Start by marking “Skywave” as Want to Read:
Skywave

Skywave

(The Rorschach Explorer Missions #1)

No one knows what to make of the mysterious clicks.

To Ajay Joshi, the amateur astronomer who discovered the strange sounds with his radio telescope, the clicks represent proof of aliens on Callisto, a moon of Jupiter, a theory dismissed as quackery by space agency radio experts. They contend the clicks are nothing more than terrestrial interference, so-called skywaves, or
Published December 14th 2018 by Leaping Leopard Enterprises, LLC

Start your review of Skywave
Mal Warwick
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
If you’re old enough to remember the moon landing in 1969, you may recall reports that the astronauts saw strange flashing lights as they approached Luna. In fact, other astronauts who followed Apollo 11‘s Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins have reported similar experiences. Naturally, NASA as well as independent scientists have a ready explanation for the phenomenon. But what if they’re wrong? What if those lights actually represent something other than cosmic rays interacting with the astronauts’s ...more
Mark Rabideau
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very entertaining novel. The science was a little lighter than I normally prefer, but that is my only complaint. The cast of characters were credible and interesting. The plot was inventive and engaging; a very good read. I look forward to the next novel in this series; and, may even go so far as to read some of his first series...
Santos
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Janice
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, kindle
I picked this book because it was on sale, and the premise looked interesting.

Unfortunately, it didn't really work for me.

There's a billionaire funding his own space program. (Have I mentioned recently how sick I am of reading about billionaires???) He apparently has unlimited funds, because some of the stuff that happens seems like it would require unlimited funds, and no oversight. I know people like stories of clever and/or rich men (usually it's men) who skirt rules to do something "new", bu
Jerry Mount
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting Sci-Fi story. I liked the set up and mix of characters involved, especially Ajay. I'd guess that space scientists & engineers could find substantial holes in some of the science and space operations presented, such as propulsion, communication and control, and electromagnetism. But nothing struck me as obvious BS. I found that the conflicts between a private, non-government space program, NASA, and the US Government/Military seemed very forced and over-dramatized. As in the prequel UMO, ...more
Clare Anderson
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than prequel UMO

I enjoyed this more than the prequel which didn’t move as fast and had too much politics and bad blood with the military. This had some of that ‘the military doesn’t trust what it is not in control of and shoots without thinking.’ So I don’t think it shows the diversity of good and bad characters in the political, military, and business sectors but treats each sector with one characterization. But in doing so, it makes the story easier to read and a fun sci fi. If you are
D. E.
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A KPD. SYFY. Novel (TREMB. - 1)/A Unique Introduction to Space. The Final Frontier

KPD. has. penned a SYFY. Novel About three astronauts and their space flight. The idea presented about the UMO''s. Seems to be a new idea, but if I remember. correctly the Starship Enterprise met the UMO's. Recently the Starship Discovery met the UMO's. KPD. gave a lot of thought to develops the plot for his new series about the UMO's. I look forward to the next installnent. This is an excellent read for the genre.
Jed
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, but quite slow

This is vaguely like The Martian. The part 30% off the book is particularly good and toy really start to feel the injustice and empathize with the characters. I fully plan to read the next book in the series. However, the amount of science, politics, and general chatter that doesn't drive the story forward killed the pacing for me and I almost stopped reading a few times. Personally, if this information was more compressed and succinct, I wouldn't have been able to put
Rob Morton
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very, very nice

On the heels of reading “UMO,” this book answers a lot of questions and once more shows the US government being a bunch of self-serving idiots as they go out of their way to cover up the existence of the UMOs and the Cestus Prime mission... and the total mess they made including attacking American citizens who were looking for answers to a signal that originated on Callisto, a Jovian moon... and a signal that shouldn’t have been there.

This book is a whirlwind ride so seal your he
Joe Slavinsky
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled upon this book, on the "NEW FICTION" shelf, at the library. Lucky me! Books like this are what got me into science fiction, over 50 years ago. Not a lot of "action", but there was a tenseness to the story that kept me turning pages. There was enough hard science to make the plot plausible, and I liked the characters. I'm looking forward to "Magwave", the next volume in the series, and since I don't only read science fiction, I'll look into Donoghue's "Anlon Cully" series, as well.
Jamie Rich
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skywave (The Rorschach Explorer Missions, #1) by K. Patrick Donoghue

A solid beginning to the series.

Decidedly good, scientific SciFi. Set in today, but a bit of alternative very recent past. I usually eschew alternate histories, but this one works. Also a bit long winded, but I kept turning the pages.
The characters do come alive, and are subtly nuanced, so even though the plot is a bit slow, you get to know who you are dealing with.
Ronald SmithJr
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Read UMOs

If you want a good sci-fi read, look no further. I enjoyed this more than i can say. Well thought out and written, the author has developed a very good story, excellent characters, and tied it all together to invite suspension of disbelief where warranted and credibility elsewhere. Many of these series books are boring and a waste of time. But not this one, I can't wait to see the chapter.
Geoeng51
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book but I almost didn't read it!

The story is interesting, with a great mix of science, strong characters and action. It's a real page-turner. However, the Prologue was so funky and disjointed that I almost didn't read the book. Fortunately for the author (and for me), I was tired and nodding off, so the next day I decided to give the book another try. Once I got into the main part of the story, the pace and interest level just kept accelerating. Well done, Mr. Donoghue!!
Richard L.
Very slow read. It was hard to force myself to complete the book.

The characters are not believable. They seem too emotional. A secret about alien life wouldn't be kept for 23 years considering the number of people who knew the truth. The death of their astronaut friends would compel those in the know to gather the needed info and tell the whole world.

