Start by marking “The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)

The Right Swipe

(Modern Love #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  5,439 ratings  ·  1,221 reviews
Alisha Rai returns with the first book in her sizzling new Modern Love series, in which two rival dating app creators find themselves at odds in the boardroom but in sync in the bedroom.

Rhiannon Hunter may have revolutionized romance in the digital world, but in real life she only swipes right on her career—and the occasional hookup. The cynical dating app creator controls
Published August 6th 2019 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Right Swipe, please sign up.
Sarah I haven't read /The Right Swipe/, but based on the description, it sounds like the contemporary romance novels by Alyssa Cole, Jasmine Guillory, Helen…moreI haven't read /The Right Swipe/, but based on the description, it sounds like the contemporary romance novels by Alyssa Cole, Jasmine Guillory, Helen Hoang, or Susannah Nix, all featuring nontraditional heroines. Definitely ask your local public librarians for more suggestions!(less)
SheReadHeSaid She is. She comes into town for Livvy and Nicholas' wedding. You learn she's loaded, a bit prickly, has revolutionized dating apps, hates to dress up,…moreShe is. She comes into town for Livvy and Nicholas' wedding. You learn she's loaded, a bit prickly, has revolutionized dating apps, hates to dress up, and has a good relationship with Gabe but butts heads a bit with their mom. She calls Gabe out on his intimacy issues and supports Eve's business plan, even suggesting she may invest.(less)

·  5,439 ratings  ·  1,221 reviews

Start your review of The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
“Rhiannon Hunter worshipped at the altar of no man.”

description

The Right Swipe was my first time reading Alisha Rai; filled with promising tones of empowerment and feminism, it held so much potential. Unfortunately, this one was not for me and while I loved discovering more about online dating and the power that female emancipation can show through text; I failed to enjoy it for what it was primarily advertised as -romance.

description
_______________

Our Characters
I will always credit an author for creating a
Melanie

RTC <3

Content and Trigger Warnings:
Sexual harassment, cyber bullying and harassment, domestic verbal abuse
(From Saniya’s short but amazing review that I love!)

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

This was the August pick for the Dragons and Tea Book Club!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Don't you just love it when a book lives up to your expectations? THIS WAS SO GOOOOOOOD. If you're looking for a sexy and smart romance with a strong ass female lead, THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU. I loved it SO MUCH.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
What’s the romance got to do, got to do with this book! What’s this heroin who hasn’t even second hand emotion! Who needs to read this book when it gives you only disappointment… TWO sulking, unsatisfied, B-list STARS are coming from red-haired lady!
( Special apologizes to legendary Tina Turner for the worst cover of her song)

This year I had terrible experiences with romance book, all my favorite writers shocked me with their haphazardly released non-creative stories with unlikable bunch of
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I've been dying to read this book based on that cover and the blurb, which sounded so enticing, even to a contemporary romance-hater like me. However, though I really enjoyed some aspects of the book, other parts didn't quite work for me.

I love how Alisha Rai gives us diverse MCs and feminist, sex-positive main characters. That's really important to me, and Alisha Rai totally delivered on that front. I liked the plot and the trajectory of the story, even if I had some issues with the
Whitney Atkinson
I knew before I was even halfway into this book that it would be receiving five stars, and holy hell was I right. This book did not hold back any punches and it offered such a profound story about powerful women of color that also was so touching that I was weeping throughout the last 20% of this book.

My list of things I enjoyed about this book is vast compared to a nonexistent section of things I didn't enjoy. I'll try and write a brief (read: long) list of things I adored about this book.

The
Warda
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this so much!
A female character who’s closed off, broken but runs a fuckin’ empire.
A soft, male character who just gets it, and is too damn caring.
I loved the story line and seeing how the characters developed.

My favourite Alisha Rai book so far.

———————

Here’s to hoping this books provides me favs and I something entertaining and swoon-worthy.
Yun
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's never good when my predominant feeling while reading a book is boredom. The Right Swipe should have been a fun, breezy modern-day romance, but instead it felt like slogging through 400 pages of molasses.

Almost from the first page, that spark of interest and excitement I should feel while reading a new book was missing. I thought if I kept going, it would eventually show up, but it never did. I think a large reason is that I just couldn't relate to the main female character, Rhiannon. She's
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Rhiannon Hunter worshipped at the altar of no man.

