Start by marking “Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Vol. 1 (Otakoi: Otaku Can't Fall in Love?!)” as Want to Read:
Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Vol. 1 (Otakoi: Otaku Can't Fall in Love?!)

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Vol. 1

(Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku #1-2)

GAMES OVER ROMANCE Narumi Momose has had it rough: Every boyfriend she’s had dumped her once they found out she was an otaku, so she’s gone to great lengths to hide it. When a chance meeting at her new job with childhood friend, fellow otaku, and now coworker Hirotaka Nifuji almost gets her secret outed at work, she comes up with a plan to make sure he never speaks up. But ...more
Published April 17th 2018 by Kodansha Comics

To ask other readers questions about Wotakoi, please sign up.

Start your review of Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Vol. 1 (Otakoi: Otaku Can't Fall in Love?!)
Ms. Smartarse
Even though slice-of-life and meta shows are among my absolute favorite genre, personal experience has taught me that I'm nowhere near knowledgeable enough to be a real-life otaku. Not only did I refuse to spend the truckload of money necessary to obtain even the smallest of merchandise (shipping from abroad is expensive!!), but a lot of the more popular shows eluded my interests.

Attack on merchandise
Next on Attack on Anime Merch: surrender, or Yubaba gets it!

Additionally, I'm not much of a manga fan. Sure I'll rea
Sam Quixote
Office workers by day, secret nerds by, well, all the time! Otaku are young Japanese people obsessed with games/manga/anime/cosplay, which is apparently stigmatized in Japanese society so our main characters have to hide their hobbies from co-workers/non-Otaku. Narumi starts work at a new company where her childhood friend Hirotaka also works and the two hook up. Joining them are another couple, Hanako and Kabakura, who also work in the same office, and the four of them happily nerd out in their ...more
Maria ☾ ⋆
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"We're together because I love you... and I like seeing you doing things that make you happy."

I loved it!! Everything about this Manga was so cute and funny! I mean I'm an Otaku (not that much) and a bookworm, so it's not a lie if I want to say that love is also hard for bookworms (for me ofc, I'm not sure about the others) Bc I can't find my ideal type in real world and I prefer fictional characters (I know it's insane but what can I do? 😂) if I want to be honest it's a little bit hard for us t
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
My brain says three stars, but my heart says four. I think you need to trust your heart when it comes to humour and geeky references.

We have two otaku couples:

Narumi Momose(The all-round geek who loves her anime and manga and cries at character deaths) and Hirotaka Nifuji (A hardcore gamer with a cool demeanour)

Image result for wotakoi gifs

And Tarō Kabakura (The less-intense, grumpy otaku) and Hanako Koyanagi (Who loves cosplaying as male characters and reading yaoi)

Image result for wotakoi gifs

The premise
Wotakoi centres around these two otaku couples
[Shai] Bibliophage
I request a reading copy of this manga because of the rating and that there is a lot of feedback about it. However, I was a little bit disappointed while reading it because it was not what I've expected it to be. It is not that great and that I find nothing spectacular especially with the characters and on the flow of the story.
Lauren
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars!

Wotakoi is a pleasantly refreshing manga – it’s not written as a continuous piece but instead is made of ‘scenes’ (little snippets of their lives) which are often hilarious, cute or both! This manga focuses on two couples who are all “otaku” – people who are really into their pop culture/gaming so much so that it sometimes affects their ability to communicate in social situations.

The first couple comprises of Hirotaka Nifuji who is a bit Clark Kent-esque (appearance wise) and Narumi Mom
Sarah Marie
Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku 1 by Fujita

DNF @ page 53

I don't know. I just could not get into this one. I tried. I wanted something cute, light and fluffy and with cheesy office romance, but I was unimpressed with the pointless plot. The panels were packed with too many words and it overshadowed the art. It was unappealing to my eyes and the story wasn't enough to hold my attention. I'm probably just being incredibly negative and everyone will love this, but I'm not loving it and I won't be co

{Laurel}
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads, fluff
ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review...

I really loved this volume! Our main characters are childhood friends who both struggle to find love because they're both otaku's. Narumi loves manga and BL, while Hirotaka loves playing video games. They soon begin dating and volume 1 consists of their hilarious antics with their two friends, who are also otaku's and in a relationship.

