Start by marking “The Shadow Watch (The Shadow Watch, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Watch (The Shadow Watch, #1)

The Shadow Watch

(The Shadow Watch #1)

For centuries, the Oshan Empire has ruled the New World with terror and blood. The Watchers have been eradicated, and their sorcery is but a whispered myth. But the heart of magic beats on, and as it surges back to life, three young people will determine the fate of the world…

Tori Burodai, a strong-willed slave girl. Her magic could ignite a revolution, but only if she res
Published May 15th 2018 by Guardian Grey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Watch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Watch

Start your review of The Shadow Watch (The Shadow Watch, #1)
S.A. Klopfenstein
Apr 08, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The audiobook is now available on Audible and iTunes!
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
4.5 Stars

I love stories when the weak are raised up to hero status. Tori is the world's salvation but she is humble and continually gets beat down again and again, only to keep surviving and trying to fight the evil from the chancellor.

The story is told in 3 POVs which end up all coming together to center around The Gallows Girl and the chancellor.

Can't wait to see what the next book has in store for these 2.
Nicole
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you so much for sending me your book for an honest review! I LOVED IT! This YA high fantasy book reminds me of The Lord of The Rings, but better. I may be a bit biased though because I think Tolkien was a bad info-dumper. And no, don't @ me about that comment. You can't change my mind.

You can check out my book review on THE SHADOW WATCH below:

Kelli Anderson Blomberg
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't read much fantasy outside LOTR and Harry Potter, but maybe I should start. This book is fantastic, I fell in love with many of the characters, the plot kept me interested the whole time, and the setting was diverse with fabulous landscape descriptions. I can't wait for book 2! ...more
Emily Barfield
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has everything you're looking for in a fantasy novel; magic, monsters and believable protagonists.
The plot naturally flows, guiding you through the new world without feeling like you're being lectured about it's history. It binds characters together, different stories and points of view intersecting to show that not all is black and white, not all are heroes and villains.
Characters naturally evolve and grow; Tori becomes stronger through hard work and suffering rather than innate ability,
May 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for epic-fantasy lovers seeking their next fantastic reading binge, S.A. Klopfenstein's The Shadow Watch is a gritty, compelling, and heartstopping adventure you won't want to miss!

I rarely take a chance on new series these days, not the way I dove headfirst in anything with the fantasy label as a teen. After another decade of reading less for myself and more for my blog, I've forced myself to branch out from my favorite genre. And I've become very good at only choosing books I am fairly
Jenna Rideout
I was granted complimentary access to The Shadow Watch on Audible as part of my participation in a blog tour for this title with Storytellers on Tour. Thank you to all involved in affording me this opportunity! My thoughts are my own and my review is honest.

The Shadow Watch, book one in the series by the same title, is truly an epic fantasy! It's long (the audiobook is 12.5!) but you won't regret a single minute of it. In 400 pages or 12.5 hours, there isn't a single dull moment or accidentally
Asha - A Cat, A Book, And A Cup Of Tea
Content warnings: violence and injury; death; parental death; medical abuse including bloodletting; blood-drinking.

Enjoyable, if slightly by-the-numbers, YA fantasy! I found some of the darkness slightly gratuitous, but that has more to do with my taste than the book; if you enjoy a touch of grimdark in your fantasy, this will fill that role well. There's a hint of romance, a bit of a magical training montage, and a lot of chosen one/face of the rebellion stuff that is so classic in YA fantasy.
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
*** Many thanks to author for providing e-copy, in exchange for honest review. ***

It was interesting first book in fantasy series that revolved around Tori who founds her dormant power in trying to save her friend that triggered series of event and made her to join rebel army.

The story was about power, greed, manipulation, friendship, love, betrayal, letting go of guilt and regrets, embracing gift, saving the world, hope, and responsibilities.

Characters were complex, interesting and flawed. Tori
Adia
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As far as fantasy books go, this has to be amongst my favourites. I read the first draft of this whilst it was on Wattpad when I was on a hunt for well thought out and well written books and I absolutely adored it - I may have even became obsessed with a certain character (the Chancellor was really lovable) and there were times where I would rage at or for certain characters. If a book has the capacity to make you feel emotions like that then that says something about the quality of it.

Seriously
Francesca Jackson
An absolutely fabulous book. This book is amazing. Fantastic characters great storyline and the best start to what will be a wonderful series. A must read for anyone who loves fantasy stories. Totally addictive you will fall in love with the characters as nf their personal stories. Written in different characters point of view, this is a go to series!
Brooke McLeod
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Hey guys! So I received an ARC copy of 'The Shadow Watch' in exchange for an honest review. Now, even though the book is out--I won't be giving away any HUGE spoilers. Just the 'bare' basics. Y'all ready? Here we go!

"For centuries, the Oshan Empire has ruled the New World with terror and blood..."

First things first: this book is a fantastic read. I originally read a part of it on Wattpad and loved it. And later? I finished the novel in about, I don't know, three days? (
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by S.A. Klopfenstein. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.

This book was really interesting and I think that I was really super glad that I somehow found out about this audiobook! I swear there are so many fantasy books out there that don’t get as much hype but are really super good and wow. I loved that this book is in existence hon
Mehvish
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for fantasy and 'The Shadow Watch' has all the elements for an epic adventure. I had no idea how deep I was reeled in till I realised that I was turning pages late into the night to reach THE END, and was left with an ache to read more.

