Start by marking “Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)

Frankly in Love

(Frankly in Love #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  5,728 ratings  ·  1,524 reviews
High school senior Frank Li is a Limbo–his term for Korean-American kids who find themselves caught between their parents’ traditional expectations and their own Southern California upbringing. His parents have one rule when it comes to romance–“Date Korean”–which proves complicated when Frank falls for Brit Means, who is smart, beautiful–and white. Fellow Limbo Joy Song ...more
Published September 10th 2019 by G.P. Putnam’s Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Frankly in Love, please sign up.
Rebekah
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
JME It's was a fairly typical and predictable teen fiction. Of course gays should be included.…moreIt's was a fairly typical and predictable teen fiction. Of course gays should be included. (less)

·  5,728 ratings  ·  1,524 reviews

Start your review of Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
Chaima ✨ شيماء
therapy: expensive

adding books with the fake-dating trope to your TBR: free
Chloe
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book:
• Was SO relatable (Frank is Korean American and I related to a LOT of his experiences)
• Has the fake dating trope
• Has amazing characters
• Explores complex family relationships
• Explores race
• Has an adorable romance
• Has humour
• Is simply everything

I highly recommend checking this out if you're into any/all of these things! This was a super anticipated release for me and it did not disappoint. This comes out 12th September!

TW: cancer

Thank you to Penguin Random House Australia for
jessica
this is written by nicola yoons husband and there are no greater couple goals than spouses who write together. i love that for them.

however, i will say that i prefer nicolas stories to her husbands. and thats not because anything is blatantly wrong with this, its just personal storytelling preferences.

what missed the mark for me is the promise of fake dating (one of my fave tropes), but the fake dating takes place for only a couple of chapters. i get that its the natural progression of the plot,
Warda
Jan 04, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
YOU GUYS THIS BOOK!!
It's my life (except the fake-dating)!
I mean, every ethnic house-hold can relate to the whole dating within your race nonsense and juggling your culture alongside the society you actually grew up in.

Our parents, man.
Confused.com!
Kai
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Frankly, Frank Li is a bit of a dick.

We all know this book is going to be a bestseller. The cover is great, the story is promising, the hype is real. But if I had to describe this book in one word? Weird. So so weird.

I'm obviously not Korean so I can't speak for the realistic portrayal of growing up as a second-generation Korean teenager in the US. It felt real enough though. Frank and his Korean-American friends all struggle with the huge gap between the expectations of their parents and the
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Oh no! I didn’t intend to blurt out the story but I couldn’t hold my words! Now I have spoiler free review! You may skip it, view it after reading book or burn before reading! It’s all up to you!!!

Another book turned me into Foucault pendulum swinging between three and four, too many readers may be called me “cruel bitch” but I think 3.45 stars won’t be rounded up to 4 !

Surprisingly at the beginning I was so ready to give five stars because from the first pages, dry humor, sarcastic
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Tbh, this book was just okay. While I did enjoy the nuanced look at his family and his life, it took me quite a long time to actually connect to Frank as a character. I didn't really like the way his inner-monologue was written or the writing style in general, so I struggled to connect with the book as a whole. Womp :(

TW: racism, shootings, cheating, cancer, death of a loved one
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡ (semi-hiatus)
3 / 5 stars

Overall of this book is okay. It’s really entertaining and easy for you to enjoy, laugh and cry (maybe just a little because it’s not that sad) while reading it but man, my one and only biggest problem with this book is that I. DON’T. LIKE. FRANK. LI. I don’t like this guy even a bit. I don’t like him since he thought of another person when he was with someone else and that person who he thought of already had a boyfriend. See? Is this okay? Even if I can predict how the story from
Jessica
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book for free from the publisher. Since I received an ARC, my quotes from the book are tentative.

I give this book 4.5 stars which rounds up to 5.

This book was so good! It’s a romance but it goes so much deeper than just that. At the core, it’s a story about first love, racism, identity, and family.

I absolutely loved that this book did not shy away from talking about racism, especially the racism of Koreans towards African Americans and other Asian communities. I haven
Erin
Goodreads giveaway win!

Reading Rush: Read a debut author

Y'ALL!

T.H.I.S. B.O.O.K.

I loved it!

But first can we just take a minute to discuss the fact that David Yoon & Nicola Yoon are one of my new favorite couples.

WHY AM I STILL SO SINGLE???

Now on to the review.....

Frank Li has two names. Frank Li, his American name. Then there's Sung-Min Li, his Korean name. Frank barely speaks Korean. He was born and raised in Southern California.

Even so, his parents still expect him to end up with a
Larry H
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm between 4 and 4.5 stars.

Frankly in Love is a fascinating look at love, friendship, cultural identity, parent-child relationships, and prejudice. I had been waiting for this book to come out for a while, and David Yoon certainly didn't disappoint me!

Frank Li is smart and funny, a first-generation American who tries hard to be a good son and a good friend. His parents want him to study hard and especially meet a nice Korean girl, so he doesn’t get disowned like his older sister.

Of course,
Lola
This novel was written by the husband of Nicola Yoon, the amazing writer of EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING and THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR so, of course, I absolutely needed to read this book ASAP.

