Start by marking “The Secret Orphan” as Want to Read:
The Secret Orphan

The Secret Orphan

Keep her secret

Keep her safe

On the 14th November 1940, Hitler’s bombs rain down on Coventry. From the rubble of a bombed-out family home, a young girl is saved … but at what cost?

This is a stunning and memorable page-turner of love, loss and resilience for fans of Orphan Train and The Secret Wife

As the Nazis’ relentless bombs fall during the Blitz of Coventry, six-ye/>On
Published December 18th 2018 by One More Chapter

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Orphan, please sign up.
Glynis Peters Sorry, I was offline and missed this question. As far as I am aware, the book is not free. My publisher hasn't told me of a free event.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Glynis Peters I'm sorry, I am not sure I understand what you are asking. Is it a publishing download problem?

Shirley Revill
The night of 14th of November 1940 was one the people of Coventry will never forget. 515 German bombers targeted the city a bombers moon their guiding light. The city was devastated with a great loss of life,this however did not daunt the brave people of Coventry. They remained determined that Britain would be forever free.

The story starts with the air raid on Coventry in 1940. Rose was only six years old at the time now she is celebrating her 85th birthday. Rose is sat at the piano
Katie
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
I don't understand all the glowing reviews of this book. Did I read a first draft, or something?

There seemed to be some good plot points there, but the whole story was just put together really strangely. It lurched along from one idea to the next, none of them being fully rendered. I kept scrolling back, thinking I'd missed the resolution or explanation of something that was hinted at, only to realize that no, there really was no more information.

In addition to a developm
Reynolpa
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gripping? Hardly. A very mediocre book. Just when you expected something to happen it was resolved without any conflict whatsoever. I couldn't wait for the book to end and only finished it because I paid good money for it.
Jean St.Amand
May 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Ok, I'm just going to be blunt. This book was stupid. The characters were not the slightest bit believable. Elenor had been treated like crap by her father and brothers her entire life, and yet somehow when she went to live with her Aunt instead of still being the beaten down person she always had been, she became very assertive when dealing with George, who was basically Chuckie the potential wife beater...yet, whenever Elenor, who he neither liked nor respected, bossed him around, he listened ...more
Quirkybookworm
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
I did NOT want the story to end. I was so invested in this story. I was so caught up until the last paragraph. I even exclaimed NO! I want more. I want to know more when they moved.
This is truly one of the best historical novels I've read. I actually felt like I was there. I was rooting for the young heroine. I love how she grew up quickly. I love how she took on the orpan and made her own. I love how she fought for her.
The story starts right before the WWII and into the WWII. The au
LadyCalico
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed about 3/4 of the book. It had interesting characters, and Elenor's story was very engrossing. However, the dialogue bothered me since it did not strike me as authentic for the times and used terms like "being proactive." When the book got to the "secret" part, the story really fell apart and if you gave it any thought, just didn't make sense. It was poorly formulated with many elements underdeveloped and poorly explained. Seriously, what was everyone so panicked about? Who would ...more
booklover BEV
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

November 1940 Coventry England. Rose after her mummy Victoria dies in a bomb blast in stephenson road is only seven year's old. Her adoptive parents elenor and Jackson move to Cornwall then canada. On roses eighty fifth birthday she goes back in time to tell her family the story, that hold a secret elenor has kept for many years.I loved this book full of love family secrets that you won't expect to happen from start to finish
Darlene Schnatz
England during the blitz.

Interesting story. I think the character development could have been done better. I found the writing stilted and some things went totally without explanation.
There was a mention by Jackson that he had received a picture of a plane from Rose asking about the plane he flew. Rose said she did not send that. The matter was dropped there rather than used as a hint that Rose's father had ulterior motives.
Elenor left servants she did not like nor trust in charge
Sandra
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous story that pulls you in and a lovely mix of charactors.Elenor goes to stay with her Aunt Maude and becomes entranced with Rose the daughter of her aunts housekeeper.To say there is a gripping plot is an understatement.I would recommend you read this book it is worthy of the 5* and more i loved it.
Megan
Ok... so I have to commend anyone who can sit down and write a novel. It takes time and effort. That being said, how the actual fuck did this get published as is?

No seriously, how? And how are the reviews so positive? The writing is bad, the pace is choppy, I actually thought a couple times that I had a book that was missing pages and the plot itself is just MEH!

This book was like reading a first draft. It seemed as though no one had bothered to edit or review it prior to
Anne OK
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
The cover art caught my eye immediately. I've had this WWII historical novel on my Kindle for quite some time, and though it takes place a few years before the actual D-Day battle, I decided to read it on the 75th Anniversary of the D-Day Landings and the Battle of Normandy. The plot includes a light romance, a mysterious secret surrounding an eight-year old girl named Rose, and of course, wartime life during the bombing blitz on England. Suspicions surround the Sherbournes, Rose's parents keepi ...more
Tina Woodbury
Elenor Cardew lives on the family farm in Cornwall, England with her twin brothers, Walter and James. Her aunt sends her a one-way ticket and requests that she come live with her in London. Initially she is hesitant, but the thought of getting away from her brothers, who treat her horribly, is quite appealing.

