Start by marking “How Rude!” as Want to Read:
How Rude!

How Rude!

Join Dot and Duck in a simple, yet hilarious, story about kindness, manners, and friendship that gets more and more chaotic with every turn of the page!

Dot invites Duck to a tea party, but from the moment Duck enters the house, the tea party descends into chaos; from licking sandwich fillings to spitting tea, Duck gets ruder…and ruder…and ruder. Just how will Dot react t
Published October 16th 2018 by words & pictures

To ask other readers questions about How Rude!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Rude!

Start your review of How Rude!
Jane
How Rude! is a bit of a silly little book that would be ideal for helping to remind little ones about appropriate behaviour and manners. We follow Dot as she becomes frustrated when Duck, a guest at her tea party, shows increasingly rude behaviour.

I'd hoped there might be a bit more sharp wit at play here, but instead it's just fun and silly. I'd imagine quite a few little ones will find several of the pages very amusing, and the manners message here is strong. Much more readable than the Do
Dana-Adriana B.
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Duck is transforming a tea party in a messy meeting because Duck is....rude. The illustrations are really cute, I liked the idea of look around us and care about others, even though the story is a bit too much in my opinion.
Thank you Netgalley for this book.
Etienne
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good and well illustrated story about good manners and how not having them or behaving properly can offend some people and why. Simple but very good, on a subject not much written on and very important in an age were good manners, with kids, are not necessarily a priority. We live in an period of time where, at least where I'm from, we excuse everything children does on the fact that they are children. Yes children don't understand all and sometime behave badly not willingly but it doesn't mean ...more
B.A. Wilson
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Duck comes to tea and makes himself at home….too at home, to the point of being very rude. This is almost a reminder that when you get comfortable with people, sometimes you can cross lines and upset them, hurt their feelings, or be rude, without really thinking about it. This story is a good argument for being polite and self-aware, which you can discuss with children on a basic level.

The artwork includes simple lines drawings with shading and added colors. It’s cute and consistent between pag
Ann
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How Rude! is a sweet story about an afternoon tea party gone awry when Duck forgets his manners. As the story progresses, Dot becomes frustrated with Duck''s behavior. The expressive illustrations allow the reader to interpret feelings of the characters. While the text is basic, it is engaging while teaching kids how their ill-mannered behavior makes others feel.

Thank you NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group!!
Genevieve Trono
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a cute and engaging book about learning good manners. This book has a simple message that uses friendship, frustration and humor which I think is great for a preschool audience. The illustrations were beautifully done and did a great job of showing facial cues as well that showed how Dot was getting more and more frustrated when Duck was becoming more disrespectful with his behavior.

This was a very relatable situation for young kids and I liked that we were able to see Dot's frustratio
Lana
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this duck! How Rude offers a wonderful lesson on manners. When the duck arrives for a tea party he hasn’t the first clue as to how to behave! He barges right in, dropping his stuff at the door, and starts barking demands for food. His friend is completely dumbfounded! Will their friendship survive this tea party?!
Always fun to share these lovely lessons on manners with my preschoolers! I will be sharing this book tomorrow with my class, should make for a great discussion.
Jo
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a book about manners. Duck is the rude guest that Dot is hosting.

This would be a great story to use to show the do's and don't behavior in class or at home. It's a good discussion piece that are great for a classroom setting.

I'd recommend it as part of your book collectioIt's a book about manners. Duck is the rude guest that Dot is hosting.

Donna Maguire
I liked the story but I found it to be a bit basic, it teaches younger children about why they shouldn't be rude and how it can make others feel. The story was easy to follow but it could have done with a bit more text for me as sadly this is one I could only see being read maybe once or twice. Nice images though - 3.5 stars!
Storywraps
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This gem of a book is a must-have in every home, classroom and library. It highlights one of the almost forgotten arts in our culture... manners!

Dot prepares a lovely afternoon tea and invites her friend Duck to attend the event. Right from time that Duck puts his foot inside the front door (which is by the way a muddy foot ) the sweetness of the event sours.

Duck displays atrocious manners: he throws his scarf and hat on the floor and demands that Dot hang them up, he puts his soiled feet up o
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

This book didn't hold our attention. I think How Rude! had the potential to be more than it was, and would have benefited from more dialogue. We see Dot becoming increasingly frustrated with Duck, but Dot never actually communicates her feelings. We always tell our children to use their words to express thei
Audrey Perry
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Duck comes over to a lady named Dot’s house and is very rude to Dot. Duck barges through the door, complains about the food, and tries to eat all of the cake. Dot cannot take it anymore and eats all the cake by herself. They realize how rude they have been to each other, apologize, and become polite to each other.

A major theme in this book is manners and how being rude makes others feel.

I thought this book was a fun and silly book. You can see Dot getting increasingly angrier about how rude Du
Becky B
Dot, a little girl, invites Duck over for tea. But Duck is a horrible guest with no manners at all. Dot gets more and more frustrated to the point she forgets her manners, and then apologies are necessary.

I like that this includes manners which are applicable just about any time. Some manners books seem to focus more on etiquette one must remember when visiting the Queen, but aren’t all that important if you’re just over at a friend’s house. Duck does things like dump his clothes on the floor, s
Sharon
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, childrens
Quarto Publishing Group and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of How Rude! I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Dot invites Duck to a tea party, but her guest is simply not very gracious. Rude and inconsiderate to Dot and to her home, how will she help Duck to see the error in his ways?

