Start by marking “Hood (American Rebirth #1)” as Want to Read:
Hood (American Rebirth #1)

Hood

(American Rebirth #1)

Hood's life is gone. No more student loans, house parties, video games. The world is now a place of pure survival. Lucky for him, he's pretty damn good with a gun in his hand. Learning to live with pulling the trigger is something else, though.

Two years after the collapse of American civilization, hidden away in the mid-Atlantic countryside in the small town of Clearwate
Published April 14th 2018 by Evan Pickering (first published January 13th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Hood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hood

Start your review of Hood (American Rebirth #1)
Bryan Alkire
Mediocre novel. It’s cliché from beginning to end. The plot is cliché. The landscape is cliché. The characters are cliché. The writing reads like an unbelievable action movie…there were several instances where the main character got out of scrapes by luck and unrealistically given his physical condition. The one thing which saves the novel from a 1 is that the characters are well done. They all seem human with virtues and flaws and are relatable even if they are cliché stereotypes in backstory a ...more
Evan
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow...

This is a damned good book.

I've read a lot of postapoc fiction... a LOT, and I have to say that this is a solid five-star story.

What did I like about it? The characters. Mr. Pickering is able to bring these characters to life. They are people that you know... hell, they might even be you! Make no mistake, I like to have some ass-kicking in my wastelands, but it is ofen rare that I actually end up actually caring about the characters. Mr. Pickering does a fantastic job of making the reader
KarenK
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It's two years since the collapse of American civilization. Hood, Whiskey and the Clearwater crew survive by stealing just enough from the Kaiser to keep the town going. But they cannot stay hidden away forever. . . "

A fairly quick read at 170-ish pages, it's the zombie apocalypse without the zombies. Just really sick and messed up people from radiation sickness and two strong guys who want to live a normal life again.

The writing is ok, I just felt like it's a 'been there did that' kind of sto
Allison Cohen
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're interested in post apocalyptic literature, this should be at the top of your list. The thoughtfulness and depth of the characters, in conjunction with a compelling plot, creates the feeling of a hopeful wistfulness rather than the bleakness of other P.A. novels. Beautiful prose. ...more
Gretel
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apocalypse
This is a very readable post-apocalyptic tale. I do like the author's voice--he was able to bring me into the story and attach me to his characters more quickly than most. (view spoiler) The scenes themselves are, for the most part, well-balanced between description and action; however, I felt the ov ...more
Donna
May 19, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an interesting take on Robin Hood. I love that he still stood for the people during this apocalypse. I enjoyed the story and would be interested in where the author takes the series.
J.D.
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I won a copy of Evan Pickering’s Hood in a Goodreads Apocalypse Whenever drawing.

I’m not very well versed in all things Robin Hood. In fact, ninety percent of my knowledge about Robin Hood comes from the animated Disney movie; the other ten percent from the Kevin Costner movie that I saw once twenty years ago. Therefore, I probably missed a lot of the Robin Hood/Hood parallels that the author wove into the story, and unfortunately I also probably missed some of the depth. I don’t know what t
Brian's Book Blog
A coming of age tale for any age

I think one of the biggest shortcomings for new authors is creating characters that jump off the page. Pickering breaks the mold here with HOOD. Every character that the reader comes across felt essential and needed to the story. And it didn’t just stop there. Every person in the story had a purpose. They added something, either to the story or to other characters. That is a rarity among new authors and I’m glad to say that Pickering nailed it.

A “coming of age” ty
Marco C
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A poignant story and a good read overall

This is a sari get with some talent for setting up scenes and characters. The overall story, the post apocalyptic world the story is set is pretty good but less compelling than I would have liked. Maybe because we are not privy of The Fall and we only get bits and pieces from the memories of the characters.
Maybe this is a book that would merit a prequel to really make sense.
But I enjoyed living the story through the characters eyes and emotions and I am l
Rick Gilbertson
Not for me

I read lots of dystopian novels. This one I did not like and finally had to put it down. The writing is okay however after getting through about 20%of the book I couldn't take it any more. Some authors just drop you in the middle of things and it takes forever to get a feel for the characters and what's going on. I don't like that. I don't like his writing style and some of the things his characters say are just plain silly in my opinion. I'm not saying it's a bad book but it isn't o
Emily Ross
I received a free audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

This was a pretty good book - it had a decent plot with good characterization, but the narrator was spectacular. He had a way of bringing you in to the novel and making you care about the characters a lot quicker than most narrators. All of the characters were necessary, which is rare because normally in a novel you can imagine the novel without a specific character, but all of the characters in this post-apocalypse Robin Hood novel we
Andre Damrill
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hood - Why did you have to go

I really loved this book and could not put it down. This is rare for me because I like to read other books at the same time that catch my interest.

The Author of this Post Apocalyptic Novel really made his people come to life. I am still fighting the lump in my throat. Very mature and intelligent writing.

I am not a great reviewer but this is a must read book for all Apocalyptic readers. Don't pass this one up
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a dystopian world you expect dark and disturbing. This small band of survivors are trying to stay alive and hide from the evil left in the world. When Hood finds himself on his own, the world gets darker and survival even less probable.