Elenor is a self-proclaimed country bumpkin and is now being thrust into life in the big city. Pair that with moving in with an aunt she hardly knows made for an interesting and
Michelle
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Flat characters, flat writing, and all the exciting parts are totally skimmed over. It seemed like it was leading to a big finale, but just sort of petered out. The ending was stupid. Over half of the book was described in the book description provided by the publisher, leaving little for the reader to actually discover. The editing was terrible.
Lizl
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book as a whole, but was expecting more after reading the blurb and the high rating. I thought it ended quite abruptly (notwithstanding the prologue). More could have been made of the ins and outs of Rose’s parents’ involvement in a spy ring. There are just too many unanswered vagaries to make the book truly memorable.
Karen
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ARC was provided to me for free by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

During the Blitz, when German bombs rained on parts of England, little six-year-old Rose Sherbourne finds herself orphaned. She becomes the ward of Elenor Cardew, who is determined to protect Rose at any cost - especially when Elenor discovers a devastating secret about Rose.

I loved this book. I love WW2 narratives, and this one was absolutely great.

Although the synopsis f
Kimberly Mussell
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is what historical fiction is all about! We see a bit of current day and then it goes back to the 1940's. During, before and after the Blitz.
Such a sweet little child who goes through so much heartbreak. Elenor is a character that I love reading about, strong and willful!
Nothing but praise for Glynis Peters! I am hoping that she either continues this story or gives us more of her imagination and style in another great novel.
Thank you NetGalley and HarperImpulse for this ARC copy in
Susan A. Boe
Long and boring with a terrible ending . I can only believe all

the good reviews were fakes. I kept thinking it would get better but it never improved. Very disappointing. I would not recommend this book
Meg
May 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not good

Inconsistencies, made little sense & not worth your time. I kept thinking the book would get better but it didn't.
Rebecca
*Some spoilers. Mostly some questions.*

The premise of this book makes it sound like an interesting read but I can only give it 3 stars for several reasons - from the writing, to the plot, to the many, many pieces that made no sense. The writing in this book, both in the telling of the story and in the dialogue is so basic it feels as though the novel were written for a much younger audience. I honestly don’t really mind that as long as the story itself is good but if that style of wr
Y.I. Lee
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like historical novels and this was really good. The way the story started was riveting.
Poor little Rose caught in the bombing of Coventry. It was a bit like a story of two halves. It begins with Rose and then we meet Elenor. It was clever how the author pulled it all together.
I really enjoyed the story. It's well written with great characterisation. I loved the way it ended.
Hannah
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
The is one of the worst historical fiction novels I have ever read with the most miserable characters.

I truly could not have cared less about who lived or died.
Tim Robinson
Book died before it ended

Did the author leave the arena? What a dud One chapter is supposed to wrap up the entire story? Yuck
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!! I enjoyed everything about it- the characters, story and writing style. Loved reading about Elenor and I felt like I was right there with her. She was amazing-- running the farm by herself, her love of Rose, and how she treated everyone, especially those who helped her on the farm. Tom, Susie and Dottie were great additions to the farm and loved how they joked about Dottie's donkey laugh. Jackson was the perfect charming pilot. The story was not what I expected and I would neve ...more
Kayla Garcia
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
We start out, as the reader, being introduced to the character Rose, as she is in the midst of Nazis bombing the city of Coventry, England. We then jump back before the war began and follow the storyline of Rose and Eleanor as their lives intertwine and the war creeps into their lives from there. There’s a secret about Rose threatening to become known and Elenor risks everything to ensure it stays hidden.

❝For the first time in her life, at nearly seven years old, Rose understood the
Sujata Neidig
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was trying to decide between 3 or 4 stars and decided to give it a 4 because I really did enjoy the book. I love historical fictions and WWII stories. This one tells the story from a female's perspective from when her father dies and she goes to live with her aunt as a young teenager all the way until she is an adult with her own life. I enjoyed the story line, getting to know the various characters and how easy it was to read. There was a mystery part to the story that was intriguing. However ...more
Sandra McKenna
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read.