I really loved Hirotaka in this! He is stoic and doesn't mind being alone, but is also very sweet and in love wi
Jen
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book was quite cute, though definitely for older teens and adults. I appreciated the glimpse into the life of those who live on the other side of the planet from me. I admit to being just a tad bit enamored with Japanese culture, so to read a manga that showed a bit of what normal people in Japan do was very interesting.

The artwork was not fantastical (except for Hana-chan), but true to life and I have to say, the H MC was rather scrumptious and the h MC was quite cute, which is to be expe
Scrill
When childhood friends Narumi and Hirotaka run into each other as adults, it soon becomes evident that since they're both adult otaku that they would make a good couple.

The Story
So the story was quite promising for me. I thought it would be really cute to see two awkward characters navigate their relationship. Unfortunately, there wasn't much about their actual romantic relationship that made me keep reading to see how they cope. Now it has been a few years since I was an avid manga reader/anime
beth {hiatus} F.
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.75 -

This was so good! It was relatable and funny, which I appreciated. I loved the art style and was glad that it was consistent. I’ve reread this 3, maybe 4, times simply because I enjoyed it so much!!

Some of the moments were extremely relatable. I’ve had some happen to me before or to some of my friends. Other scenes haven’t happened to me but I do know that other otaku do do those scenes.

The relationships were well done. The romantic ones were great but so were the platonic ones, too. I
Derryn
I’ve read the first volume in this 2volume addiction.... and I liked the premise but felt a lot was lost in translation, unfortunately just not for me

Just finished the second volume although I did enjoy parts of this it’s just not something I’ve gelled with and probably won’t continue.

🌟🌟
Sionna
*I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

So, this review will be for the 1st and 2nd volume since that is what I received from Netgalley and may I say that was surprising. I thought I only had one volume, but having two just made me so happy.

I absolutely loved this manga. It is so cute. This story is about Otaku in love, so it is dorky and fun with some awkward moments included.
It is more of a slice of life manga, so there isn't exactly a plot. This is
Sydney (sydneysshelves) West
This was so freaking cute. I need the next volume now!
delaney
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, favorites
A hilarious, slice-of-life manga with adult characters that are otaku and hella adorable? Um, yes please. I honestly think if you really want to enjoy this, you have to be at least semi-otaku as well.

There are multiple references to anime I have heard of like Neon Genesis Evangelion but I haven't watched BUT YOU DON'T NEED TO. You are still able to understand the humor! Most importantly, I found the humor so relatable!!!

I cry watching Sailor Moon too, how could you not?

Aww, he's proud t
Laura Grace
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-read
2.5/3 stars

I had some mixed feelings concerning this story and a little unsure what to say. Originally, I picked it up because it sounded like a lot of fun and really loved the cover.

The story in many ways *was* fun. However, I was personally caught off guard by the amount of perverted comments or conversations. It really put a damper on things.

Though even with that said, I do commend the author because I still kept reading. This story *really* is a rom com with an awkward romance and that was a
Aleksandra
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
As on the third time reading this volume, I must say I would happily date any of the the core four, I love them.

As on the second time reading this book, my thoughts haven’t changed since back then.

Original review:

I loved it so much! Pretty artwork, cute and funny romantic comedy, adorable characters.
I love the romance between these characters, I love the friendship between these four nerds.

I don’t like the fetishizing of gay men, plenty scenes and phrases made me uncomfortable, I wish they weren
Ulfa
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-story
Finished reading: Vol 1-3

25 July '20:
After done reading all of published chapters, all I can say is that I'm so happy that I'm not the only one enjoying and loving these kind of hobby (watching anime, reading manga, playing games) in my late 20s. People can be very judgemental sometimes and labeled us as "weird" or "inappropriate" when we associated ourselves with otaku culture in general. But hobby is a hobby, no? And in terms of reading: reading is a reading, no matter what kind of book we
Sara
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Title: Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku
Published: 17th April 2018, by Kodansha Comics.
Pages: 256
Volume: 1 and 2
Format: eBook/ARC from NetGalley
Genre: Young Adult, New Adult, Romance, Contemporary, Sequential Art, Manga, Graphic Novels.
Contains: Sexual Content, Crude Humour, BL, Crossdressing, Cosplay, Fujoshi, Gamer.
My Rate: 4.5/5 stars

I received a copy of this book from Kodansha Comics through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Might contain slight spoilers so read at your own risk.

