Start by marking “Inner City Pressure: The Story of Grime” as Want to Read:

Inner City Pressure: The Story of Grime

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
‘The definitive grime biography’ NME

’A landmark genre history’ Pitchfork

DIZZEE RASCAL. WILEY. KANO. STORMZY. SKEPTA. JME. SHYSTIE. WRETCH 32. GHETTS. LETHAL BIZZLE. TINCHY STRYDER. DURRTY GOODZ. DEVLIN. D DOUBLE E. CRAZY TITCH. ROLL DEEP. PAY AS U GO. NASTY CREW. RUFF SQWAD. BOY BETTER KNOW.

The year 2000. As Britain celebrates the new millennium, something is stirring in t
Published May 17th 2018 by William Collins

To ask other readers questions about Inner City Pressure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inner City Pressure

Emma
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This detailed exploration of the rise of Grime, from bedroom/back room battles and illegal radio to an essential part mainstream music and culture, features those from the early days who laboured in the dark to get their music heard, all the way up to the big names of today, who are played around the world in ways that early dreamers could never have imagined.

While it may be a love affair on the part of the author, Dan Hancox, and this shines through the writing from the first page to the last,
Neil
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

Although I found this to be a interesting insight into the history and rise of Grime, I found it to be very heavy going in places.
Hence only the 3 stars.
Clare
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love music, I love most kinds of music and I love nearly all music books. My knowledge of grime is lacking though. I own the first Dizzee Rascal album but beyond that only know a few songs. Dizzee’s lyrics tell a lot of his story but when I started this book I realised how little I actually knew. Dan Hancox goes right back to the start and the origins of grime which began with pirate radio. An enterprising team of music enthusiasts would scale the rooftops of London looking for likely spots to ...more
Ben Cullimore
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s been quite the journey for grime music, which, in the space of around seventeen years, has evolved from a bedroom pursuit to an essential part of British mainstream music and culture. It makes for an engrossing tale, and Dan Hancox has done an excellent job of telling it in Inner City Pressure: The Story of Grime.

As someone who has been an avid fan of grime since its inception, Hancox is well-positioned to comment on its fascinating backstory, and it’s clear to see that he has gained the tr
Marius
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was 2003, I was 14, when I first heard Grime music, by way of of Dizzee Rascal's "Boy In Da Corner". As a Hip Hop obsessed immigrant teenager living in the rainy Amsterdam metropolitan area, I was immediately drawn to Grime's sounds and narratives. Although it sounded so new, it felt familiar. I have had a fondness for the genre ever since.

I went into "Inner City Pressure: The Story of Grime" expecting it to be Grime's version of Jeff Chang's rigorous "Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the
James
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great piece of journalism period

Just like how grime suffered unfair genre distinctions, this book belongs in neither music nor sociological categories. Hancox delivers a stunning chronicling of a music scene born out of adversity, that refused to be shutdown by all the pressures of late capitalism and aggressive neoliberal myths. Out of that struggle grime was forged as a distinct musical ethos, whose collective strength proves it much more than beats and bars. Powerful writing.
Yolande Branch
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An inspiring look into the deep underground world of the Grime genre. From the early MC's in the high rise block to the sell-out concerts, this book had me nodding, smiling and understanding the music scene which I grew up on in all of it's glory! I even recommended it to m older brother who was also part of the early Grime scene!
Josh
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book, heavily political. At times it seems to namecheck more politicians and policies than MC's and songs.
Tells the story of London just as much as it does the story of Grime.

I'd say this is essential reading for anyone wanting to understand more about London.
Sibel Hodge
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A succintly told story of the underdogs who dared to follow their heart and soul. Against a backdrop of urban inner city downpression, they brought grime to the forefront of British music.
Fluffyroundabout