Start by marking “Freefall” as Want to Read:
Freefall

Freefall

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  7,474 ratings  ·  1,275 reviews
The life that she's built for herself - her perfect fiance, their world of luxury - has disappeared in the blink of an eye. Now she must run, not only to escape the dark secrets in her past, but to outwit the man who is stalking her every move.

On the other side of the country, Allison's mother is desperate for news of her daughter, who is missing, presumed dead. Maggie ref
Published January 8th 2019 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Freefall, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Brynn
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Selena
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  7,474 ratings  ·  1,275 reviews

Start your review of Freefall
Emily May
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the kind of pulpy, plot-based read that you can power through in a single sitting, preferably on the beach or during a plane ride (if the plane crash aspect doesn't make you too nervous). The short chapters keep the pacing up and make it easy to zip through.

However, seasoned thriller readers might be a little disappointed by the lack of surprises. Most of the plot is fairly easy to predict and the one promised "twist" felt a lot more like deus ex machina to me. That being said, this can
Larry H
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't know about you, but sometimes when I'm reading a book, something about the title triggers a song (or even two) in my brain, something that keeps running through my head the entire time. Needless to say, I was glad I devoured Jessica Barry's Freefall in one day, because I don't know if I could have handled Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'" running through my head longer than that! (If it gets stuck in your head, you're welcome.)

"Here are the facts: I am alone. I am on a mountain. The plane I
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 exciting stars!

Freefall opens with Allison surviving a plane crash. She is the lone survivor, and she’s in the mountains with a smashed cell phone and few supplies.

The pilot was her fiancé, and she has lost everything. And guess what? She actually doesn’t want to be found. On top of it all, someone is following her.

Across the country, Maggie, Allison’s mom, has been told that her daughter likely died in the crash…but Maggie refuses to give up hope and sets out on a determined search for her
Tammy
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Paromjit
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a riveting debut thriller about survival and family from Jessica Barry. In the Colorado Rockies, a private plane crashes, and remarkably, a battered and injured Alison lives, although her dead fiance, Ben Gardner, a Pharmaceuticals CEO is not so lucky. In Maine, Alison's mother, the widow Maggie Carpenter receives the news that her estranged daughter, whom she has not been in contact with for two years, is missing, presumed dead. A shocked Maggie's life is rocked, but she begins to harbo ...more
BernLuvsBooks
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, adult-reads
3.5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 for Jessica Barry's debut thriller, Freefall, a fast paced story of one woman's will to survive and her mother's determination to find her.

Allison Carpenter and her mother Maggie are estranged. When Maggie learns that her daughter's airplane has gone down and she is presumed dead, she finds herself unable to accept it. She needs answers. Why was Alison in a private plane? What has her life been like for the last 2 years?

The story chronicles both women's journey. Allison is str
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

You guys! I just finished the most amazing book! Twilight! Just kidding. I just finished Freefall by Jessica Barry, my first favorite of 2019! Congrats, Jessica!

Freefall is my kind of book. Most books take forever to actually start the story but unlike most books, Freefall hits the ground running (Literally 😉)

The book opens with a plane crash with a sole survivor, Allison. The book then switches back and forth between Allison and her mother, Maggie.

As Maggie tries to find her daughter and All
JanB
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads
DNF at pg 214.

Sorry, just can't go any further. It was too inconsistent and lacking believable character development.

Note to author: I assure you that those of us who are older than the millennials are perfectly capable of navigating the internet, social media, and those "new-fangled" smart phones. So don't make one of your MC's technologically stupid and using ancient equipment because of her age. The author probably thought those of us she offended couldn't possibly navigate a computer to lea
Susanne  Strong
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
4.5 Stars* (rounded down)

Must-Read Suspense for Thriller Fans!

Could you survive if your plane crashed in the Colorado Rockies and you were the only survivor? Allison Carpenter is about to find out. She is presumed dead, thus no one is coming to her aid - though much to her chagrin, someone is chasing her. Allison had better use every survival skill she’s ever learned if she has hopes of getting out of this predicament alive!

When Maggie Carpenter hears of the crash she can’t believe it. Her daug
Katie B
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it

This turned out to be a pretty solid thriller. Maggie Carpenter is devastated to hear the news her daughter, Allison, died in a plane crash. Even though they have been estranged for the last two years, Maggie is determined to find out more about Allison's life leading up to the crash. Except wait, Allison didn't actually die, but she doesn't want people to know she survived either. Told from the perspectives of a grieving mother searching for answers and a daughter who seems to be runni
Elyse  Walters
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
News travels fast. There was a plane crash in the Colorado Rockies.

