Start by marking “The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)

The Right Swipe

(Modern Love #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  12,900 ratings  ·  2,376 reviews
Alisha Rai returns with the first book in her sizzling new Modern Love series, in which two rival dating app creators find themselves at odds in the boardroom but in sync in the bedroom.

Rhiannon Hunter may have revolutionized romance in the digital world, but in real life she only swipes right on her career—and the occasional hookup. The cynical dating app creator controls
Published August 6th 2019 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Right Swipe, please sign up.
Sarah I haven't read /The Right Swipe/, but based on the description, it sounds like the contemporary romance novels by Alyssa Cole, Jasmine Guillory, Helen…moreI haven't read /The Right Swipe/, but based on the description, it sounds like the contemporary romance novels by Alyssa Cole, Jasmine Guillory, Helen Hoang, or Susannah Nix, all featuring nontraditional heroines. Definitely ask your local public librarians for more suggestions!(less)

·  12,900 ratings  ·  2,376 reviews

Start your review of The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
Kat
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
i am on a roll this month with ANOTHER super solid romance!!!

even after reading only one of her books, i feel confident saying that alisha rai has a real talent for writing lovable characters and handling their struggles gracefully. i was surprised at how quickly i became invested in the character’s stories (usually dating app development and football injuries are not things that take up a lot of my limited brain space lol) and i feel completely satisfied with how everything wrapped up in the e
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
“Rhiannon Hunter worshipped at the altar of no man.”

description

The Right Swipe was my first time reading Alisha Rai; filled with promising tones of empowerment and feminism, it held so much potential. Unfortunately, this one was not for me and while I loved discovering more about online dating and the power that female emancipation can show through text; I failed to enjoy it for what it was primarily advertised as -romance.

description
_______________

Our Characters
I will always credit an author for creating
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Don't you just love it when a book lives up to your expectations? THIS WAS SO GOOOOOOOD. If you're looking for a sexy and smart romance with a strong ass female lead, THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU. I loved it SO MUCH.
Melanie

RTC <3

➽ Content and Trigger Warnings:
Sexual harassment, cyber bullying and harassment, domestic verbal abuse
(From Saniya’s short but amazing review that I love!)

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

This was the August pick for the Dragons and Tea Book Club! 🐉☕
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
What’s the romance got to do, got to do with this book! What’s this heroin who hasn’t even second hand emotion! Who needs to read this book when it gives you only disappointment… TWO sulking, unsatisfied, B-list STARS are coming from red-haired lady!
( Special apologizes to legendary Tina Turner for the worst cover of her song)

This year I had terrible experiences with romance book, all my favorite writers shocked me with their haphazardly released non-creative stories with unlikable bunch of char
emma
this full review is now posted on my blog!

also, i would like to formally apologize for how worked up i got about football in this review.

anyway, click here!: https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...

-----------

If this book was written, published, and read by Goodreads users the world over as part of an elaborate plan to teach me empathy, let me tell you: it worked.

I am usually on one side of the negative-rating equation, giving low ratings and rant reviews to people’s favorite books that they fi
Whitney Atkinson
I knew before I was even halfway into this book that it would be receiving five stars, and holy hell was I right. This book did not hold back any punches and it offered such a profound story about powerful women of color that also was so touching that I was weeping throughout the last 20% of this book.

My list of things I enjoyed about this book is vast compared to a nonexistent section of things I didn't enjoy. I'll try and write a brief (read: long) list of things I adored about this book.

The
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I've been dying to read this book based on that cover and the blurb, which sounded so enticing, even to a contemporary romance-hater like me. However, though I really enjoyed some aspects of the book, other parts didn't quite work for me.

I love how Alisha Rai gives us diverse MCs and feminist, sex-positive main characters. That's really important to me, and Alisha Rai totally delivered on that front. I liked the plot and the trajectory of the story, even if I had some issues with the personalit
Yun
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's never good when my predominant feeling while reading a book is boredom. The Right Swipe should have been a fun, breezy modern-day romance, but instead it felt like slogging through 400 pages of molasses.

Almost from the first page, that spark of interest and excitement I should feel while reading a new book was missing. I thought if I kept going, it would eventually show up, but it never did. I think a large reason is that I just couldn't relate to the main female character, Rhiannon. She's
Warda
I enjoyed this so much!
A female character who’s closed off, broken but runs a fuckin’ empire.
A soft, male character who just gets it, and is too damn caring.
I loved the story line and seeing how the characters developed.

