Start by marking “The People's Necromancer (The Age of Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
The People's Necromancer (The Age of Magic, #1)

The People's Necromancer

(The Age of Magic #1)

Craving a complex, daring Sword and Sorcery / High Fantasy? The Age of Magic series is reminiscent of the emotional roller coaster and grit of Game of Thrones with the wonder and danger of the upside-down from Stranger Things!

Amidst the darkest days of antiquity, mankind discovers a new kind of hero.

For thousands of years, mankind warred without magic. Peculiar abiliti
Published May 7th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The People's Necromancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People's Necromancer

Start your review of The People's Necromancer (The Age of Magic, #1)
Montzalee Wittmann
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The People's Necromancer
The Age of Magic, Book 1
By: Rex Jameson
Narrated by: Adam Gold
This book came at the necromancer a bit different. The opening scene has our hero at a grave site mourning his best friend. He is in such sorrow that he cries out to him in his grief to come back to him...well it scares the daylights out of him when he claws his way out and does just that! Now, this is a turn of events our hero did not expect!
From here on the book really gets wild! He is still his friend! I
Andrew
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book but it's lacking. Character depth is hardly there. It is difficult to really feel any sort of attachment to any of the characters. All efforts spent on imagery are wasted on gore only. The lordlings are about as stereotypical as it gets.
Aelvana
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Content warning: rape, incest, and violence against children

Ashton is grieving the loss of his best friend Clayton when the unthinkable happens: a hand pressing up from the dirt. Apparently his calls to Clayton to come back actually woke something up. Necromancy is only a vague legend, and Ashton has no idea why the dead respond to his call. But when tragedy strikes, his power offers the perfect opportunity to even the scales . . .

I could have done without the incest. I never liked Julian and hi
Fantasy Book Reviews | By Ambrose Crotts
Warning: Review is spoiler-free. Book contains extreme violence, gore, sexual assault, incest, and shocking descriptions of the undead.

Disclaimer: I received a free review copy of this book in exchange for my honest thoughts. Only I edited and wrote what you'll read below. Review appears on my blog, Goodreads, and Amazon.

Within us all there is a desire to be free and not to be hurt. Oftentimes reality, and all of our interacting natures, make that desire impossible to fulfill. We're injured and
Cath
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After thousands of years of war, without magic, magic has pretty much been banned and buries in long lost history and tall tales. Dark elves are rarely seen in mankind’s villages or towns nor are the paladins, those of magical lore. The golden age of man is coming to an end and all the regions are looking for power for themselves. Orcish hordes are attacking the southern borders, a strange darkness in the northern peaks and different human lords running raids on their neighbours to try and curry ...more
Claire
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Warning: This book contains rape, incest, extreme violence, and the undead.

This book did a good job of creating the setting for more to come, the world is well built and the characters are well written. However it left me wondering what the point was of anything that happened. There was a lot of violence and while some of it was used to provide motivations for other things that happened the whole thing just left me wondering 'why'.

I didn't like this enough to want to read the next book, but I
Luiz
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, dnf, fantasy
I bought this on promises of "rape, incest, and violence against children", "extreme violence, gore, sexual assault, incest, and shocking descriptions of the undead", "rape, incest, extreme violence, and the undead", etc, you get the gist. I was severely disappointed.

I am still puzzled how this unsettles people in a world where game of thrones is the most popular tv show out there. There's nothing here that's any worse than the first season of GoT (much to my disappointment). That aside, this i
Melissa Jane
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you like dark fantasy full of death, blood and gore along with grand verbose speaking, this is the book for you. At times there MC was like a scared little boy, which was a bit creepy as he was a full adult, a reckless magic user with no idea how he was accomplishing the Magic he was doing and then a long winded public orator. Frankly, the characters were all uninteresting and lacking in depth. I was very impressed with the book cover and purchased this mainly because of how evocative it was. ...more
Cathy
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from the author. I had the opportunity to review or not.

This is the first book of The Age of Magic series. As an aficionado of magic, sorcery and knights in armor, I looked forward to reading this tale. I was not disappointed. Mr. Jameson set the stage for exciting adventures with undead, mysterious Queens, fire demons and numerous other denizens.

Ashton loses his best friend and somehow revives him from the dead. He doesn’t even know how he did it, but as kin
John
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another one of those hidden gems. Not sure what drew me to this one but it was totally worth the read. A young man develops much hated and feared powers at the graveside of his friend who had died, bring him back. Fallen heroes of an age past show themselves, hated for their betrayal but not all were bad. A race of elves called the Dark Elves have spent millennia fighting a loosing battle against demon kind as their cities fall one by one. Myths and Legends, heroes and villains, lines start to b ...more
Charles
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an average, decent story about a young man who finds himself an unwitting necromancer in a typical medieval fantasy fictional world. He raises the dead but doesn't know how he got the ability. As the story progressed, I found I didn't connect or want to cheer for the MC. There's nothing remarkable or notable about him, his personality is pretty straight forward and a bit on the boring side. But, the story included the undead, battles, and the last part of the book it really began moving ...more
Travis
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is actually a hidden gem. Though it is somewhat slow, the author sets the books tone and stage right with exciting adventure, turmoil, undead, fire demons, and "The Queen".

