Start by marking “Me And My Fear” as Want to Read:
Me And My Fear

Me And My Fear

When a young girl has to move countries and start at a new school, her fear tells her to be alone and afraid. How can she hope to make friends if she doesn't understand anyone? Surely no one else feels the same way...

From the award-winning author and illustrator of The Journey, this insightful and delicately told story shows that we can all find friendship and comfort when
Published September 11th 2018 by Flying Eye Books

To ask other readers questions about Me And My Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me And My Fear

Jane
Update: Since I first read this book several months ago, I've read a few other picture books addressing fear and anxiety. Although the illustrations in this one aren't my favourite, I think it has the best message I've seen about managing fear, so much so that I'm bumping this up an extra star. I love that it doesn't suggest you should eliminate fear altogether, only that it's important not to let it grow too big.

Original review:

Me And My Fear is a really insightful little book. Francesca Sanna
Angela
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb
This is brilliant! After a girl moves to a new country and new school, her anxiety and fear grow, isolating and paralyzing her until she discovers a friend who has fears of his own. Who knew so many kids feel the same way?
About change, anxiety, coping, and kindness.
Enjoyed the embodiment of fear into an adorable imaginary friend and the subtle humor in the art. Shows positive role fear plays as well as the danger in letting fear grow out of control.
Jen
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This book perfectly followed the book on Mr. Rogers I just finished. He was very focused on children and the fears they face. This book speaks perfectly to children dealing with fear.

The artwork was cute and gentle. It perfectly echoed the message of the prose. I loved the ending, with the pictures of everyone, the adults, children, animals, with their own little fear.

This book not only shows fear and what it can do, it also shows compassion and what that can do to the fear of others. Sweet bo
David Schaafsma
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Often anxious and fearful Francesca Sanna writes a pretty wise and helpful book for kids about fears, which she suggests can be useful, but not useful to get too big. The illustration has a fear in the form of a creature whose size is manageable. The immigrant girl comes to a new country, new school, and is afraid. Of course, she is not alone in having fears!
Danielle
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful book that shows the embodiment of fear and how it grows in a young girl's life as she transitions to a new country. I love the way the end shows that everyone has a fear and I hope this book is a comfort to children like the main character and an inspiration to other readers to welcome in and comfort anyone new to an unfamiliar place.

"But since we came to this new country, Fear isn't so little anymore."
Mathew
Following on from The Journey and in answer to many questions from children she met, Sanna tells the story of one of the siblings after they had moved to a new country. Tying in her own anxieties and fears when integrating into a new culture, Sanna shares with us the young girl's beginning days at her new school and the acclimatisation of herself and those around her to this new start.

From the seabirds flying in from The Journey's end, right at the start of this book, to the beautiful final dou
Yasmin Marsden
A young girl has a friend called Fear, who she takes with her on all of her new experiences and adventures. When she moves to a new school in a different country, Fear grows bigger and bigger to protect and keep the girl safe. But not everything is as bad as it seems when she builds a friendship with a boy in her class over a shared interest of art.

Sanna has personified an abstract emotion in a clever way in which children can relate to. I like how Fear isn’t JUST viewed as just a negative thing
Basma
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this too much that I had to own a copy. Beautiful writing, great message that I think can be applicable to anyone, and impeccable art - it's so lovely and so warm.
Jenn Lopez
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a fantastic, beautifully illustrated book about being the new kid and overcoming your fears. This book focuses on a girl who moved to a new country, but it fits for those kids who would move due to their parent's job like military kids. Although the writer admits to struggling with anxiety, it's not just a book for kids with anxiety. It's for every kid who had to move to a new place and feels they don't belong and are fearful of fitting in and learning about the new place. "Fear" is draw ...more
Molly
Francesca Sanna's art is adorable. It really makes this story come to life. A young immigrant girl finds that she is living with fear everywhere she goes - sometimes it's big, sometimes it's small, but it's almost always interfering with her life. When she starts a new school, she discovers something unexpected: every one of her classmates also has a fear, and they come in all shapes and sizes.

A beautifully illustrated book with an important positive message.

I received access to this title via
Jami Sailor
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
the personification of fear and how everyone has it.
beautiful
Laura (Book Scrounger)
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really loved the illustrations in Francesca Sanna's The Journey (which I included in my list of picture books featuring refugees). So when I saw she had a sequel out, I jumped at the chance to read it.

