Start by marking “Black Enough: Stories of Being Young & Black in America” as Want to Read:
Black Enough: Stories of Being Young & Black in America

Black Enough: Stories of Being Young & Black in America

Edited by National Book Award finalist Ibi Zoboi, and featuring some of the most acclaimed bestselling Black authors writing for teens today—Black Enough is an essential collection of captivating stories about what it’s like to be young and Black in America.

Black is...sisters navigating their relationship at summer camp in Portland, Oregon, as written by Renée Watson.

Black
Published January 8th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Black Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Enough

Jay Coles
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'M IN THIS! AHHHHHHH! READ THIS ANTHOLOGY WHEN IT COMES OUT IN JANUARY!
Black Enough: Stories of Being Young & Black in America is a young adult short-story anthology edited by Ibi Zoboi. In the introduction, Zoboi expresses her vision for this collection. She writes,
“What are the cultural threads that connect Black people all over the world to Africa? How have we tried to maintain certain traditions as part of our identity? And as teenagers, do we even care? These are the questions I had in mind when inviting sixteen other Black authors to write about teens
Acqua
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Black Enough is an anthology of short stories written by Black authors about young Black characters living in the Unites States. It follows characters from many different backgrounds – there are stories about rich Black people, Black immigrants, biracial Black people, queer Black people – with very different living experiences, because as Ibi Zoboi says right from the introduction, there isn’t just one way to be Black.

First, I want to say that this review is from a perspective who is neither Bla
Lou
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Black Enough, a compendium of seventeen short stories from a plethora of critically-acclaimed authors, is a bit of a mixed bag for me, and as a reader who appreciates and longs for more diversity throughout the book world, I was more than a little excited to dive right into this collection of which the objective was to illustrate the life experiences of many black youngsters. Not only that, but each story is written by some of the most-read black American authors of the last few years.

As usual
Kelly
So, so many standout authors in this collection of stories of black teens by black authors. Some of the highlights in this collection for me were Renee Watson's "Half a Moon," Kekla Magoon's "Out of the Silence," "Oreo" by Brandy Colbert, "The Ingredients" by Jason Reynolds, "The (Re)volution of Nigeria Jones" by Ibi Zoboi (hello, black girl in a religious cult seeking an escape!), "Into the Starlight" by Nic Stone, and "Whoa!" by Rita Garcia-Williams. I guess that's half the anthology!

The piec
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you HarperCollins for blessing me with an ARC of this lovely book!
Latanya (CraftyScribbles)
I read Young Adult (YA). Yes, I know. I'm someone's parent and should have left the subgenre behind. But, you know what? I enjoy stories - period - and many of them come from YA.

However, there's an issue plaguing YA's publishing - the lack of young adult and teen voices within non-stereotypical stories. Readers often see stories featuring Cis-gendered (those born where their bodies match their gender), straight, white males and females. Sadly, this behavior leads to cliched stories recycled and
Jazmen
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
I've been black the entirety of my life. I knew I was inherently different just by walking down the streets and doing quick visual comparisons of my skin next to someone's much lighter skin. Or the fact that my hair needed to be straightened to cooperate in the way I needed it to--while everyone else seemed to possess the hair I had to fight for. Or, how I couldn't walk into a store without "covertly" being asked if I needed help--or blatantly followed by security guards that were darker than me ...more
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
Normally I would give my thoughts on each story for an anthology.  But I didn't take good notes this time, so I figured I would just mention some of the standouts for me.  Overall, I thought this was a great book and I liked every single story.

Half a Moon by Renee Watson  This story just made me realize how much I enjoy Renee Watson's writing.  This is only the second thing I've read from her, but it was a great start to this anthology.  This story is about a teenage girl who was a camp counselo
rachel
Jan 15, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rep-poc, own-ebook
Half a Moon by Renée Watson // ★★☆☆☆

“Most times we only see part of a thing, but there’s always more to see, more to know.”

🌻 Trigger warnings for abandonment, fatmisia, and body shaming.

Black Enough by Varian Johnson // ☆☆☆☆☆
Oreo by Brandy Colbert // ☆☆☆☆☆
Samson and the Delilahs by Tochi Onyebuchi //
Kelly Hager
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like with any anthology, there are stories that I liked better than others. Unlike most, however, there's nothing that wasn't really great. I've read most of the authors before, but this makes me want to check all of the others out, as well.

I especially want to read Pride, because Ibi Zoboi's story was probably my favorite. I did wish all of these were longer---I would've taken a novel about all of these people.

This is one of the best anthologies I've ever read. If you've been meaning to read mo
Andrew
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, lgbtq
A phenomenal collection of stories from both established authors, as well as up and coming ones. Each story is an individual, a personal look at various upbringings as Black Americans, portraying a variety of issues; how it is to be biracial, to be LGBT, to be a young black woman or a young black man... Some families proud of their culture, some battling internalized racism. Whether you relate to it, or whether it opens up your eyes, it is a beautiful anthology everybody needs to be reading.
Breeny
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Black Enough was like taking a sip of refreshing lemonade. This anthology was so original, in the fact that it was centered around multiple facets of being a Black teen and each story was written by Black authors. So conceptually, I loved it.

Half a moon by Renée Watson: 4/5

I really liked the idea of having a wilderness camp for Black girls and I liked the sister dynamic between Raven and her younger half-sister, Brooke. Super original, albeit the ending was a bit rushed.

