors are often missed by the outside world. For Jesse – the curse that he believes haunts his family keeps love at bay. After losing his mother, Jesse torments himself reliving the moments that brought his mother to that day that forever changed his life. Now the perils of trying to keep the family farm standing weigh on Jesse’s shoulders each and every day.

For Scarlett – control and fear are the driving forces in her life. Every factor in Scarlett’s life revolve
Rebecca
Kim
Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads.

You know that feeling when you get 100% lost in a good book? That was me with Only a Breath Apart. It took a couple chapters for me to hit my stride, but once I did, I didn't want to put it down. I just wanted to keep living in this world Katie created and breathing in her words. It was a beautiful book with a ton of heart.

I'm struggling a bit with how to make my words do justice to this gorgeous book Katie created. There's something about
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
"Holes in hearts hurt, and I have too many holes for me to be breathing. Gran poured her love into me, so much, I should have been fixed, but maybe that’s the problem with having too many holes. All the love that’s poured in falls out."

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I'm sorry this is posting so late today! I received m/>I
Samantha (WLABB)
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I never tire of Katie McGarry books, and she is back with something that is both classic Katie and a little bit different for her.

This was a story about friendship, family, love, survival, destiny, growth, and I loved the way all these parts added up to one fantastic tale.

• Friendship: Scarlett and Jesse's renewed friendship took center stage, and it really was a beautiful history they shared. They spent their childhood together and shared an
Angy Potter - Collector of Book Boyfriends
Commercial Photography

Audiobook Review: 5 Million Stars

Katie McGarry always leaves me speechless with her books. I am literally out of words with this book. It’s pure perfection. Yes, it was hard for me to read, very very hard, but still, Only A Breath Apert is one of those books that will stay with me forever. Thanks to the audiobook, I could continue reading while my eyes were wide open, my heart barely stopping and bleeding for these characters. And there were other moments when I couldn’t stop crying and I just
Amy
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Only a Breath Apart. I am a big Katie McGarry fan and will read anything she writes. But, not since the Pushing the Limits series have I loved one her stories as much. Only a Breath Apart deals with some heavy topics but does it in a way that felt real and very relatable.
Only A Breath Apart is about a girl named Scarlet and she holds a secret that could destroy her entire family. Then, there is a boy named Jesse whose grandma just passed away and now there are three adults holding the k

• Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss
  • Say You Still Love Me
  • Cold Day in the Sun
  • Field Notes on Love
  • Hearts Made for Breaking
  • On Thin Ice (Juniper Falls #3)
  • Night Music
  • Eyes on Me
KATIE MCGARRY was a teenager during the age of grunge and boy bands and remembers those years as the best and worst of her life. She is a lover of music, happy endings, and reality television, and is a secret University of Kentucky basketball fan.

Katie would love to hear from her readers. Contact her via her website, katielmcgarry.com, follow her on Twitter @KatieMcGarry, or become a f
“Pain is what makes you grow, it’s what makes you mature, it’s what helps lead you to the path you are meant to be on. If everything is good all the time, there would never be change.” 10 likes
“You’ve been asleep for a very long time,” she whispers. “It’s time to wake up, Scarlett. There’s a whole world of possibility waiting for you.” 6 likes