In a way, Me and My Fear picks up where the previous book leaves off -- a girl and her mother and siblings have fled a land of war (there are no national identifiers here in order to apply to the broader refugee experience). Here, she is trying to adjust to a new location where she is unfamiliar
Abbie Stagg
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book to follow Sana’a previous book ‘The Journey’, it is really effective in personifying fear and displaying it as a being that wants to stop you in your tracks doing what you want. It encourages children to fight their fears and overcome it. A lovely read.
Adeline Gravell
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: engaging, imagination
A great book to help children with starting a new school and becoming anxious. Can help with self confidence and helping children to overcome their fears.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
When I saw this book, it attracted me right away. Having a grandchild with severe anxiety, I though this book would be a good one. It is a beautifully illustrated book about being the new child in school and the community, and overcoming your fears. This book focuses on a girl who moved to a new country, but it fits for any child who has moved to a new school. I loved the depiction of the girl's fear and how it increased in size as her fear increased. This is a book that would be beneficial to a ...more
Jared White
A little girl has a little Fear, which is good sometimes, because it can help to keep you safe (like cause you to be cautious around strange dogs, busy roads, etc.). But when she moves to a new country, her little Fear begins to grow and grow, until it keeps her from doing almost anything and makes her angry and frustrated. But then something happens which begins to slowly change her big Fear into something more manageable.

I wouldn't necessarily call these illustrations beautiful (at least in my
Tara
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Captivating. I read this standing up in my local bookstore. So beautiful illustrated. So beautifully articulated. So lovely. Nearly bought one for me and a friend. No children would have been involved, but I think it's also amazing for kids -- both for befriending their fears and building their empathy for others (especially immigrants). Sweet story, great pictures, even some humor. What more can you ask for in a picture book?
Lynn  Davidson
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely story about a child who has fear all the time. The story mainly centers around a child having just moved to another country, but it also shows that everyone is afraid of something and it is possible to overcome one's fear. Wonderful encouragement to anyone with fears that hinder them. Great illustrations.
Rachel
Gorgeous illustrations and an uplifting lesson about fear and anxiety. I'm a super anxious person and I wish a book like this had been in my life when I was a child! I'll definitely be recommending this book to families at the library when they are looking for empowering books for kids.

Thank you to Nobrow for letting me read an advanced copy.
Earl
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful story about the fear we all carry along with us. Reminds me of What Do You Do with an Idea? in the way that it presents an abstract idea but in such a very understandable way. Beautiful art.
Xavier Edward
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the detail is really nice i like what the fear represents and the drawing so good!
Garrett
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
Fear can keep you safe OR RUIN YOUR LIFE. Either way, though, it's a giant, puffy marshmallow man. How cute!
Ann Santori
Really great for developing social-emotional intelligence and understanding of anxiety/fear. Beautiful illustrations and a satisfying narrative arc.
Kelly
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love that the author gives a physical image to fear. A girl is walking around with fear, and it grows. Until she meets a new friend.
Lorna Stephens
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book which addresses a challenging topic in a very comforting and empathetic way
Ina
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this sweet book with awesome illustrations, a child's fear is a visible tangible thing. Fear grows when the child moves to a new country and grows even larger when she has to start school. Fear keeps her safe...but it also gets in the way and prevents her from doing things she wants to do. Fear gets smaller when a classmate reaches out to her and they become friends. Her new friend also has a secret fear (don't all children have them?) and as the friendship grows and our heroine begins to fee ...more
Jillian Heise
Many kids will relate to this book. A great choice for SEL - anxiety - and building community - we all have our fears. From the author/illustrator of The Journey, this could be seen as a companion text as it tells the story of a girl who is in a new country where she doesn't know the language and has fears about going to school and navigating everyday life. It can be read alone, but seems to become more poignant with the connection between the two books.
TaNera Rodriguez
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great way to teach children about fears and overcoming them. It also touches on a subject matter that may seem foreign to some preschoolers but is the reality for others; coming to a new country. It helps kids see a new perspective.
Cheriee Weichel
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
We all have things we are afraid of, but mostly they don’t get in the way of our living our lives. Francesca Sanna shows us what happens when these fears get out of control.
I appreciate the diverse collection of students shown in these charming illustrations.
Alison
This book would serve as a great way to explain fear and moving past your fears to a young child. It also shows that we all have fears that we carry around with us but that doesn't mean we can't do the things we love.

A young girl has a friend named Fear and she comes to discover that fear can come with her as she moves through life without being the biggest thing in her life.
  • Der Besuch
  • Jack's Worry
  • Bird, Balloon, Bear
  • Nope
  • The Patchwork Bike
  • Giraffe Problems
  • Niko Draws a Feeling
  • I Hate My Cats (A Love Story)
  • There Might Be Lobsters
  • Archie Snufflekins Oliver Valentine Cupcake Tiberius Cat
  • Carmela Full of Wishes
  • Charlotte the Scientist Is Squished
  • Little Brown
Francesca Sanna is an Italian illustrator and graphic designer based in Switzerland. After she finished her studies in Cagliari, the main city of her beloved Mediterranean island (Sardinia) she said goodbye to her family and her cat (Berta) and moved to Germany before and Switzerland after, in order to follow her dream and be able to work as illustrator. She graduated with honors in 2015 the Lucer ...more