Sometimes, ratings and reviews are hard, and this is one of those times, because this is probably one of the most “meh” 4-star reviews I’ve ever given a book. I can’t find any good reason to lower it to 3 stars because it objectively has so much good stuff going for it, but when I think back on it — having finished reading it several weeks ago now — it feels like the sort of book I’ll forget about pretty quickly.

Rhiannon’s a likeable heroine
preoccupiedbybooks
Many thanks to Edelweiss and Avon for the E-ARC in exchange for an honest review!

I didn't hate this, but I didn't love it either...In fact I would probably have to swipe left

This is a tricky one for me to review! I was so excited to read it, that I requested an ARC (and got my first ever one from Edelwiess!). The cover was so pretty, and the synopsis sounded so much fun! But I don't think the book really delivered what the synopsis said it would?

I loved the diversity in this book!
Katrina
I'm not going to bother rating this one. It doesn't matter. This is a perfectly fine romantic arc. The male main character is lovely: big and gentle. That's the kind of male character I love and Samson is absolutely wonderful. His entire arc and the world around him was great. He's the real reason I finished this story.

The problem though, is with Rhiannon, or more specifically the author's representation of Black women in this book. There is absolutely no reason why an African American woman
Hollis
So I didn’t love this, which is obvious, and there’s a bunch of reasons for that but it’s mostly because I didn’t like the characters. Specifically, Rhiannon.

The plot opens up with our heroine fixated on the fact that she wants to buy up this eHarmony-esque dating site, one of the OG sites of its type, to expand her own app-based dating service. We see her drive, we see her reminisce about the one that got away, and who happens to be the new face of her competition’s marketing campaign? The one
Amy Risner

Book provided by Avon in exchange for an honest review.

This was my first book by Alisha Rai and wooooo boy, can she write romance! Don’t let this cute illustrated cover fool you. This book is packed full of racy and steamy scenes.

This book stars Rhiannon, a black woman who came from a poor family and has had to always work twice as hard to prove herself working in a male-dominated field (tech industry.) She is very career driven and smart. She also started her own dating app. While at a
Aoife - Bookish_Babbling
Edited to round this down to a 3* as after sleeping on my review I just didn't quite connect to these characters nor their romance in the way I did with KQ and RW&RB which I keep thinking about even now and still dip in to reread often...this book just didn't grab me like those did so my rating drops from 3.5*
However my love for the side characters & the themes tackled in the subplots 10/10 will continue the series and hopefully connect better with the next couples.

On with my OG review

megs_bookrack
Will my library audiobook hold on this book come through in time to participate in the Dragons & Tea Book Club readalong in August??

It's a gamble but I'm rolling the dice!!!!
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it

Rhiannon has been burned badly in the world of tech business, she decides her best revenge is to succeed. With the help of a friend, she starts her own dating app company, Crush, and wants to buy Matchmaker, one of the original online dating companies.

Samson ended his professional football career early in protest over how head injuries were being taken
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
In theory, the blurb for The Right Swipe was a treasure of romance book.
It had all the things I’m usually craving in my romance:
-Online dating
-One night stand
-Enemies to lovers
-Texting / emailing

Furthermore it’s delivered by an author I’ve had such a pleasure discovering through her previous series.
This book should have been a winner. Except it wasn’t. AT. ALL.

I was craving human emotions, angst, and all I got was a thesaurus for online dating terms.
I felt nothing for the characters.
Ok let me
✨ A ✨
I really enjoyed this which is surprising since I usually dislike books related to sports and such. Thought the male mc was sweet and wholesome and we need more Samson's in NA.

____
Buddy read with a bestie!!!
Jessica
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alisha Rai has become quite the popular name in romance lately, so I have been dying to pick up a book of hers. There are so many romances out now about dating apps and websites, but I loved how this one was about someone who actually owned a dating app company. I couldn't wait to read it!

Ever since Rhiannon left her old job on bad terms, she is determined to succeed by starting her own dating app with her best friend. Now, Rhiannon's app is very successful and she's looking to buy a competing
Tatiana
I've been trying and trying with these romcoms, but the problem is, these books are just not funny or fun. You've seen the best romantic comedies. Dialog is everything. You don't have snappy, fun, interesting dialog, you don't have a story.

This is the issue with The Right Swipe. This narrative is BORING! People are dull. They talk about dull, boring things. No amount of sex can make me continue reading something so charisma-less.
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
I feel like I'm having difficulty putting words to how I felt about this book because it wasn't a bad read but it also wasn't great. It felt like a generic read that may have been 'okay' at the time of reading but did not leave me with any lasting impression. It was a book that will be forgotten in the midst of similar stories being told within the same genre.

