Start by marking “Newsletter Ninja: How to Become an Author Mailing List Expert” as Want to Read:
Newsletter Ninja: How to Become an Author Mailing List Expert

Newsletter Ninja: How to Become an Author Mailing List Expert

Are you struggling with email? Newsletter numbers getting you down? Fewer people opening your messages? No real reaction when you launch a book? There's another way
Kindle Edition
Published August 12th 2018 by larks & katydids | Indie Pub Intensive

To ask other readers questions about Newsletter Ninja, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Newsletter Ninja

Mark Dawson
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Pithy, funny, actionable. Really excellent guide to a valuable and important topic that is often taken for granted. Highly recommended.
Suzannah
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
So great. I look forward to making my newsletter even more awesome now.
J.A. Ironside
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was really good. If you've been fumbling your way through newsletters, avoiding the analytics and stats, and basically irregularly firing off an email here and there in the hopes that one of them hits it's target, this is the book for you. Straight forward, detailed, logical and very accessible. Highly recommend.
Susan Catalano
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-challenge
Ninja training at its finest. Now to put what I've learned into action.
Zoe Ashwood
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a super comprehensive guide to newsletters for authors - and now I have a ton of work to do! I'm glad I found it before my debut launches in 3 months!
Marina Finlayson
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for every author! A great breakdown of best practices for newsletters: why you need one and how you should use it for maximum benefit.
Lola
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked up Newsletter Ninja as another author who wrote a non-fiction I had read recommended it. I like newsletters (and sign-up for way too many of them) and with a title as Newsletter Ninja and that cover I knew I had to read this. And I am glad I picked it up as I not only enjoyed reading it, but it also was a very informative book.

I really like the newsletter style that Tammi Labrecque recommends in this book and also notice some of the author newsletter I like do some of the things she exp
Miranda Kate
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
I am a complete novice in regards to author mailing lists and was keen to read this to enlighten myself and begin to understand how to go about creating an engaged list of subscribers.

It was clear to me that Tammi Labrecque is indeed a professional as she used terminology I was not familiar with and I struggled to follow along in some places. By the time I reached the middle I had a list of questions, but reading further resolved the majority of them - and a few more I had to go away and work o
Marc
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The reason I bought this book was I wasn't sure if I wanted to shell out the $300 for Tammi's course. Paying $5 is far more reasonable.

I've had books out since 2011 and I've never done a newsletter. I always thought about it, but didn't know where to stop. People used terms I didn't understand and I didn't know what to put in my newsletter. Recently, I've also been unsubscribing to a lot of newsletters. That probably attributed to me not wanting to do one.

When I started reading Newsletter Ninja,
Michael Hicks
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought, nonfiction
Newsletter Ninja was a quick read and Tammi made a fairly boring (to me) subject entertaining enough. I did pick up a few useful tips over the course of this book and made more than few changes to my newsletter while I was reading along. I've no idea if I'd consider myself a mailing list expert at this point, but I think I have a better idea of what I need to do with my newsletter moving forward.
Elodie
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I came upon this book via Mark Dawson's SPF Class, and I read it in one go. It was a real mind-opener and not only helps with optimizing your newsletter communication, but also how to engage with your reader in general. I'm sure I can implement a lot of the ideas in my social media posts and on my website. I definitely recommend this book if you're struggling with email marketing just like I do!
Meg D. Gonzalez
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I built (or attempted to build) a list for my YA series several years back. The few people I managed to entice to join were unengaged and had no interest in even opening my emails, let alone clicking. I spent hundreds of dollars and hundreds of hours and got nothing in return

I’m gearing up to start a new list, so I wanted to figure out what I’d done wrong and more importantly how I can do it right this time.

Tammi’s guide was easy to read and jam packed with the information I needed. She lays out
R.J. Batla
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great resource

If you need help getting started with your email list or want to fine tune one you have this is the book for you!
Tanya Gold
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes the prospect of doing a newsletter so much less daunting.
Ann Omasta
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is filled to the brim with helpful ideas, solid reminders, and smart tips. The author's unique voice and funny comments keep it from being a dry information dump. Newsletter best practices aren't normally high on my list of fun reading, but I actually enjoyed this book and zoomed right through it. I'll keep it around to refer to later, but for now I'm off to tweak my automation sequences... So sexy.
Leopold Borstinski
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full to the brim with great ideas