Black Enough by V
Nikki S
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING. I liked some more than others, but that's how it always is with anthologies. Real review to come.

**EDIT 01/07/19**

You can find more of my reviews here at my blog: Take Me Away...

When I heard about this new anthology coming out, I was so excited. There's not many anthologies out there, and one that depicts stories of a younger me?! Yeah, before this one it was non-existent.
This anthology is full of so many types of stories, from black nerds to black boy joy, its all in here. And its th
Annie
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so happy to have had the chance to read this amazing anthology! With 17 different Black YA writers, this book portrays a multitude of perspectives and voices. From summer camp stories to forbidden romance to struggling with a sibling’s death, Black Enough has something for everyone.

Below are some thoughts on my favorite stories in the collection, but you can read my full review here.

Black Enough | Varian Johnson | I loved this one! It was a nice mix of funny and serious. It’s about a boy na
Tionna Kinglocke-Christian
4/5 stars

When I heard about Black Enough I was beyond excited and thrilled to read a book that not only displayed representation and diversity in the black community but a book that is on a mission as Ibi Zoboi stated to “encourage all Black teens to be their free, uninhibited selves without the constraints of being black, to black or not black enough. They will be enough just the way they are.”

Black Enough edited by Ibi Zoboi was amazing and refreshing book consisting of short stories written
LaRonda (Flying Paperbacks)
01/03-- I MANAGED TO FINISH THIS BEFORE MIDNIGHT. YESSSSSSS
USOM
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this free book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Black Enough is one of those books you read and know will change someone's life. It's not a far stretch to see the good that this anthology can do. Not only for black teens growing up, stretching into themselves, and seeing their stories. But also for people outside of the community to read about the myriad of different experiences and portrayals. It's a fabulous anthology for rea
Paul
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection is NOW. It is the world we live in from some of the best voices of fiction. Black Enough would be a welcome addition to any upper level high school or college English class. A book that reaches out to audiences with characters and views that are necessary to be heard.

For my full review: https://paulspicks.blog/2018/12/12/bl...

For all my reviews: https://paulspicks.blog
Alicia Ingram
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being 'Black Enough' has always been a problem I've faced so it is refreshing to see a collection of stories reflect that struggle/thought process in different and engaging ways. Some stories missed the mark and some left me thinking - would recommend!
Elise (TheBookishActress)
this looks like an amazing anthology <3
LaRonda (Flying Paperbacks)
*I received an eArc of this book from the Publishers through Edelweiss in exchange of an honest review*

08/02/18-- This title speaks to me
Bonnie
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Maria
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, young-adult
Thanks to HarperCollins Canada for providing me with a free advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I've been working on this book for awhile. Not because I didn't enjoy it, but because it's short stories and I always struggle to get into short stories when there's nothing to pull you back into the book between stories. It was pretty slow going on the first half of the book, but the stories kept getting progressively better (in my humble opinion) and I read through the second
Sam
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Huge thank you to Harper Collins Canada for this ARC!

Anthologies are always hard to review. As a reader some author's styles or stories will gel better with you than others, and that is totally the case with Black Enough. This is a wonderful collection by a group of talented black authors, each of them with unique perspectives to share on what it means to be "black enough."

I have to say some of my favourite stories were "Oreo" by Brandy Colbert (I felt for the heroine in this one, oreo seems lik
Tedi
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Introduction, Ibi Zoboi writes “my hope is that Black Enough will encourage all black teens to be their free, uninhibited selves without the constraints of being black, too black, or not black enough.” This is a powerful anthology with a wide variety of characters and stories and situations that explores the complexities of being black. It firmly shows that there is no one way to be. Every black child can find themselves reflected somewhere in these pages (for that matter, every child).

Ha
Devon H
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Black Enough is a wonderful collection of young adult short stories centered around being young and black in America. The authors put forward works they hope will speak to teens and encourage them to be themselves in the face of a world that does not respect or even always acknowledge them. Many of these stories are intersectional, as authors show that often people are judged for where their identities intersect because other people can't immediately categorize them or fit them into a box that t ...more
Casey Jo
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an AMAZING line up of authors and a powerpunch of a range of stories. Like any anthology, some stories caught me more than others, but there are so many highlights:

Renee Watson - What a powerful analogy in "Half A Moon" - it's all there, but there are parts we can't see.
Varian Johnson - Making heavy moments real with context. So damn good.
Kekla Magoon - (view spoiler)
Brandy
Angeline
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.26/5 (average rating based on my rating on each story)

This collection of short story is so important in my opinion and I think it's one that everyone should take the time to read, I promise that you will relate to one young person in this story; I know that I saw myself in a lot of these characters.
I enjoyed every single one, the least rated story was 3.5/5 which isn't that bad and it just introduced me to a lot of authors that I'm excited to read this year. There were some short sto
Carli
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Edelweiss and @balzerandbray for the advance Kindle copy of this 1.8.19 release. All opinions are my own.

⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 for this anthology, which explores what it means to be Black in America. It features short stories from amazing contemporary authors. Each story shines in its own way, and this is something I would highly recommend high school students read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ibi Zoboi holds an MFA in Writing for Children & Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts. Her award-winning writing has been published in Haiti Noir, the Caribbean Writer, The New York Times Book Review, the Horn Book Magazine, and The Rumpus, among others. Her debut YA novel AMERICAN STREET, a National Book Award Finalist and New York Times Notable Book of 2017, is published by Balzer+ ...more