This story is told through the eyes of an elderly lady looking back on life in Coventry prior to and during the atrocities of World War II, and also the difficulties of running a farm in Cornwall with so many men away at war.
Overall, this an excellent story; however, some parts are not very credible, and the editing is somewhat lacking, with quite a few loose ends.
It is still a book I would recommend.
Patricia Faloon
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The All in One Novel

This book has romance, suspense, history, but most of all the beauty of the human heart. I enjoyed it immensely. Lovely achievement for Glynis.
Kathleen Gray
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good old fashioned read. Set during WWII, it's the story of Rose and Eleanor. Who really rescued who during the Blitz? Both characters are well drawn and oh so sympathetic. There are some ups and downs and the secret, well, can't spoil it for you. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. I know others would like to see the story continued but I think it's perfect the way it ends here.
Monique
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
The synopsis for THE SECRET ORPHAN had immediately grabbed my attention, and judging by the first chapter, it sounded like a book I would really enjoy. Chapter two – which should have been the epilogue – is dated November 2018; thankfully, from then on, the story follows a linear pattern, going back to 1938. I found the book description somewhat misleading, because the “secret” part really begins only in the last seventy percent of the story. Before that, it’s mostly about Elenor’s life in Coven ...more
Susan
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Long before the United States joined the Allies against Hitler in World War II the British were fighting already. Amidst bombings during the Blitz ofCoventry, a six-year-old girl becomes orphaned. Rose is taken under wing by Elenor, the daughter of a Cornish farmer, and the sweet musically talented child is brought to live at Elenor’s farm. However, when a secret about Rose’s parents is uncovered it puts their safety in jeopardy, and Eleanor turns to her romantic interest Jackson, a Canadian pil ...more

• Risking Exposure
  • The Factory Girls of Lark Lane (Lark Lane, #1)
  • The Orphan Sisters
  • The Little Orphan Girl
  • An Orphan in the Snow
  • A Century of November
  • Jim Morgan and the Door at the Edge of the World
  • Out the Window (A Matthew Scudder Story)
  • The Forever Stone
  • Shipyard Girls in Love (Shipyard Girls #4)
  • The Faith of Ashish (Blessings in India, #1)
  • Portion of the Sea
  • The Songbird Girls (Detective Tom Fabian #2)
  • Last Light (Detective Lucy Harwin #3)
  • Home for Erring and Outcast Girls
  • One Thing: How to Keep Your Faith in a World of Chaos
  • The Knock at the Door: A Journey Through the Darkness of the Armenian Genocide
  • Golden Eggs and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 4)
I write historical novels, and live by the sea in Essex.

Rep'd by Kate Nash Literary Agent.

One More Chapter / HarperCollins

Author of The Secret Orphan / The Orphan Thief /

USA TODAY bestseller
Globe and Mail bestseller
Toronto Star bestseller

Amazon UK and USA #1 bestseller
“A scared Susie looked back at them and burst into tears. ‘Oh my god,’ Ron said. ‘Ron. Go back to work. I’ll look after her. When you’ve finished, come and see us. It will be all right if you do the honourable thing. Understand?’ ‘I mean, I um, I …’ Ron stammered out his words, his neck flushed with embarrassment. ‘Ron. Do as I say. I’ll deal with this. Just as you and Jackson have helped me out,’ Elenor said and hinted she knew his involvement with Fritz. Ron pulled Susie to his side. ‘I’ll come back. I’ll stand by you. I promise.’ Susie gave him a smile and Elenor guided her back to the farm. ‘It will be fine, Susie. I’m here for you, and Ron is a good man. He’ll be true to his word. We’ll speak with your parents together. Don’t be afraid.’ ‘I wanted to keep it a secret, but I can’t do it alone,’ Susie whispered. ‘Secrets make heavy burdens, Susie. We’ll let this one out. You can stay living here if you want.’ Elenor’s head was spinning with the events of the past three weeks. A wedding and a baby might be just the distraction she needed. One thing she was sure of, life was never boring at Tre Lodhen. Chapter 48 ‘A double wedding?’ What a wonderful idea,’ Elenor said. Dottie and Susie stood holding hands in front of her and both looked radiant. Tom and Ron stood to one side discussing an unexploded bomb on one of the beaches. Telling Susie’s parents about the baby wasn’t as hard as Ron and Susie had first thought, and after a few tears and a ticking off for Ron, another engagement was announced. Although she was excited by the happy news from both couples, Elenor still felt vulnerable. A paranoia had set in and no matter which way she turned she couldn’t shake it off, and every day she wondered if it was the end for her and Rose. Susie behaved oddly around her since she and Ron announced their marriage, and she wondered if Ron had found out something about Fritz and told her. Subtle questions posed to Rose gave no clue that anything had changed for her. According to Rose school was a happy place, and all children treated her well – except for Freddie. Freddie poked his tongue out at her for being a girl, but he did it to all the girls. Elenor went to the calendar and realised it was 20th October, her mother’s birthday. She wrote ‘Dottie and Susie wedding’ in the box marked the 30th. She stood a moment and watched rain drizzle down the windowpane. The bad weather had set in for the day. She saw the cows trudge their way into the barn followed” 0 likes
“P.O. Box 1 Auckland,” 0 likes