Start by marking “At Water's Edge (The Last Elentrice #1)” as Want to Read:
At Water's Edge (The Last Elentrice #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

At Water's Edge

(The Last Elentrice #1)

A fast-paced adventure for fans of Twilight and The Mortal Instruments.
What if there was another you, in another world?
DEZARAY IS FROM EARTH.

LEXOVIA IS FROM COLDIVOR.
BUT WHEN THEY ACCIDENTALLY TRADE PLACES… Dezaray is thrust into a world on the brink of war. And the only one powerful enough to stop it is the sorceress, Lexovia.
Published April 14th 2018 by S McPherson Books (first published November 10th 2015)

Start your review of At Water's Edge (The Last Elentrice #1)
Dianne
Do you believe there can be parallel worlds, similar to, yet different from Earth? Could another you be existing in another place? Is your true love waiting across a portal? Can one exist in another world with their “twin?” So many exciting questions, right? Discover another place, lost portals and an adventure filled with danger, misunderstandings and even young love. At Water’s Edge by S. McPherson is a journey into another world, another reality touched with humor, power and new discoveries.

D
Carrie
Every wonder if there was another "you" out there, another world? A world you can travel to by portals.

Dezaray and Lexovia look almost exactly a like, yet they are from two different dimensions. They are each others counterparts, one from the world as we know it. The other, Lex is from a magical world filled with dwarves, vampires and other magical creatures.

I find that this is the kind of book that you can't speak much about because by doing so it will spoil it for those wishing to read it. I
Brianna Johnson
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two worlds, two girls so similar yet so different, a portal that links these two different worlds together . Two people so completely in love yet can't be together, will they make it? Find out in this extraordinary book by S. McPherson what happens when two girls from two worlds accidentally switch places and must live the life of the other while trying to get back to there rightful world, with war looming in one world see these two girls make friends and try to pull of acting as each other in a ...more
Diana
Feb 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnfed
The book presents us with two girls who are practically the same person, or two manifestations of the same person living in two different worlds. One lives in a world were her parents died and she thinks its her fault and that it makes her deserve the beatings her drunkard brother inflicts her, which being honest, raised a red flag for me on liking this character or this book. And the other lives in a weird world with weird friends. And one day both worlds collide and the two girls meet and exch ...more
MadsTheBookworm2.0
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Written by Shalina McPherson, this fantasy/science fiction series mixes magic, parallel universes, human and magical counterparts (people similiar but different to us), romance, adventure and tones of humour. Extremely entertaining, it’s a great series for those who love fantasy books with a twist.

Dezaray Storm is a 17 year old girl who lives with her older brother Drake. After their parents death, Dezaray and Drake took over their parents business and live off of it. Drake, who is constantly dr
Aanchal
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-started
**4.5 stars**

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book! And was constantly asking myself why I didn't pick it up before.

I adored the world Ms. McPherson created. I loved how vast and different it was from our world. The people of Coldivor and the spells they used, the powers they had. It was all mesmerizing. This story also had a fantastic cast of characters which I will definitely look forward to reading more of.

The only thing that I found difficult was that it was a bit slow at some po
S. McPherson
Sep 03, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hello there,

I wrote this book and will be releasing it on November 10th. In the meantime I will be putting up excerpts and would love to get your feedback.

Please click on the 'Read Book' tab and let me know your thoughts :)

Thanks in advance,
S.McPherson
C. McIntosh
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
4 stars

I was given an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review, so here it is.

I enjoyed At Water’s Edge. I found the story vibrant, action packed and intriguing. The plot itself was intriguing because it offered a world full of magic that often appeared superior to ours. I felt a little envious when I discovered the inhabitant’s magical abilities!

The whole story was well thought and colourful. I particularly liked the phrases “’No,’ I repeat in something quicker than a whisper.” The
Jessica Hansen
Rating: 2.5

I had a hard time getting into this book. It starts off a little bit too slow for me and most of the time there isn't anything happening.

I was intrigued by the concept of the story and I think the whole doppelgänger in a different dimension is amazing but the execution lacked in depth.

You clearly see that it is a debut novel when it comes to the storytelling and language used. The names reminded me too much of Harry Potter and I had a hard time remembering what has been what.

