Start by marking “The Shadow Watch (The Shadow Watch, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Watch (The Shadow Watch, #1)

The Shadow Watch

(The Shadow Watch #1)

For centuries, the Oshan Empire has ruled the New World with terror and blood. The Watchers have been eradicated, and their sorcery is but a whispered myth. But the heart of magic beats on, and as it surges back to life, three young people will determine the fate of the world…

Tori Burodai, a strong-willed slave girl. Her magic could ignite a revolution, but only if she res
Published May 15th 2018 by Guardian Grey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Watch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Watch

Start your review of The Shadow Watch (The Shadow Watch, #1)
S.A. Klopfenstein
Apr 08, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The audiobook is now available on Audible and iTunes!
Kelli Anderson Blomberg
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't read much fantasy outside LOTR and Harry Potter, but maybe I should start. This book is fantastic, I fell in love with many of the characters, the plot kept me interested the whole time, and the setting was diverse with fabulous landscape descriptions. I can't wait for book 2!
Nicole
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you so much for sending me your book for my BookTube channel, S.A! I LOVED IT!

You can check out my book review on THE SHADOW WATCH below:

Emily Barfield
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has everything you're looking for in a fantasy novel; magic, monsters and believable protagonists.
The plot naturally flows, guiding you through the new world without feeling like you're being lectured about it's history. It binds characters together, different stories and points of view intersecting to show that not all is black and white, not all are heroes and villains.
Characters naturally evolve and grow; Tori becomes stronger through hard work and suffering rather than innate ability,
Adia
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As far as fantasy books go, this has to be amongst my favourites. I read the first draft of this whilst it was on Wattpad when I was on a hunt for well thought out and well written books and I absolutely adored it - I may have even became obsessed with a certain character (the Chancellor was really lovable) and there were times where I would rage at or for certain characters. If a book has the capacity to make you feel emotions like that then that says something about the quality of it.

Seriously
Francesca Jackson
An absolutely fabulous book. This book is amazing. Fantastic characters great storyline and the best start to what will be a wonderful series. A must read for anyone who loves fantasy stories. Totally addictive you will fall in love with the characters as nf their personal stories. Written in different characters point of view, this is a go to series!
Brooke McLeod
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Hey guys! So I received an ARC copy of 'The Shadow Watch' in exchange for an honest review. Now, even though the book is out--I won't be giving away any HUGE spoilers. Just the 'bare' basics. Y'all ready? Here we go!

"For centuries, the Oshan Empire has ruled the New World with terror and blood..."

First things first: this book is a fantastic read. I originally read a part of it on Wattpad and loved it. And later? I finished the novel in about, I don't know, three days? (
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by S.A. Klopfenstein. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.

This book was really interesting and I think that I was really super glad that I somehow found out about this audiobook! I swear there are so many fantasy books out there that don’t get as much hype but are really super good and wow. I loved that this book is in existence hon
Mehvish
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for fantasy and 'The Shadow Watch' has all the elements for an epic adventure. I had no idea how deep I was reeled in till I realised that I was turning pages late into the night to reach THE END, and was left with an ache to read more.

The author has beautifully crafted this tale, with the heroine Tori Burodai who starts off as a seemingly simple slave girl who discovers her magic by accident, and tries to resist the ruler who desires to use her magic for power. For her resistance,
Ritsert-Clark, Claudia
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't read much fantasy these days, so I tend to choose my reads pretty carefully. Once in a while, I like to escape into another world and then it's important to me to get a feel for the place. More than that - get a feel for something unique, not just the usual ramparts, dark woods stereotype.
The Shadow Watch gave me exactly that.
It also gave me full, rounded characters that were believable. and likeable (well, most of them).
They also are true characters insofar as the change and develop.
Em
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Shadow Watch is absolutely a must read for anyone into fantasy books, it has such incredible writing and the author did an amazing job of creating the fantasy world for this book! I love that it wasn’t predictable at all and had a lot of little surprises. When I read this book for the first time it was on Wattpad when it was just the first draft of the book and I was so invested with everything that happened to the characters (especially Darien) it’s an amazing book and I definitely recommen ...more
Adam Maybury
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book, I read it on Wattpad, then reread after the backstory change. Both times I thought this book was absolutely amazing, Recommend this to anyone who loves magic, fantasy or rebellion topics. If you enjoyed reading Christopher Paolini's Inheritance cycle (Eragon, eldest, Brisingr, inheritance) then I definitely recommend this!
Sarah Cubitt
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, and i am 10000000% recommending to anyone who i know is into this fantasy Genre. the world building is superb and i cant wait to read more about the world.