How Rude! is a very simple book about manners that young children will be able to understand. Getting angry over another's behavior is a natural response and I w
Noah Rachal
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
So the story involves two characters, a duck and a little boy named Dot. The little boy Dot is trying to take care of the duck's needs by getting him food, drink, and anything else he needs. The duck is completely mindless about his behavior and does unmannerly things such as demanding that Dot hurry up while getting him things, eating and making a mess, and completely disregarding any consideration for Dot. he never acknowledges when he is rude either. The duck demands a piece of cake and asks ...more
Wayne McCoy
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
'How Rude!' by Clare Helen Welsh and Olivier Tallec is a picture book about rudeness and how it can escalate.

When Dot invites her friend Duck over, Duck is rude from the outset, not saying hello and tracking mud in to the house. Duck continues to be unapologetic for casting his coat on the floor and sniffing his nose at the food Dot has prepared. When Dot retailiates, they both realize things have gotten out of hand.

It's a pretty silly book that makes its point pretty bluntly. The rude behavior
Natasha Brown
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
How Rude... by Clare Helen Welsh, Olivier Tallec is a book about basic manners. Told using a yellow duck and a small book, this book is a simple reminder of how manners play an important part in everyday life.

Simple things such as picking up after yourself when you enter someone's home, saying hello, and being a picky eater are all things we as adults know not to do, but sometimes children need a reminder. This book is a great way to get children to understand how simple actions can be perceived
Gabrielle Palmisano
This book is great to teach children about the “what not to do” of manners. I say that because the main character Duck is very rude at a tea party he was invited to by Dot. Duck spits his tea out because he doesn’t have any sugar in it and Duck insisted on a piece of cake before it was offered to him. Dog then eats the cake and doesn’t save any for duck. The two realize they d made a mess at this tea party and make up. The illustrations in this book look like they’ve could’ve been computer anima ...more
Kayla Angeletti
Oct 28, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was OK. This was about a rude duck who went to a friends house and ruined everything because he was rude. He ate all of the food, drunk everything, and made a huge mess. I don’t really like how it took for the other character to be rude back in order for the first character to see how rude that he was. The book got better towards the end when they both apologized for being rude to each other and started being nice and showing manners. The illustrations in this book were also very plain ...more
Paul Franco
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Little girl invites her duck friend over for a tea party. Things do not go as planned. . .
This duck is a jerk. To be fair, there have been other jerk ducks, especially in old cartoons, but this one takes it to a new level. I’m surprised the little girl held out that long. At least she didn’t reach for a shotgun.
Considering all the trouble Duck caused, he sure turned on a dime, and she forgave him way too quickly. I would have preferred less mayhem and more thought from both of them, if there was
Noura
Feb 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
The story is a simple one. It is that of a little kid, Dot, and their friend the seemingly rude Duck.

The concept and illustrations are charming but it seems to be lost in the actual story. It gets somewhat repetitive which is not exactly what one would want in a 32 page book.

However, I read enough that I would still be interested in reading more of this authors work and sharing it with the little ones in my life.
Andreea
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was sent a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

How rude! I really had bigger expectations from this book - especially since thanks to Full House "How rude!" is my favourite thing to say. I did not feel like this book delivered. It was predictable and not funny - at least not as funny as the expression was in Full House.

It's not a bad book for kids, but not one that I feel I will reach out for a lor.
Marcia
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This cute story is about Dot and her friend Duck. Duck is being very rude at the nice tea party Dot has kindly spread out for him. The words are filled with humor and the expressive illustrations are adorable. This is a wonderful book that shows why it's important to be polite and how people might feel sad when others are rude to them.
Cat
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Funny book! I think littles may enjoy this story while learning manners. Duck is invited to a tea party and behaves very, very badly. Then he gets a taste of his own medicine and all ends well- with good manners! I loved the illustrations and am sure littles will enjoy the terrible antics in the story!

I received a Kindle ARC in exchange for a fair review from Netgalley.
Giorgiana
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have found the little book 'How Rude!' as a good tool to teach the little ones how important is to know how to behave around our friends. It's definitely a good first book for the children who are just learning how to read or even the ones who don't know yet but have someone in their lives to read it for them.
Wendy
This is only my 3rd book sent to my new Kindle. I must be doing something wrong because the formatting was a mess. The illustrations were adorable while the wording was simple and easy to read. Although, for children, I would have used a bolder font.
A great lesson learned. American children would easily understand "tea" but not the "biscuits". We call them cookies..
Sheri
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Story about Dot's tea party which Duck comes to and he is rude and eats all the food and makes a mess. And after Duck takes things he doesn't like, eats most of the treats, and drinks all the water in the flowerpot, they make up. But only after Dot does something that Duck thinks is rude.
Heather Strickland
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a great book for young readers to learn about rude behavior. I loved the colorful illustrations against the background of the pencil drawings. The book is an easy read for new readers. Just the right amount of silliness to keep the young reader engaged.
Jane
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A funny picture book about Dot and Duck. Perfect for children.

Thank you to Quarto Publishing Group - words & pictures and NetGalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Clockwork_princess
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not many people mean to be rude. Choose not to give in to drama. No matter how other person acts, you own your behavior. So choose kindness instead of rudeness.

Loved this book 4/5 stars.

• Nobody Hugs a Cactus