First and most importantly (to me), the romance felt a little bland, a little plain. Yes, there were romantic scenes that some would
may ❀
book #3 completed! for the contemporary-a-thon under the challenge of: "read a diverse contemporary"

this book was so strange, i seriously loved how it started off, give me the cold hearted, closed-off successful business woman and the soft, sweet, successful football player and put them in a relationship yesssss

but as the book progressed (im talking like,,,,,,,by chapter 4) it felt like they were both losing their personality and just becoming shadows of themselves. rhiannon is really focused
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: The Right Swipe
Series: Modern Love #1
Author: Alisha Rai
Release date: August 6, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre: romance

I wanted to love this book. No one can say that I didn't give it every opportunity to swing me away from apathy or frustration. I probably should have just accepted defeat, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt until the very end. Probably the biggest red mark against The Right Swipe for me is the heroine. She isn't the easiest to warm up to in the beginning, but I can't say I
Kate ☀️ Olson
(free review copy) I had such high hopes for this one and they were MET Steamy and modern and including many relevant current topics, Rai pivoted from her latest series, Forbidden Hearts, and created a whole new fabulous world. I don't want to say too much because this is such an early review, but here are a few things to know:

1) Tech + CTE in pro football
2) STEAMY but not at all erotica
3) so much diversity in characters
4) consent, consent consent + #MeToo
5) some long-time Rai fans have
Rachel Reads Ravenously
DNF 190 pages in

Nothing specific, I was just bored and didn't care what would happen.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This isn't out until August so I kind of jumped the gun but I needed a quick romance read in my life! And a new series from Alisha Rai, no less. Like all Rai's works this has diverse characters that show how romance can deal with consent and trauma and still be steamy. It asks if there is space for a second chance in a swipe left culture, and also tackles #metoo plus CTE in professional football players. Very enjoyable!

And for the fans, these are tangentially connected to the characters in the
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
After this book, I have decided to forgo any future books based on dating apps because I have been on too many and lived that life without needing to read books about it. It's not something I need and it's an idea I do not find interesting nor cute.

I have many thoughts (also no thoughts) on my poor rating for this book besides the fact that this book did not connect with me. AT. ALL. From the idea of the book to the main character being strong and overwhelming and frustrating and stubborn. But
Geri Reads
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is one of my most disappointing reads this year. And I had such high hopes since I had enjoyed Alisha Rai's books in the past.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed aspects of it. One, Samson is a fantastic hero. He's well developed and definitely one of the bright spots in this book for me.

I also like to point out that the way CTE was written and discussed was great. So why only 2 stars?

Well, the biggest reason for that was Rhiannon and the way her character was written. And I feel bad for writing
Lacey (Booklovers For Life)
Alisha Rai is a wonderful contemporary romance author. I love her love stories and her diverse characters. Her Forbidden Hearts series is FANTASTIC. So I had high hopes going into The Right Swipe and I wasn't disappointed! I enjoyed this one SO much. It's very steamy and the dating-app rivalry aspect was fun. It has its fluffy moments, but there are also so many good meaningful, emotional moments that made this book a well-rounded read.

The series is called Modern Love, which I think fits
Kate
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
*ARC provided by publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

Repeat after me: Alisha Rai writes excellent new-adult romance and deserves all the love and hype.

I'm not kidding! This was a fabulous introduction to a new series and consider me officially hooked. Not only are we getting an ensemble of new, intriguing characters, there are also mentions of some old favourites from "Forbidden Hearts" series (heroine, Rhiannon, is sister to Gabe from "Hurts to Love You" and has ties to the
Play Book Tag: The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai - 5 cathartic stars 7 12 Oct 01, 2019 01:19PM

• Fix Her Up (Hot & Hammered, #1)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • How to Hack a Heartbreak
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • The Friend Zone
  • Fumbled (Playbook, #2)
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Faker
  • A Prince on Paper (Reluctant Royals, #3)
  • Meet Cute
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • Love at First Like
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • Not the Girl You Marry
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)

Modern Love (2 books)
  • Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2)
“Every time you hurt someone, you break off a little piece of them. Not only do they have to live with that broken piece, then the next person who comes along has to figure out a way to spackle that spot. Your behavior has ripple effects.” 3 likes
“Every time you hurt someone, you break off a little piece of them.” 0 likes