Another
Alyssa Kendrick
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had such great expectations for this book and they completely met them. I can honestly say I haven't read anything like it. I can't wait until the next one comes out!! ...more
Julayn Adams
DNF:
I tried, but I just couldn't get into this book. Although I feel like the author is talented and imaginative, this story just felt way too forced. However, I wouldn't refuse to review future books from this author as I think she's got a book in there that I'd enjoy. This just wasn't the one.

Cassiopeia's Moon
I received this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

After reading the title and synopsis I expected something with sirens or mermaids. A beautiful world where water played a major role and a romance beyond worlds.

Instead I found a bad case of insta love, tropes and a not so well written heroine. That together with a writing style that didn't explain enough dropped this book quite a few notches. It is put as YA, but it is written in a way that makes me think of younger teens. Here I w
Mel (Epic Reading)
Stopped at page 91.
This is a bad combination of mooning, insta-love from Twilight, spells and school construct from Harry Potter, and classification by skills of Divergent.
Unfortunately the Twilight piece is there at all, ugh. The classification is told to use and not shown (literally a lecture from a minor character, yawn). And the spells and school construct might as well be stolen from Rowling.

What should make this book stand apart?
The alternate dimension that has a doppelgänger in it. Thi
Fay Tannerr
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
4.5 Stars!

In At Water's Edge there is a parallel world called Coldivor. Coldivor is a world filled with magic and supernatural beings. The people of Coldivor are counterparts of the people to Earth.

Dezaray Strom is an ordinary 17-year-old girl living in England. Everything changes one night when she is accidentally taken across a portal into Coldivor and her counterpart; Lexovia is left behind on Earth.

Lexovia is the most powerful sorceress of Coldivor and if she were missing, It won't go unnot
Erik Nelson
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever someone has a bad life, they always wish to have a different and easier life. But what if that wish did come true at a very unique price? Of course this type of plot has been used many times in literature and film. Probably the most famous of them all is “The Wizard Of Oz.” But that’s the problem with all of these stories that follows this formula. They all seem to copy off “Oz” and they bring no original material to their story other than new character names. Thankfully, author S. McPh ...more
Jhelum Ghosh
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi readers
Recommended to Jhelum by: We ♥ YA Books!
I received At Water's Edge free from We ♥ YA Books! and the author S. McPherson in exchange of my honest review.

"They say love can cross oceans but can it cross worlds?"

4/5 stars. I am not much of a sci-fi reader and has been facing some difficulties getting into it, so tried out At Water's Edge as an experiment. I am happy with my decision since I am now seriously pumped about picking up more sci-fi books.

I am truly mesmerized by S.McPherson's writing. Her use of language, words, imageries
Maghon Thomas
This is a very interesting book. After Dezaray loses her parents, she's struggling. And she also has dreams that turn out to be premonitions, and there's also a portal to a parallel world. Wow right! And there's of course a prince Charming, kinda. LOL And a great adventure, some “finding yourself moments” and a sweet romance. There's also a beautiful fantasy world that was built here. Oh, but it starts out oh so sad, with an abusive brother, and a devastating loss, and a little despair. Thank g ...more
Rita Ames
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want a great example of the 'Love is Blind' saying then this book is for you. Inter-dimensional wars - dopplegangers on each side of a portal. It's got it all.

When Dezaray and Milo fall in love their need to be together over-rides the fact that they are from different worlds and can only see each other safely for 90mins every 2 weeks (some would say that is the perfect relationship!) As love flies in, commone sense flies out and the two hapless lovers manage to start a war before everyone
Tara
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received the book free from the We ♥ YA Books! group and/or the author in exchange for a honest review. I loved the ideas for the story--alternate or parallel type worlds, a bit of magic, a bit of romance. Even so, there were times I struggled to get through the story. Some of the words coined for the book felt forced or like spin-offs from Harry Potter. I struggled to keep them (and the bad guys) straight. Sometimes, Dezaray frustrated me--I do not relate well to characters who have little se ...more
Rachel's Book Reviews
3 stars, maybe 3.5.

Good, but a little ambiguous as far as plot goes. Still not entirely sure what happened/how/why.

