Start by marking “The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington” as Want to Read:

(Conspiracy)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  10,385 ratings  ·  1,575 reviews
In 1776, an elite group of soldiers were handpicked to serve as George Washington’s bodyguards. Washington trusted them; relied on them. But unbeknownst to Washington, some of them were part of a treasonous plan. In the months leading up to the Revolutionary War, these traitorous soldiers, along with the Governor of New York William Tryon and Mayor David Mathews, launched ...more
Published January 8th 2019 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about The First Conspiracy, please sign up.
Mike This is a true story about events, during the American Revolution, that reveal a plot against George Washington. The book includes quotations from doc…moreThis is a true story about events, during the American Revolution, that reveal a plot against George Washington. The book includes quotations from documents that were written during that time period. The plot even involves conspirators who were tasked with protecting Washington's life. Brad Meltzer, the author, is an excellent historian and storyteller.(less)

·  10,385 ratings  ·  1,575 reviews

Start your review of The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington
Brad Meltzer
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: favorites
Loved it. Duh.
Stephanie Hall
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, history
ARC sent to me by Flatiron Books.

Actually did not finish this, but it is the end of the year and I can't bring myself to continue reading a book that is so hard for me to read without throwing it down every page or so in frustration. I will say, I'm still very interesting in the subject. The writing style of Meltzer and Mensch just DID NOT work for me at all. Let's talk about why I stopped reading this at page 81.

1. Is this book seriously marketed for adults???? Because so much of it was dumbed
Matt
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
The time during America’s Revolutionary War was anything but peaceful, as many history books have explained over the years. When Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch came together to pen this book, they sought not only to explore some of the more confrontational aspects of the period, but also to uncover a little-known (read: documented) conspiracy against George Washington that seeped almost to the core of the Continental Army. The book opens by exploring some of the early goings-on within the colonies ...more
Ann-Marie "Cookie M."
You won't believe what happens in Brad Meltzer's latest book!

That's pretty much it, page, after page of foreshadowing, with some History Channel level prose to fill it up. In fact, I am pretty sure I already learned some of this back when I used to watch the History Channel.

And, that brings me to the title, "The First Conspiracy:The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington."
There was no known plot to kill George Washington. Not in any historical record, not in any handed down tradition. Meltzer a
Jean
This story takes place in 1776. It is about a secret plot by the British to assassinate George Washington.

The book is well written and extensively researched. The story jumps about following different people, but it all flows together. The author chose to write in the present tense which is unusual for a non-fiction book. The story reads like a novel and at times is suspenseful. I was amazed at the number of Continental Soldiers that were recruited as spies and saboteurs particularly among the L
Brian
Aug 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
“That in our lowest moments, we can find our greatest strengths.” (2.5 stars)

I don’t feel I am the intended audience for this pop nonfiction text, so I am a little leery of how to rate it. I am no worse the wear for having read it, and am glad that it appeals to people who might not read nonfiction and may pick it up. But for those who read history regularly, I am not sure what to think.
First off, by the authors' own admission the subtitle of THE FIRST CONSPIRACY is inaccurate. There was a secr
Tim
Jun 11, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Informative with no fault to be found in this historical fiction by Brad Meltzer. 9 of 10 stars
Cherei
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Totally enjoyed reading The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington by Brad Meltzer. My husband's side of the family is related via George Washington's eldest brother. It was pure delight to read about their relationship and how his brother helped George form the firm moral compass. Knowing right from wrong. Knowing that man should do what is right not for personal gain but simply because it's the right thing to do. A trait that remains in the family to present day!

As one wh
Scott  Hitchcock
2.5*'s

What irked me while reading this is the author kept trying to build fake suspense that came off like a bad TV documentary such as American Greed or How to Make a Murderer. Spoiler alert: they fail! I know shocking. You just cannot again and again try to breed false tension into a story so well know. Just tell the story.

Second complaint was only about a third of it was about the conspiracy. This was primarily about the start of the war. I think the title is a bit misleading.

