Start by marking “The Science of Rapid Skill Acquisition: Advanced Methods to Learn, Remember, and Master New Skills, Information, and Abilities” as Want to Read:

Scientific Methods to accelerate your learning to save time, beat competition, and get from Point A to point B at the speed of light.
Learning is the key to bettering your circumstances and becoming the person you want to be. Skills, information, and abilities will never come to you - it’s up to you to seek them out, and this book shows you how to do so in the most
Published April 14th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Rapid Skill Acquisition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Rapid Skill Acquisition

Start your review of The Science of Rapid Skill Acquisition: Advanced Methods to Learn, Remember, and Master New Skills, Information, and Abilities
Stefan
Sep 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Neither scientific nor practical. There are loose anecdotes and half correct regurgitations of concepts developed by smarter people and that's basically it.
Learning is hard but worth it, there that's the book for you.
It isn't even a good overview of existing methods, so I don't know who that book is for. In my opinion this book is absolutely wasted time, pseudo science, and bad self-help garbage.
Boni Aditya
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: learning
What value does this book add?

Yes, it does add some value, in that it carefully captures various aspects of learning into clear frameworks. Almost all the knowledge in the book is taken from elsewhere. The author has made zero contributions or original contributions to this book, except that he has organized it carefully into a small readable book. Almost everything from this book is taken from other books, all of which I have read already, for example, he takes from Cal Newport a few concepts,
Enzo
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: life
Some of the things on the book are common sense. But you really have to think about it to see what the book wants you to learn. The thing is its not really science. Its more about following well meaning advice. It kinda of threw me off a couple of times but I muddled through it.

Muhamed
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
The book feels like a comprehensive collection of blog posts on the topic of learning and skill acquisition. There are many practical tips. I knew many already but to have them all in one place was a great reminder.
LeRaquin
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The critical right answers.

Peter Hopkins has given me a fresh breath; towards learning. Throughout my life I have achieved success in many endeavers. Along the way there have been many failures. The failures produced corrective action and that made them benifical. This book has organized a clear path to quickly acquire new skills in a short time with complete comprehension and knowledge. Being born in 1939; I am still learning and acquiring new skills.
For the last two years, I have had a mental
T
Jul 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-gonna-finish
I started this book and immediately was unimpressed. It's one of those books that spends the time selling itself a fair degree, contradicting itself at times, and then it began an overview of the various learning styles so that you could understand them all. That's more a summary of the current scientific understanding of how learning might be structured/understood/broken down, not something useful! I gave up an hour or two in; anyone who's interested in this should probably read Make It Stick: ...more
Josh Maulucci
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I wasn't very in depth, but it was a nice overview of the subject. I would say this is a great introduction to a lot of these ideas, and if you like what you see (hear), it's a good jumping-off point for a deeper dive.
Henry
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my second book by Peter Hollins. The first was Build a Better Brain. The Science of Rapid Skill Acquisition is similar in that it combines the research of the "why" with the instructions to complete the "how". The
Science of Rapid Skill Acquisition is much more aggressive in what you should and should not do where as the Build a Better Brain was more academic. I strongly believe that the skills and methods the author writes about should be taught in the middle school level, if not
Kevin Potter
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Here we have a surprisingly simple step-by-step guide that will walk you through an exceptionally in-depth and analytical process of learning and improving new skills.

As this is non-fiction, my only real demand of the narrator is that he was an easy voice that is pleasant to listen to, which Russell Newton fits well.

Some of the processes detailed in the book seem rather obvious, while others were things I had never considered before.

For anyone who enjoys methodical, analytical processes, this
Dan Lucking
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
OK as a reminder of stuff I've mostly already heard, nothing revolutionary

At one point he mentions the law of diminishing returns and "that if you've already read 4 books on a subject, the fifth one is unlikely to give you much new information"

If this is your nth book on productivity/learning, just stop it! Go and actually do something instead! (hopefully I will remember this next time)
Bernard Shaw
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Super Self Help Book

A well written and concise self help book that manages the balance between too much detail and brevity well.
Some reviewers commented about it regurgitating common sense, but aren’t most subjects common sense when they are presented to the reader well?
Con Spyropoulos
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good thoroughly recommend it

Book details all aspects required to learn a new skill from study methods, social aspects, frame of mind.
Very good for someone trying to maximise their learning retention.
Khalid Phaisongkham
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book

Well researched. I found a lot of help ideas and strategies for rapid skills acquisition. Now it’s about taking action. This is definitely one of those books you have to go over again
Shawn Mcdowell
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Science of Rapid Skills

I really enjoyed this book and I highly recommend this to anyone that wants to improve their lives. Read it and practice it and you will improve your learning skills.
Kari Mccrory
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good summary of the science of learning. I particularly appreciate the summaries at the end of each chapter and the end of the book.
Richard Bowman
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The author has a series of books on Learning, I've found each helpful and easy to follow.
Mike
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enlightening

Well informed breakdown of the learning processes. Practical, useful content. I highly recommend this read for someone who needs a fresh approach for skill acquisition.
Avinash Pandey
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
# When you wish to explore why few people do same things better and faster compared to others#
Peter G Vermouth
Boring

Didn't say anything that isn't obvious or just p!son common sense. You could have written something better. Go do it.
Jonas Vestre
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great, lets get started

Nice, tackles solid methods, while using diverse analogies. Short, right to the heart of the matter. I would definitely recommend.

Vishal Kapoor
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Excellent book that enhances skills at many levels. I was surprised at the concepts stated and wished I had know this earlier
Jon
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Realistic Learning Method

Love the breaking learning into pieces and the concept that you get what you give. Free time vs skill acquisition, etc.
Rishi
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Not really advanced tho
Sloan
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice and quick general overview of some well known learning techniques. Nothing groundbreaking for anyone that has looked into the subject before.
Hemel
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short and concise book that helps build the framework for rapid skill acquisition. As with all teachings, the real benefits come with regular practice.

Whilst the methods may not always be original, Peter Hollins does a good job of breaking down and formalising the things that we may have thought about and perhaps, didn't know how to put into action.

It is a good read for those that are looking for the best ways to learn skills across a range of subjects but want to find the right structure
Patty Helena
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing how a book can open up one's eyes to realize how many mistakes one has made. If you want to grow and change for the better, if you want to gain better habits and create more skills that bring your further in life, then this book is for you.
Jason Comely
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Can't quite give it four stars, as I'm familiar with all the methods in this book. It's well written and an excellent primer for anyone not already well-versed in this stuff.
Dawid
Oct 01, 2019
Ashraf
Nov 08, 2019
Dani
Mar 21, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Así se domina el mundo: Desvelando las claves del poder mundial
  • The First 20 Hours: How to Learn Anything...Fast
  • The Oxygen Advantage: The Simple, Scientifically Proven Breathing Techniques for a Healthier, Slimmer, Faster, and Fitter You
  • The Unicorn Project
  • The Great Mental Models: General Thinking Concepts
  • The 5 Elements of Effective Thinking
  • The Millionaire Booklet
  • The Art of Clear Thinking: Mental Models for Better Reasoning, Judgment, Analysis, and Learning. Upgrade Your Intellectual Toolkit.
  • Introvert Survival Tactics: How to Make Friends, Be More Social, and Be Comfortable In Any Situation (When You Just Want to Go Home And Watch TV Alone)
  • Shape Up: Stop Running in Circles and Ship Work that Matters