Terms were very difficult to keep straight. I don't know... It's going to take awhile for me to decide.
Rochelle
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have
3.5 stars rounded up because of the potential to evolve. I liked it but didn't love it. Full review to come. ...more
Jason Hubbard
I found this book on Twitter and got it because it sounded intriguing. The concept of a "mirrorverse" can be fun to explore within both fantasy and sci fi.
I had thought this story would be one of adventure and intrigue, but it quickly becomes more of a romance than anything. This would be fine if the couple had any chemistry that went beyond physical attraction and fun nights on the town, but it doesn't. And unfortunately, the main character, Dezaray, proves to be really foolish and self-centere
Bianca
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
at the water's edge by s.mcpherson

**i was given an electronic copy in exchange for an honest review as part of YA Reads BOOK BLOG TOUR

Synopsis:

‘Her, him and the magical twin’, ‘Can another you be existing in another place?’, ‘They say love can cross oceans but can it cross worlds?’; these are just a few ways in which ‘At Water’s Edge’ can be summed up.

‘At Water’s Edge’ tells the tale of Dezaray Storm; a 17-year-old girl from England who is mistaken for the most powerful sorceress of a distant la
Adrian G Hilder
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans looking for a teen romance story
At The Waters Edge by S McPherson is a YA (young adult) romance fantasy fiction story. The principle characters are 17 to 18 years old. If you have completed the Harry Potter series and feel bereft of something with a strong vein of the magical running through it and a teen romance is your thing then there is probably no finer novel to pick up next.
So there is the target audience for this story. There must be millions of people in the world that fit this description and it is with this audience
Joey Paul
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because of the blurb and dived right in. I'm not normally a fan of fantasy, but this one had me hooked from the first chapter. I wanted to know more about Dezeray and Lexoia and how the two connected. I loved the way the story was told, how you switched from one world to the next and the love story intertwined between them. I loved that Coldivor wasn't completely fantasical, that they had some basis with Earth, that teens were still teens! It was an amazing read and that ending? ...more
Auburn
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wonderfully written romp into a different world.
Dezaray ends up in a different world and takes over the life of someone who looked exactly like Dezaray. Unfortunately she doesn't know magic. The whole story is just one fun chapter after another.
I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys fantasy and different worlds.
Guy Vestal  - Counter Culture Critic
My Review: Another version of me in another world, that I can make my way to? Isnt one of me enough? Of course for me it is, but for this book, the plot works well. One dimension is the living room I am sitting in now, the other, a magical world of all the fun fantasy things that so many books are made about.

If you read other reviews, you can see we all have basically the same overview, and all trying not to give away too much, if any plot.

For me, this writing seems more like an imaginary frie
LAWonder10
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not what I had expected when I began to read...It was even better than I thought it would be!
After the death of her parents, Dezaray's life changed dramatically. Not only did she battle with feelings of guilt, but so did the growing hate of another feel the same to the point of threatening her very existence! After one particular night of struggle, it seemed that all was coming to an end but then something very unreal happened. A part of a recent dream...a premonition... became real! Ca
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • Severed Wings (Severed Wings, #1)
  • The Boy with Words
  • Beacon's Spark (Potomac Shadows, #1)
  • Distant Dreams
  • Afterworld (Orion Rezner Chronicles, #1)
  • Pawn (Shadow Fate #1)
  • Murder Sidhe Wrote
  • Bleeding Hearts (Demimonde, #1)
  • When Vamps Bite (Bedlam in Bethlehem #1)
  • A Mortal Song
  • Silent Cravings
  • The Shade Amulet (Koven Chronicles Book 1)
  • The Lion and the Unicorn
  • Trials of a Teenage Werevulture (Trilogy of a Teenage Werevulture #1)
  • Adventures of a Vegan Vamp (Vegan Vamp, #1)
  • 50 Quick and Easy Recipes For Breakfast - Including Pancake Recipes, Waffle Recipes and Crepes Recipes (Breakfast Ideas - The Breakfast Recipes Cookbook Collection)
  • 365 Days of Slow-Cooking Recipes
USA Today Bestselling Author

Hi Dreamers & make-believers,

Thanks so much for stopping by!

If you'd like to learn a bit more about me, feel free to send me a message and/or read on:

description

S. McPherson is a young British expat living in Dubai and working as a kindergarten teacher. When she is not at work immersed in a world of imagination and fantasy created by the children, she is immersed in her own worlds

The Last Elentrice (6 books)
  • Caught in the Ripples (The Last Elentrice, #2)
  • Swept Away (The Water Rushes, #3)
  • Once Upon A Tide (The Last Elentrice #4)
  • When Waves Collide (The Last Elentrice #5)
  • Going Under (The Last Elentrice Book 6)

News & Interviews