Start by marking “Fear of Missing Out” as Want to Read:
Fear of Missing Out

Fear of Missing Out

Everyone has a fear of missing out on something--a party, a basketball game, a hangout after school. But what if it's life that you'll be missing out on?

When Astrid learns that her cancer has returned, she hears about a radical technology called cryopreservation that may allow her to have her body frozen until a future time when--and if--a cure is available. With her boyfr
Published March 19th 2019 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (Byr)

To ask other readers questions about Fear of Missing Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear of Missing Out

Samantha (WLABB)
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Astrid was lucky. She beat cancer once, but it appeared that cancer wasn't done with her, and this time, fighting back seemed futile.

• Pro: I instantly fell in love with each and every one of these characters. Astrid was a no brainer, but I also adored Mohit, her mom, and her little brother. I wanted to group hug with them, because I had just met Astrid and couldn't bear to lose her.

• Pro: No sugarcoating, this book got tough towards the end. I am actually crying right now, bu
Stacy Fetters
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, giveaway
"We’re the ones who will be left behind to live with an Astrid-shaped hole in the universe. We don’t want to lose you before we have to. And it isn’t fair to ask us to.”

This will be one of the hardest books to review in my opinion. Astrid’s story hit really close to home and reminded me of how things went a short time ago. It brought so many emotions out of me that I wound up crying my eyes out but it also brought me comfort in knowing that no one is suffering any more.

Astrid thought that she w
Jaime
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I should not have read this a week after my grandmother died from cancer. But this is a beautiful book.
Julie
Ooof. This book was hard. It hurt and it was beautiful.

I loved Astrid and how complicated she was and how she wasn't interested in pleasing others. I love that she has this team around her that loves her and supports her, but they're also selfish, so it gets complicated. I loved this story and how it unfolded and I only wish it was a little longer, so certain aspects had a little more time to play out.

At it's heart, this is a story about living by our own terms, making our own choices, and doi
Belle Ellrich
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm going to be brutally honest here and say that I was not the biggest fan of this book.

In fact, I think I'm being a little overly nice with the rating I'm giving it, while also rounding up to match the ratings on Goodreads and Amazon.

Fear of Missing Out is a book I was fairly interested in, mainly because the main character has cancer. As this has been a heavy theme I was hoping more authors would write about, I was really excited to see how the story would turn out.

In short, this book was slo
Romantic Intentions Quarterly
Astrid is dying. Her astrocytoma has returned after a period of remission, and this time she knows her time is drawing to an end. This novel is beautifully and thoughtfully written, exploring the different options available to her, and the reactions of her family and friends to the choices she makes over the ones they want her to make. In the author’s note, Kate McGovern writes that she became a mother during the writing of this story, and it shows, with inflections and insight that make the emo ...more
Grace
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of John Green or those who liked Five Feet Apart
Recommended to Grace by: Goodreads
**won an ARC copy in a Goodreads giveaway**

Fear of Missing Out focuses on Astrid, a 16-year-old girl with an astrocytoma, who's considering cryopreservation as an option for when her body finally succumbs to the cancer. While I found her story compelling, I think what really makes this book a page-turner are the supporting characters in Astrid's life: her best friend Chloe, her boyfriend Mohit, and her mother and younger brother. Their varying reactions to everything Astrid experiences were what
Liz
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won an ARC of this in a Goodreads giveaway - thank you so much! This book is beautiful and heartbreaking. I've read "kids with cancer" books before but Fear of Missing Out puts a different spin on it with its' look into cryogenics/euthanasia, a field which I didn't know much about. I also loved all the relationships between the characters and how Astrid wasn't the perfect martyred "16-year-old with cancer." Her relationships with her friends and family weren't always perfect which made it so r ...more
Carli
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and Macmillan Children’s Publishing for the advance Kindle copy of this book. It is out TOMORROW! All opinions are my own.

⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 for this one. Astrid has beaten cancer once, but when her tumor comes back, the science-loving sixteen-year-old has had enough of hospitals, needles, and pain. Her mother pushes her to apply for a clinical trial, but after meeting a scientist who works in cryopreservation, Astrid wants to learn more about that route. With rich characters and com
Isidora
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you love books with strong female friendships, supportive friendships, caring boyfriends and boyfriends who play sax, then this is the book for you! It will make you cry, it will make you wonder, wonder what would you do. "Should I stay or should I go?" kind of choices. This is a book for fans of The Fault in our stars and I am sure that everyone will love it!

To read the whole review, go to https://pobesnelabubamara.blogspot.co... :)
Tanesha Lon
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-wins
Won this ARC & finished the book in one day while I was sick in bed . Once i started reading this book, I could not put it down . After receiving the news her cancer had returned that hit home for me . It was an emotional journey reading this book ,that was well worth the watery eyes while reading . I can definitely see my self reaching in my library and reading this book again.

Taking place in Boston was icing on the cake

Luisa Beguiristain
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m in awe.
Kate’s writing is beautiful, and Astrid’s journey will take you by the heart and drive you across state lines. You might hurt along these relatable and strong characters, but you’ll also laugh and love with every tender and real moment.
r.
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, contemporary, ebook
😢
Mrs.Heather Lassley
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book blew me away. Finished it, and I was completely emotionally drained.
Katie
Mar 16, 2019
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Astrid's story is relevant and timely in a world where people face cancer in many different forms. I really enjoyed this story and the way the author handles the tough choices that need to be made. Full of emotion and a heartbreaking moments. This one left me in tears and thinking about it long after the story ended. Thank you netgalley for an arc in exchange for my honest review.
Jenn Conwell
ALL THE STARS!! Your going to need a box of tissues for The Fear of Missing Out
Title: Fear of Missing Out
Author: Kate McGovern
Publication Date: March 19th

Synopsis: In The Fear of Missing Out, Astrid, a sixteen year-old girl, has a recurrence of brain cancer. Astrid, along with her boyfriend, Mohit, and best friend, Chloe, travel the U.S. in search of options for Astrid’s life. As Astrid learns options for her death, her family and friends must learn to selflessly allow her to make choices.

Opini
  • In Another Life
  • Teeth in the Mist
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World
  • When the Sky Fell on Splendor
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World #1)
  • Quarantine: A Love Story
  • Unnatural Disasters
  • If You're Out There
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Nick and June Were Here
Kate McGovern is the author of Rules for 50/50 Chances, which was called a “standout contemporary read” by Booklist. She lives with her family in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in a house full of books.