I won't read the next book in the series. There are other books that need to be explored.
Dow
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read!

Really liked this plot. Very interesting and kept my interest up so much so I couldn't put it down. By the way, there are no grammatical or spelling errors, for those that hate that. This is just good hard scifi in the here and now. Reminds me of James P. Hogan, whose stories I love. Definitely a winner and an author I'll be following from now on.
Terri
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fans of hard science fiction, this book is for you! I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It contains plenty of great science (I fact check e:verything!) and rich descriptions. There is plenty of good suspense and Mr. Donohue has done a great job with the pacing of the novel. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone, just kick back and enjoy :)
jboyg
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid Earthbound SFer That Teases More Than It Satisfies

It's well-written with some interesting science but ultimately less than satisfying, seeming to be more of an elaborate introduction to what may or may not come to pass in the sequel. The jury is still out as to whether or not I will read the next book.
Sarah Hunter (Bireley)
Make this into a movie!

I must admit, the author almost lost me about a third of the way in when I got bogged down in ion-jargon, but I pushed thru and loved it. I had very vivid images of each character and scene. I think the author has NYT Bestseller talent, and I can't wait for the next one!
Ed Tinkertoy
This was a cute and somewhat interesting story. It also has a somewhat surprise ending. But all that aside the science fiction, in my opinion, is not believable. And that's because we have all witnessed the successful launch of many space probes and crafts and none have been attacked by UMO's, unidentified magnetic objects. So the story line is a stretch of the imagination.
Joseph W. McLaughlin
Brilliance Uearthed

My first, and certainly not my last read of this author. Outstanding story of hard sci-fi, my favorite. New and challenging concepts throughout the story. Importantly their plausibility seems valid. I look forward to reading all of the author’s work. This was a fun trip.
Thomas G. Peterson
The cover-up is uncovered

This second book in this series is if anything more exciting than the first.
The core of the intrigue unfolds as rapidly as the spacecraft described.
The third book is sure to be equally gripping. I'm sorry that I must weight for it's release at the end of July. But such is life, but I have preordered it.
Tom Mahan
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars for this one, lost a half star for excessive technical tediousness that bogged down an otherwise great read. A great premise (mysterious signals from a moon of Jupiter) was wasted when the you were told early on what that was all about. A great first contact story was lost right there.
Leslie Hysom
Great Story but Too Many Acronyms

I really enjoyed the book and would have given it 5 stars if the acronyms had been limited. There was no list of definitions and right in the middle of an exciting part of the story I had to stop to figure out what the abbreviations stood for. Even the X-ray did not have a list.
Peter Bruyns
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

This is a really new take on the exploration of Space. It reads as if it's the authors first try but we must all learn somehow and professional editing is expensive. I like the way we first meet other intelligence and it should be a lesson to those who thought Voyage 1 was a good idea.
John
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lost space probe, magnetic aliens, and a kooky accountant turned space nerd come together with a billionaire space contractor to make an interesting story. Throw in a president with some really bad advisors (SECDEF and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs among others) and you can add some real quirky twists to an already unusual scenario. Great story!
Jonkoch
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling read

I found the story exciting and I didn't want to put it down! It was a new style I've not really read before, I liked all the technical terms and ways that it made me think differently than other books have. Please give it a chance if you're into space exploration and a bit of fantasy.
Roger T. Pritchett
The story was different and interesting drawing you to participate in the story and not letting you put it down. I thought the government segments especially the military made them appear a little too stupid but then the story would not have had an appropriate villain other then the UMO’s. I bought the second book right away and continued the story. Couldn’t get enough.
Pat Dant
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I only give 5 stars when I am captured in the moment from reading a book. This is a great hard science fiction story, with intrigue and an excellent plot. The characters are believable and the complexity of the plot was enjoyable. I hope this book is in the running for a nomination.

Pat Dant
Daniel
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

Exhilarating novel and captivating story by KPat. I followed the Anlon Cully series and downloaded this on Kindle on a whim to get more in KPat-Verse. Highly recommended and I can’t wait for the next in the series.
Guyla Pilger
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique concept

Interesting read. Interesting characters. Government cover up, tiny little "aliens".(read the prequel). Anticipating the sequel. If you enjoyed The Martian, you'll like this series!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Proxima Dreaming: Hard Science Fiction (Proxima Trilogy Book 3)
  • Proxima Rising (Proxima Trilogy, #1)
  • The Rift: Hard Science Fiction
  • Proxima Dying: Hard Science Fiction (Proxima Trilogy Book 2)
  • Artifact (The Artifact Series Book 1)
  • Silent Sun: Hard Science Fiction
  • The Triton Disaster
  • Prelude to Extinction
  • The Hole: Hard Science Fiction
  • 3zekiel
  • Mars Nation 1: Hard Science Fiction (Mars Trilogy)
  • Waves on Mars (The Artifact Series Book 2)
  • Another World
  • Oracle
  • The Enigma Cube
  • Deep Black
  • New Eden
K. Patrick Donoghue is the author of two series; the Anlon Cully Chronicles, an archaeology-based mystery-thriller series, and the Rorschach Explorer Missions, a new sci-fi thriller series.

Patrick's inspiration for the Anlon Cully Chronicles is rooted in his long-standing interest in ancient civilizations. In particular, a series of still-unexplained archaeological discoveries that suggest at lea

The Rorschach Explorer Missions (2 books)
  • Magwave (The Rorschach Explorer Missions Book 2)