You can see my full review here; https://youtu.be/msXdDXSsQO0
Shadow
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Once I started reading it, it was hard to stop. S.A. Klopfenstien is a talented and gifted author. I hope he writes many more novels in this series.
Cheryl
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. Looking forward to book 2
Don Green
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy fantasy books quite a bit, and this was a fantastic start to a series. I definitely liked the development of the fantasy world, with modern advances, a heroine with magic and unique creatures/monsters that separate the novel from others in its genre. I’m excited for future novels within this world/universe.
Hannah Michaels
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 44%. I thought about trying to finish the book and just not read the second, but I can’t. I’m fucking bored. The characters aren’t all that interesting, the storyline is drab, the world is meh... it’s just not for me.
Susan
It was fun, it was good, but it was a little basic. Tori is our main character and she could be any girl really. She’s nice, sweet, but other than that, she’s lacking personality. From a tragic past to a destined magical future, complete with a power she doesn’t really understand, she’s a standard character type for many fantasy tales. She gets swept into a group of other kids her age all learning to use their powers. So it’s kind of like magic school, but less formal. Then there’s the two roman ...more
Joshua Lawson
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll jump right in, as the publisher's summary is the perfect amount of information on the story itself...

There is a lot to like about this book. The main characters are complicated people instead of archetypes, the writing is intelligent and doesn't shy back from discomfort, nor is it brutal for brutality's sake when it could have been. I think labelling this a "teen" or YA series is accurate, but in the same way that, for example, some of Brandon Sanderson's series could be labeled YA. That is
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
whoooooooooh this was so much of the good stuff

Overall 4 out of 5 stars
Performance 4 out of 5 stars
Story 4 out of 5 stars

Whooooooooh. Vivid. Stirring. Insightful. Intriguing. Fanciful. Steady. Balance. Magic & mystical. Twist & turns. Good vs Evil. The deed of one was all by mistake. She had a will so strong that it triggered something deep within. The ins and outs of this world was not one dimensional. The characters had layers. The direction of this one was clear that it would be a good one a
The Mysterious Reader
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
S.A. Klopfenstein’s The Shadow Watch (The Shadow Watch series Book 1) is a powerful novel of what I anticipate will be an equally powerful series. Tori Burodai is a great leading character and it is s pleasure to follow as she breaks away from her lowborn to near mythical powers and follow as the repressive society also faces change and its entrenched rulers react. Great stuff. Great book. But for the fact that I’m literally dictating this review to my husband from my hospital bed I could go on ...more
The Mysterious Reader
Zack Argyle
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a very fun read. The main character, Tori, discovers her powers while trying to save a friend, and in so doing becomes the unexpected face of the revolution to bring back magic to the world. She reminds me of a mix of Katniss Everdeen (Mockingjay -> Gallows Girl, Peeta -> Darien) and Vin from Mistborn (mistborn -> mage, Kelsier -> Ren). The plot moved quickly and worked well. I really enjoyed the antagonist, Cyrus Maro, who's motivations were believable and wonderfully manipulative. The ...more
Donna
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Shadow Watch is the first book in the Shadow Watch series. This story takes place in a wonderfully created fantasy world. The characters are very relatable and beautiful prose brought them to life. This is quite an adventure that by the last page you will want more. You will be anxious for the next book. Received a copy from Hidden Gems and this is my voluntary and honest review.
Manoj Ramachandran
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Great premise but the story hardly moved. I'm having a tough time deciding if the characters were developed enough to justify the lack of story progress. Will definitely stick with the series to see where the author takes the characters.
Stephen Torrence
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful!

Thank you to the author of this book. The characters and places in this book took me on a wonderful and suspensful journey that I couldn't put down. I've downloaded the second book and cant wait to dive in!
Julian
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Fantasy by the numbers. Generic heroine with a special destiny - check. Two competing love interests, one of which is a bad boy - check. Magic high school - check. Snarky BFF and mean girl at school - check. Not even unique enough to be bad. Just uninteresting.
Louise
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great start

This was a really good first story. Hard going in some places, not difficult to read, but more, overwhelming. I kept having to put it down just to absorb the parts I'd read. Whilst I don't really like the 2 main characters very much, their story is interesting.
Lyssa  F
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened through Audible. The narrator was a good fit for this tale. The characters were good but The story dragged. Magic, distrust, war, torture, poison, blood letting, hunger, monsters, love but through it all there is hope. Interesting story line. I wished it moved along faster.
Tracy
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read about a thousand books a year and I found this to be a good read through out. The characters had depth even the small part ones. I looking forward to the next one.

• The Makings of a Warrior (The Sylvan Chronicles, #4)
  • Daughter of Shades (The Venatrix Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragon Called (Deadweed Dragons Book 1)
  • The Raptor of the Highlands (The Sylvan Chronicles, #3)
  • The King of Burning Skies (Serpents and Kings, #2)
  • The Call of the Sylvana (The Sylvan Chronicles, #2)
  • The Legend of the Kestrel (The Sylvan Chronicles, #1)
  • Paranormal Nonsense (Blue Moon Investigations, #1)
  • Curse of the Fae King (Dark Faerie Court #1)
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal #1)
  • Dragon Assassin (Dragon Assassin Omnibus Book 1)
  • The Queen of Cursed Things (Serpents and Kings, #1)
  • Court of Ruins (The Fallen Fae, #1)
  • Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)
  • Visions of Fate (The Venatrix Chronicles, #2)
  • Forest Dragon (The Dragon Misfits #3)
  • The Water Legacy (Hidden Legends: Academy of Magical Creatures, #2)
  • City of the Dead (The Alchemist Book #1)

The Shadow Watch (2 books)
  • The Rage of Saints (The Watcher Epic Book 2)