This book contains lots of truly useful and actionable ideas to improve my newsletter. I’d certainly recommend it to anyone writer who wants to increase engagement and the stickiness of their lists.
Marty Twelves
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book for any author who wants to become more successful in connecting with their fans and selling more books.
Mark
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an extremely useful book, written in a very approachable and personable manner. I would highly recommend that anybody who wants to up their game with author newsletters needs to get their hands on a copy of this book and read every single word of it. Thanks, Tammi!
D. Wink
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good and straightforward read when it comes to newsletter marketing for authors. Included some great ideas.
The only thing I thought was missing was the actual practical steps for achieving all those things we need to get right as authors with the newsletter. So there was no actual "formula" of how to write great newsletters, only a strategy of what you need to achieve and why. Basically, the "how" was missing a little.
Still, a great introduction if you want to take newsletter marketing
Tam May
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with some great tips on how to build your newsletter and what to do with it once you've got it. Short, to the point, and filled with lots of humor. Even though I've had a newsletter for a few years, I learned about some stuff I was doing that wasn't the best use of the newsletter (and the author explains why they aren't recommended very clearly). Definitely worth reading if you're an author either starting to build your newsletter, wanting to build one, or even if you already have ...more
Kristy McCaffrey
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great book to gain perspective and strategies on running an author mailing list. I picked up several useful tips. A wonderful resource I suspect I'll refer to again and again. Thanks, Tammi!
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, own, writing
Essential reading for those with or wanting an email list.
Heather Myers
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great information

This is an excellent book - a must-have for any indie writer. I wish there was example letters that we could see but I also know she explains everything very well. Great job!
Kate Tilton
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommend reading for all authors!
Julie  Capell
I picked this book for our marketing book club because I have a need to create newsletters for several businesses and I realize that this whole game is very, very different from the old days. I know this because most of the newsletters I subscribe to online share a certain aesthetic, they are more like emails than what I would call an email, but they are engaging.

So I wanted to learn about the newest trends in newsletters and email lists, and I did get some great info out of this book. More tha
Chris Johnson
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Someone recommended this book to me last month. I wish I could remember who because I owe them big time.

You see, this book is the Duck’s Nuts of guerilla marketing. It details how to write newsletters that your readers love. Yes, it’s targeted at authors because authors think about writing books. Few of them think about writing to sell. More importantly, they fail to learn how to sell themselves!

Tammi teaches authors how to do this through newsletters. I’ve enjoyed selling and marketing since I
Karin
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-craft
For years I've been hearing/learning about the importance of newsletters. I've taken some classes and read some books about the topic, but none of them focus specifically on best practices for fiction writers. This is the first book I've read that actually includes practical tips for novelists, as well as a link to even more tips on the author's website.

Just because it's a short book and an easy read, however, doesn't mean it'll be easy to walk away from -- Labrecque lays everything out for you
D. Thrush
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is no magic formula but this short book is helpful and the information is imparted in a conversational entertaining tone. I was hoping for more suggestions on how to build a list. I think this is the biggest obstacle especially for newbie writers. The best idea seems to be enticing readers by giving them something free such as a short story or novella. But then you have to keep them on your list. I found this part most helpful and it gave me lots of ideas. I still feel confused by the whol ...more
Jane
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm probably going to read this again, it's that useful. Labrecque outlines strategies for using your reader newsletter the right way--not for selling but for building an engaged reader community.

This is a book full of actionable information with just a soft sell for Labrecque's course and coaching services at the end. The nice thing about it is that it will result in lots of unique newsletters rather than formulaic ones, thus giving the readers what THEY want, our quirky and unique minds.

She wa
S.C. Barrus
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-marketing
Newsletter Ninja is an amazingly useful book. Tammi Labrecque does an excellent job of laying out just about everything you need to do to turn your failing newsletter around. After practicing many of the strategies laid out in this book, my engagement saw a huge increase. It's still early days, and my newsletter is still small, but if the results continue this way then I suspect great things will happen. If you're an author or other artist striving for an engaged community, definitely add Newsle ...more

• Strangers To Superfans: A Marketing Guide to the Reader Journey
  • Crank It Out!: The Surefire Way to Become a Super-Productive Writer (The Writer's Toolbox #7)
  • Mastering Amazon Ads: An Author's Guide
  • Plot Gardening: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • How to Write a Sizzling Synopsis: A Step-by-Step System for Enticing New Readers, Selling More Fiction, and Making Your Books Sound Good
  • Write Better, Faster: How To Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day
  • The Writer's Guide to Training Your Dragon: Using Speech Recognition Software to Dictate Your Book and Supercharge Your Writing Workflow (Dictation Mastery for PC and Mac)
  • Writing into the Dark: How to Write a Novel without an Outline
  • Reader Magnets: Build Your Author Platform and Sell more Books on Kindle (Book Marketing for Authors 1)
  • Mugging the Muse
  • Business for Authors: How to Be an Author Entrepreneur
  • Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • How to Write Pulp Fiction
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • My Story Can Beat Up Your Story: Ten Ways to Toughen Up Your Screenplay from Opening Hook to Knockout Punch
  • Book Marketing is Dead: Book Promotion Secrets You MUST Know BEFORE You Publish Your Book
  • Blueprint Your Bestseller: Organize and Revise Any Manuscript with the Book Architecture Method
  • How to Write Funny: Your Serious, Step-By-Step Blueprint For Creating Incredibly, Irresistibly, Successfully Hilarious Writing