The research w
W. Whalin
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unusual Story About George Washington and Early US History

I’ve read a number of Brad Meltzer novels and have enjoyed them. For THE FIRST CONSPIRACY, Meltzer teams with Josh Mensch and writes history about the early days of America. This book held my attention from beginning to end but it was definitely different than the Meltzer novels
Tbis history book enlightens readers about the origins of America’s counterintelligence and a previously untold part of American history. I enjoyed this book and
Gail
Jan 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Children
Recommended to Gail by: Other reviewers
It's hard to believe all the five-star reviews here. I found the writing to be irritating as it's definitely not for adults, but for elementary school children. Everything is overly simplistic, repetitious, and sensationalized. Somehow I stuck with it to the end even though it annoyed me. I have never read any other Brad Meltzer book and if he wrote them all like this one then I have no intention of reading them. ...more
Jazzy
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this, but it seemed like a 200-page book stretched out to 400+ pages. While the main topic of the book is what is named in the title, the book includes a lot of background information that doesn't always directly pertain to the assassination plot, and that sometimes has nothing at all to do with the plot. Sometimes, it's just background information on some of the people involved.

Having just completed Chernow's biography of GW a couple of weeks before I got The First Conspiracy, it was ni
Joann
Jan 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
The historical facts presented in this book are worth reading about and I was happy to learn new facts as well as remember some I knew. However, the writing is so inferior I can only rate the book with one star.
Elizabeth A.G.
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington is an interesting book about the little known history of the early days of colonialist grievances against the British and the plots of possible abduction and/or assassination of the Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army, George Washington. Brad Meltzer and co-author Josh Mensch have created a history book that is part mystery story, spy story, conspiracy story, biography, character study, and the story of the beginnings of coun ...more
Brian
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hope
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
I received an uncorrected advance reader copy as part of a Goodreads giveaway. I’ve been entering giveaways for over five years and finally got lucky, so I can assure you that real people win.

Pros: Written in an engaging, modern style and divided into 80+ brief chapters, The First Conspiracy is a propulsive read. It tells a story that I’d never heard before despite growing up in George Washington’s home state and taking at least three years of Virginia History in school. Each thread in the schem
Liz
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a story! I've been enjoying Brad Meltzer's books for years but this is the best of them all. Who knew that a tale of a secret plot against George Washington could be so riveting. This is an easy-to-read, engrossing story that reveals much about the early years of the American revolution. A solid recommend!
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway for this honest review.
Mike
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch

4 Stars

I found The First Conspiracy to be a very interesting account of a little known and seldom written about aspect of the American Revolution: a British plot to turn colonists (and especially colonial soldiers) to the British side and (possibly at least) to capture and perhaps kill George Washington and other colonial generals.

I won the book in a Goodreads giveaway, so first of all I’d like to thank
Ron
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Could I have foreseen what I have and am like to experience, no consideration upon earth should have induced me to accept this command.” GW

Two hundred pages of information crammed into four hundred pages of exposition. Ends every chapter with a teaser to the next and opens every chapter with a recapitulation of the previous materials. Often reintroduces each character with a short biography. As if they assume the readers can’t remember. Or they’re paid by the word.

“Though Washington doesn’t kn
Natalie
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Release date - 1/2/2019

This was an absolutely fascinating read! It read like a spy novel with many twists and turns, and it was crazy to think that the events I was reading about actually happened. I had no idea that there was a plot against George Washington even before the Declaration of Independence was signed, or that Washington was the creator of what we know as counterintelligence today.

I am not someone who normally gravitates to nonfiction, but this was written in a very compelling way.
Mary
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
An interesting slice of history that I don’t recall hearing about in school. However, the writing style conveyed that the target audience was middle school kids. The author on several occasions broke the plane between reader and impartial reporter of facts by injecting sophomoric remarks. The text often repeated information already revealed and the very short chapter breaks were annoying.

It appeared to be well researched and well documented with good footnotes. But I don’t plan on reading any o
Dustin
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
While the story itself is compelling and dramatic enough, Meltzer's buid-up to the conspiracy is really what makes this book so enjoyable. Particularly the story of the Long Island counterfeiters finding themselves wrapped up in the plot. ...more
Patricia
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
THE FIRST CONSPIRACY is an interesting read; I learned quite a lot of information which I was previously unaware. I only wish this book had included the entire war.
Yibbie
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
This left me feeling as if I was watching a History Channel documentary. I don’t mind an author getting passionate about his subject, but this takes history and tries to turn it into the next best-selling thriller. Rather than telling us what happened, the author filled it with flowery descriptive sentences that are fun to read but get repetitive and distracting after a while.
There really isn’t much to this conspiracy, so much of this book is sensationally written extraneous information that
Tony
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read-shelf
3.5 stars - I did enjoy the book and found it a fairly exciting read. I enjoy history, particularly the Revolutionary War period, and throw in a good Spy story and I'm SOLD! I have mixed thoughts though, regarding the book:

Pro's: The book contained A LOT of information that was new to me. Much of the information had supporting documents, so I felt the authors were sharing factual data and not too much opinion. The information regarding the "beginnings" of our intelligence/counter-intelligence or
Tom
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I applaud the Authors for bringing to light a little known conspiracy to kill or kidnap Washington and conceivably change the whole course of history . The book has some interesting and even informative moments but the writing leaves a lot to be desired. The book seems to be geared to the late night talk show " person on the street" who doesn't know that New Mexico is part of the United States. Every thing is simply explained and repeatedly explained. Despite being melodramatic at times the Auth ...more
Darcy
I clicked on this one when it showed up on my library's website, not really sure what it was about, no clue at all that it was non-fiction. As the book went on it seemed crazy, that it should have been a "historical fiction" take events. It does make a person wonder, how would the world have changed if they were successful. I also can't imagine how Washington felt as he was betrayed by those so close to him. ...more
David
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Set in the turbulent months of 1776 after George Washington is given command of the Continental army and before the mighty British army arrives in the colonies to put down the rebellion, this fascinating book tells the tale of dastardly plots, treason and the beginnings of the Intelligence service. An enjoyable and satisfying read for all.
Steve
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Informative story. Maybe a little too informative and that's why I gave it 4 stars. Mr. Meltzer went back over the same material a few times I felt. Still though, it is a good study in the "First Conspiracy" and although I know if the punishment for the main conspirator, I didn't know the back story. ...more
Nathan Albright
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
[Note:  This book was provided free of charge by Flatiron Books courtesy of a Goodreads giveaway.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.]

This book can best be considered as a historical mystery.  While I would have liked to have seen the footnotes, they were not provided in this copy, but rest assured that they provide some fascinating reading that the authors have uncovered in this fast-paced and dramatic volume.  Coming in at about 400 pages, this is not a short book, but it reads very quickly
Play Book Tag: [Flurries] The First Conspiracy, by Brad Meltzer, 2 stars 7 21 Nov 18, 2019 01:39PM

• Valiant Ambition: George Washington, Benedict Arnold, and the Fate of the American Revolution
  • George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution
  • The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West
  • In the Hurricane's Eye: The Genius of George Washington and the Victory at Yorktown
  • John Adams Under Fire: The Founding Father's Fight for Justice in the Boston Massacre Murder Trial
  • Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates: The Forgotten War that Changed American History
  • Bill O'Reilly's Legends and Lies: The Real West
  • Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans: The Battle That Shaped America's Destiny
  • The Quartet: Orchestrating the Second American Revolution, 1783-1789
  • Bunker Hill: A City, a Siege, a Revolution
  • Sam Houston and the Alamo Avengers: The Texas Victory That Changed American History
  • Signing Their Lives Away
  • Lincoln's Last Trial: The Murder Case That Propelled Him to the Presidency
  • Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan
  • The Return of George Washington: Uniting the States, 1783-1789
  • Killing the SS: The Hunt for the Worst War Criminals in History
  • Killing Crazy Horse: The Merciless Indian Wars in America
Brad Meltzer is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Inner Circle, The Book of Fate, and nine other bestselling thrillers including The Tenth Justice, The First Counsel, The Millionaires, and The President’s Shadow. His newest book, The Escape Artist, debuted at #1 on the bestseller list.
In addition to his fiction, Brad is one of the only authors to ever have books on the bestseller lis

Conspiracy (2 books)
  • The Lincoln Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill America's 16th President⁠—and Why It Failed

Articles featuring this book

"A generation which ignores history has no past and no future."   This famous quotation, from science fiction grand master Robert A. Heinlein,...
“After all, bragging and boasting aren’t honorable; what’s honorable is doing one’s duty and sacrificing oneself for a noble cause.” 1 likes
“reputation for integrity and honor is something you can take anywhere, and it will never let you down.” 0 likes