Maggie Carpenter thought about pulling the phone cord from the wall. Avoid phone calls from busy-bodies and newspaper reporters.
.....but she needed answers. She also knew Ali would need her clear-eyed.
Maggie and the rest of the world was sure Alison was dead. Maggie had ‘plane-crash-death-visuals’....yet there was still a part of her that was hopeful that her only child was alive. “SHE HAS TO BE”!.......[and she was......Aliso
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 / 5

WOW you guys! Freefall by Jessica Barry is a fast-paced survival story that I absolutely could not put down!

What it's about: Allison Carpenter is on her fiancé's private plane when it goes down over the Colorado Rockies. The pilot doesn't make it, but amazingly enough Allison survives. But Allison knows a terrible secret, one that some very powerful people will kill to keep under wraps. So she must run, and not let anyone know she is alive. Meanwhile, Allison's mom Maggie is told th
Lisa
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
4 enthralling stars
Allison is alone on a mountain after a plane crashher body covered in cuts, bruises7 her left leg has a wound that will be infected soon i need to clean it finger is strained or bruisedits quickly swelling& have little water or food, the only shelter is a twistedbulk of metalthat could explode at any minute, she is sick with fear, she wants to feel the grass on her skin & gently fall asleep. She wonders what its like to die, will there be a light to follow or just dark!!

I am
Jonetta
Allison Carpenter comes to consciousness, realizing she’s just survived a crash in her fiancé’s private plane somewhere in the Colorado Rockies. Her next moves are curious as she hustles to leave the plane site...and run before the crash is located. Game on as meanwhile, in her hometown of Owl’s Place, Maine, Allison’s mother Maggie is dealing with the news of the crash. Though no body is found, her daughter is presumed dead along with her wealthy fiancé Ben Gardner whose body was identified. Ma ...more
NZLisaM
4.5 Exciting, and Lots of Fun Stars!

For two years Maggie has had no contact with her only child. Allison has refused to speak to her since Maggie did something unforgiveable in her eyes. Now, Allison is presumed dead, one of two victims of a plane crash, and Maggie is seeking answers to increasingly dangerous questions, all the while hoping her daughter is still alive.

Allison has survived the crash, but the threat is far from over. Hurt and alone, she’s on the run in the treacherous terrain of t
Ken
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gripping survival tale that is held together by an intriguing mystery.

Allison Carpenter has survived a plane crash in the mountains, the news agencies are all reporting that she had died - she is completely isolated.
The only person that believes Allison is still alive is mother Maggie, the pair haven't seen each other for other two years - but the parental bond could prove so strong.

The narrative jumps between those two POVs and it really helped moved the story along, slowly the layers are pea
Marialyce
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This is really a story of survival. A plane crash, the pilot is dead, and the only passenger aboard is alive, but in a wilderness so uninviting that her life seems threatened once again. Allison Carpenter is in deep guano. Not only is she left to the elements, but she also is carrying a heavy secret, one that will threatened her in all the ways a deadly secret can. The pilot, Allison's fiance is dead, and she is alone, alone with the secret, alone with her life, alone on a trail that will probab ...more
Amy
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-arcs
4.5/5

This is my first review of the new year and what a read it was, this one begs to be read in one breathless sitting, a total binge read. From the brief, incredibly fast paced chapters to the switch between points of view it’s a truly entertaining read with a fresh premise, what more could you want?!

This flips between Allison for one chapter and then her mother Maggie the next, Allison’s story begins from the minute her plane crashes and Maggie’s from the moment she finds out about the accide
Mandy White
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow.. Jessica Barry...what a book!! I could not get enough of this story and desperately needed to find out what happened. I was pulling for both the main characters to get the ending that they deserved. I will certainly be looking out for more from this writer. This book is like a roller coaster and I read it so quickly. Can't recommend this book enough.. if you like thrillers then you need to read this book!!!

Allison is involved in the crash of a private plane and assumed to be dead. She does
Kat
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
This starts off with a bang! Ally has just survived a plane crash in the remote Colorado Rockies, and has to scramble to gather up what she can from the wreckage. But where you’re assuming she’ll be hoping for the search plane to find her, you quickly discover that in fact, she’s trying to get as far away from the crash site as possible before they come.

The dual perspective, her mother, gets a knock at the door, and is told her daughter’s plane has gone down. This quickly becomes a back and for
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Allison by her own choice had no contact with her mother for two years, and then her mother found out that Allison had been killed in a plane crash.