My favourite Alisha Rai book so far.

———————

Here’s to hoping this books provides me favs and I something entertaining and swoon-worthy. 😁
Katrina
I'm not going to bother rating this one. It doesn't matter. This is a perfectly fine romantic arc. The male main character is lovely: big and gentle. That's the kind of male character I love and Samson is absolutely wonderful. His entire arc and the world around him was great. He's the real reason I finished this story.

The problem though, is with Rhiannon, or more specifically the author's representation of Black women in this book. There is absolutely no reason why an African American woman sh
preoccupiedbybooks
Many thanks to Edelweiss and Avon for the E-ARC in exchange for an honest review!

I didn't hate this, but I didn't love it either...In fact I would probably have to swipe left 🤣

This is a tricky one for me to review! I was so excited to read it, that I requested an ARC (and got my first ever one from Edelwiess!). The cover was so pretty, and the synopsis sounded so much fun! But I don't think the book really delivered what the synopsis said it would?

I loved the diversity in this book! Rhi
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Rhiannon Hunter worshipped at the altar of no man.

Sometimes, ratings and reviews are hard, and this is one of those times, because this is probably one of the most “meh” 4-star reviews I’ve ever given a book. I can’t find any good reason to lower it to 3 stars because it objectively has so much good stuff going for it, but when I think back on it — having finished reading it several weeks ago now — it feels like the sort of book I’ll forget about pretty quickly.

Rhiannon’s a likeable heroine
Jessica
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I received this book for free free as part of an Instagram tour (TLC Book Tours specifically) I did to promote the book.

I was really impressed with this book. This is the first book in Alisha Rai’s new Modern Love series which is an appropriate name for it since it reflects exactly that. It tackles a lot of timely issues, like dating apps, the #MeToo movement, and CTE in the NFL. It was so refreshing seeing a romance that was very on point with what is going on in today’s world. On top of that,
Hollis
So I didn’t love this, which is obvious, and there’s a bunch of reasons for that but it’s mostly because I didn’t like the characters. Specifically, Rhiannon.

The plot opens up with our heroine fixated on the fact that she wants to buy up this eHarmony-esque dating site, one of the OG sites of its type, to expand her own app-based dating service. We see her drive, we see her reminisce about the one that got away, and who happens to be the new face of her competition’s marketing campaign? The one
Amy Risner

Book provided by Avon in exchange for an honest review.

This was my first book by Alisha Rai and wooooo boy, can she write romance! Don’t let this cute illustrated cover fool you. This book is packed full of racy and steamy scenes.

This book stars Rhiannon, a black woman who came from a poor family and has had to always work twice as hard to prove herself working in a male-dominated field (tech industry.) She is very career driven and smart. She also started her own dating app. While at a conferen
megs_bookrack
Will my library audiobook hold on this book come through in time to participate in the Dragons & Tea Book Club readalong in August??

It's a gamble but I'm rolling the dice!!!!
Aoife - Bookish_Babbling
Edited to round this down to a 3* as after sleeping on my review I just didn't quite connect to these characters nor their romance in the way I did with KQ and RW&RB which I keep thinking about even now and still dip in to reread often...this book just didn't grab me like those did so my rating drops from 3.5*
However my love for the side characters & the themes tackled in the subplots 10/10 will continue the series and hopefully connect better with the next couples.

On with my OG review 😊

This was
ALet
Oct 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
I don't have a logical explanation why I disliked this book so much
jaime ⭐️
book 21 out of 100

rtc!

tw: sexual harassment, workplace harassment, talk of a past emotionally abusive relationship

read for book roast's O.W.L's Magical Readathon

youtubetwitterinstagram

Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
In theory, the blurb for The Right Swipe was a treasure of romance book.
It had all the things I’m usually craving in my romance:
-Online dating
-One night stand
-Enemies to lovers
-Texting / emailing

Furthermore it’s delivered by an author I’ve had such a pleasure discovering through her previous series.
This book should have been a winner. Except it wasn’t. AT. ALL.