Full
Beth
Feb 08, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
It's nice to have a manga that's about real adults rather than teenagers. These are folks who have to squeeze in their hobbies around commuting and full-time work.

I had a hard time getting into these characters to begin with. Once I got accustomed to them, though, unfortunately I found I don't like them all that much. It's fun but unless it changes substantially in the next volume or two, it won't be a favorite.
Courtney
Not one I totally loved, but I enjoyed reading it. Rather than one extended storyline, the larger story is broken up into smaller storylines as we follow the characters in their day-to-day lives.
It’s an interesting way to learn more about Japanese culture, as each volume has many references scattered throughout, with more detailed explanations at the back of the book. It’s also an interesting way to learn about the ‘geek’ culture of Japan - as they’re generally referred to, the Otaku (the close
Dale Kulas
This marks the first manga I read. I liked this take on otaku culture and can kind of relate in my younger years how I was nervous of friends and peers discovering my nerdy fandoms. Some of the Otaku culture references went right over my head and I was a little baffled to see there was a glossary for most of the terms and references about halfway through the book. Other times there are brief fun little footnotes, but felt the references could have been used better down there instead of at a glos ...more
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review

Funny, cute as can be and highly entertaining!

Now I will be honest and say that a few times I felt very lost with some things they referenced but I still was able to understand what was going on with the story so don't worry there. I loved how when they would make certain choices bars like a video game would appear. It's something I've not seen done in manga before. The characters are what this manga of course. Overall, a wonderful manga, pick it up
Alexa
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Full disclosure: I watched the anime before reading the manga. But even though I’d already “seen” all of the events that happen in this first volume, I still found it utterly enjoyable to read. It was fun revisiting these characters, seeing their relationships and also just reading about adult otakus.
Izzy
Dec 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2020, manga
Very cute fun manga. I enjoyed the dynamics between both couples.
Rachel
This is so cute! It's less about the drama or any real plot, more about the characters! I love that their friends are also dorks in love. Can't wait to watch the anime 😊 ...more
A.E. Bross
Honestly, I really, really enjoyed this manga. It feels like it might be my gateway for getting back into manga. This is a cute, awkward, more grown-up romance with people who are generally considered immature because they love what they love. It feels nice to be reading something with an older cast, and I'm loving that I get most, if not all, of the references. I'm not quite an otaku, but I've been there before.

Can't wait to read the next one.
Tahyun
This feels familiar, authentic, and hilariously relatable. I'm Otaku and I approve this manga. ...more
Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food)
DNF at page 112.

I really wanted to like this much more than I did. Someone out there will like this one...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Sweat and Soap, Vol. 1
  • あせとせっけん 2 [Ase to sekken 2] (Sweat and Soap, #2)
  • あせとせっけん 4 [Ase to sekken 4] (Sweat and Soap, #4)
  • Sweat and Soap, Vol. 3
  • Sweat and Soap, Vol. 5
  • ホリミヤ 1 (Horimiya, #1)
  • ホリミヤ 2 (Horimiya, #2)
  • ホリミヤ 5 (Horimiya #5)
  • ホリミヤ 3 (Horimiya #3)
  • ホリミヤ 4 (Horimiya #4)
  • ホリミヤ 6 (Horimiya, #6)
  • ホリミヤ 10 (Horimiya, #10)
  • ホリミヤ 7 (Horimiya, #7)
  • ホリミヤ 8 (Horimiya, #8)
  • ホリミヤ 13 (Horimiya, #13)
  • SPY×FAMILY 2 (Spy x Family, #2)
  • ホリミヤ 11 (Horimiya, #11)
  • ホリミヤ 12 (Horimiya, #12)

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku (9 books)
  • Keine Cheats für die Liebe 01
  • ヲタクに恋は難しい 2 [Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 2] (Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for Otaku, #2)
  • ヲタクに恋は難しい 3 [Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 3] (Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for Otaku, #3)
  • ヲタクに恋は難しい 4 [Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 4] (Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for Otaku, #4)
  • ヲタクに恋は難しい 5 [Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 5] (Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for Otaku, #5)
  • ヲタクに恋は難しい 6 [Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 6] (Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for Otaku, #6)
  • ヲタクに恋は難しい 7 [Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 7] (Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, #7)
  • ヲタクに恋は難しい 8 [Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 8] (Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for Otaku, #8)
  • ヲタクに恋は難しい 9 [Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 9] (Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for Otaku, #9)

News & Interviews