Start by marking “Newsletter Ninja: How to Become an Author Mailing List Expert” as Want to Read:
Newsletter Ninja: How to Become an Author Mailing List Expert

Newsletter Ninja: How to Become an Author Mailing List Expert

Are you struggling with email? Newsletter numbers getting you down? Fewer people opening your messages? No real reaction when you launch a book?

There's another way—a better way.

Imagine having a large list of happy readers who devoured every email you sent. Or launching a book and activating an army of fans who did the selling for you. You could be that person, with the
Published August 12th 2018 by larks & katydids | Newsletter Ninja

To ask other readers questions about Newsletter Ninja, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Newsletter Ninja

Start your review of Newsletter Ninja: How to Become an Author Mailing List Expert
John Martin
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
MINING FOR NUGGETS

This is a specialised book and of no use to people without mailing lists.
I happen to have one though, and any tips are welcome.
A lot of the book reaffirms what I already know.
But there were a few nuggets along the way.
I think it's the kind of book I need to re-read in case I didn't quite grasp something.
Mark Dawson
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Pithy, funny, actionable. Really excellent guide to a valuable and important topic that is often taken for granted. Highly recommended.
Suzannah
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
So great. I look forward to making my newsletter even more awesome now.
J.A. Ironside
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was really good. If you've been fumbling your way through newsletters, avoiding the analytics and stats, and basically irregularly firing off an email here and there in the hopes that one of them hits it's target, this is the book for you. Straight forward, detailed, logical and very accessible. Highly recommend.
Marc
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The reason I bought this book was I wasn't sure if I wanted to shell out the $300 for Tammi's course. Paying $5 is far more reasonable.

I've had books out since 2011 and I've never done a newsletter. I always thought about it, but didn't know where to stop. People used terms I didn't understand and I didn't know what to put in my newsletter. Recently, I've also been unsubscribing to a lot of newsletters. That probably attributed to me not wanting to do one.

When I started reading Newsletter Ninja,
Frances Caballo
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every Author Needs To Read This Book

When new authors write their first book, they rush to social media. What they should be doing is rushing to establish an email marketing program. But before doing so, they need to read this book. It is the bible for email marketing for writers. BTW Authors also need social !media but they should never neglect the importance of email marketing. This book is lively, engaging, full of great tips, and includes resources. It covers everything.
Susan Catalano
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-challenge
Ninja training at its finest. Now to put what I've learned into action.
Zoe Ashwood
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a super comprehensive guide to newsletters for authors - and now I have a ton of work to do! I'm glad I found it before my debut launches in 3 months!
Marina Finlayson
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for every author! A great breakdown of best practices for newsletters: why you need one and how you should use it for maximum benefit.
Jessaca Willis
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great overview of newsletter etiquette

This book didn’t dive as deep as I was hoping, just for what I need right now, but I really wish I had read it a year ago when I started my newsletter. Lots of golden advice in this book! Definitely recommended for new authors or long-time authors who are just now starting their newsletters.
Eldon Farrell
Tremendously informative. A must read for every author interested in marketing. And honestly aren't we all :)
Carrie Daws
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing
I'm not new to this topic, so I didn't glean a lot of fresh information. However, this book is very good at conveying what an author's overall philosophy should be on newsletters and how that feeds into mailing lists biggest benefit. There's not a lot of practical step-by-step here because that changes so quickly, however, any author wondering if a newsletter is worth the time and effort or struggling to get traction with a newsletter should consider the principles laid out in this book.
Deborah Rogers
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best book out on newsletters for authors

Super useful. Involves a bit of a mindshift for authors used to using newsletters as a straight sales too. Highly recommend this book.
Elinor
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple and straightforward, just what a guidebook should be! At times it got a little too complex for my needs, but I understand that other authors might be farther up the newsletter ladder and need a higher level of sophistication. The basics were addressed very well, and I liked Tammi's comical asides! I will recommend this to my author friends.
Lola
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked up Newsletter Ninja as another author who wrote a non-fiction I had read recommended it. I like newsletters (and sign-up for way too many of them) and with a title as Newsletter Ninja and that cover I knew I had to read this. And I am glad I picked it up as I not only enjoyed reading it, but it also was a very informative book.

I really like the newsletter style that Tammi Labrecque recommends in this book and also notice some of the author newsletter I like do some of the things she exp
Miranda Kate
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
I am a complete novice in regards to author mailing lists and was keen to read this to enlighten myself and begin to understand how to go about creating an engaged list of subscribers.