I really liked the representation. I knew little about Korean social norms and cultural habits before going into this book so my brain was definitely awake and ready to learn. Without info-dumping us, the author clearly explained why Frank Li felt caught between two worlds and why he disagreed with some of his
C.G. Drews
the buzz has been loud for this one and I was keen to try it. It didn't turn out to be exactly a fluffy romcom like it's being pitched as. But I really liked the angles it took, the topics it dealt with, and how it mixed up absolute relatable teen nonsense and angst, with tackling big issues. And you can totally feel the love and details and heart that goes into #ownvoices books (which aren't always easy to be vulnerable and write) so shout out to that!

// Frank is, quite frankly, super loveable
Laurie Anderson
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing - one of the best of 2019 for me. Pre-order it now, or ask your library to do it.
Isabella
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddy-read, lgbtq, arcs
Actual rating: 4.5 stars (ノヮ)ノ*:・゚

You’re gonna wanna read this one!!
Tatiana
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: John Green fans
Penguin is promoting Frankly in Love very heavily. It appears they are banking on David Yoon becoming the next John Green. Maybe he will, we'll see. If you are a big John Green fan, and like his nerdy humor, precocious pretentiousness, fascination with girls as otherworldly creatures, you should give this book a go. A cute romance Frankly in Love is definitely not. Frank's love life is the weakest part of this novel, IMO. But more on that later.

Frankly in Love is more of a coming-of-age story,
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
hands down one of my favourite books of the year.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Thank you so much to Penguin Teen Australia for the review copy!

trigger warnings: racism, shooting, panic attack, cheating, (view spoiler)

representation: Korean American rep (own voices), African American rep, panic attacks, gay rep.

I really enjoyed this one, although not as
✨ A ✨
Sep 30, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-release
I am FRANKLY IN LOVE WITH THIS COVER

4 Oct, 2018
It's going to be a movie whaaaaat?? The Yoon's are slaying!

1 Oct, 2019
Nicola Yoon's husband? I can't wait to get my hands on this!
Irina
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read like 200 pages but I can't bring myself to finish this book. I don't know if it's the writing style or the story in general but I just don't like it. I think that this kind of books are not for me anymore.
Leona  Carstairs
Oct 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Actual footage of me attempting to check this out from the YA room of the downtown library . . . . .

Frank Li is your regular meganerd who, when not studying in an attempt to score 1500 or better on the SATs in order to get into “The Harvard,” can usually be found with his buddy Q . . . .

Like most nerds, Q and I spend our time watching obscure movies, playing video games, deconstructing the various absurdities of reality, and so on.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Jun 23, 2018 marked it as releases-2019
this husband-wife duo truly invented YA. this sounds like a fantastic story about Korean-American identity and also fake-dating!
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
"I try to eat my lower lip. Then I remember the first Rule of Being a Person: no auto-cannibalism."

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I was really excited about starting Frankly in Love by David Yoon, but it really missed the mark for me. Additionally, this is a DNF, which I usually save for my DNF&Y post at the end of the month, but
Christmas Carol ꧁꧂
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christmas Carol ꧁꧂ by: 1
4.5

My first arc-read-before-the-book-is-published! I'm so excited! Thank you so much Penguin NZ for gifting me this & for being happy for me to share my opinion of the book.

I used to say about my parents, "I just can't talk to Mum & Dad!" But American born Frank really couldn't talk to his parents - their English was bad and his Korean was worse. A lifetime of misunderstanding come to a head in Frank's final semester at high school. Frank is clear on two things - he doesn't want to
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)

I really enjoyed Frank's voice in this one, I found him immediately relatable and I love how the novel tackled racism in one's own family. The fake dating trope was lots of fun, but it does turn quite serious towards the end of the book when it comes to family.

I didn't really like Frank as a person because of how he treated his friends, family and the girls that he dates. He's quite self-centered. I also didn't like how Q was treated in the overall story arc.

Full review posted on Happy
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
hello guys! guess what? its time to bring on the trumpets again:
because well hello! says hello to my new disappointmentof 2019!!

i wanted to love this so so much you cant imagine my happiness when i saw the synopsis and than got the arc. Why do my anticipated books and me not have a happy ending??? :(

#this review contains spoilers because i cant tell u all the wrongs without spoiling

I have no idea where to even begin? i shall start with the blurb i guess?
SO, we have Frank Li who is a high
Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books)
A hugethank you to PenguinTeen for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review! I received this book as part of a promotion.

Y’all, how little did I know what I was getting myself into when I read this book. I knew it was going to be good, and I expected a cute, fluffy romance but it was so much more than that. In the best way possible.

All quotes are taken from the ARC and may change in the finished copy.

Content warning: death of a loved one, racism

“We all want to love who we want
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

2.5 Stars

Frankly in Love by David Yoon is a book I had been highly anticipating as I have seen it hyped up everywhere. Unfortunately, much of the book is stereotypical and underdeveloped, and there is no plot, just drama. I found that the main character is difficult to support, and many events are just tossed into the plot needlessly. Honestly, I am disappointed in this one.

Frank Li is a Korean-American whose parents only allow him to date Korean girls. When Frank

• Permanent Record
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Slay
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • With the Fire on High
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • The Grace Year
  • Look Both Ways
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Jackpot
  • A Match Made in Mehendi
  • The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

Frankly in Love (2 books)
  • Untitled (Frankly in Love, #2)
“Humanity's greatest strength - and also the reason for its ultimate downfall - is its ability to normalize even the bizarre.” 11 likes
“Laughter is the music of the deep cosmos connecting all human beings that says all the things mere words cannot.” 9 likes