It can be a bit gory for some people's taste. Story had good character development with the main character, Ashton. Had me really seeing how he felt and what would be like if something like that happened to me. The character development was lacking for the other supporting cast but believe it will pick up in the next
Cheryl
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Hmmm. A little gory for my taste.

This was an okay read for me. There was a lot of action in it. However, it was a bit gory for my taste. I also don’t understand why a town just up and burned a grieving widow thinking she either stole her late husbands body or was a necromancer. They had no proof of either other than the dirt under her nails which happened when they buried him. That was a bit much to me. The whole town turned against the poor girl. I didn’t care for that part myself. The rest was
Kristoffer Hess
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
What I enjoyed the most about this book was the ancient world this book sets up and the political and magical intrigue that sets the events of the book and series overall in motion. It has a lot of potential to be a good fantasy series with the different levels of conflict between characters, groups, and good vs multiple evils. I am looking forward to seeing where a second book takes this series.

I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
Edward Snell
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Left me ready for more

Overall the story was very interesting although felt lacking in the development of the other major characters, something that will begin to be addressed in the second book at least I am hoping as much. The development of Ashton in this book has been a very juicy beginning in what I hope is the start of an exciting series.
Paul Russell
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
It is an interesting book.

It's an interesting view on Necromancers in fantasy. It's pleasant to see Necromancers as the good guy in the story. Some of the writing throws me off a bit though.
Frank Geimer
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great storyline, I don't think that I've ever read a necromancer figure that was on the side of good before, but Rex pulled it off with flair. I can't wait to see what happens in the next novel.
Mike Milligan
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unexpected gem

While it sometimes feels a little tropey, I enjoyed this. But it does seem to have some tonal and pacing issues, there were a few times that I wasn't sure how seriously Jameson intended for it to be taken. But over all I found it enjoyable .
Julian Vanidoso
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Im hooked

Very interesting plot with strong characters. Took on a different angle in which the undead are used in stories and gave them an unusally noble purpose soaked in darkness. Im looking forward to moving on to the dark paladin next. Worth every penny spent.
Holly
May 31, 2018 added it
Not a dead read

I really enjoyed this book. It was original. It has a mix of laughter and darkness. Could relate to characters. Can't wait to read book 2.
Craig Jr.
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Compelling plot, intriguing characters, and a narrator that brings the world to life more than anyone I've seen. Adam Gold delivers a masterpiece.

What's better than a good-guy necromancer? This story has a very unique twist for a high fantasy. This necromancer isn't bad. In fact, he wants to do good. He brings people back from the dead, and they go village to village to stop the Red Army, who have been attacking villages. And the main character is aided the whole way by his undead friend.

This p
Mike
Sep 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Dnf
Noel Howell
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Awesome!

By turns brutally gritty and surprisingly light hearted, this novel was a pleasure to read and I look forward to the next installment!
Douglas
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I bought the audiobook on special. I wasn't expecting much. I enjoyed it. I'm not clamouring for the next in the series but I might give it a look.
Daniel Katz
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked it better before the MC turned whiney near the end, or I would have given it 4 stars
Kian
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not as good as I thought but at the end it gets interesting, maybe book 2 will be better. The characters need to have more depth and flavour to them.
Shukiri
Dec 17, 2018
Justin W Anderle
Sep 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Yesterday's Spacemage (The Spacemage Chronicle #1)
  • Today's Spacemage (The Spacemage Chronicle #2)
  • Regicide (The Completionist Chronicles, #2)
  • The Fourth Realm (Ten Realms, #4)
  • External Threat (Reality Benders, #2)
  • Shard Warrior (Crystal Shards Online, #2)
  • Rogue Dungeon (The Rogue Dungeon #1)
  • Summoner (Summoner, #1)
  • Raze (The Completionist Chronicles, #3)
  • The Crafter's Dungeon (Dungeon Crafting #1)
  • Shadow Magic (Darkling Mage, #1)
  • The Second Realm (Ten Realms, #2)
  • Blood Mage (Dark Impulse #1)
  • Advent (Red Mage, #1)
  • Southern Storm (Wild Wastes, #3)
  • Dante's Immortality: Beginnings
  • The Third Realm (Ten Realms, #3)
  • Necromancer (The Spellmonger, #10)
Rex Jameson is the USA Today Bestselling author of the Primal Patterns series, the Age of Magic series, and half a dozen short stories. An avid history buff and an unabashed nerd with an appetite for science fiction and fantasy, he loves to create complex speculative fiction with layered characters. He earned a PhD in Computer Science at Vanderbilt University and researches distributed artificial ...more

The Age of Magic (3 books)
  • The Dark Paladin (The Age of Magic #2)
  • The Dragon Prince (The Age of Magic, #3)

News & Interviews