Maggie had not talked to her daughter since her husband had passed away, knew nothing about her life, and was at a loss to answer questions about her daughter.

Maggie did what every mother would have done to keep in touch, but to no avail, and I admired her for searching out details about her daughter’s life under the circumstances.

Maggie could find
Jess | thegreeneyedreader
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars! Great book. Highly recommend. Review to come. Thanks Harper Books for my free advance review copy.
Julie (JuJu)
My Thoughts:
One hell of a debut! A well-written, gripping and positively unputdownable thriller! I can’t wait to see what Jessica comes out with next!

This book looked so good, I had to start reading it as soon as I was approved! First...the cover caught my eye. Although it’s nothing spectacular, there is something catchy about it. Then...I read the description. A plane crash in the Colorado Rockies. I’ve lived in Colorado most of my life, so this was the clincher!

The chapters alternate between
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
It's quite possible that I sometimes rate debut novels a bit higher than I would other books. Maybe it's because I always feel that the first book may be a little bumpy and therefore it's a learning process. So when I come across a debut that just bites at me like the bugs did to Allison in the woods... well, I just can't help myself. Ok ok, I realize that might not have been the best analogy but I hope you get where I'm coming from.

Told in alternating views between Allison and her mother, Maggi
Chris
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m generously giving this one five stars because it hit all the marks for me. I liked the way it was written - we get teasers of previous life stories or incidents that will eventually lead to the why, how, who, what, where in the end.

I enjoyed following Ally from page one, starting with the horrific air crash, leaving her as only survivor with a secret to hide to fighting the mountains and elements. She uses what tools she has to survive (physical and mental) and what her mom and dad taught h
Barbara
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found “Freefall” to be a powerful thriller that kept me up reading late into the night. What I also enjoyed is that it is a female driven read, with both protagonists determined and strong.

The story begins with Allison pulling herself out of a plane wreck in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. She is frantically going through the wreckage to escape with her mantra “youhavetogo”.

Next Maggie, Allison’s mom is making homemade bread when the local Chief of Police, who is a family friend, comes to her do
Mark
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it

This book is intriguing as Maggies daughter, who she has been estranged from for 2 years, has died in a plane crash with her husband....however you find out almost immediately that she hasn’t and is battling to survive in the forest and mountains whilst being chased by ‘baddies’
Why is she being chased? And why was she on the plane? Well these questions get answered as the book progresses and it turns out all is not as it seems in Allison’s life.
Meanwhile Maggie is half mourning her daughters dea
Steve
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, although I ended up listening to the audiobook after it was released.

Not a lot to say about this one: predictable plot and bland, unlikable, and unstable characters. Not one character was who they seemed; everyone had a mask or "hidden" past.

It was a struggle to finish, and barely got the two stars I gave.
Sherri Thacker
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! How can this be a debut novel for this author?? This book had me on the edge of my seat from the very first page wanting to know more!! So many lies, deception, twists and turns throughout. I loved it! 5 stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️Looking forward more by Jessica Barry!!
KC
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
When a private plane crashes in the Colorado Rockies, the two passengers on board are feared dead. Allison Carpenter miraculously lives but the pilot is mortally wounded. Willing herself to survive, Allison sets out in search of help. Her mother believes she is alive since her body is still missing but soon discovers that there is more to Allison's story than what's on the surface. This debut novel is a true thrill ride.
Play Book Tag: (Poll Ballot) Freefall by Jessica Barry - 4 stars 1 11 Apr 08, 2020 01:50PM

• The Better Sister
  • The Suspect (Kate Waters, #3)
  • The Woman Inside
  • Dear Wife
  • Looker
  • The Turn of the Key
  • The Mother-in-Law
Jessica Barry is a pseudonym for an American author who grew up in a small town in Massachusetts and was raised on a steady diet of library books and PBS.

She attended Boston University, where she majored in English and Art History, before moving to London in 2004 to pursue an MA from University College London.

She lives with her husband, Simon, and their two cats, Roger Livesey and BoJack Horseman.

Articles featuring this book

A new year means new thrills and chills for mystery and thriller lovers. And in 2019 there are plenty of exciting new releases to keep y...
“I will never, ever try to take up less space ever again. I will stretch these limbs of mine out wide and I will not budge, not an inch, not ever again.” 2 likes
“Being the mother of a grown child seemed to be a twinned experience, simultaneously loving the person she had become with all your soul while mourning everything she had not.” 2 likes