I was craving human emotions, angst, and all I got was a thesaurus for online dating terms.
I felt nothing for the characters.
Ok let me am
Tatiana
I've been trying and trying with these romcoms, but the problem is, these books are just not funny or fun. You've seen the best romantic comedies. Dialog is everything. You don't have snappy, fun, interesting dialog, you don't have a story.

This is the issue with The Right Swipe. This narrative is BORING! People are dull. They talk about dull, boring things. No amount of sex can make me continue reading something so charisma-less.
WhiskeyintheJar
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it

Rhiannon has been burned badly in the world of tech business, she decides her best revenge is to succeed. With the help of a friend, she starts her own dating app company, Crush, and wants to buy Matchmaker, one of the original online dating companies.

Samson ended his professional football career early in protest over how head injuries were being taken
✨ A ✨
I really enjoyed this which is surprising since I usually dislike books related to sports and such. Thought the male mc was sweet and wholesome and we need more Samson's in NA.

____
Buddy read with a bestie!!!
Jessica
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alisha Rai has become quite the popular name in romance lately, so I have been dying to pick up a book of hers. There are so many romances out now about dating apps and websites, but I loved how this one was about someone who actually owned a dating app company. I couldn't wait to read it!

Ever since Rhiannon left her old job on bad terms, she is determined to succeed by starting her own dating app with her best friend. Now, Rhiannon's app is very successful and she's looking to buy a competing
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: The Right Swipe
Series: Modern Love #1
Author: Alisha Rai
Release date: August 6, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre: romance

I wanted to love this book. No one can say that I didn't give it every opportunity to swing me away from apathy or frustration. I probably should have just accepted defeat, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt until the very end. Probably the biggest red mark against The Right Swipe for me is the heroine. She isn't the easiest to warm up to in the beginning, but I can't say I
Bookishrealm
This...

Okay, so I rated this book four stars not for the romance but because of the social issues that it tackles. The romance, in my opinion, falls a little flat because the characters don't feel like they have chemistry. I enjoyed them individually, but it was quite difficult to visual them as a romantic couple. I loved that this book focused on a WOC that OWNED a dating app company and didn't just work there. Rhiannon reminded me of a lot of experiences that I've gone through as a Black woman
may ❀
book #3 completed! ✔ for the contemporary-a-thon under the challenge of: "read a diverse contemporary"

this book was so strange, i seriously loved how it started off, give me the cold hearted, closed-off successful business woman and the soft, sweet, successful football player and put them in a relationship yesssss

but as the book progressed (im talking like,,,,,,,by chapter 4) it felt like they were both losing their personality and just becoming shadows of themselves. rhiannon is really focu
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
I feel like I'm having difficulty putting words to how I felt about this book because it wasn't a bad read but it also wasn't great. It felt like a generic read that may have been 'okay' at the time of reading but did not leave me with any lasting impression. It was a book that will be forgotten in the midst of similar stories being told within the same genre.

First and most importantly (to me), the romance felt a little bland, a little plain. Yes, there were romantic scenes that some would enjo
mindful.librarian ☀️
(free review copy) I had such high hopes for this one and they were MET 🙌🏼 Steamy and modern and including many relevant current topics, Rai pivoted from her latest series, Forbidden Hearts, and created a whole new fabulous world. I don't want to say too much because this is such an early review, but here are a few things to know:

1) Tech + CTE in pro football
2) STEAMY but not at all erotica
3) so much diversity in characters
4) consent, consent consent + #MeToo
5) some long-time Rai fans have wonde

• The Worst Best Man
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • Take a Hint, Dani Brown (The Brown Sisters, #2)
  • Fix Her Up (Hot & Hammered, #1)
  • Not the Girl You Marry
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Party of Two (The Wedding Date, #5)
  • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
  • Blitzed (Playbook, #3)
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • The Friend Zone
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • Fumbled (Playbook, #2)
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • The Boyfriend Project (The Boyfriend Project, #1)

Modern Love (3 books)
  • Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2)
  • First Comes Like (Modern Love, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Mary Pauline Lowry knows a thing or two about being stuck at home when you don't want to be. After all, the premise of her newest novel, The...
“Every time you hurt someone, you break off a little piece of them. Not only do they have to live with that broken piece, then the next person who comes along has to figure out a way to spackle that spot. Your behavior has ripple effects.” 20 likes
“It's not a weakness to take care of yourself. Asking for and taking what you need to function should never be considered a weakness.” 7 likes