It was clear to me that Tammi Labrecque is indeed a professional as she used terminology I was not familiar with and I struggled to follow along in some places. By the time I reached the middle I had a list of questions, but reading further resolved the majority of them - and a few more I had to go away and work o
Jordyn Kross
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writer-resource
There's lots of information out on the web about what to put in a newsletter and how to use them to build a following so that you can sell your books. Newsletter Ninja takes that premise and cracks it in half. This slim, easy to read, guide teaches you what newsletters are really for (hint: Not to act like a car sale ad on TV), teaches you how to get them into the inboxes of the people who really want to hear from you, and how to make sure they still want to hear from you after they start readin ...more
Jed Herne
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
4/5. Hugely helpful book with great strategies and tactics for authors looking to build their email list. For me, here were the biggest takeaways:

1. "Your list is not for selling books. Your list is for selling yourself. Your list is for building superfans—and superfans, by definition, will buy your books."
2. Aim for each email to get reads to open it, click inside it, and respond to a question. This 'holy triad' is key to improving delivery rates and creating a better fan experience.
3. Show yo
Elodie
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I came upon this book via Mark Dawson's SPF Class, and I read it in one go. It was a real mind-opener and not only helps with optimizing your newsletter communication, but also how to engage with your reader in general. I'm sure I can implement a lot of the ideas in my social media posts and on my website. I definitely recommend this book if you're struggling with email marketing just like I do!
Michael Hicks
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought, nonfiction
Newsletter Ninja was a quick read and Tammi made a fairly boring (to me) subject entertaining enough. I did pick up a few useful tips over the course of this book and made more than few changes to my newsletter while I was reading along. I've no idea if I'd consider myself a mailing list expert at this point, but I think I have a better idea of what I need to do with my newsletter moving forward.
Monica T. Rodriguez
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: publishing, marketing
So, so helpful! The author breaks down every step of creating and maintaining newsletters, even the questions you have while reading. All in a very conversational tone that is easy and fast to read. Do yourself a favor and read this book.
Had some good information, but the language sprinkled throughout detracted from my enjoyment.
Meg D. Gonzalez
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I built (or attempted to build) a list for my YA series several years back. The few people I managed to entice to join were unengaged and had no interest in even opening my emails, let alone clicking. I spent hundreds of dollars and hundreds of hours and got nothing in return

I’m gearing up to start a new list, so I wanted to figure out what I’d done wrong and more importantly how I can do it right this time.

Tammi’s guide was easy to read and jam packed with the information I needed. She lays out
R.J. Batla
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great resource

If you need help getting started with your email list or want to fine tune one you have this is the book for you!
Tanya Gold
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes the prospect of doing a newsletter so much less daunting.
Ann Omasta
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is filled to the brim with helpful ideas, solid reminders, and smart tips. The author's unique voice and funny comments keep it from being a dry information dump. Newsletter best practices aren't normally high on my list of fun reading, but I actually enjoyed this book and zoomed right through it. I'll keep it around to refer to later, but for now I'm off to tweak my automation sequences... So sexy.
Marty Twelves
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book for any author who wants to become more successful in connecting with their fans and selling more books.
Leopold Borstinski
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full to the brim with great ideas

This book contains lots of truly useful and actionable ideas to improve my newsletter. I’d certainly recommend it to anyone writer who wants to increase engagement and the stickiness of their lists.
Mark
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an extremely useful book, written in a very approachable and personable manner. I would highly recommend that anybody who wants to up their game with author newsletters needs to get their hands on a copy of this book and read every single word of it. Thanks, Tammi!
D. Wink
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good and straightforward read when it comes to newsletter marketing for authors. Included some great ideas.
The only thing I thought was missing was the actual practical steps for achieving all those things we need to get right as authors with the newsletter. So there was no actual "formula" of how to write great newsletters, only a strategy of what you need to achieve and why. Basically, the "how" was missing a little.
Still, a great introduction if you want to take newsletter marketing
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Strangers To Superfans: A Marketing Guide to the Reader Journey
  • Release Strategies: Plan your self-publishing schedule for maximum benefit (Successful Indie Author Book 2)
  • Six Figure Author: Using Data to Sell Books (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 5)
  • BookBub Ads Expert: A Marketing Guide to Author Discovery
  • Become a Successful Indie Author: Work Toward Your Writing Dream
  • Dear Writer, You Need to Quit
  • Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)
  • How to Write a Sizzling Synopsis: A Step-by-Step System for Enticing New Readers, Selling More Fiction, and Making Your Books Sound Good
  • 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Launch to Market: Easy Marketing For Authors (Write Faster, Write Smarter, #4)
  • Relaunch Your Novel: Breathe Life Into Your Backlist (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 6)
  • Help! My Facebook Ads Suck
  • Amazon Ads for Authors: Tips and Strategies to Sell Your Books
  • Ads for Authors Who Hate Math: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Rapid Release: How to Write & Publish Fast For Profit
  • The Indie Author Mindset: How changing your way of thinking can transform your writing career
  • Mastering Amazon Ads: An Author's Guide
  • Reader Magnets: Build Your Author Platform and Sell more Books on Kindle (Book Marketing for Authors 1)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Remember the triad: open, click, reply. Get them to do at least one of those things every time you send them an email, and by the time they make it to your main list or start getting your regular campaigns, you’ll be several lengths out in front of the authors who don’t have your exceptional email game.” 0 likes
“First, you are not selling what you think you are. Second, if all you’re using your list for is selling, you’re doing everything wrong.” 0 likes