The author has beautifully crafted this tale, with the heroine Tori Burodai who starts off as a seemingly simple slave girl who discovers her magic by accident, and tries to resist the ruler who desires to use her magic for power. For her resistance,
Erin
May 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though read during one of my infamous fantasy binges, The Shadow Watch stood out from the brethren of its genre. Unpredictable with a touch of grimdark, the story flawlessly unfolded in a gloriously cinematic way. Outlawed magic? Shape-shifting monsters? Uber twisted antagonists? Please and thank you.

I loved the characters, though not because they were perfect little peaches, but rather because they were HUMAN, flawed, with lots of shades of gray - which are the BEST kinds. I was invested and wa
Ritsert-Clark, Claudia
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't read much fantasy these days, so I tend to choose my reads pretty carefully. Once in a while, I like to escape into another world and then it's important to me to get a feel for the place. More than that - get a feel for something unique, not just the usual ramparts, dark woods stereotype.
The Shadow Watch gave me exactly that.
It also gave me full, rounded characters that were believable. and likeable (well, most of them).
They also are true characters insofar as the change and develop.
Em
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Shadow Watch is absolutely a must read for anyone into fantasy books, it has such incredible writing and the author did an amazing job of creating the fantasy world for this book! I love that it wasn’t predictable at all and had a lot of little surprises. When I read this book for the first time it was on Wattpad when it was just the first draft of the book and I was so invested with everything that happened to the characters (especially Darien) it’s an amazing book and I definitely recommen ...more
Adam Maybury
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book, I read it on Wattpad, then reread after the backstory change. Both times I thought this book was absolutely amazing, Recommend this to anyone who loves magic, fantasy or rebellion topics. If you enjoyed reading Christopher Paolini's Inheritance cycle (Eragon, eldest, Brisingr, inheritance) then I definitely recommend this! ...more
ShanShan ✨
Jun 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty good. Fast paced and the characters were likable enough. I didn’t connect with any of them much but they were still enjoyable. I liked Ren at first but then he really annoyed me 🤷🏻‍♀️ I don’t even know what is going on between him and Tori. Of anything… I’m hoping to like the second book more and hopefully like the characters more than I do. Especially Kale.
Sarah Cubitt
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, and i am 10000000% recommending to anyone who i know is into this fantasy Genre. the world building is superb and i cant wait to read more about the world.

You can see my full review here; https://youtu.be/msXdDXSsQO0
mic
Apr 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, fiction, romance
The Shadow Watch is an incredible fantasy book. Having not interacted with this genre for a long time, I was surprised.

I think I definitely like these kinds of books! Engaging characters, action, and a well-hearted plot, I highly recommend this one.

Props to the author for sending an ARC!
Shadow
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Once I started reading it, it was hard to stop. S.A. Klopfenstien is a talented and gifted author. I hope he writes many more novels in this series.
Cheryl
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. Looking forward to book 2
Ruth
Apr 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what to say except that this is a really good book and I recommend it to everyone. Lots of twists and turns I bet you'll surely enjoy! ...more
Elise Rose
Jul 17, 2021 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
My Kindle: “perfect for fans of A Court of Thorns and Roses and the Grishaverse.”
Me: *a fan of both those things, my interest piqued*
Don Green
I enjoy fantasy books quite a bit, and this was a fantastic start to a series. I definitely liked the development of the fantasy world, with modern advances, a heroine with magic and unique creatures/monsters that separate the novel from others in its genre. I’m excited for future novels within this world/universe.
Hannah Michaels
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 44%. I thought about trying to finish the book and just not read the second, but I can’t. I’m fucking bored. The characters aren’t all that interesting, the storyline is drab, the world is meh... it’s just not for me.
Clairisa
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read this year! Will give a more detailed review later on. ...more
Rowena Andrews
The Shadow Watch was a fun read, and while it stayed squarely within the familiar margins of fantasy it was a story that feels as though it has a lot of potential.

The worldbuilding was my favourite part of the book and was what immediately hooked me into the story with the prologue and the first chapter. I am generally a fan of worlds where magic has been restricted or disappeared apart from a few traces, and I liked how it was done here, with the creatures attracted to it use. I loved the arra
Susan
It was fun, it was good, but it was a little basic. Tori is our main character and she could be any girl really. She’s nice, sweet, but other than that, she’s lacking personality. From a tragic past to a destined magical future, complete with a power she doesn’t really understand, she’s a standard character type for many fantasy tales. She gets swept into a group of other kids her age all learning to use their powers. So it’s kind of like magic school, but less formal. Then there’s the two roman ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Of Thorns and Beauty (Twisted Pages #1)
  • Fly with the Arrow (Bluebeard's Secret, #1)
  • City of the Dead (The Alchemist,#1)
  • Natural Magic (The Last Magus, #1)
  • The Dragonfly Oath (The Fire Queen's Apprentice, #3)
  • Earthdom (Ether Collapse, #3)
  • The Desert Cursed Series Boxset (Books 1-3)
  • Academy Magic: The Complete Series (The Coven)
  • Sovereign Sacrifice (Air Awakens: Vortex Chronicles, #4)
  • First Sorcerer (Singularity Online, #1)
  • Lightning Disciple (Heirloom Earth, #1)
  • Beta Wolf (Smoky Mountain Pack #2)
  • Fall of Radiance: The Complete Series: (An Epic Fantasy Boxed Set: Books 1-5)
  • Alone in the Wild (Rockton, #5)
  • The Flame and the Blade (Flame and Blade, #1)
  • Vendetta Road (Torpedo Ink, #3)
  • The Faerie Plague (Dark World: The Faerie Games, #5)
  • Familiar Magic (The Last Magus #3)

The Shadow Watch (4 books)
  • The Rage of Saints (The Shadow Watch #2)
  • The Darkling Queen (The Shadow Watch #3)
  • The Well of Shadows (The Shadow Watch #4)