The characters are well defined, even when they surprised me. We got into their heads.
The pace was consistent and flowed well. The situations described in detail.
I was allowed an audible version of this book for review purposes.
Lisa Eiff
Ok, I received the audiobook version of this book and figured it would be a quick read. Not so much. I found it hard to enter the world created in this book, and even harder to understand exactly where the characters were coming from, much less realize what was going on for the most part. I am honestly writing this review to have this book removed from my current reading list...

I received this book quite some time ago, started it, stopped...returned to it, stopped again...I just couldn't latch o
Chris
The aggressive re structuring of a human dystopian society is further heightened in a post apocalyptic setting within the USA, where access to fire arms is relatively easy. (Sic) That coming for the country that gave people the Austplotation imagery of the Mad Max series.
While being and exciting action adventure, and extremely suited to a visual media plot writer, this novel did not really provide anything new about people and the early days post apocalypse that would make this work otherwise st
Paul Baumeister
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Post Apocalyptic Robin Hood? SOLD!

Hood was that most surprising of things, a quick impulse buy on Amazon that didn’t cost much. I figured what the hell, if the book sucks I’m not out much. Holy crap, this was a good book! The writing only occasionally fell back on overly dramatic tropes, and was extremely well done. In one or two spots, there may have been some filler where the narrative seemed to lag a bit, but for the most part the pacing kept me moving along. Looking forward to diving into th
Dana Wood
Oct 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I hope I never have to live through an apocalypse...I can barely make it through a pandemic. That being said I rate this book 3 stars. Gritty story of a young man with gentle idealistic views in a world gone mad after his world has ended. He is true and loyal and feels deeply about his actions. Though the world around him tells him to forget the past he can't and won't. He goes through literal hell to rescue his sister but finds love and family in the people he cares for. ...more
Otis Doss III
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
A+

I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but something about the cover of this book, the green tinted one with the rifle on it, intrigued me. I'm glad it did, and I'm glad I read it. I really liked this book. The characters were easy to like (the good guys at least), the story was action packed, and the writing was good. I highly recommend it.
Liza
Nov 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Probably just the wrong book/genre for me.

There were only 3 main characters - together or as 2+1 or 1+2. Searching for another named character or two.

I find that I keep reading a bit of this book and then a whole other book and then another bit ... Oh, but loved chapter 7 (I hate heights) I've read 6 other books while reading this one.

Too much angst in the story.
Roger C. Sellman
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.

Kind of a cliff hanger sad ending, but lots of action and intrigue that keeps the book flowing. Thanks for the free book. I will be buying the second to keep up with Whiskey Taylor, and I suspect more from Hood.
Ceh131973
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well envisioned post apocalyptic world. The goal is survival and the plot keeps you moving on a quick pace with lulls long enough for you to catch your breath. The characters are developed and really drive the story. I am looking forward to more books in this series.
Michael J Ballew
This was just a fantastic read. I loved it from start to finish.can't wait to get started on the next one

Book was great story was great , it was Damon good entertainment, which is what I read for. Can't say enough. Read it.
Caleb
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this read. Although, at some points, it kind of dragged and left you wanting more. Overall, a good read. The characters are easy to relate to. The ending is what really got me though. It unexpected but a phenomenal way to end this story.
Rob Badger
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
More rounded than the prequel

Read this after the prequel and I think it is the best order to read them in, although this book can be read as a stand-alone.
I enjoyed it very much and felt greatly invested in the main characters.
Tom Britton
Apr 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
Post apoplectic fall under two categorize. Either the lots of action in world gone mad . Or very preachy and very negative 👎. This falls in the latter . All they do is whine in this book .
Not my cup of tea 🍵. 1-1/2 stars
Tom Getzinger
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good post-apocalyptic story. We never do find out what happened, but boy is America in a world of hurt. Perhaps later in the story we'll find out. The ending is very bittersweet. I won't say more. Good characters. Believable story. Could use better proofreading - lots of missing words. ...more
Chris Page
Apr 06, 2021 rated it it was ok
Finished this a while ago, it was ok, and as a one off worked well, was disappointed to find in the last few pages that a sequel was coming, that really is pointless, it just is not strong enough to warrant continuation.
Steve
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't Moby Dick, The Great Gatsby or Huckleberry Finn but I liked this book. ...more
Tammy Beasley
Engaging

Enjoyed the book but at times it was a listless over the top. If you like post-apocalyptic stories this is for you.
Rob Mueller
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good story!

The story was great and very believable! The characters were wonderful! Well worth the read! I will read the whole series!!

• Unbound (Dawn of Deception #1)
  • Sub-Human (Post-Human, #1)
  • Bishop's Honor (Surrender The Sun #1)
  • Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1)
  • Oasis (The Last Humans, #1)
  • Evolution Commandos:  Well of Furies
  • The Eden Paradox
  • Infinity: A Bridger's Origin (Bridgers, #0)
  • The Inca Con (Rex Dalton #5)
  • Pawn (Warchild #1)
  • Wanderer's Escape (Wanderer's Odyssey, #1)
  • Crimson Tempest (Survival Wars, #1)
  • Code to Extinction (Sam Reilly #9)
  • Negation Force (Obsidiar Fleet Book 1)
  • Lunar Discovery: Let the Space Race Begin (Discovery Series Book 1)
  • Fall to Earth (Pillars of Fire and Light, #1)
  • Cold Solar (Cold Solar #1)
  • Hand Made Mage

American Rebirth (3 books)
  • Whiskey (American Rebirth #2)
  • American Rebirth (American Rebirth #3)